Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Those places have a more . . . unified culture. America is a very large, diverse country so plans like that won't work here. Some people are just lazy good-for-nothings, and the state needs to recognize that and incentivize them as opposed to coddling them with free hand outs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

FuzzySkinner posted:

My dad put it on Fox News, and my head is currently hurting.

"YOU KNOW WHO'S GOING TO BE STUCK PAYING THE BILLS FOR IT? THE AMERICAN TAX PAYER!".

"SORRY NOTHING IS FOR FREE"

"IF WE GIVE PEOPLE FREE COLLEGE EDUCATION, THEY WON'T WORK AS HARD FOR IT"

I hope whoever would say something like this had or would force their children to pay for their college education themselves and not help at all.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Here's the typical Fox News argument against it and some of the talking points I heard.

quote:

As the president noted in his speech, his proposal -- “America’s College Promise” -- is based on Gov. Bill Haslam's Tennessee Promise program, which offers free tuition to students attending two years of community or technical college. While the president’s plan will certainly make community college accessible to many more students, it is also far from clear that such students will benefit.

Bill Haslam IS A REPUBLICAN by the way.

quote:

Consider that, at present, graduation rates for students at community colleges are dismal: around 25 percent for students who do not transfer, the lowest 6-year completion rate in U.S. higher-education. (For the roughly one-fifth of community college enrollees who do eventually transfer to a four year college, the graduation rate, at 62 percent, is far better.)[quote]

[quote]Despite the president’s best intentions -- absent serious reform -- pressuring community colleges to improve outcomes, graduation rates have no reason to rise. And by directing more students to community colleges without demanding higher standards—students will become eligible for two free years of tuition if they maintain merely a 2.5 GPA, hardly stellar in this age of rampant grade inflation—the president's plan might, perversely, worsen graduation rates.

A better idea: rather than force schools to follow top-down commands, reward successful schools instead by making eligibility for federal funding contingent on satisfactory completion and employment outcomes. (Alternatively, steer students receiving funding to two-year technical schools, which boast better graduation rates than general-education community colleges.)

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/01/09/obama-free-community-college-plan-why-it-could-hurt-more-than-help/

This all sounds eerily like "No Child Left Behind" btw.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 17, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It's kind of fun to see Arizona politicians complaining about the free community college thing when it's specifically mentioned in our constitution:

Section 6. The university and all other state educational institutions shall be open to students of both sexes, and the instruction furnished shall be as nearly free as possible. The legislature shall provide for a system of common schools by which a free school shall be established and maintained in every school district for at least six months in each year, which school shall be open to all pupils between the ages of six and twenty-one years.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's kind of fun to see Arizona politicians complaining about the free community college thing when it's specifically mentioned in our constitution:

Section 6. The university and all other state educational institutions shall be open to students of both sexes, and the instruction furnished shall be as nearly free as possible. The legislature shall provide for a system of common schools by which a free school shall be established and maintained in every school district for at least six months in each year, which school shall be open to all pupils between the ages of six and twenty-one years.
There are lawsuits about the "as nearly free as possible" clause once in a while. I don't think they go anywhere, sadly.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The community college graduation rate is really low, therefore we shouldn't do anything to help community college students. However, reform is needed; I propose vague goals with no clear plan as to how to achieve them. But it definitely shouldn't cost any money.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

You would think that if there's one demographic that makes no sense to attack for being "lazy" it would be college students. What do these morons think people go to college for in the first place?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Hipsters: Scourge of Republicans

quote:

The Trouble With Hipsters by Steven Crowder

Hipsters. We all know one. They’re those fun, little, arrogant people who let the ideal of “anti-consumerism,” combined with a hatred for all things normal, dictate their every action. Whether it’s spending more time and money at thrift shops for threads (anti-consumerist threads, mind you), or combing the record store for the most unknown/least coherent band they can find, there’s one thing that hipsters constantly want you to know: that they are better than you. That, and also, those frames that you’re wearing are so mainstream.

Of course, it goes without saying that a leftist world view is a staple in the hipster’s theological wardrobe. For years, young adults have adopted extremely liberal world views in their attempts to be different, ultimately failing to see the irony that they’ve all become the same.

As one of the younger whippersnappers myself, I can tell you that today, oftentimes this is bred through years of college and faux-alternative entertainment. The message bombarding young adults from the leftist cultural elite is clear; you should think for yourself… by adopting my beliefs as your own.

If not for this subliminal indoctrination, people like Noam Chomsky would have few readers, and terrorists would have no young American sympathizers to call their own. You see the hipster, often blessed with the luxury of never having had to earn a living in the real world (no, college is not the real world) is permanently perched in the peanut gallery, free to criticize other more productive Americans.

“I’ll never be a corporate suit or sell-out!”…“America is an Evil Empire that rapes the earth of its resources, and robs from impoverished countries!”…“Islamic terrorists wouldn’t want to kill us if we just left them alone and stopped being so arrogant….We don’t own the world!”

These are all common beliefs of hipsters that can be overheard on a Sunday stroll through NYC’s East Village. — Just be sure to avoid the tainted syringes. — If you were to ask the modern hipster, he… I mean she… Sorry, IT is likely under the impression that Usama Bin Laden is wearing skinny jeans in his cave, currently listening to Animal Collective as he throws back cans of Pabst Blue Ribbon. Certainly Al Qaeda shares a common bond with the trust-fund jackass, bobbing his head at the Vampire Weekend concert.

Listen, if it were just the about obnoxious music, silly clothes and filthy subculture that is modern hipsterism, one could simply laugh it off as another generation of stupid kids. The problem, however, is indicative of a mindset that has plagued young people for quite some time.

All kids want to feel like they’re a part of something. Modern, crooked leftists are willing to provide them with that, all the while cloaking it in a cleverly marketed veil of “anti-consumerism.”

It seems to me that at one point in our country’s history, young people adopted fashion styles that would come back to haunt them decades later.

Today, young people are increasingly adopting fashionable philosophies that could hurt the world for decades to come.

Also, they should shower more.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I'm constantly amazed that a self-proclaimed comedian can't ever seem to make a funny joke when picking on the easiest targets on the planet.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Steven Crowder is the last person who should be talking about Hipsters and 'trust-fund jackasses'.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

"Trust fund jackass"? Crowder doesn't like the idea of people getting supported by rich mommies and daddies? Does that mean he supports the estate tax?

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Mr Interweb posted:

You would think that if there's one demographic that makes no sense to attack for being "lazy" it would be college students. What do these morons think people go to college for in the first place?

To PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Crowder is almost a decade behind the trend, not that it's surprising.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

quote:

Whether it’s spending more time and money at thrift shops for threads (anti-consumerist threads, mind you), or combing the record store for the most unknown/least coherent band they can find, there’s one thing that hipsters constantly want you to know: that they are better than you.

I'm probably not better than most people, and in fact could definitely stand to do more to make my corner of the world a better place, but I am absolutely confident that I am better than Steven Crowder.

For one thing, I have occasionally made people laugh. On purpose, even.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ah yes the well known Hipster stereotype, loving Bin Laden.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Most hipsters are crypto-conservatives.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mr Interweb posted:

sexual orgies so vile that I cannot describe them to you

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Most hipsters are crypto-conservatives.

This has been my experience. If you get past the political apathy of most people that would get called "hipsters" it's a whole lot of FYGM.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Hipsters buy a lot of stuff, cool gadgets and skinny jeans are expensive. The lure of the thrift store is the old flannel, not the anti-consumerist mentality. He seems to be describing a young poor person until he brings up trust funds.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Crowder is just making poo poo up, as usual. Either that or he's describing the last dude that "stole" his girlfriend.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Also how come a more extensive model WORKS in countries like Germany, and other developed countries?

Pfft, if it worked so well why'd we kick their rear end in WWII?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Loving the new Air Force recruitment commercial showing ultra expensive taxpayer-funded jets doing totally rad flips and poo poo interspersed with clips of recent presidents praising USAF members. You know, except for that one. Gotta keep up that "Obama hates the military" narrative.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Using the current president in those has never been cool. So you might be reading a bit too much into it.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Hazo posted:

Loving the new Air Force recruitment commercial showing ultra expensive taxpayer-funded jets doing totally rad flips and poo poo interspersed with clips of recent presidents praising USAF members. You know, except for that one. Gotta keep up that "Obama hates the military" narrative.

one day there will be a supercarrier or a railgun cruiser called the U.S.S. Barack Hussein Obama and there is nothing conservatives will be able to do about it.

I wonder how much turmoil there was when the Cesar Chavez was commissioned

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
It's a cargo ship so nobody gave a gently caress.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Vahakyla posted:

Using the current president in those has never been cool. So you might be reading a bit too much into it.
I didn't think of this, you're probably right. They did use Kennedy and Clinton at least (no Carter though).

PupsOfWar posted:

one day there will be a supercarrier or a railgun cruiser called the U.S.S. Barack Hussein Obama and there is nothing conservatives will be able to do about it.
I'm pretty sure there was already a hilarious freakout by gamer nerds/military fetishists when one of the new CoD games had it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Obama will be on money, his face is iconic.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

Hazo posted:

I didn't think of this, you're probably right. They did use Kennedy and Clinton at least (no Carter though).

Jimmy Carter belongs to the Navy.

CarterUSM fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 18, 2015

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Look at these "hipsters" saving money at thrift shops and living within their means.

edit:

Huh. This is a first:

quote:

Fox News apologizes 4 times for inaccurate comments about Muslims in Europe

Fox News took time out of four broadcasts on Saturday to apologize for four separate instances of incorrect information that portrayed Muslims in a negative light.

Several of the cases involved incendiary comments about "no-go zones" in Europe, where Islamic law supposedly supersedes local law and where non-Muslims fear to go.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/18/media/fox-apologizes-for-anti-islam-comments/index.html

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 18, 2015

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BiggerBoat posted:

Look at these "hipsters" saving money at thrift shops and living within their means.

edit:

Huh. This is a first:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/18/media/fox-apologizes-for-anti-islam-comments/index.html

I guess European media actually called them out on their poo poo?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

BiggerBoat posted:

edit:

Huh. This is a first:

You're missing the best part of the apology.

[quote]Earlier on Saturday, on the morning show "Fox & Friends," co-host Anna Kooiman referred to the previous week's program, when "we showed a map of neighborhoods in France labeled as no-go zones."

"Some of the neighborhoods were highlighted incorrectly," she said. "We apologize for the error."[.quote]

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

PupsOfWar posted:

I wonder how much turmoil there was when the Cesar Chavez was commissioned
I really hope he gets some ridiculously over powered experimental weapon named after him or something. The sort of thing military nuts would've been creaming their pants over otherwise.

USS island-sized dreadnought Barack H. Obama

War of the worlds style deathray tripod Barack H. Obama

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I really hope he gets some ridiculously over powered experimental weapon named after him or something. The sort of thing military nuts would've been creaming their pants over otherwise.

USS island-sized dreadnought Barack H. Obama

War of the worlds style deathray tripod Barack H. Obama

I hope he gets something that sounds really cool in theory but is ultimately ineffective because at least it would be in character.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Why the gently caress is this on CNN Money?

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

You're missing the best part of the apology.

[quote]Earlier on Saturday, on the morning show "Fox & Friends," co-host Anna Kooiman referred to the previous week's program, when "we showed a map of neighborhoods in France labeled as no-go zones."

"Some of the neighborhoods were highlighted incorrectly," she said. "We apologize for the error."[.quote]

You mean the lovely weasel word non apology?

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Good Citizen posted:

I hope he gets something that sounds really cool in theory but is ultimately ineffective because at least it would be in character.
Orbital laser superweapon that we never actually get to fire in a combat scenario?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

pacerhimself posted:

You mean the lovely weasel word non apology?
Yeah, it's so transparent and their audience can keep freaking out over nothing.

Which, I suppose, is the natural state of Fox News' audience.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Orbital laser superweapon that we never actually get to fire in a combat scenario?

That would be fitting because Barack sounds like the Hebrew word for lightning.

(and before you ask, no, bless or blessed or something would sound more like baruch)

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Good Citizen posted:

So his own aircraft carrier class?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Rexicon1 posted:

Why the gently caress is this on CNN Money?

That's probably Brian Stelter's default section.

What I really wanna know is why are we forced into seeing new comments automatically while reading the article