Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It turns out that the thing about Romney arriving by helicopter was a false press rumor. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

joeburz posted:

It's more about you being butthurt over common core but yeah its a derail.

Common core is poo poo, just because its a Democrat initiative don't make it less poo poo.

Joementum posted:

It turns out that the thing about Romney arriving by helicopter was a false press rumor. :smith:

Why would he arrive by helicopter? I doubt an unelected Republican ex-governor is able to jet to any aircraft carrier willy-nilly during a Democratic administration. No, far more likely that Romney will take a swift boat or walk the gangplank.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

Common core is poo poo, just because its a Democrat initiative don't make it less poo poo.

Why would he arrive by helicopter? I doubt an unelected Republican ex-governor is able to jet to any aircraft carrier willy-nilly during a Democratic administration. No, far more likely that Romney will take a swift boat or walk the gangplank.

What's wrong with a set of standards all kids must reach, broken down by year?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DemeaninDemon posted:

Must reach or else...?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DemeaninDemon posted:

Because it can't fix everything wrong with education, thus it's worse than doing nothing.
:goonsay:

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Agnosticnixie posted:

You are either trolling, lying, or trying to universalize a very limited experience. The vast majority of the world's academics are more likely to know the german than the latin nomenclature or most of these things and moved past latin nearly a century ago.

What academics are you talking about? Because biology still extensively uses latin names.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

God just seeing that makes me smile remembering how insanely sick of a burn that whole exchange was. You don't normally get to call something in a debate a "sick burn" without being obviously hyperbolic but that was an exception for the ages.
And even this was eclipsed just weeks later by "Proceed, Governor..."

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Stultus Maximus posted:

Must reach or else...?

Teacher reviews student and makes a recommendation on whether or not to hold them back? I dunno we could throw the kid into the Grand Canyon if it makes you feel better.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

FAUXTON posted:

God just seeing that makes me smile remembering how insanely sick of a burn that whole exchange was. You don't normally get to call something in a debate a "sick burn" without being obviously hyperbolic but that was an exception for the ages.

Any worse and it would have just been "look motherfucker nobody has used battleships for a hundred years" which it pretty much was, just sanitized for the virgin ears of America.

No, the best part was that a day or so after the debate, there was some nonsense circulating social media about horses and bayonets released after the fact that showed that Obama was wrong on some stupid technicality, probably involving him being a Muslim

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Everblight posted:

And even this was eclipsed just weeks later by "Proceed, Governor..."

Yeah but by that time Romney was pretty much toast, that last debate was just the last inch of the last nail, the Flensburg era of the Romney campaign if you will.

http://youtu.be/-IW6PwJYcOc it's about 5:15 or so in if you feel like reliving the moment.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
:stare:

Majority of U.S. public school students are in poverty

quote:

For the first time in at least 50 years, a majority of U.S. public school students come from low-income families, according to a new analysis of 2013 federal data, a statistic that has profound implications for the nation.

The Southern Education Foundation reports that 51 percent of students in pre-kindergarten through 12th grade were eligible under the federal program for free and reduced-price lunches in the 2012-2013 school year. The lunch program is a rough proxy for poverty, but the explosion in the number of needy children in the nation’s public classrooms is a recent phenomenon that has been gaining attention among educators, public officials and researchers.

“We’ve all known this was the trend, that we would get to a majority, but it’s here sooner rather than later,” said Michael A. Rebell, the executive director of the Campaign for Educational Equity at Columbia University, noting that the poverty rate has been increasing even as the economy has improved. “A lot of people at the top are doing much better, but the people at the bottom are not doing better at all. Those are the people who have the most children and send their children to public school.”

They're using the higher free/reduced lunch eligibility thresholds but that's still nasty.

I found a PDF which shows the '14 - '15 thresholds:

Treads
Mar 1, 2003

DemeaninDemon posted:

As an idea, there is nothing wrong. The devil is in the details, however. It's notoriously hard to implement a standard program to do this. One of the biggest problems is that teaching is incredibly situation specific, so the more you try to boilerplate a standard solution, the more you are likely to fail. To make matters worse, solutions with consequences("must reach") have so far inevitably caused well funded school districts in well to do areas to gain more funding, and poor schools to get less. Rich kids do better, poor kids do worse essentially. This is setting aside the fact that students in poor school districts are often already massively disadvantaged due little to no home/parental support.

As a concept, standards would be a bit more effective by saying roughly "reach this line, I don't care how you do it". As it is, they are both determining the line, and what you have to do to reach it. Still even setting a line ignores the fact that depending on your students, you should have vastly different goals for the semester. Teaching is not like assembling a car.

Also, as already alluded to, the penalty system causes teachers to only teach to pass the tests in order to get money. Generally, the result of this is the the teacher in question has to rush through the material, and rely on the students doing rote memorization. This leads to a fairly substandard understanding of the material.

Treads fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 16, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DemeaninDemon posted:

Because it doesn't matter whether the students are able to reach those metrics if the students don't comprehend why they've achieved those metrics.

Treads posted:

As a concept, standards would be a bit more effective by saying roughly "reach this line, I don't care how you do it". As it is, they are both determining the line, and what you have to do to reach it. Still even setting a line ignores the fact that depending on your students, you should have vastly different goals for the semester. Teaching is not like assembling a car.

Also, as already alluded to, the penalty system causes teachers to only teach to pass the tests in order to get money. Generally, the result of this is the the teacher in question has to rush through the material, and rely on the students doing rote memorization. This leads to a fairly substandard understanding of the material.

Bingo. Common Core is absolute poo poo which only makes it harder to improve non-core instructional methodology and which brings down the quality of education for all students receiving non-rote didactiary educations.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 16, 2015

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DemeaninDemon posted:

Teacher reviews student and makes a recommendation on whether or not to hold them back? I dunno we could throw the kid into the Grand Canyon if it makes you feel better.

Yes, holding vast numbers of largely poor and minority students back will surely advance American society. Good call.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There's also the question of exactly why these standards are standards. What makes the cut for what students "need to know"?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

chitoryu12 posted:

There's also the question of exactly why these standards are standards. What makes the cut for what students "need to know"?

http://www.corestandards.org/about-the-standards/development-process/

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

chitoryu12 posted:

National politics. Education should be adapted to local comminities, by local communities. You think people bitch about the Texas educational material development issues? Just wait for several terms of Republican-dominated Congress realizing how to game Common Core to promote a national political agenda.

Students will rise to meet expectations. When those expectations are a core of poo poo, you're not giving students anything to achieve.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

Because it doesn't matter whether the students are able to reach those metrics if the students don't comprehend why they've achieved those metrics.

Yeah, say what you will about the education in the US when it comes to math and science but our school system is amongst the world leader in teaching kids how to actually think critically instead of just memorize facts and formulas.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Treads posted:

As an idea, there is nothing wrong. The devil is in the details, however. It's notoriously hard to implement a standard program to do this. One of the biggest problems is that teaching is incredibly situation specific, so the more you try to boilerplate a standard solution, the more you are likely to fail. To make matters worse, solutions with consequences("must reach") have so far inevitably caused well funded school districts in well to do areas to gain more funding, and poor schools to get less. Rich kids do better, poor kids do worse essentially. This is setting aside the fact that students in poor school districts are often already massively disadvantaged due little to no home/parental support.

This seems like a critique of mandatory testing tied to funding which sucks for the reasons you list. But mandatory testing tied to funding isn't something Common Core introduced. Common Core is changing the content on those mandatory tests to something hopefully a little more useful.

So basically what I'm saying is, yes we can blame Bush for this.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

My Imaginary GF posted:

National politics. Education should be adapted to local comminities, by local communities. You think people bitch about the Texas educational material development issues? Just wait for several terms of Republican-dominated Congress realizing how to game Common Core to promote a national political agenda.

Students will rise to meet expectations. When those expectations are a core of poo poo, you're not giving students anything to achieve.

It would be quite the trick for Congress to game a non-binding standards initiative created by the national governors' association.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yeah, say what you will about the education in the US when it comes to math and science but our school system is amongst the world leader in teaching kids how to actually think critically instead of just memorize facts and formulas.

Well that's just part of the problem.

quote:

Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

It would be quite the trick for Congress to game a non-binding standards initiative created by the national governors' association.

Never underestimate Congress' willingness to co-opt standards for political gain.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

420DD Butts posted:

What academics are you talking about? Because biology still extensively uses latin names.

God, thank you. I wanted to exit the thread, but that loving comment by Agnosticnixie... He's like the dumbest motherfucker on the planet. Trying to tell me that loving doctors sit around in academic journals writing about "DA BIG MUSCLE ON DA CHEST" and not the "Pectoralis Major". And that I'm trolling or lying because I claim that lawyers and doctors actively use Latin phrases through all of their work, or that I'm just making up lists like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_legal_Latin_terms

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_medical_roots,_suffixes_and_prefixes

MOTHERFUCKER, THE WHOLE loving THING IS LATIN. Plus some Greek, which I also teach, and god dammit, I'm certified in German too, and I teach that as well you stupid poo poo.

I just want to leave the politics thread to people talking about politics. Why do dumbshits who know nothing about education always have to keep sticking their tiny dicks out and act like experts?

MEANWHILE, IN POLITICS:

Treads posted:

This man actually understands the situation. Education is impossible to standardize in the way you might standardize business because you have no control over your inputs. Imagine you own a car manufacturing company with multiple factories. As a business owner, you would base merit pay for employees on how well they manufactured cars, which can be quantitatively measured. What if one plant got high quality raw materials to build cars out of, and another literally got recycled junk from wrecked, rusty poo poo. Can you legitimately say that the workers at the plant with the poo poo materials, or even the cars themselves can be objectively judged? Well, guess what: education is nothing like a business because you have no control over the raw materials you get. I could extend the metaphor farther to talk about the fact that you'd want to produce pickup trucks in rural markets and small city cars in urban areas. There is no one definition of educational success, unless you live in a tiny, homogeneous country, whose social programs have created a common level of student material input. We have exactly the opposite in America, and American educational politics of the past forty years have been hand-crafted to increase the gap.

Majority of U.S. public school students are in poverty

Insert Ron Paul: IT'S HAPPENING! GIF

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Good God you write like such an rear end in a top hat man!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Quidam Viator posted:

God, thank you. I wanted to exit the thread, but that loving comment by Agnosticnixie... He's like the dumbest motherfucker on the planet. Trying to tell me that loving doctors sit around in academic journals writing about "DA BIG MUSCLE ON DA CHEST" and not the "Pectoralis Major". And that I'm trolling or lying because I claim that lawyers and doctors actively use Latin phrases through all of their work, or that I'm just making up lists like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_legal_Latin_terms

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_medical_roots,_suffixes_and_prefixes

MOTHERFUCKER, THE WHOLE loving THING IS LATIN. Plus some Greek, which I also teach, and god dammit, I'm certified in German too, and I teach that as well you stupid poo poo.

Don't leave the thread because a stupid poo poo doesn't understand the realities of the issue beyond their talking points and personal agenda. What American education could use is greater teacher autonomy and resource allocation, and less student resource allocation. American education is far too inefficient and unfocused for what it attempts to achieve, and innovative methods exist which not only improve student achievement of standardized metrics, they increase teacher quality, accountability, and parent/teacher engagement, for a greatly reduced cost than current structures of education.

What America could use more of is less money in education, more money for teachers, and reallocation of some of the cost-savings to community stabilization programs to engender collective efficacy. And that's what I loving do, and common core adds unnecessary barriers to doing so.

Zelder posted:

Good God you write like such an rear end in a top hat man!

:qq: He's an rear end in a top hat, don't listen to him! He may be spot on, don't listen to him! :qq:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Quidam Viator posted:

And that I'm trolling or lying because I claim that lawyers and doctors actively use Latin phrases through all of their work,

I'm a lawyer, and I can tell you that while there are a fair amount of latin phrases that are still used (though nowhere near as many as you'd think, and people are more and more replacing them with english) knowing latin is not a big help. The reason is that when a judge or a lawyer is using a latin phrase, they're using it because they want to be very clearly involving a very specific legal meaning or doctrine. For example, if a court does something "sua sponte", like the literal translation says it means "of their own accord". But the reason you're using latin is you want to convey a very specific meaning: that a court did something without a party to that case requesting it (either explicitly or implicitly). You use the latin because you want to be precise that you mean the court did something on its own in the legal meaning, not in the meaning that "well man we thought they should do X, but they just went and did Y despite the law not being that at all" or anything else like that. Similarly, a "pro se" person is not just someone "on one' s own behalf" it means a party to a case (the defendant in a criminal trial, or the person suing or being sued in a lawsuit) who does not have a lawyer (and, in many cases, this means the court has to treat everything they say/do differently).

Anytime you're using latin for any other reason in legal writing you probably look like an rear end in a top hat and should just convert it to English. And anytime you're reading a latin phrase you don't know you don't translate it and move on, it's time to do some research and figure out what the legal concept is.

edit: skimming the wikipedia link, the vast majority of phrases in there you should never use if it's past the 1800s.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 16, 2015

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I didn't say anything about his message, I think he's probably right about what he's saying. Honestly too many people in this thread thing that "as smugly as possible" is the best way to communicate.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

DemeaninDemon posted:

Administrator reviews teacher because when student doesn't pass the teacher's class it's the teacher's fault, not the students. Students are not responsible for learning, the teacher is responsible for teaching. How do we know if the teacher is doing a bad job? Look at the high stakes test scores. Some teachers performance evaluations are based 40% on how well the student did on a standardized test. It doesn't matter if the kid draws pictures in the circles on the scantron sheet and turns it in, it's the teacher's fault no matter what if that kid doesn't do well on the test.

So then the teacher is given a bad grade, their pay is docked and possibly they lose their job because of how some students did on a standardized test.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

evilweasel posted:

Anytime you're using latin for any other reason in legal writing you probably look like an rear end in a top hat and should just convert it to English. And anytime you're reading a latin phrase you don't know you don't translate it and move on, it's time to do some research and figure out what the legal concept is.

edit: skimming the wikipedia link, the vast majority of phrases in there you should never use if it's past the 1800s.

Yeah, the profession would be much better off if students were beaten over the head with the redbook rather than the bluebook.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I was going to stay out of this, but you were aggressive enough to deserve a response:

I am a scientist, and a biologist. I hardly know any Latin besides what you pick up from roots and knowing Spanish, and at no point in my career have I ever thought it even might be helpful in even the slightest possible way for anything related to biology, medicine, or science as a whole. And yes, I have had to learn human anatomy.

I don't care to get into a fight over what learning Latin is good for — I imagine it has value, somewhere, and so I will just grant you that point — but "anatomy still uses it" is a damned stupid reason to care about Latin.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Quidam Viator posted:

No, I also worked for 6 years doing test prep for the Princeton Review, and got similar increases. Like it or not, the SAT and ACT are threshold guardians for college admittance, and they rely highly on a bunch of really inauthentic, terrible tricks. I know what they are, and using my decade of teaching experience along with my test prep experience, I can customize a course to create those results consistently. Those results are over 3 years, given an approximate 100 student sample per year. Like any kind of educational "research", the truth is that you can never get a truly representative sample because such a thing does not exist: these are minors, students, children, not loving widgets or statistical results in loving engineering. I know very well that I am able to produce those results with Latin vs. Spanish students (the only two foreign language options in my school) because I am teaching in a college-prep oriented school, and my Princeton Review classes were composed of students motivated in some way to improve.

Your sarcastic bullshit about opening an SAT prep school shows nothing except your lovely attitude and your stupid loving assumptions about the "existing literature". I know very well, having taught in inner-city schools and extremely rural, poor schools as well, that I could not generate those gains with a different population. That's the difference betweeen me and you and the other non-professional educators who claim to know poo poo from shinola: I have actually worked in the field, teaching and researching. You just make lovely assumptions and off-handed accusations about how my results are a lie.

I am not using the SAT as a defense for my program. I am using the SAT as defense for teacher freedom and as a direct attack against a standardized curriculum that CLAIMS to produce the kind of results that I can produce by doing the opposite things that I do. It fails consistently. Only an inspired, committed teacher, aware of his local school, district, and population, with the help of good administration, parents, and school board, can consistently produce the kinds of results I produce. It took me seven years of teaching in D and F schools to land a position where I COULD make that kind of difference. And yes, that few hundred points on the verbal sections of the SAT has likely made many of my students' college aspirations come true. That's my job.

The issue isn't "representative sample." It is endogenous selection. And it is funny that you assume I am a "non-professional educator." But it is pointless to argue. And I wasn't being sarcastic. If you can get miraculous SAT improvements that are generally unheard of, cash in on it. Of course, pardon me if I sincerely doubt your bullshit, given that you keep saying stuff like "I am using the SAT as defense for teacher freedom" with a straight face.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I think students should be required to learn Native American languages. Many are unfortunately endangered or otherwise in sharp decline, it's the least we can do

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

I think students should be required to learn Native American languages. Many are unfortunately endangered or otherwise in sharp decline, it's the least we can do

Solution to America's cyber security: code mission-critical infrastructure in Navajo.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

forbidden lesbian posted:

I'm going to force him to marry Clarence Thomas

In a 7-2 decision, gay marriage was approved :heysexy:

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yes, holding vast numbers of largely poor and minority students back will surely advance American society. Good call.

Instead they just slide right on through regardless of performance which also sort of, no, totally doesn't work.

I'm arguing that a national-level set of standards is an awesome idea. Note how I did not mention measuring those standards nor consequences of those standards. Well except when you asked and I have a half-assed response to it. A problem as complex as the hosed up public education of America doesn't get fixed with a blanket fixer-uper. Common Core's a good step in the right direction since it at least sets some standards. Those can be used to identify problem areas. Have any of you tried fixing something like at all? The very first thing you need to do, after putting on safety equipment, is to figure out what it should be doing. Then you can solve the problem.

poo poo it's kind of like the ACA but we all know how y'all feel about that heap.

edited in the part about fixing poo poo.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The fact that the Democrats and Republicans both agree that "education is broken" should be sending up some serious alarms to anyone who thinks they're already influenced too much by corporations.

The resident Latin teacher is right in that his classes have value as they're teaching the students to apply understanding from one source of knowledge to another, something Latin is in a rather unique position to do in western culture. That doesn't make it a panacea but it has value especially when tailored to the audience.

However our concepts of how education is supposed to be are largely based on no data at all. For all the other good Philanthropy done by them the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation has been pushing education reform based on his politics for going on over a decade now and being one of the worlds richest people does not qualify Bill Gates as an expert, despite how much he may sense there's something amiss, it's not solved by his push for Common Core and Charter Schools.

What exactly are these standards supposed to prepare our students for? College and middle management? We can't even agree that students shouldn't be on this scheduled ready for deployment for The Workforce™ without being in crippling debt because that would mess with the holy market's ability to profit off of human existence.

In conclusion America is a land of contrasts, that it wants to choke on its own spite with.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

RuanGacho posted:

The fact that the Democrats and Republicans both agree that "education is broken" should be sending up some serious alarms to anyone who thinks they're already influenced too much by corporations.

The resident Latin teacher is right in that his classes have value as they're teaching the students to apply understanding from one source of knowledge to another, something Latin is in a rather unique position to do in western culture. That doesn't make it a panacea but it has value especially when tailored to the audience.

However our concepts of how education is supposed to be are largely based on no data at all. For all the other good Philanthropy done by them the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation has been pushing education reform based on his politics for going on over a decade now and being one of the worlds richest people does not qualify Bill Gates as an expert, despite how much he may sense there's something amiss, it's not solved by his push for Common Core and Charter Schools.

What exactly are these standards supposed to prepare our students for? College and middle management? We can't even agree that students shouldn't be on this scheduled ready for deployment for The Workforce™ without being in crippling debt because that would mess with the holy market's ability to profit off of human existence.

In conclusion America is a land of contrasts, that it wants to choke on its own spite with.

Hey at least the majority of us here can agree on one thing: gently caress Charter Schools.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

DemeaninDemon posted:

Hey at least the majority of us here can agree on one thing: gently caress Charter Schools.

All but one of us, at least.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DemeaninDemon posted:

Instead they just slide right on through regardless of performance which also sort of, no, totally doesn't work.

I'm arguing that a national-level set of standards is an awesome idea. Note how I did not mention measuring those standards nor consequences of those standards. Well except when you asked and I have a half-assed response to it. A problem as complex as the hosed up public education of America doesn't get fixed with a blanket fixer-uper. Common Core's a good step in the right direction since it at least sets some standards. Those can be used to identify problem areas. Have any of you tried fixing something like at all? The very first thing you need to do, after putting on safety equipment, is to figure out what it should be doing. Then you can solve the problem.

poo poo it's kind of like the ACA but we all know how y'all feel about that heap.

edited in the part about fixing poo poo.

The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation's enthusiasm for Common Core should set off alarm bells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation's enthusiasm for Common Core should set off alarm bells.

Why should that alone set off alarm bells?

• Locked thread