Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
5 items left for Real Platinum God. i got Godhead just now, after already having Mega Tears plus Cricket's Body... I wasn't exactly the most overpowered for that run, but god drat, that ENTIRE circle is a hitbox. :stare: I cleared boss rush in like 2 minutes.

Anyway, apparently I haven't even gotten the achievement for unlocking D4 yet, which is to blow up 30 slot machines in the arcade. Do you have to blow them up through feeding them enough coins, or is bombing them enough? I've been bombing them but have no idea what number I'm at now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Sebbe posted:

Here's a fun little combo I've been thinking would work for a while, but didn't get to check out until now:

Any non-specific heart drops generated in this room turn into eternal hearts. So, if you use A Card Against Humanity inthere, well, that's a few HP ups.

It's too bad you're full up on hp and red hearts are just worse than blue/black ones :(

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Shock Trooper posted:

Anyway, apparently I haven't even gotten the achievement for unlocking D4 yet, which is to blow up 30 slot machines in the arcade. Do you have to blow them up through feeding them enough coins, or is bombing them enough? I've been bombing them but have no idea what number I'm at now.

Just keep blowing them up, you don't have to feed them. I think the fortune tellers and blood banks count as well.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Skaw posted:

You can also use Lovers card, the Jar, Hematemesis pills, old bandage/fanny pack and a source of damage, bloody penny.. anything that causes hearts to drop on the ground.

Are you sure about this? I do believe the ones I bolded give specific heart drops, and not non-specific ones, and thus shouldn't depend on the room they're used in.

By specific heart drops, I mean, they'll always give one precise type of heart. You won't pop a Lovers card and have a chance for one of the hearts to be a half red heart, or soul heart; they're always two full red hearts. Much like how The Hierophant always produces soul hearts.

When you shoot a poop, however, you can get a half red heart, a full red heart, a soul heart, etc... That's a non-specific heart drop.

The room simply forces every non-specific heart drop to be an eternal heart drop.

(The same trick works on the super secret room that contains a black heart; any non-specific heart spawn in that room becomes a black heart.)

I'd love to be proven wrong, though, but that's just my understanding of the situation.

senae posted:

It's too bad you're full up on hp and red hearts are just worse than blue/black ones :(

Oh, yeah. I was just doing it for science, really. Blank Card + A Card Against Humanity + Petrified used in large rooms is a good source of soul hearts.

I'm thinking it could be useful in another run, though.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Sebbe posted:

Are you sure about this? I do believe the ones I bolded give specific heart drops, and not non-specific ones, and thus shouldn't depend on the room they're used in.

By specific heart drops, I mean, they'll always give one precise type of heart. You won't pop a Lovers card and have a chance for one of the hearts to be a half red heart, or soul heart; they're always two full red hearts. Much like how The Hierophant always produces soul hearts.

When you shoot a poop, however, you can get a half red heart, a full red heart, a soul heart, etc... That's a non-specific heart drop.

The room simply forces every non-specific heart drop to be an eternal heart drop.

(The same trick works on the super secret room that contains a black heart; any non-specific heart spawn in that room becomes a black heart.)

I'd love to be proven wrong, though, but that's just my understanding of the situation.

Oh, yeah. I was just doing it for science, really. Blank Card + A Card Against Humanity + Petrified used in large rooms is a good source of soul hearts.

I'm thinking it could be useful in another run, though.

I think the specific flags for room heart drops override the specific flags for cards and items.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
^ absolutely. The room overrides the heart type. A dark bum gives out regular hearts on the red heart super secret room. And just constantly picks up what he drops for a while.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

The Bee posted:

I think the specific flags for room heart drops override the specific flags for cards and items.

Huh, I suppose so. Just tried with The Hierophant and it worked. Hadn't expected that. :shobon:

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Ugato posted:

^ absolutely. The room overrides the heart type. A dark bum gives out regular hearts on the red heart super secret room. And just constantly picks up what he drops for a while.

Yes but since he can 'carry' hearts between rooms you can just let him pick up the red hearts, leave before he returns to your side, and he'll drop a bunch of Soul hearts.

So after playing this for a while I can't help but feel like this game is way easier than flash Isaac and I can't put my finger on why- but if I play on Normal I can usually get a pretty OP build. I don't think I've lost an Isaac or Judas run in forever.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
It's true that Hard is the 'intended' way to play, but I guess Normal had to exist given that so many more people play Rebirth, so gives new players chance to learn the game, and something a little fun for the experienced players to dip into. HM is a fair challenge though, for the most part.

Been using NM to do some breaking runs as well, always an easier environment for that. Had a good one that gave me Missingno early, one of the few items I needed for RPG. Of course, that broke the setup I had (Habit + Sharp Plug + Wafer + D6), but knocked off one of the more annoying items to find, so that's something. Probably about time I did a Monster Manual breaking run, still need the two achievements there, and then I just need to find that Super Bandage, along with Guardian Angel and of course, Godhead.

PS: Any idea what is the best options are to improve Angel Room chance?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Toothache posted:

It's true that Hard is the 'intended' way to play, but I guess Normal had to exist given that so many more people play Rebirth, so gives new players chance to learn the game, and something a little fun for the experienced players to dip into. HM is a fair challenge though, for the most part.

Been using NM to do some breaking runs as well, always an easier environment for that. Had a good one that gave me Missingno early, one of the few items I needed for RPG. Of course, that broke the setup I had (Habit + Sharp Plug + Wafer + D6), but knocked off one of the more annoying items to find, so that's something. Probably about time I did a Monster Manual breaking run, still need the two achievements there, and then I just need to find that Super Bandage, along with Guardian Angel and of course, Godhead.

The Rosary Bead will. Bombing beggars will improve your chances either way, as will the Goat Head. Go into Devil rooms, but don't take any deals. When you get an Angel room, fight him and take the key fragment. That piece will improve your chances even more.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Hard is annoying with all the stupid curses. It's not "hard" in a fun way, just obnoxious.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Got my first almost breaking run with Jera + Blank Card.

While doing a challenge....

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

omeg posted:

Hard is annoying with all the stupid curses. It's not "hard" in a fun way, just obnoxious.

yeah, basically. it's one of the most poorly thought-out implementations of a hard mode that i've ever seen.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
CobaltStreak is in the middle of a nutso broken run where he's spawning about 20 item pedestals per room and rerolling them.

http://www.twitch.tv/cobaltstreak

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 19, 2015

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Just to throw this out, am I the only person who thinks the new soundtrack is actually kind of lame compared to the original? I can barely tell the boss themes apart and nothing chills me as much as Sacrificial did.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Codiekitty posted:

Just to throw this out, am I the only person who thinks the new soundtrack is actually kind of lame compared to the original? I can barely tell the boss themes apart and nothing chills me as much as Sacrificial did.

If you look at the steam guides for the game, there's a mod that replaces the new music with the original's music.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

If you look at the steam guides for the game, there's a mod that replaces the new music with the original's music.

Does it disable Achievements?

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Codiekitty posted:

The music in Rebirth is a significant downgrade from the original.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

I lay on my back

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Codiekitty posted:

Does it disable Achievements?

I haven't done anything to earn any achievements since I've installed, but the main menu doesn't even say the game is modded.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
It's weird. I think the Rebirth music fits the atmosphere better in some ways, but the original's soundtrack had way catchier hooks. I find myself humming the stupid bell lead in sacrifice all the time, much more than any of the new songs.

The crazy thing is I've played twice as much of rebirth and I couldn't really hum the melodies when I'm not playing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think the new soundtrack is on a basically equal level of quality but man do I miss the old main menu theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5mnDcZu0I0

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

I lay on my back

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

CJacobs posted:

I think the new soundtrack is on a basically equal level of quality but man do I miss the old main menu theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5mnDcZu0I0
This is the one I missed the most easily.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbWDWoC6X4I

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

yeah, basically. it's one of the most poorly thought-out implementations of a hard mode that i've ever seen.

Yeah, they should have gone in the direction of making the enemies more insane, having crazier room layouts, and curses that are like some of those easter egg seeds. Instead it just feels like they made champions slightly more common and consumables slightly less common. So the end result is that you see fewer items, and that's a problem because items are the fun thing about Isaac.

I kind of want a 3rd Insane mode with lots more variance, and where it's stuff like "Curse of the D10, all the enemies in a room get re-rolled when you walk in." Hard mode as it stands is just really kind of boring, and I don't understand why it had to be that way. They showcased some cool ideas with the special seeds, and then it's like that's where all their interesting ideas went to die.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
What you're looking for is challenges.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

The new music is so much better. It's better recorded and the layering effects are awesome. Stop living in nostalgia

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ferroque posted:

Stop living in nostalgia

lol if you're actually being serious

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I turned the music off after an hour or so and haven't bothered with it since. I've no idea what any of the later tracks even sound like.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

I lay on my back

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Ferroque posted:

The new music is so much better. It's better recorded and the layering effects are awesome. Stop living in nostalgia

It's a mixture I think. There's some tracks I like more like more in the newer soundtrack (ex: caves) and some I like more in the older soundtrack (ex: cellar). They're both really good, but I think the older one is more memorable for the most part.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Ferroque posted:

The new music is indisputably better mixed and mastered. I'd even argue the sound design and atmosphere are arguably better and more cohesive. But you're cracked if you think the hooks and melodies are as memorable/catchy as Sacrifical or the Main Theme from Flash Isaac.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Gromit posted:

I turned the music off after an hour or so and haven't bothered with it since. I've no idea what any of the later tracks even sound like.

:agreed:

BoI is such a good game for zoning out and listening to some podcasts or new music or whatever. I'm glad the new music isn't so great because that way I don't feel like I"m missing anything.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Gromit posted:

Sheol has the best track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbiblpG4lAs

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
I think the Cathedral and Chest have better music in Rebirth, but man I really miss My Innermost Apocalypse for Isaac and Blue Baby. And yeah, Sheol is a definite improvement, as is the Satan fight.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
It's funny you mention that track because I think it illustrates one of the stronger points of the original soundtrack. My Innermost Apocalypse includes the overture from the main theme

Right about here.

I really love when artists can form a nice overture that can be carried and revisted throughout the soundtrack. I do agree about Sheol/Satan though.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I never hear the music, because Isaac is a perfect podcast game.

Seriously, it's been 100s of hours. I really don't need to hear the same stuff that long.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Toothache posted:

The only verified ways are the Rosary Bead trinket, which ups the likelihood of an angel room appearing from 40% to 75%, and having one or more key pieces, which raises the likelihood by an unknown amount. It's been theorized that having other 'faith' items and few/no 'sin' items does so as well, but that hasn't been verified AFAIK. The Bible Tract definitely doesn't, it just boosts the spawn rate of eternal hearts.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

TheModernAmerican posted:

What you're looking for is challenges.

I would like more challenges, but the flaw that challenge runs is that builds change while the enemies stay the same. They're actually more like tutorials for different aspects of the game than they are real challenges.

At this point, with dozens and dozens of hours in the game, I have solved a lot of the room layouts because that's what playing as The Lost for an extended period of time teaches you how to do. I know the optimal way to counter most of the rooms I run into during a run. Hard mode doesn't do so much to change how those rooms play out. You just need to play through them slightly more optimally since you're gonna get less health drops.

I would have liked hard mode to have a lot more kinds of champions a lot more often. I like the concept of color-coding them, but I wish them being a certain champion color had more impact on their behavior/movement.

Like I also said, I wish they had more kinds of crazy curses. The thing about the challenge runs is that you have that same dumb thing the whole run. I want there to be a new and stupid curse like nearly every other floor. Like I said, that D10 curse would be hilarious. You'd definitely think pretty hard before attempting to full clear the floor if you knew you could have a real bad time in a big room with 20 flies getting re-rolled into who knows what kind of horrors.

Skaw posted:

I think the Cathedral and Chest have better music in Rebirth, but man I really miss My Innermost Apocalypse for Isaac and Blue Baby. And yeah, Sheol is a definite improvement, as is the Satan fight.

I think the new Chest music is bad. It just feels like is rising and building tension the entire time. It's doing this even when you're just chilling out trying to find the secret rooms. The music in the rest of the game feels a bit more dynamic. I wish the Chest had an alternate track for outside of combat that it could transition to and from.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Skaw posted:

This is the only acceptable Satan fight music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWtpAzbEnc8

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Is anyone else annoyed that they didn't 8-bit-ify or re-animate the Chest win screen? The art style seems a little out of place with the retro aesthetic (Even Epilogue got the retro treatment), and compared to the other end animations that aren't 8-bit (Mega Satan/The Lamb) it looks bad. The flash vectorized brush look is pretty eh

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah the chest cinematics and the endings look like crap, which is unfortunate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

... I like Enmity of the Dark Lord, although I might like this guitar mix more...

Incidentally, the first episode of the Jimquisition I ever watched was the one on Steam and quality control, and the first reaction I had to the video was "Wow, that backing music sounds a lot like Sacrificial." Sure enough, the credits for the video rolled and it credited Danny Baranowsky as the composer. I say this because if Ridiculon did backing music for a video like that, I don't see myself recognizing it.