Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The DF UI is based solely in muscle memory. I dont even see the keys any more, it's all blonde, redhead, quartz sharkman titan vomiting magma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I do remember once seeing a tileset that replaced all the characters with Matrix glyphs. Then all the colours were changed to various greens.

It was awesome.

Edit:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

I do remember once seeing a tileset that replaced all the characters with Matrix glyphs. Then all the colours were changed to various greens.

It was awesome.

Edit:

that...looks like it wouldn't really be any harder to decipher and play, which boggles the mind :psyduck:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I wonder how hard it would be to support animated gifs as tilesets...

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tunicate posted:

Considering that there exist such monstrosities as pony succubus fort mods, do you really want this?

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Can't decide on a tileset? Just cycle through all of them at once. :iit:

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

TildeATH posted:

That guy's a tool and a sissy. I picked up Dwarf Fortress immediately. Most of us do unless there's some level of brain damage on the part of the player.

Ugh, replacing a US-centric education with a Japan-centric education is no improvement. Learning the history of Japan is a waste of time--it's a completely unimportant island backwater until 400 years ago--kind of like Britain. Study Russia or Central America or China or India or Mesopotamia or the Mediterranean--places that have been historically significant for a couple thousand or more years. Don't replace one fetishistic, overly modern historical gaze with another just because it happens to be the place where they invented pokemon.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

a!n posted:

Can't decide on a tileset? Just cycle through all of them at once. :iit:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Rave Fortress 2015

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

When I first started DF I launched it, hosed around a bit on a map when I didn't know how anything at all worked, accomplished nothing for like an hour, then quit

Then I watched one or two 20 minute videos, to get the basic idea of how the game works (and very importantly what the gently caress z-levels were and how they work), and then I just booted up another fortress and got to it.

Really once you figure out how to dig, how to start a farm, and how to do workshops, you've kinda got everything you need. Everything else isn't terribly difficult to learn as you play by reading up on the wiki how something works when you're ready to try something new

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I first started DF, saw the ASCII art, downloaded a tileset then had the wiki opened up to refer to whenever I needed clarification on something. I really don't see how people can say its super complex past its graphics and UI.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Leal posted:

I first started DF, saw the ASCII art, downloaded a tileset then had the wiki opened up to refer to whenever I needed clarification on something. I really don't see how people can say its super complex past its graphics and UI.

Because it's the graphics and UI that are the problem.

Well and the sheer breadth of features. Decision paralysis is a hell of a thing.

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

Thanks thread for reminding me this game exists, I'm now destined to die alone in a pile of turds

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

If you're just starting and also want to use ASCII art, I'd recommend going into the ini files and turning off varied ground

Personally, I like the ASCII graphics. I kinda just wish I could hide gatherable-plants on the ground, so that grass/moss is always the same character. 99% of the time I really don't care if I can gather plants in a spot or not, and if I do care I don't even look to check if there's plant tiles there or not, I just designate the whole area

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Flesh Forge posted:

It is totally OK to not like a game :shrug:

You're really messed up, you know that? You can't post that in this thread, go post that in the Clockwork Horrors thread, you traitor to Dwarf Fortress.

KyloWinter posted:

Ugh, replacing a US-centric education with a Japan-centric education is no improvement. Learning the history of Japan is a waste of time--it's a completely unimportant island backwater until 400 years ago--kind of like Britain. Study Russia or Central America or China or India or Mesopotamia or the Mediterranean--places that have been historically significant for a couple thousand or more years. Don't replace one fetishistic, overly modern historical gaze with another just because it happens to be the place where they invented pokemon.

Now you're starting to make some sense. But I don't know what that has to do with the One True Game.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You would understand if you were not a Baka gaijin

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ghostwoods posted:

It's something like six months before they appear, isn't it?

The caravan showed up with the message "No outpost liaison? How curious..." and migrants stopped coming after wave 2.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Lurdiak posted:

The caravan showed up with the message "No outpost liaison? How curious..." and migrants stopped coming after wave 2.

It means the civ is dead, I think.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

my dad posted:

It means the civ is dead, I think.

I can confirm; happened to me before. At some point one of your dwarves will be spontaneously elected king.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

On the other hand I've had that message two years (ish) in a row but the migrants never stopped coming. Sooner or later the outpost liaison came back into existence! In conclusion it is a mystery, but keep looking at the Dwarven civ (press c) to see if there's anyone besides your guys.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There are a billion dudes in the civ tab, and apparently civs cannot cross bodies of water yet. so I'm leaning towards being impossibly isolated due to not checking my map properly before embarking.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's possible for the liaison to get killed or replaced out in the world so if you get that message but your civ isn't wiped out that's probably what has happened.

Had a liaison get the boot once and henceforth I had a lot of engravings about dwarves shunning that guy and I didn't get a replacement until the year after. I went into legends and he didn't die so idk he must have made the king mad somehow.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Okay, my beeswax crafting reaction turned a single glob into 900 figurines. Time for some troubleshooting.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

scamtank posted:

Okay, my beeswax crafting reaction turned a single glob into 900 figurines. Time for some troubleshooting.

Hooray, honey is worth it now!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mystery solved: a liaison finally showed up and informed me that just about everything on the trade route has been conquered by something called the Horror of Haunting. Fun is clearly incoming.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

On second thought maybe I should avoid embarking next to a lair in the dark ages mod.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

My soldiers keep getting HORRIFIED at the death of the monsters they kill. I thought I was playing Dwarf Fortress, not Elf Palace. :mad:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought that was fixed in the current version?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

My soldiers keep getting HORRIFIED at the death of the monsters they kill. I thought I was playing Dwarf Fortress, not Elf Palace. :mad:

to be fair, :iit:

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

If I killed a freaky rear end monster I'd feel pretty bad rear end personally.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Killing bad beasties should give you either a good feeling (other than enjoyed slaughter) or raise the moral of nearby soldiers.

Urist feels a burst of energy as the death of the dragon revitalizes his spirit! * Kills more goblins*

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

The alligator killed five dwarves and then a miner literally mined the alligator's brain out.

e: The dwarf that killed the alligator "didn't feel anything after seeing the alligator die". Cold as ice.

oddium fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 18, 2015

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

oddium posted:

The alligator killed five dwarves and then a miner literally mined the alligator's brain out.

e: The dwarf that killed the alligator "didn't feel anything after seeing the alligator die". Cold as ice.

All he felt was 'around', for his flask of booze. :black101:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Favorite recent event is half of the fortass dog-piling a troll. Everyone, including the troll, intermittently passes out from exhaustion during the intense slap-fight which ensues. The troll finally dies due to being a mass of bruises.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

RedTonic posted:

Favorite recent event is half of the fortass

dorf fortass

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Moridin920 posted:

after a while you don't need the menus it's just b-c for a chair, bCw for walls and you don't even think about the lovely UI

loving irritating to learn though. what does get me is that some menus use - and + and some use the arrow keys that's just silly.

Problem is, it's even more inconsistent than that. The hotkey to construct a floodgate, f'rinstance, is b-x. You make a glass floodgate with q-a-(e/c/k)-H. You make a wooden or stone floodgate with q-a-l. Coffins are o for glass, k for wood, and p for stone, and n to put in place. And there are no hotkeys for working at the forge, most likely because there are over 9000 possible metals, so making a hotkey system that can handle each possibility is more work than Toady wants to put into it.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

darthbob88 posted:

Problem is, it's even more inconsistent than that. The hotkey to construct a floodgate, f'rinstance, is b-x. You make a glass floodgate with q-a-(e/c/k)-H. You make a wooden or stone floodgate with q-a-l. Coffins are o for glass, k for wood, and p for stone, and n to put in place. And there are no hotkeys for working at the forge, most likely because there are over 9000 possible metals, so making a hotkey system that can handle each possibility is more work than Toady wants to put into it.

I don't see a problem with anything you listed.

Also, there's no reason to hotkey every possible metal, because in most scenarios, you'll only have 2-3 to work with? So on that fort you'll just remember the number of times you need to quickly tap - to scroll down to the right metal.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ai-yay-yai. Things were going ok, but I accidentally dropped a human caravan into a spike trap while trying to keep a werebeast out. The human diplomat interrupted the meeting and hosed off, possibly because my dwarves started looting the corpses. How hosed am I?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

is in fact what we call it at Chez Tonic.

Lurdiak posted:

Ai-yay-yai. Things were going ok, but I accidentally dropped a human caravan into a spike trap while trying to keep a werebeast out. The human diplomat interrupted the meeting and hosed off, possibly because my dwarves started looting the corpses. How hosed am I?

Did the diplo leave angry? Anyway, chances are that you won't end up besieged by that civ, but you might not have a human caravan for awhile/it may have pretty paltry goods for trade when you next see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Gibbo posted:

I don't see a problem with anything you listed.

Also, there's no reason to hotkey every possible metal, because in most scenarios, you'll only have 2-3 to work with? So on that fort you'll just remember the number of times you need to quickly tap - to scroll down to the right metal.

He's saying that the hotkeys for selecting materials are not the same across different objects -- it would make sense for "Build glass _____" to always be, say, G, while stone would be S and wood would be W, as opposed to having a different hotkey for various objects.