Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

wooger posted:

Seriously? Reeder is one of those apps that somehow got in early and became famous, despite being very average.
It doesn't even have table stakes features like night mode last I checked.

There are plenty of better RSS readers on both iOS and Android.

It's almost like different people like different apps for different reasons. My app criticisms are based on my needs and use cases; Unread comes close to being better than Reeder on iOS but I like Reeder's existence on OSX as well and like to have the same experience across all of my devices.

I don't give a single poo poo about night node, and would not consider that table stakes at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Well it sure is a good thing you got an iPad then, feel free not to come back

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

What, just because he's making baseless categorical claims rooted in his own anecdotes? What kind of person would argue in poor faith like that?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I've swapped out my N9 a ton because I'm a sperglord retard, but the second of the ones I had had none of the build quality problems and it was a fantastic device.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I've swapped out my N9 a ton because I'm a sperglord retard, but the second of the ones I had had none of the build quality problems and it was a fantastic device.

I've said this before in this thread a time or two. My day one N9 I picked up from Best Buy is just as solid as any of my other Nexus devices, with none of the issues other people have complained about. It's good to be lucky I guess.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

beerinator posted:

I've said this before in this thread a time or two. My day one N9 I picked up from Best Buy is just as solid as any of my other Nexus devices, with none of the issues other people have complained about. It's good to be lucky I guess.

I bought one from Amazon on Black Friday. It's great, I have no problems or complaints about hardware or software.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I'm very pleased with my Nexus 9. I went from a Tegra 3 to the Tegra K1 so it was a big leap.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone use sRGB on their Shield tablet? I find the whites too red. Also is it oscine to make your own color correction preset?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rastor posted:

For RSS I use The Old Reader as my data store and gReader Pro as my app on both phone and tablet and I think it's really nice. The developer updated for Lollipop / material design quickly.
Hey, that's the same combo I use! I can't recommend it enough for straight RSS (i.e. no "magazine-ifying") and it looks good, works great, and works well on a tablet or phone.

I have to say though I agree whole-heartedly with everything smr is saying. The tablet app situation is bad on Android and the Nexus 9 is a poor bearer of the standard (and Nexus devices are the standard bearers, for better or worse). I understand why it is what it is and why that's not great, but it's telling that the best tablet device wasn't the oddball "this is a Nexus because we need to have a developer device for Tegra2/Tegra3/K1/Exynos" but was the Qualcomm Snapdragon 2013 N7. Doesn't change the fact that a person wanting an Android tablet that's up to date has to suffer with a compromised device and SoC which really shouldn't be the case.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

LastInLine posted:

Hey, that's the same combo I use! I can't recommend it enough for straight RSS (i.e. no "magazine-ifying") and it looks good, works great, and works well on a tablet or phone.

I have to say though I agree whole-heartedly with everything smr is saying. The tablet app situation is bad on Android and the Nexus 9 is a poor bearer of the standard (and Nexus devices are the standard bearers, for better or worse). I understand why it is what it is and why that's not great, but it's telling that the best tablet device wasn't the oddball "this is a Nexus because we need to have a developer device for Tegra2/Tegra3/K1/Exynos" but was the Qualcomm Snapdragon 2013 N7. Doesn't change the fact that a person wanting an Android tablet that's up to date has to suffer with a compromised device and SoC which really shouldn't be the case.

No, no, apparently I'm just some douchebag who's supposed to shut up and not talk about his experience with his Android tablet in the loving Android tablet thread and gently caress off to the iPad one instead.

Some of the goons here, man...

I want to like Android tablets. I've owned three. None of them lasted more than a few months due to a variety of issues that affected my use and enjoyment of them. Same thing happened with the N9, and I thought I'd post those thoughts here. Apparently, that offends the hell out of some little babies.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

smr posted:

No, no, apparently I'm just some douchebag who's supposed to shut up and not talk about his experience with his Android tablet in the loving Android tablet thread and gently caress off to the iPad one instead.

Some of the goons here, man...
smr I'm sure everyone is welcome to share their experience both positive and negative. Maybe it's your phrasing and word choice; statements such as

smr posted:

So, bought a Nexus 9 to see if the Android tablet space has remotely caught up to the iPad's like it already has with phones...

That's a resounding "NO".

smr posted:

The app situation, outside of Google's native stuff, is just criminal.

smr posted:

It's marketed as the loving flagship Android tablet, so yes, I'm going to compare it to its competition, which is the goddamned iPad.

Point being that there are NO Android tablets that can compete yet, unlike in the phone space

smr posted:

I just don't think Android, in the tablet realm, is really competing at all yet. If this is the flagship, and Google is sure as hell saying it is, it's not there yet.
can come off as a bit inflammatory and therefore likely to provoke a vigorous response.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Not that I'm planning on it any time soon, I quite like my 2013 N7, but were I to want to upgrade to something better, but of a similar size (so the Nexus 9 isn't really an option), what would be my best choice among the Android tablets? Aside from "wait for Google to come to their senses and release a 2015 N7", I guess.)

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

docbeard posted:

Not that I'm planning on it any time soon, I quite like my 2013 N7, but were I to want to upgrade to something better, but of a similar size (so the Nexus 9 isn't really an option), what would be my best choice among the Android tablets? Aside from "wait for Google to come to their senses and release a 2015 N7", I guess.)

At the current rate, if Google releases a Nexus 7 in 2015, it'll be a phone.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 28, 2019

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

GregNorc posted:

Do you run into issues with bandwidth caps? I have comcast and IIRC there's a 250GB limit.

Comcast hasn't had a cap since 2012, although they have been testing options in various markets and are expected to reintroduce them at some point.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Maneki Neko posted:

My 2013 model has been pretty good on 5.01

Any idea how the 2012 wireless N7s are doing with the patches? I figured I'd find something on the usual sites but oddly enough I haven't. And I don't want to change having to reflash again.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nostratic posted:

Any idea how the 2012 wireless N7s are doing with the patches? I figured I'd find something on the usual sites but oddly enough I haven't. And I don't want to change having to reflash again.
My brother's is unusable garbage, we're going to put it back on 4.4 and see if it helps.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Nostratic posted:

Any idea how the 2012 wireless N7s are doing with the patches?

LTE doesn't have Lollipop yet.

Wi-Fi was unbearable on 5.0.0, and is about where it always was chug-wise on 5.0.2, but you might have to factory reset it after the update to get it that way.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Yeah, 5.0.0 was awful, and it sounds like 5.0.2 isn't much better. Guess I'll hang on to KK for a bit longer.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Oops, I posted in the recommend me a tablet thread, but I kind of know what I want -

I'm in the mobile games business and need an Android tablet for when I meet with Google. How's the nVidia Shield? It will mainly just be used for reading, presentations, and testing games on. Does the PC streaming poo poo work even with a GTX 650? How's the cloud stuff?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Comrade Flynn posted:

Oops, I posted in the recommend me a tablet thread, but I kind of know what I want -

I'm in the mobile games business and need an Android tablet for when I meet with Google. How's the nVidia Shield? It will mainly just be used for reading, presentations, and testing games on. Does the PC streaming poo poo work even with a GTX 650? How's the cloud stuff?

The streaming works great. The cloud gaming is surprisingly playable on the Shield portable. I'm using a GTX 660 and running a little bit of everything with no issues.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Nostratic posted:

Yeah, 5.0.0 was awful, and it sounds like 5.0.2 isn't much better. Guess I'll hang on to KK for a bit longer.

I let my 2012 Nexus 7 update itself to 5.0.2. It went perfectly smoothly, and so far my only real complaint is that they got rid of the "clear all notifications" button for some insane reason.

Now, I admit this thing doesn't exactly see heavy use. 99% of the time it's an ebook reader or an alarm clock. But still, I haven't noticed any wifi troubles or anything like that.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Powered Descent posted:

It went perfectly smoothly, and so far my only real complaint is that they got rid of the "clear all notifications" button for some insane reason.

There should be a stairs looking icon on the lower right of the notifications shade for clearing all.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

DemonMage posted:

There should be a stairs looking icon on the lower right of the notifications shade for clearing all.

Huh, so there is. I could have sworn that wasn't there last night, and when I googled it I found a lot of people complaining about its absence. Searching more now, it apparently got put back in a while ago in its new location. I guess I was just really used to looking for that button up on top. v:shobon:v

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

The streaming works great. The cloud gaming is surprisingly playable on the Shield portable. I'm using a GTX 660 and running a little bit of everything with no issues.

Neat. I heard you can expand the memory easily, is that true?

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Comrade Flynn posted:

There's a micro SD slot next to the volume control.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Comrade Flynn posted:

Yes, with one caveat. You have to name the SD card before it is generally readable by file managers. Simple solution, but nvidia never mentions it.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

docbeard posted:

I'm really happy with my Shield. Don't know what the state of things will be when you're ready to upgrade, but if you were to do it tomorrow I'd highly recommend checking out the shield. Best part so far for me is using it as a cable box for my garage tv. For the last year I've only had OTA channels, now I get cable just by using the mini hdmi output. It's also much quicker than my 2012 N7, has LTE access, and is drat near stock android as far as I can tell. There are a few built in apps, but they mostly pertain to the tablet's specific functionality (such as console mode or LTE coverage) rather than just bloatware.

The form factor is nice as well. Doesn't feel a whole lot larger than my N7 and is nicer to read on if you're into eBooks.

Nostratic posted:

My 2012 updated last week and it's at least usable again. Doesn't feel quite as quick and snappy as it used to, but I have begun using it on a daily basis again. Haven't tried much streaming or anything though, mostly just basic internet browsing.

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 19, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Inspector 34 posted:

has LTE access

If LTE access is a priority doesn't the Shield have the same crappy bolt on modem that the Nexus 9 has because of the retarded SOC?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
No clue, but it works well enough for me. Didn't particularly care about mobile internet when I got the thing, since most places have WiFi, but now that I have the option of a decent lte connection when WiFi is either lovely or unavailable I kind of like it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Just got 5.0.2 on my 2013 N7.

Now let's see if it goes back to being able to keep more browser tabs loaded than an iPad.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dissss posted:

Just got 5.0.2 on my 2013 N7.

Now let's see if it goes back to being able to keep more browser tabs loaded than an iPad.
Considering the fix for that isn't in 5.0.2 I'd be surprised.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Three Olives posted:

If LTE access is a priority doesn't the Shield have the same crappy bolt on modem that the Nexus 9 has because of the retarded SOC?
The Shield's SoC is completely different from the N9's other than its name.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

The Shield's SoC is completely different from the N9's other than its name.

I know but none of the NVidia SOC supports native LTE, do they?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

I know but none of the NVidia SOC supports native LTE, do they?

Nothing I see from Nvidia or any other architecture overview article says that it has LTE built in. The Shield SoC though is 4+1 A15 core design where as the Nexus 9 is dual core.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

SlayVus posted:

the Nexus 9 is dual core.

In 2015. Seriously.

Okay, fine, I'll get on the "gently caress the Nexus 9" bandwagon.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Sir Unimaginative posted:

In 2015. Seriously.

It's not so much that the Nexus 9 is dual core, it's that it's SOC is a loving trainwreck that will almost certainly be abandoned shortly because WTF?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Sir Unimaginative posted:

In 2015. Seriously.

But oh, what cores they are!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Three Olives posted:

It's not so much that the Nexus 9 is dual core, it's that it's SOC is a loving trainwreck that will almost certainly be abandoned shortly because WTF?
This is exactly right. Dual core is fine, this particular set of cores is just bad.

Of course if Nvidia has a hand in it, you know that's the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Nexus 7 2013 5.0.2 report:

It's turned my unstable KitKat into a stable machine, very happy. I get an occasional redraw every few hours, but besides that I couldn't be happier.

e: That said I think my battery life might be a little shorter? It's hard to tell at this point.

Hace fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 21, 2015