Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky
Am I correct in assuming that manufacturers have largely given up on component audio outputs? I'm finding it very hard to get details, even on Amazon. If the new consensus is optical, that's fine, I'd just like to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Acrophyte posted:

Am I correct in assuming that manufacturers have largely given up on component audio outputs? I'm finding it very hard to get details, even on Amazon. If the new consensus is optical, that's fine, I'd just like to know.

Pretty much. My new tv has optical out and a 3.5mm headphone jack and that's it in the way of audio outputs. Even component inputs are going the way of the ghost, my 2014 and 2012 LG TV have a singular shared composite/component input. With things like ARC you can route your sound back to a receiver from FTA channels or if you are using a soundbar, they pretty much have all optical inputs. RCA is a dying connection.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Acrophyte posted:

Yeah, the loss of analog audio outputs really pisses me off. How much money can dropping those outputs possibly save? (It's probably more about saving space/weight etc.) but still) I have an old but solid 2-channel stereo amp that I use for all my video and music needs, and I'm in no hurry to buy a new receiver just for digital support.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Acrophyte posted:

You mean coax spdif?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think he means 2 channel analog RCA.

You can get an optical to Analog RCA converter for less than $25. So, you can preserve your two channel amp if you want.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=6884&seq=1&format=2

Only caveat is you might run into issues if your TV tries to do DD 5.1 instead of just 2 channel PCM. That may be adjustable in the TV's settings though.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 9, 2015

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

vyst posted:

So I have a weird issue I wonder if anyone's heard of. I have a Samsung 40in LED - http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN40H5203-40-Inch-1080p-Smart/dp/B00K4UIOA4 for context. On any input, including the menu's for the sources and the apps I have this issue where it looks like the screen is split into two different brightness/contrast levels right down the middle top to bottom. As if it were a demo display of two different levels of brightness/contrast (even though I checked and it's not in demo mode). I put in a support request with Samsung but I'd figure I'd ask and see if anyone had heard of anything like this.

The split of the brightness levels is right down the middle.

Just an update it was a bad LCD controller - they replaced the entire screen for me gratis. So yay no more weird split screen brightness issues.

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

bull3964 posted:

I think he means 2 channel analog RCA.
That's the one. :)

quote:

Only caveat is you might run into issues if your TV tries to do DD 5.1 instead of just 2 channel PCM. That may be adjustable in the TV's settings though.

My current setup is RCA analog to a Yamaha stereo (2.0) that I got for free ages ago. (The stereo itself has RCA inputs.) I know I'll eventually get an HDMI receiver but I try not to punish my wallet too much in one sitting.

I have a 3.5mm jack to RCA cable already, but I get the feeling that output is also dying. At least I don't see it in many spec sheets.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Acrophyte posted:

My current setup is RCA analog to a Yamaha stereo (2.0) that I got for free ages ago. (The stereo itself has RCA inputs.) I know I'll eventually get an HDMI receiver but I try not to punish my wallet too much in one sitting.

I have a 3.5mm jack to RCA cable already, but I get the feeling that output is also dying. At least I don't see it in many spec sheets.

I think they'll keep 3.5mm jacks around for headphone use (that's what it's for), at least until TVs get advanced enough to drive USB headphones.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thinking about getting a 42"~ 4k tv, and something to run a Plex client on it. Any recommendations for such a setup? I realize that Plex won't actually play things at 4k right now, but I'd like bluray stuff to look decent.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
So I've narrowed my choices to 70" Sharp LE6600U, Vizio E, or M from Costco. Some viewers will be closer to the screen and to and angle, since I have a sectional. Is the M series worth it for what seems like a slightly more reliable panel than the E? Or is the Sharp better than both?

If somehow a 70" P series goes on sale for <$1500 for the Super Bowl I'll totally get that instead.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The m series gives you a true 120hz panel for 5:5 pulldown while the E series is a 60hz panel and will have to use 3:2 pulldown.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

soy posted:

Thinking about getting a 42"~ 4k tv, and something to run a Plex client on it. Any recommendations for such a setup? I realize that Plex won't actually play things at 4k right now, but I'd like bluray stuff to look decent.

Try the Plex thread for Plex advice.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Anyone know how the Sony KDL32W700B compares to the W800B? The 800 looks good but it's way out of my price range.

Lucinice fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 12, 2015

Ajax 99
Jul 14, 2006
Kibbles 'n bits? I think not!
Buglord

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I just bought a Vizio 48 in tv and purchased a Vizio sound stand (originally $148 but I got it at Walmart for $98). It is awesome (improves the tv sound wonderfully). I am not willing to say it is the best but it offers everything I could want and even has bluetooth.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-2.0-Sound-Stand/38764128
Thank you for this. I went to Walmart this weekend, and they had a stack of these for $148.00, but they price matched the website for me. The sound is much better then my TV's speakers.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Welp, replaced all the major caps on the power board (including the bulging one), but no dice. Still same dim picture. At least it was the cheapest thing I could try.

Maybe my initial guess was correct, should probably replace the inverter board next. Since the OSD menus are affected just like the input signal, it ought to be either the backlight, or the T-con board, if google is any judge. And dim picture never seems to be attributed to the T-con board, from what I can see. Well, a replacement inverter board is only £24.00 so let's try that.

Got a replacement inverter board for £22, which isn't bad considering, but it made no difference. And actually the same little transformer measures as infinity Ohms as on my old one so I guess that's by design.

So, not the power caps, not the inverters. Remains to try main board and t-con board. Or maybe the panel is just broken. :sigh:

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Thinking it's time to move towards getting a decent TV, finally.

Desired Size: 45-55"
To be used mainly for: Vidya games. Probably netflix and chromecast and Steam in-home streaming if they ever figure that out, too.
Smart TV functionality: None desired. Intending to use a Chromecast or some other sort of widget for any of that type of use.
3D functionality: None desired.
Lighting environment: Flexible.
Audio environment: No existing sound equipment. Not intending to set up for surround sound.
Budget: $1200 including soundbar if the TV has poo poo audio.
Other considerations: Composite connections a plus. Plenty of HDMI ports (more than 2) also a plus.

If $1200 isn't enough to afford a setup worth looking at I can delay the purchase and put more money aside, but I'm not intending to drop thousands on an OLED. Mostly eyeing the midgrade range and know fuckall about the current market.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

To be used mainly for: Vidya games. Probably netflix and chromecast and Steam in-home streaming if they ever figure that out, too.
Smart TV functionality: None desired. Intending to use a Chromecast or some other sort of widget for any of that type of use.
Audio environment: No existing sound equipment. Not intending to set up for surround sound.
Other considerations: Composite connections a plus. Plenty of HDMI ports (more than 2) also a plus.

If $1200 isn't enough to afford a setup worth looking at I can delay the purchase and put more money aside, but I'm not intending to drop thousands on an OLED. Mostly eyeing the midgrade range and know fuckall about the current market.

Vizio M + Vizio sound bar.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

ColHannibal posted:

Vizio M + Vizio sound bar.

I have a Vizio M series 49 inch tv with the 42 inch 5.1 sound bar and couldn't be happier with it. Use it for movies, netflix and vidya games. 4 HDMI ports available.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Don Lapre posted:

The m series gives you a true 120hz panel for 5:5 pulldown while the E series is a 60hz panel and will have to use 3:2 pulldown.

A 65" M and 70" E are about the same price at Costco. It 120hz worth giving up 5"?

Edit: Also I'll need a new Blu-Ray player. I don't care about smart features, TV and other devices have that covered. Should I just be getting the cheapest Sony or Samsung I can find? I've got a 2008 Panasonic upstairs that takes over a minute to load a disk, so that's all I want to avoid.

WeaselWeaz fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 14, 2015

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
What's "micro dimming" on a LED-lit LCD? Is it just some ploy to make it sound like the TV has local dimming?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

What's "micro dimming" on a LED-lit LCD? Is it just some ploy to make it sound like the TV has local dimming?

The TV does have local dimming. Micro dimming is some further manipulation that Samsung does with the LCD cells to enhance the effect.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hey guys, I am having a little trouble with a new plasma set (Panasonic 60pb6650).

The screen seems pretty dark in normal operation. The funny thing is, when I open the Settings menu, the TV brightens considerably. The minute I exit settings, it dims again. If I could just retain that level of brightness, that would be perfect. It's pretty frustrating. I've tweaked the typical brightness settings to the max and disabled eco mode so it probably isn't anything too obvious...

Does anyone know what might be causing something like this?

EDIT: Ok this is actually getting kind of weird. It seems like the more white is on the screen, the more it dims the screen. So for instance, if I open Google in a browser window and drag it mostly off the screen, what's left is very white. Then as I move it inwards so that more of the screen is covered by the white browser window, it gets darker??

Taima fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 15, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Taima posted:

EDIT: Ok this is actually getting kind of weird. It seems like the more white is on the screen, the more it dims the screen. So for instance, if I open Google in a browser window and drag it mostly off the screen, what's left is very white. Then as I move it inwards so that more of the screen is covered by the white browser window, it gets darker??

This is called ABL and its normal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHndICrpxqs

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Taima posted:

Hey guys, I am having a little trouble with a new plasma set (Panasonic 60pb6650).

That's not a Panasonic but a LG.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I feel like a badass today, I posted a few weeks in here ago about a Samsung screen of mine that died and maybe looking into getting a new screen.

Well between then and now I ordered a set of replacement capacitors and took apart the Samsung, swapping out the blown components. TV now working great, I am the ruler of all I survey.

Hopefully I can get a couple more years out of it, give 4k some more time to come down in price.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

NihilismNow posted:

That's not a Panasonic but a LG.

Hmm ok thank you. It looks like i may be able to disable or lessen it via the service menu, is that a safe idea or will it cause my plasma to blow up?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Taima posted:

Hmm ok thank you. It looks like i may be able to disable or lessen it via the service menu, is that a safe idea or will it cause my plasma to blow up?

Only if someone else has done it and not broken things, and you do not touch anything else. and write down the original values.

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky
I'm looking for a 50-55" 1080p LED and i'd like to keep it no higher than $800.

I saw this Samsung 50" at Best Buy ($747.99)

And the love I've been reading on here for Vizio has me looking at this M Series 49" ($540)

Is the only reason for the difference in price the Samsung brand and the extra 1"? I thought they were both "true" 120hz but Don's comment earlier has me second-guessing myself. If they are the same or nearly so then color me shocked because that is quite a deal on the Vizio (and it even has RCA audio outputs!)

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
They have different types of panels. The Samsung is edge lit, and the Vizio is full-array IPS. Saying that makes it sound like the Vizio is better but that's not necessarily the case.

Here are some reviews:

http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/vizio/m-series
http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/samsung/h6350

Note also you should look in the comments about the Samsung "panel lottery." If you get an "A" panel code that's the cheap chinese panel, if you get the "W" one that's a Samsung panel.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 16, 2015

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

Elysium posted:

Samsung "panel lottery."

I did notice that, is there any remediation if I "lose" the lottery? I plan on buying through Amazon but I've never had to return something.

Edit:
vvvv I've only known Haier to make window a/c units vvvv

Acrophyte fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 17, 2015

Zombones
Oct 17, 2004
So I'm looking at picking up a TV this weekend. I have a limited budget and am looking to get the biggest size I can afford. I don't really know anything about TVs and this would be my first LED. I definitely want a 55 or bigger if possible.

I found these two TVs so far.

This one caught my eye for the size and price but I can't really find many reviews about it anywhere

http://www.pcrichard.com/Haier/Haier-58inch-Class-LED-HDTV/LE58F3281.pcrp

The other is this Vizio E Series from Best Buy. I've heard very good things about Vizio in general, but the different Series' I know nothing about

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-e-series-55-class-54-5-8-diag--led-1080p-smart-hdtv-black/3320006.p?id=1219090455813&skuId=3320006

Ideally I'd like the bigger one but I'm also looking for quality. If anyone has any experience with Haier I'd love to hear it!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Alright this is probably a dumb question but what the hell. I need a new remote for my Bravia TV, the power button is all messed up. I don't really need a Harmony remote, since all we use the TV for is Netflix via PC and sometimes some Wii.

Is there a go-to "simple" replacement remote?

Edit: Sorry forgot one important detail. I have a Polk soundbar, so the remote needs to be able to be paired with that. It was pretty simple for the soundbar to learn the inputs of my Bravia remote so I assume it shouldn't be a big deal?

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 19, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Harmony 200/300 are good remotes and run $20-$30

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky
Ended up ordering the Sony W800B 50" as it has seriously low input lag, good for whenever the next Battlefield comes out. It's actually a 3D model (which I'm agnostic on), but the comparable Samsung was about $100 more (with no 3D :raise:). Also that "Samsung panel lottery" had me leery of getting hosed. Limited viewing range but I don't have tons of people over to watch TV regularly anyway.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Acrophyte posted:

Ended up ordering the Sony W800B 50" as it has seriously low input lag, good for whenever the next Battlefield comes out. It's actually a 3D model (which I'm agnostic on), but the comparable Samsung was about $100 more (with no 3D :raise:). Also that "Samsung panel lottery" had me leery of getting hosed. Limited viewing range but I don't have tons of people over to watch TV regularly anyway.

The viewing angle isn't all that bad they make it out to be. Mine is next to my desk and angled to minimize the issue. Colors still look fine.

Otherwise a great TV.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Are you me? I'm pretty sure you are me.

You folks suggested the Vizio Ms for this guy and they do seem excellent, but are there any alternatives for people abroad? Can't get a Vizio in the EU I think.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Micro Dimming is a software feature from Samsung that alters the contrast settings (but NOT the LED backlighting) on specific zones of the tv based on the coloring/content that is present there to make it look like it is enhancing the blacks of the screen. They often couple this with global LED dimming to make the entire screen's illumination darker when it detects that the picture is either completely black or very dark.

It's not a very good replacement for true local dimming, plasma or OLED, as it's just software mucking with contrast ratios of the image going to your screen. Some people may like it though.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Why are the Vizio M's the same price for 49" and 50"? Googling tells me that the 49 is an IPS while the 50 is a VA. I don't know what that means, but I'm guessing the 49 is "better" if it costs the same as a larger display?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Why are the Vizio M's the same price for 49" and 50"? Googling tells me that the 49 is an IPS while the 50 is a VA. I don't know what that means, but I'm guessing the 49 is "better" if it costs the same as a larger display?

Bright room and you need amazing viewing angles, get the IPS. Want the best contrast at the expense of viewing angles, get the VA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Don Lapre posted:

Bright room and you need amazing viewing angles, get the IPS. Want the best contrast at the expense of viewing angles, get the VA.

Easy enough, thanks!

Mount related question - My old TV is 200x200 VESA pattern (42") and the new one is also 200x200 but at 49". The mount on my wall is some no-name piece of garbage, but I SHOULD be able to just remove the bracket from the old and put on the new, since they're both the same VESA pattern, right?