Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Muscle Tracer posted:

He's saying that the hotkeys for selecting materials are not the same across different objects -- it would make sense for "Build glass _____" to always be, say, G, while stone would be S and wood would be W, as opposed to having a different hotkey for various objects.

I get what he's saying, but things don't always work out that way. Should just be happy there are hotkeys for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Should just be happy toady doesn't geolocate your IP when you download the game and come kick you in the balls, you insufferable ingrates.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Gibbo posted:

I get what he's saying, but things don't always work out that way. Should just be happy there are hotkeys for anything.

"Listen, I know it doesn't make sense that 'shoot' and 'throw grenade' are switched in level 3, but things don't always work out that way. Should just be happy you can use your mouse at all."

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Muscle Tracer posted:

"Listen, I know it doesn't make sense that 'shoot' and 'throw grenade' are switched in level 3, but things don't always work out that way. Should just be happy you can use your mouse at all."

That would imply that keys change as the game progresses. The keys, while mismatched, are constant.

So suck it up and keep playing your free game.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Muscle Tracer posted:

He's saying that the hotkeys for selecting materials are not the same across different objects -- it would make sense for "Build glass _____" to always be, say, G, while stone would be S and wood would be W, as opposed to having a different hotkey for various objects.

Who the gently caress uses hotkeys for building poo poo in workshops once you've got a manager? Which you should have within seconds of starting your new fort anyways because all you need is a table and a chair.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Tables and chairs wait until I finish building 300 bins

Evil Sheep
Jan 28, 2009
My biggest complaint about the UI is constantly hitting the "?" instead of the ">", is there a way to change this?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Get a Scandic keyboard where >, < and | are crammed on the same key sitting next to the left shift.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Evil Sheep posted:

My biggest complaint about the UI is constantly hitting the "?" instead of the ">", is there a way to change this?

Use [ and ] instead.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I see what you mean about the hotkeys on floodgates and such but I usually just go u-m-n then start typing what I want and hit enter twice (unless I need more than one!).

Don't even have to move the cursor to the relevant workshop and unless your manager sucks or is occupied with tons of other stuff the order gets approved very quickly.

e: oh someone already mentioned the manager

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 19, 2015

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I like to use the j-m-q pathway for manager. I don't remember what any of those hotkeys officially represent. I wasn't even sure as to the keystrokes until I pretended I needed to queue up 30 bars of coke.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Kenning posted:

I like to use the j-m-q pathway for manager. I don't remember what any of those hotkeys officially represent. I wasn't even sure as to the keystrokes until I pretended I needed to queue up 30 bars of coke.

Jobs - Manager - Queue a new Task

e: And while yes, the UI is a horrible loving inconsistent mess, it could be a fuckload worse. At the very least we have fairly short hotkey combos that can be easily memorized and committed to muscle memory.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kenning posted:

Same. Sometimes I got to tell someone how to do something, and then just sit there staring at the screen because I do not know the sequence. Need to watch where my fingers go while I pretend I'm doing it. Kinda creepy.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Muscle Tracer posted:

Actually, I'm OK with the materials being different, and as far as I'm concerned G-for-glass is implied by the fact that you're queueing a job at a glassmaker's/carpenter's/mason's workshop. It's the items having different hotkeys depending on which menu you're in that annoys me, because that means I can't just remember that it's c for chair, t for table, etc. It's c for chair, unless I'm building it in a glass workshop in which case it's r and labeled as a throne. A coffin is n if I'm putting it in place, k if I'm making it in a carpenter's shop, p if I'm carving it in a mason's shop, or o if I'm casting it in a glass furnace. If I want some statues, it's u at a mason's workshop or glass furnace, but s at a kiln or to put it in place. Cabinets, doors, and tables are at least consistently f, d and t, respectively, but there are enough other pitfalls that it really starts to get on my nerves.

WRT "Thank Armok there's a semi-automated job manager", there are edge cases where I want certain products made by one particular workshop rather than any and all. If I need steel armor, or obsidian statuary for the nobles, I want those jobs queued at the shops used by the master craftsdwarfs, and not the remedial shops where newbies crank out -copper leggings- and diorite blocks from now to Goblin Christmas.

ETA: Also, if I want a workshop to just repeat a job or two, like collecting sand and making green glass blocks, or brewing alcohol, or cranking out copper leggings, it usually is easiest to queue the job at the workshop and set it to repeat forever rather than ask the manager to queue the job in lots of 30. For like 80-90% of what I do, though, the manager actually is pretty adequate.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 19, 2015

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Since I can't think of a better place to post this: is there a reasonably complete and up-to-date list of DF-alikes anywhere? Stuff like Rimworld, Gnomoria, Spacebase DF-9, Craft the World, even slightly further afield stuff like Startopia and Dungeon Keeper?

Alternatively, are there any non-Prison Architect/Rimworld DF-alikes that aren't currently too buggy or incomplete to play or just plain lovely? And whatever happened to Goblin Camp, did that just fizzle out before achieving anything noteworthy?

I'll suggest that CtW, while a dramatically cut down experience compared to DF, is enough to scratch the itch on an iPad. You've got dwarves who mine, chop wood, kill monsters, etc., who need bedrooms and food, with a reasonably complex but slightly pain in the rear end crafting system. It's 2-d, but it's a side view like Terraria rather than a top down view, which helps add an element of height with the strategic implications thereof, and a natural progression that involves digger ever deeper. There's none of the "emergent complexity" of DF and it lacks that feel of control over the environment and your NPCs that Rimworld does, but it's reasonably enjoyable.

Anyone feel like creating a megathread? There's a roguelike megathread, but it doesn't quite fit.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

relax, a photo's not gonna make any difference

I'm surprised there aren't more recommendations to use the keypad. It really seems like Toady designed the UI around having one hand on the keyboard proper and one on the keypad - left for choosing alpha hotkeys, right for navigation, designation, menus, etc. Ctrl+5 and Shift+5 solve the <> vs ? problem, for one. Many menus use 2389 for paging. On others, +-*/ are all right there too. Navigating in all directions, designation, etc via 12346789, enter is right there to start/stop designation.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Using the keypad is how I get along for the most part. I do agree that the UI is built for touch typists. Once I learned the important keys, it was pretty smooth for me (but I got stuck in a keyboarding class for two years in grade school). Sorta reminds me of the old MUDs.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

My gem cutter keeps flashing a teal X but I can't see anything in his health tab. What does it mean?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Cave spider bites can cause intermittent stun.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I figured it out, he keeps going outside and getting nauseous.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is your gem stockpile outside or something?

If everyone has cave adaptation already and you don't want to bother un-adapting them then make sure you have a meeting area or statue garden somewhere in the fortress so that when they idle they go there in lieu of wandering around outside getting rained on and puking.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think it's because I have no indoor wells and keep running out of booze. Well, that and all the crap laying around outside from the dead goblins. My entrance hall is covered in vomit.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

I think being incased in ice has killed more adventurers of mine than all other deaths combined... there's gotta be a way to induce global warming in the world gen parameters, right?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone link that df world gen file where the average temperature is hotter than the surface of the sun.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

And also, for fun, I edited the raws to make elves slavers, cruel, and babysnatchers. Let's see what happens.

(And also gave Kobolds the same no eat/drink tag as goblins, so maybe they'll actually survive for longer than 10 years?)

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Is there an easy way to start the game with more dwarfs? Like a [DWARFS_START:7] token somewhere that I can just edit? Or is it more complex than that?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

All my dwarves just decided they're sick of hauling stone and now I constantly have around 20 idlers. This truly is hell!

E: For some reason my stockpile had just stopped working. Making a new one solved it.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 19, 2015

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!
I don't remember if the thread talked about this recently, but if we have my apologies!

How do people feel about dfhack autolabor? It feels kind of cheaty, but when I think about it I pretty much do the same thing on a smaller scale. If I don't have anyone with woodcrafting to finish building the craftsdwarf workshop I enable the labor, let him build it, and turn it off. I haven't played a full game with it on but seems like it'll be kind of nice to minimize idle dwarfs and get their lazy dwarf asses to do some planting.

Also a question about the workflow plugin. So if I have say, a constraint setup to always have 100-110 wooden bolts stockpiled, is that constraint locked to the workshop I used? or does it work with every workshop that has the job on repeat?

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

VDay posted:

Is there an easy way to start the game with more dwarfs? Like a [DWARFS_START:7] token somewhere that I can just edit? Or is it more complex than that?

If you use DFhack, you can use startdwarf then how many you want: for example startdwarf 14.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

mornhaven posted:

If you use DFhack, you can use startdwarf then how many you want: for example startdwarf 14.

Is there a specific time/menu that I have to do this at? Doing it before embarking didn't seem to actually give me more dwarfs, although the command seems to have gone through fine without any errors.

e: Using the newest version (for 20.43) of LNP.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

cyxx posted:

Also a question about the workflow plugin. So if I have say, a constraint setup to always have 100-110 wooden bolts stockpiled, is that constraint locked to the workshop I used? or does it work with every workshop that has the job on repeat?
Every workshop with that job on repeat

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Neurion posted:

Who the gently caress uses hotkeys for building poo poo in workshops once you've got a manager? Which you should have within seconds of starting your new fort anyways because all you need is a table and a chair.

You don't actually need a table

just a chair.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

cyxx posted:

I don't remember if the thread talked about this recently, but if we have my apologies!

How do people feel about dfhack autolabor? It feels kind of cheaty, but when I think about it I pretty much do the same thing on a smaller scale. If I don't have anyone with woodcrafting to finish building the craftsdwarf workshop I enable the labor, let him build it, and turn it off. I haven't played a full game with it on but seems like it'll be kind of nice to minimize idle dwarfs and get their lazy dwarf asses to do some planting.

I like it, it reduces the micromanagement necessary, though I don't know if it takes the dwarves ' skills into account.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

cyxx posted:

It applies to any repeating jobs that match the constraint (including materials set with job-material).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Lurdiak posted:

I think it's because I have no indoor wells and keep running out of booze. Well, that and all the crap laying around outside from the dead goblins. My entrance hall is covered in vomit.

You make it sound like that's a problem.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

You make it sound like that's a problem.

Combined with the weird glitch that makes my dwarves take the deaths of goblins as harshly as the death of fellow dwarves, it's making them awful grumpy.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

VDay posted:

Is there a specific time/menu that I have to do this at? Doing it before embarking didn't seem to actually give me more dwarfs, although the command seems to have gone through fine without any errors.

e: Using the newest version (for 20.43) of LNP.

It used to work when choosing an embark site, but before assigning skills.

e: doesn't appear to work with the latest LNP. :shrug:

mornhaven fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 20, 2015

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

quote:

Toady One posted:

We're going to start in on inns and taverns now. As we said in the report, we'll hold off on recipes and generated games/gambling until the second tavern release to avoid an unseemly delay. So what'll be in the first release? You'll be able to define taverns for use by your dwarves and by visitors (who will know about the presence of the taverns automatically until we get to start scenarios). The main tavern associated area will likely be a meeting hall or dining room, at your discretion -- activities will include instrument use (finally!), singing, dancing, storytelling, drinking and eating. We're also strongly considering doing something with standing orders, at least to the point where the booze supply can be maintained.

What does Tarn mean by "recipes and generated games/gambling"? Is he seriously thinking about procedurally generated card games and booze recipes for taverns?

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I like to add a bit of werewolf blood to my stronger liquor for some extra kick, but you have to remember to get the measurements right or things get really unpleasant at the end of the month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Helical Nightmares posted:

What does Tarn mean by "recipes and generated games/gambling"? Is he seriously thinking about procedurally generated card games and booze recipes for taverns?

I think he was planning on starting with procedurally generated dice games, actually.