Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
"Tzipi, Tzipi! :ohdear:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Thanks for the replies, Xander and Miftan.

Miftan posted:

Both equipmant and care were terrible in my unit. The elite units get treated like they're at a 5 star hotel. Spas on base, the works. If there's anything specific you want to know feel free to ask, because 3 years worth of grudges is a lot to go through.

Basically Israel as a conscription state is fairly interesting because it is both extremely well funded externally and its military is pretty constantly active in one way or another. Also universal conscription so double as many candidates. Speaking of which is the IDF truly gender-neutral? I'd assume not.
I'd basically have thought they'd have treated even the least important units fairly well, since everybody has to serve and its an opportunity for the State to "sell" itself to you.
Does it instead just become its own social heirarchy? "Oh you didn't even become an officer, you must be a lazy pleb," kinda thing. Which would be quite Starship Troopers-y.

I'm pretty clueless about military matters but I find the comparison interesting from my cousin's experience because Greece has conscription and is also next to a large historical enemy but apart from that is basically the opposite: tiny military funding, basically militarily inert.
I know he still was encouraged to chant "Kill the Turks!" (and refused because he is more balla than I) and there was some attempted indoctrination that was largely not taken seriously due to said tiny funding and intertness.
What kind of attempts do the IDF make to "convert" you while they have a captive audience?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

nopantsjack posted:

Speaking of which is the IDF truly gender-neutral? I'd assume not.
You'd be correct. It takes a lot more effort for a female to become an officer, serve in a combat unit, become a pilot etc. There's also the obvious sexual harassment issue in a machoist culture.

Most women are employed in... "administration" or clerical positions. There's the notion that "hidden unemployment" within the IDF mostly consists of these clerks wasting time while pretending to work.

Edit - Oh yeah, every time this debate is brought up, the participants are apparently obliged by law to inform each other that in standard military parlance / radio jargon, male soldiers are referred to as "matches" (the kind that makes fire) while female soldiers are referred to as "skirts". The term "platoon mattress" is not a part of the official parlance, but a fairly popular way to slut-shame.

Another saying lists three things an IDF soldier has to do during his service to be considered a "real" soldier:

1. Spend time in a military jail.
2. Kill an Arab (Kill a Terrorist, if the saying is related by a particularly enlightened soldier)
3. Have sex with a superior officer (hiiiiiiilarious "no homo" statement goes here*)

* I'll be honest - the IDF is way more comfortable with "no homo" style homo-social pseudo-sexual interplay than any other army I know of. So many jokes or "jokes" that would have gotten people killed in the Red army...

quote:

I'd basically have thought they'd have treated even the least important units fairly well, since everybody has to serve and its an opportunity for the State to "sell" itself to you.
Does it instead just become its own social heirarchy? "Oh you didn't even become an officer, you must be a lazy pleb," kinda thing. Which would be quite Starship Troopers-y.
It's rather literally Straship Troopers-y insofar as your political prospects are largely (not entirely, but still) determined by your service. Storming planes or killing terrorists while in drag does wonders for your chances at getting the PM seat.

In everyday news, assuming a leftist position in a debate is going to give you a "your probably didn't even serve in a combat unit - that is, if you served at all!" well into your 30's.

There's a belief - I don't know how justified it is - that elite units tend to look after their fellow alumni after demobilization much more than regular non-combat units. They sorta function like Ivy league schools / fraternities. However, there's really only one sort of "elite" unit belonging to which will impress people regardless of your personal accomplishments - pilots. The best of the among the brave defenders of Israel have a heroic aura that's practically unmatched.

quote:

I know he still was encouraged to chant "Kill the Turks!" (and refused because he is more balla than I) and there was some attempted indoctrination that was largely not taken seriously due to said tiny funding and intertness.
Huh. My cultural superiority issues (Russian, in this case) are flaring right up :)

As recently as 2010, I know for a fact that going into the recruitment office and going "please enlist me, I really want to kill some Arabs" was considered to be an excellent way to avoid mobilization.

Edit - Oh hey, this thing is still around. A comprehensive guide for people who don't care to serve in the IDF (in Russian, naturally). I used to print out sections for appropriate occasions and share them with colleagues...

quote:

What kind of attempts do the IDF make to "convert" you while they have a captive audience?
There's so much here.

I served in the IDF airforce museum at Hatzerim. I think every airforce soldier is given the tour as some point, told about their legacy those times we fought in actual wars that threatened the state of Israel. I... kinda almost negelected to bring this up, since being so immersed in interviewing veterans, compiling and archiving information, you stop thinking about it as propaganda, or even history - it's just a job.

It certainly worked. The museum had a lot volunteers serving in it - just the place for intelligent people who wouldn't fit into a more strict IDF structure. A photographer spent two years doing good and easy work, when he decided to demand a reclassification of his psych profile (which you can do fairly easily after a period of service with no fuckups) and go into a pilot training course (see above re: pilots). He ended up flunking out (it's a very tough course), and was forced to spend the rest of his service as a regular soldier, with all the unpleasantness involved therein. I actually did my first Avtash with him. That story has a happy ending - despite the officer in charge promising me he's going to draw up a list of complaints that will send me to military jail for a month, it apparently got lost in the mail and I was home free (until the next time). Oh, and the photographer ended up demobilizing and marrying one of the museum guides / models. (Yes, that's absolutely a thing - most of the guides at the airforce museum are chosen for their looks and generally have a modelling career before / after / during their military service).

The one serious attempt to "convert" people I actually remember offhand was... vegetarianism. (Soldiers are a captive audience, so depending on the political leaning of their officers, they can be lectured on any numbers of subjects from any numbers of insane and unpleasant people). We had to sit through a whole film trying to make the point that animals slaughtered for meat generally don't enjoy the process. That's how I met one of my best friends in the army - we both objected to the film as irrelevant and brainwashy.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 17, 2015

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4615588,00.html

quote:

Swedish foreign minister not welcome in Israel, offical says
'The Swedish foreign minister would not have been given any official meetings in Israel if she had traveled here. What Sweden did was an utterly unfriendly action,' Foreign Ministry spokesperson says.

Some mature rear end adults right there.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

If I'm reading right, she was still going to make her trip to attend a ceremony for a Swedish Holocaust hero, but she had to cancel when she was not allowed a security detail.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Well, the US kind of tried the same thing.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
They were basically negging her every request and trying to make the visit as inconvenient as possible until she went "gently caress this noise". Liberman always finds petulant ways to be offensive to foreign dignitaries who aren't supporters of the Greater Israel enterprise, some might remember this:

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

That is some impressively passive aggressive poo poo right there.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

InequalityGodzilla posted:

This type of passive aggressive poo poo is super commonplace in foreign affairs.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

They have hurt the feelings of the Israeli people.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

emanresu tnuocca posted:

They were basically negging her every request and trying to make the visit as inconvenient as possible until she went "gently caress this noise". Liberman always finds petulant ways to be offensive to foreign dignitaries who aren't supporters of the Greater Israel enterprise, some might remember this:

I want to make it clear to any reader who might have the impression that surely, such a moron could not have had any actual experience for his job, that this person has actually spent 15 years in the Israeli Foreign Service.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I want to make it clear to any reader who might have the impression that surely, such a moron could not have had any actual experience for his job, that this person has actually spent 15 years in the Israeli Foreign Service.

Irrelevant really, this was surely done at the behest of Liberman himself.

No opinions on the kindergarten video? I was sure you'd enjoy it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Oh, man, do I have to? Fine, let me go watch it.

ETA: Jesus Christ, he is the Israeli Mitt Romney.

ETA2: Apparently it is illegal in Israel to use children in an election campaign, so we'll see where that goes:

quote:

"We view the cynical use of small children for election propaganda very gravely," Kadman said. "It is particularly unfortunate that this is done by a big ruling party that is supposed to know the law and respect it."

Amendment 18 to the Election Law states that a child under the age of 15 cannot participate in election propaganda. Participation of children in campaign videos is forbidden, unless it is a video or a photo showing a child engaging in normal activity.

"They took very small children, and made inappropriate and illegal use in them only for the sake of slamming other parties," Kadman said.

Kadman said the Israel National Council for the Child will complain to the head of the Election Committee of the violation of the law, and ask him to work to prevent other parties of breaking this law.

The Likud party said in response that "this is one campaign video of many. It was prepared but was not approved for broadcast. The video was filmed based on a legal opinion prepared beforehand by the Likud's legal adviser, and after the required permissions were obtained, including the parents' permissions. Unfortunately, due to a technical error, the video went online even though it was not approved for release and broadcast by the Likud campaign."

In other news, an alleged attack by Israeli forces killed several Hezbollah operatives, including Jihad Mughniyeh, son of the late Hezbollah leader who was assassinated (allegedly) by Israel years ago. A former head of Israeli Southern Command says the timing may well have to do with the elections, as he's seen this behavior before the last one, when he was still in service.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 18, 2015

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Sorry for double-posting, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4PyeR1YsD8

:sbahj:

(More analysis if you're into that kind of thing)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

To be fair, that's super common in foreign affairs stuff. You can't really come out and say mean things about the other nation, but you can make little gestures like this to suggest that you don't view the other countries as equals or that you look down on them or that you're not happy with them, and that kind of minor but obviously intentional disrespect can become an issue of national pride and prestige or as an opening step to a series of negotiations. If a country openly snubs the other's representative like that, it's usually an indication that they feel that they're in a strong position, that they have the advantage in negotiations or conflict, or that they're going to do what they want and don't even care about what the other nation thinks.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

"The party’s latest conference, in Ashdod, featured a very unusual guest speaker: Ophir Toubul, editor of radical cultural magazine Café Gibraltar. ”The lower class today has a color,” Touboul said, with Deri sitting to his right. “It is the Mizrahis, the Russians, the Ethiopians, the Druze, the Bedouin, the Arabs… I call on Rabbi Deri to open up the party, to make Shas belong to all the people of Israel, and you might not like what I’m about to say – women, conservatives and seculars, should all be here. What Bennett did in the Jewish Home is what should be done at Shas.” His remarks were met with thunderous applause."

What does this refer to?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Tzipi! Tzipi, Tzipi!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

To be fair, that's super common in foreign affairs stuff. You can't really come out and say mean things about the other nation, but you can make little gestures like this to suggest that you don't view the other countries as equals or that you look down on them or that you're not happy with them, and that kind of minor but obviously intentional disrespect can become an issue of national pride and prestige or as an opening step to a series of negotiations. If a country openly snubs the other's representative like that, it's usually an indication that they feel that they're in a strong position, that they have the advantage in negotiations or conflict, or that they're going to do what they want and don't even care about what the other nation thinks.

Yeah, but here's the thing: you don't actually spell it out. loving Israel.

bpower posted:

"The party’s latest conference, in Ashdod, featured a very unusual guest speaker: Ophir Toubul, editor of radical cultural magazine Café Gibraltar. ”The lower class today has a color,” Touboul said, with Deri sitting to his right. “It is the Mizrahis, the Russians, the Ethiopians, the Druze, the Bedouin, the Arabs… I call on Rabbi Deri to open up the party, to make Shas belong to all the people of Israel, and you might not like what I’m about to say – women, conservatives and seculars, should all be here. What Bennett did in the Jewish Home is what should be done at Shas.” His remarks were met with thunderous applause."

What does this refer to?

Probably trying to appeal to a wider audience than just the National Religious/settler sector in their case, or in this case, traditional and Haredi Mizrahi Jews.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Something needs to be said about Bibi hyping the Daesh/Al Qaeda threat in the course of his elections campaign and then going and killing their enemies for them, in loving Syria.

-neutrino-
Nov 4, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

"Armenia is a powerless and poor country."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Something needs to be said about Bibi hyping the Daesh/Al Qaeda threat in the course of his elections campaign and then going and killing their enemies for them, in loving Syria.

See, the problem you and other libtards have is that you refuse to accept the race-realist perspective, where all Muslims are part of this huge, hostile, amorphous blob of fundamentalism. :newt:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So, Yoav Galant, former commander of the IDF's Southern Command who's now running for the Knesset in Moshe Kahlon's party, was interviewed today and suggested that Jihad Mughniyeh assassination was not a preemptive strike given any particular or time critical threat but rather "not unrelated to the elections".

He then says this about the 2012 assassination of Muhammad Jabari (which led to the major escalation leading to 'Pillar of Cloud': "The timing of the assassination was not something that had to be done at a specific date, As the commander of the Southern Command there were many opportunities to have assassinated him prior which I personally have requested, and for some reason it didn't happen earlier".

Bennet just had a poo poo fit about these comments by the way.

So, is Bibi trying to drum up something with Hezbollah?

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 20, 2015

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So, is Bibi trying to drum up something with Hezbollah?

Third time's the charm!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What'd have to happen for Netenyahoo to get egg on his face with these actions?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

RandomPauI posted:

What'd have to happen for Netenyahoo to get egg on his face with these actions?

Someone other than Netanyahu would have to have actual loving charisma in that there political landscape. Then they could actually capitalize on this idiot's repeated faux pas.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Nothing will ever top this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5wCALTOhCU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So while all of this other stuff has been going on, a 14 year old Palestinian girl by the name of Malak al Khatib has spent the past three weeks under administrative detention in Sharon prison for the alleged crime of throwing stones at IDF soldiers, earlier today she was supposed to be brought before a military judge but the military attorney didn't show up so she was sent back to prison:

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/news/middle-east/16434-israel-continues-to-keep-a-14-year-old-palestinian-girl-under-arrest

o139.org points out that the three arsonists who set fire to the bilingual school in Jerusalem were released to their homes following their interrogation, I'd add that as far as I know the settlers who threw stones at the American convoy were never even arrested (could be wrong).

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

I guess this isn't exactly related to I/P but I wasn't sure where else to post it: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-30877296

The Argentinean prosecutor who accused President Kirchner of helping Hezbollah cover up their involvement in the Jewish center bombing last week was just found dead.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

It's hard to follow this thread when you don't know hebrew.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Grondoth posted:

It's hard to follow this thread when you don't know hebrew.
gently caress Russian immigrants. There's your translation for the day. Makes one yearn for the glorious example of comrade Lenin.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Uhm so apparently an Iranian general was among those killed by the IDF airtsrike in Syria - http://www.wsj.com/articles/iranian-general-killed-sunday-in-syria-1421678099

And now Israel is deploying Iron Dome batteries along the lebanese border - http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Report-Iron-Dome-deployed-to-northern-Israel-after-alleged-Syria-strike-388266

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Uhm so apparently an Iranian general was among those killed by the IDF airtsrike in Syria - http://www.wsj.com/articles/iranian-general-killed-sunday-in-syria-1421678099

And now Israel is deploying Iron Dome batteries along the lebanese border - http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Report-Iron-Dome-deployed-to-northern-Israel-after-alleged-Syria-strike-388266

That WSJ article is paywalled. Got a full quote for anyone who doesn't want to give even more money to Rupert Murdoch?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Darth Walrus posted:

That WSJ article is paywalled. Got a full quote for anyone who doesn't want to give even more money to Rupert Murdoch?

How do you feel about the Grauniard?

ETA:

Mysh cartoon regarding the latest alleged Israeli attack on Hezbollah/Iranian targets:

Netanyahu: "Help me help you"

Left graph title: Support for PM Netanyahu

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 19, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pretty chill about them. Ta.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2015/01/iran-general-killed-israeli-attack-syria.html

quote:

Jihad does not appear to have been a key Hezbollah figure in the attack, however. One of the more central Hezbollah figures killed is Mohammad Ahmad Issa, who Raja News identified as an intelligence official, though other news agencies reported he was a top commander for Iraq and Syria.
There have been conflicting reports in the Iranian media about the number of IRGC members killed. Yazdi News was one of the first Iranian media outlets to cover it, reporting the story before the IRGC confirmed Allahdadi’s death. Tabnak News reported that “some members” of the IRGC had been killed. According to the Israeli Ynet News, Hezbollah’s Al-Manar television station had claimed that Iranian Gen. Abu Ali al-Tabatabaei was among those killed.

This whole thing is a little weird.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Whats so weird? A high-level, pro-nuke hardliner presented himself as a target of oppoetunity. Eliminate him, and you seriously weaken the position of pro-nuke hardliners in Iran.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

It's probably still very fog-of-war/fog-of-classification right now. They can't really hide the funerals as much, so at some point it'll come out, but it's not surprising details are a bit dodgy about a Hezbollah-Iran delegation in Syria getting bombed by (allegedly) the Israelis.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Think about what could be achieved if every bomb that landed on Gaza actually landed on Hezbollah and Iranian brass.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Volkerball posted:

Think about what could be achieved if every bomb that landed on Gaza actually landed on Hezbollah and Iranian brass.

Pretty sure they tried that in 2006 in Lebanon. It failed miserably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I hear a lot about Lebanon being a disaster for the IDF, but I'm not au fait with the details. What went wrong, and how bad did it get?

• Locked thread