Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Barnsy posted:

Surely having all that weight land on the engines is just going to smash them up?

Surely they will have to develop some sort of legs, what to land on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXdjxPY2j_0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Barnsy posted:

Surely having all that weight land on the engines is just going to smash them up?

It has landing legs.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fucknag posted:

It has landing legs.

http://www.space.com/25597-spacex-reusable-rocket-falcon9r-video.html

Its too cool for words.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Uh, how much fuel is wasted on doing that?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

Fuel is .03% of the cost of a rocket.

If they can get the engines back for the cost of a few thousand gallons of RP-1, it is a deal, it's a steal, it's the sale of the fuckin' century.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

But if you use so much fuel doing that that you can't provide enough thrust to the upper stages to get it anywhere then whats the point?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

It's cheaper than another rocket.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

hobbesmaster posted:

But if you use so much fuel doing that that you can't provide enough thrust to the upper stages to get it anywhere then whats the point?

It's entirely possible that they've designed the system such that it can put payload into orbit.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

Turns out, they thought of that, and they can do the mission, like they just did, and still fly the rocket back, like they just came scary-close to doing. Now, it is still an unknown as to how refurbishable the engines will turn out to be. But they already test-fire and re-light the engines successfully, so I suspect it is going to be a whole lot more reusable than our last reusable rocket ship.

Depends on the mission. If you need the extra thrust, you pay for a throwaway, or you buy a bigger rocket. If you don't (and many, many missions don't) then theoretically, and amazingly close to in practice, you can lose a bit of maximum performance, and get a second, third, or 40th use out of the expensive parts.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 16, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

It put a payload in orbit during this test, this was the end result of the ISS resupply mission.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Phanatic posted:

It's entirely possible that they've designed the system such that it can put payload into orbit.

No poo poo, however the question is what payload into what orbit. This is obviously be less capable per mass than an expendable first stage and need much more engine power to do the same thing.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

hobbesmaster posted:

The rocket is specifically designed to deliver its rated payload while leaving enough fuel for the flyback maneuver. Customers who have a heavier payload can opt to dip into that reserve to get it to orbit, at higher cost (since the rocket will fall into the ocean instead of being reused.)

Getting 10 flights out of a rocket instead of one will reduce the per-launch costs significantly. Currently, the Atlas 5 costs about $13,000 per pound of payload to low Earth orbit. Falcon 9 already has that beat at ~4,000 per pound, but with full reusability SpaceX has stated they're aiming to get under $1,000, and possibly as low as $500.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Fucknag posted:

The rocket is specifically designed to deliver its rated payload while leaving enough fuel for the flyback maneuver. Customers who have a heavier payload can opt to dip into that reserve to get it to orbit, at higher cost (since the rocket will fall into the ocean instead of being reused.)

Getting 10 flights out of a rocket instead of one will reduce the per-launch costs significantly. Currently, the Atlas 5 costs about $13,000 per pound of payload to low Earth orbit. Falcon 9 already has that beat at ~4,000 per pound, but with full reusability SpaceX has stated they're aiming to get under $1,000, and possibly as low as $500.

Aren't there a lot of launches that are lots of little satellites/experiments/etc that get loaded onto one rocket and all shot up at the same time? I suppose that wouldn't work for something that absolutely had to be in a specific orbit, but if you just need X hours of weightlessness do do a test, it seems like you could share some space with other tests that need to do the same thing.

The point of all that being, you could put slightly fewer of the same tests on one rocket, launch it, recover the engines, and launch a second flight at a savings.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Holy poo poo that is amazing

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

bitcoin bastard posted:

Aren't there a lot of launches that are lots of little satellites/experiments/etc that get loaded onto one rocket and all shot up at the same time? I suppose that wouldn't work for something that absolutely had to be in a specific orbit, but if you just need X hours of weightlessness do do a test, it seems like you could share some space with other tests that need to do the same thing.

The point of all that being, you could put slightly fewer of the same tests on one rocket, launch it, recover the engines, and launch a second flight at a savings.

A lot of the time there's a main payload, like a big communications sat, and then some of the extra unused payload mass is used for cubesat storage and deployment. The cubesats get spit out once the rocket is in orbit but before the main payload gets sent to a geosynchronous orbit or whatever, so the space around it doesn't get all clogged up with tiny expendable satellites.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

bitcoin bastard posted:

A Falcon 9 can huck a Dragon capsule, which is not small, up to the ISS, and then get pretty close to sticking the landing on a 300' barge in the Atlantic 8 minutes later. So "is it enough" is an answered question.

If you need more than that, feel free buy two launches, or pay XXX% more for a disposable. As I understand it, the 3 core Falcon Heavy is projected to be able to get two cores back, but the payload penalty for getting the 3rd one, which is hauling some considerable rear end and way high by the time it is done, is such that they probably won't do it much.

Related, SpaceX is looking to vertically integrate the satellite business in a big way. This is all 10-15 years out, but they want to put up a 4000+ satellite constellation, and with that kind of scale, they are going to be doing assembly line manufacturing, not coachbuilding like the existing satellite market.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 17, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Slo-Tek posted:

If you need more than that, feel free buy two launches, or pay XXX% more for a disposable. As I understand it, the 3 core Falcon Heavy is projected to be able to get two cores back, but the payload penalty for getting the 3rd one, which is hauling some considerable rear end and way high by the time it is done, is such that they probably won't do it much.

Although, there's been rumors that they may land the center core on a barge and haul it back that way. Uses a lot less fuel than a full flyback.

Even if they don't, it still saves 2/3 the build cost of the total 1st stage so it's worth it.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

No poo poo, however the question is what payload into what orbit. This is obviously be less capable per mass than an expendable first stage and need much more engine power to do the same thing.
The Falcon 9 carries extra fuel to allow it to successfully complete the mission even if an engine fails, by burning the remaining engines longer to compensate. Since the Falcon 9 has nine engines, losing one isn't automatically fatal, in fact it can survive the loss of up to two engines (though probably not if both are lost at liftoff). A bit of extra fuel needs to be carrier to allow the remaining engines to burn longer to compensate for the lower thrust (which gives gravity more time to drag you back down). If no engines fail this reserve is available to use to fly back and land. If an engine fails the reserve is burned and the rocket crashes downrange. On missions where every bit of performance is needed they can plan to commit this reserve and not attach the landing hardware. Having nine engines also means they can just run one of them and don't need to install additional lower-thrust landing engines, as would be needed on the upper stage.

Overall, this means you can do the return at a minimal additional weight cost, and since the Falcon 9 is already one of the lightest rockets (in terms of the percentage of its loaded mass that is structure and engine versus fuel) they can spare the weight for the legs and grid fins.

Now with more pics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsK97xVCLrw

And this is why engine-out capability is good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEERZ0-0yG4

Alereon fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 17, 2015

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I'm just going to leave this here, 7 plane formation landing.

https://vimeo.com/71747995

EDIT: now with 100% more embedding

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 17, 2015

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Kilonum posted:

I'm just going to leave this here, 7 plane formation landing.

https://vimeo.com/71747995

EDIT: now with 100% more embedding

That is a sufficiently tight formation.

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?

vessbot posted:

You mean in operational training usage or as a museum piece?

As in "operational"... Full motion, tracking course on map with pantograph, everything...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fucknag posted:

If they’re going to write‐off the first stage, maybe they can use one that’s already flown several times and is nearing end‐of‐life anyway, reliability demands permitting.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

drunkill posted:

Nazi Concorde, from New York to San Francisco in two hours.

From the pilot episode of amazons Man in the High Castle adaptation, pro watch:
http://www.amazon.com/pilotseason

Heads up: it's a Phillip K. Dick novel and it gets meta as gently caress, moreso than many of his other works. It's good, but mere alt-history it ain't.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

MrChips posted:

Diamond is pretty much dead as a company these days. After the disaster of the DJet program bankrupting the company (and a failed sale to a Middle East wealth fund) they've said that they will attempt to fulfill their order backlog and that's it, and there is quite a bit of doubt that they will even be able to do that.

I figured they'd be in dire straits after Thielert went belly up. My alma mater had signed papers to buy a dozen DA-42s and lease another dozen or so (or something like that) to replace our aging fleet of Seminoles. Seemed like a good bird, the only gripe the pilot students had was they couldn't paint invasion stripes on them because the difference in temperature across them would cause the wings to crack. I think one, maybe two birds got delivered when Thielert poo poo the bed, and rumor was the admin was scrambling to fill the gap with whatever newer Seminoles they could get their hands on.

I know that was still an issue when I graduated, but looks like it got cleared up, according to the website my school has the DA42s with the Lycomings instead of the fancy diesel engines they were hoping for originally.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

And they make aero diesels through a subsidiary now. Too bad about their lovely financials, the 42 looks cool as gently caress.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

evil_bunnY posted:

And they make aero diesels through a subsidiary now. Too bad about their lovely financials, the 42 looks cool as gently caress.

Yeah, I read that; but considering what happened when Thielert filed for insolvency (Diamond revoking warranty for all equipped aircraft), I'd probably stick with the Lycoming engines as I don't think they're going anywhere quite yet.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Barnsy posted:

Holy poo poo that is amazing

Here's the slightly less amazing result from last test:

Midjack posted:

Heads up: it's a Phillip K. Dick novel and it gets meta as gently caress, moreso than many of his other works. It's good, but mere alt-history it ain't.

Exactly :awesome:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

mobby_6kl posted:

Here's the slightly less amazing result from last test:

Exactly :awesome:

No need to gif those still images, the video was released:

https://vine.co/v/OjqeYWWpVWK

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Midjack posted:

My favorite is that (IIRC, its been a few years,) several characters within the novel are reading a popular alt-history novel, about the allies winning WWII. Its meta as gently caress.
But yes, go into it expecting a Phillip Dick story that just happens to use alt-history as a setting, and not Harry Turtledove, and you (probably) won't be disappointed.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

MrYenko posted:

My favorite is that (IIRC, its been a few years,) several characters within the novel are reading a popular alt-history novel, about the allies winning WWII. Its meta as gently caress.
But yes, go into it expecting a Phillip Dick story that just happens to use alt-history as a setting, and not Harry Turtledove, and you (probably) won't be disappointed.

Trutthfully I put down Man in the High Castle about 100 pages in. It was taking it's sweet time to get to anything interesting.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

holocaust bloopers posted:

Trutthfully I put down Man in the High Castle about 100 pages in. It was taking it's sweet time to get to anything interesting.

I guess you just have to like Dick.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

MrYenko posted:

I guess you just have to like Dick.

who among us doesn't?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Barnsy posted:

Is there a reason they don't just parachute it into the water and then pick it up? Seems less demanding than getting it to land on a tiny platform using rockets. If they rinse it off quickly corrosion shouldn't be a problem.

Something that wasn't answered yet (or at least I didn't see it): parachutes are loving heavy. And complicated. And you have way, way less landing accuracy. So they're just not that good compared to a powered landing as it turns out.

Also lol at the 'rinse it off quickly'.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Looks like the big anit-UAV push that the FAA and pilots' union are undertaking has very little to do with safety. They are worried about losing money. They should have thought about adapting UAVs into their business model 10 years ago instead of lobbying the government to shut down entrepreneurs and tech that's here to stay.

http://www.suasnews.com/2015/01/33886/man-vs-drone-some-pilots-fight-back-against-robots/

quote:

In an unfolding battle over U.S. skies, it’s man versus drone.

Aerial surveyors, photographers and moviemaking pilots are increasingly losing business to robots that often can do their jobs faster, cheaper and better.

That competition, paired with concerns about midair collisions with drones, has made commercial pilots some of the fiercest opponents to unmanned aircraft. And now these aviators are fighting back, lobbying regulators for strict rules for the devices and reporting unauthorized drone users to authorities.

Jim Williams, head of the Federal Aviation Administration’s unmanned-aircraft office, said that many FAA investigations into commercial-drone flights begin with tips from manned-aircraft pilots who compete with those drones. “They’ll let us know that, ’Hey, I’m losing all my business to these guys. They’re not approved. Go investigate,’” Mr. Williams said at a drone conference last year. “We will investigate those.”

Unlike the vast majority of commercial pilots in the U.S.—those that helm passenger jets tens of thousands of feet above the ground—the primary drone opponents operate helicopters and small planes generally between 500 feet to 2,000 feet, making maps, inspecting pipelines and spraying crops. Drones are supposed to stay below 400 feet, but the FAA has received dozens of reports of the devices flying too close to manned aircraft—typically smaller planes and helicopters.

“I’m now looking for lawn mowers flying around,” said Mike Peavey, a former Vietnam War pilot who flies helicopters around New England to monitor power lines and shoot movies. “A 40-pound object impacting certain parts of a helicopter would be disastrous.”

Mr. Peavey said he initially refused to film a sailboat competition in Newport, R.I., in June because drones would also be buzzing above the water. He lobbied Rhode Island’s aeronautics inspector to reconsider its authorization for drones at the event.

A week before the event, the inspector said operating a drone near an open-air event would be a misdemeanor under Rhode Island law. Mr. Peavey filmed the sailboats but drones did not.

The FAA has effectively banned the commercial use of drones until it completes rules for the devices in the next few years. Meanwhile, the agency has approved limitedcommercial-drone flights for 15 operators.

In many of those exemptions, the Air Line Pilots Association, the biggest U.S. pilots union, and the National Agricultural Aviation Association, a trade group for crop dusters, helped persuade the FAA to place tight restrictions on the drone flights, including requiring operators to have pilot licenses and to keep the devices within eyeshot.

For several exemptions, the FAA agreed with the crop-duster group’s recommendations to require operators to file notices with local aviation authorities two days before flying and to display identification numbers on their drones. The group urged the FAA to also require bright paint, strobe lights and transponders that broadcast the drones’ location to other aircraft, but the agency declined.

Last year, after a judge struck down the FAA’s first-ever fine against a man for operating a drone recklessly, the crop-duster group filed the only outside legal brief in support of the fine. If the FAA can’t punish unsafe drone users, “then the safety of flight of agricultural air operation (and all manned aircraft operations for that matter) is in jeopardy,” wrote the group, which urges its members to report drone sightings to the FAA.

Pilot Chuck Boyle, president of the Professional Aerial Photographers Association International, said drones have been a hot topic at group meetings for years. “We have lots of members who are very frustrated,” he said. “I hear stories of them losing business to a construction company who’s decided to do it themselves [with a drone], or a drone operator who just took another job from them.”

Mr. Boyle has started reporting drone users who flout the FAA ban. “I am very concerned that the cavalier attitude that he displays and his very open commercial ’drone’ offering will get someone hurt,” he wrote to an FAA inspector last year, reporting an Orlando, Fla., businessman whose company shoots TV commercials with drones.

The inspector told the company, CineDrones, that if it was using drones commercially, “I must insist you stop operations immediately.”

CineDrones President Mike Fortin said he ignored the warning and is still operating without issue.

Many pilots, however, aren’t as critical of drones, and some are even adopting them.

Former U.S. Air Force pilot Robert Hicks, who runs an aerial-photography company using manned aircraft, said he recently started his own drone company after realizing his industry was shifting. He has targeted Latin America for customers because of the strict regulations in the U.S.

Julie Belanger, who runs an aerial-mapping company with her husband in San Martin, Calif., said they want to use drones but are waiting for FAA rules. Meanwhile, they’re competing against entrepreneurs who are using the devices against FAA policy. The system is encouraging unsafe users, she said. “In the right hands drones produce beautiful stuff and are safe,” she said. “In the wrong hands, they’re a danger to aviation.”

Bill Richards, a pilot who shoots films with his helicopter in New York City, said that while “everybody in my business is pooh-poohing them,” he decided to build his own drone for $15,000. “They can do something I can’t: get within a few feet of you without blowing everybody off the set,” he said.

Still, he said, manned choppers will maintain a role. “The speed and power of a real helicopter is not going to be challenged.”

Indeed, some pilots say drones don’t threaten them because their manned aircraft can carry heavier payloads and fly much longer and farther.

Japanese farmers have been using Yamaha Corp. helicopter drones since 1990 to spray crops; those devices carry 4.2 gallons of pesticide, fly 12 miles an hour and cost about $150,000. That is not commercially viable in the U.S., said Andrew Moore, executive director of the agricultural aviation association. His members’ planes sometimes cost a fraction of the Yamaha drone, carry 500 gallons of pesticide and fly 160 miles an hour.

“I think that drone works fine in Japan where they have postage-stamp-sized fields,” he said. “But when you’re looking at agriculture on the U.S. scale, it doesn’t translate.”

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vitamin J posted:

Looks like the big anit-UAV push that the FAA and pilots' union are undertaking has very little to do with safety. They are worried about losing money. They should have thought about adapting UAVs into their business model 10 years ago instead of lobbying the government to shut down entrepreneurs and tech that's here to stay.

http://www.suasnews.com/2015/01/33886/man-vs-drone-some-pilots-fight-back-against-robots/

They couldn't have adopted UAVs into their business model 10 years ago because as actual licensed pilots and companies they'd have to follow FAA regulations and drones can't do the entire "see and avoid" thing now let alone 10 years ago. If the FAA comes down hard on someone without a pilot's license oh well, but these real survey companies would go out of business if they did the same thing.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Vitamin J posted:

Of course they are, but there needs to be some kind of legislative framework that still has to be hashed out. Simple stuff, like anti collision lights at a minimum, wouldn't cost anything to implement. A way of identifying the equipment owner would be handy too, for when some idiot drone operator thinks it would be funny to buzz a flight deck on approach (seriously, people still fire lasers at approaching flight deck windows practically daily). That one is a lot more difficult without a transponder, but a drone-spec one could probably be developed for not much more than a few hundred dollars.
A drone pilot license category isn't a bad idea either. Just a written test would do, it would act as a barrier to at least total fuckwits operating the things.
Also it's the FAA, a massive and conservative government agency. If they've moved an inch toward progress in the next 10 years, count that as a victory.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

You see, my issue with the drone business is that it seems the overwhelming opinion coming from them is "we don't want BIG GUBBMINT interfering in our precious business with all their rules, stifling our creativity abloobloobloo :qq:"

Everyone in aviation already works within largely the same framework...why should anyone else get an exception?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MrChips posted:

You see, my issue with the drone business is that it seems the overwhelming opinion coming from them is "we don't want BIG GUBBMINT interfering in our precious business with all their rules, stifling our creativity abloobloobloo :qq:"

Everyone in aviation already works within largely the same framework...why should anyone else get an exception?

They're DISRUPTING THE MARKET therefore the rules do not apply, no you shut the gently caress up dad.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

MrChips posted:

The field itself (although granted better in the States than elsewhere) does tend to stifle development and even participation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MrChips posted:

My impression in that a better functioning world, we would have already sorted this poo poo out, creating regulatory steps for drones that vary from "none" (for those RC helicopters the source sells) to "treat it like a manned aircraft" (a drone with the same capabilities as a manned aircraft, and therefore needs a licensed pilot operating it.) You could have steps between those two based on airframe capability - or maybe weight - and how much poo poo you'd actually need to know to be a responsible operator. For these steps you could also write commonsense rules like "don't operate near airports, fuckwit" and "keep it below 500 ft if you are beneath a class C drone."

This of course would require people to a) be adults and b) not be trying to game regulations for advantage to your particular industry. Also I guess c) government competence

Still, DISRUPTION. Turns out my hydrogen drone airships don't need no gubbermint regulation :shepface: