Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DonDoodles posted:

It's amazing how many people -- even with the nullifier in place -- continue to bitch and moan about the disco balls.

Their 6 year old Dell shitboxes have trouble rendering them even on low settings.

But that's your fault you see, not theirs. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The hilarity of that argument is that you can't even see half of that poo poo if you turn your graphic settings all the way down.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

And if you turn your graphics settings to minimum, boobs clip through shirts, so why aren't pubbies always doing that?

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?
So I've gotten to 52 and wondering what the best way getting a new ship is.

Should i join a fleet and grind out fleet marks or is there some other progression.

Or do i just spend 30$ and buy a ship?

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

ohsosad posted:

So I've gotten to 52 and wondering what the best way getting a new ship is.

Should i join a fleet and grind out fleet marks or is there some other progression.

Or do i just spend 30$ and buy a ship?

Do not under any circumstances spend real life money on this game.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

T6 fleet ships should be arriving in a couple months. If you're hurting for an endgame ship before that, ask in channel for some advice and get a T5 fleet ship and upgrade it to T5U. Or a cheap lockbox ship if you can find one. Don't drop real money on the T6 ships, especially with the way the game has been going lately. Don't encourage their lovely decisions.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
The issue with getting a Fleet-grade ship is a fleet that can get you a 'good' ship won't have means to turn in marks.

Other than that you either spend the money direct, or convert Dilithium to Zen and get a ship that way(Which in itself will take a long, long while). Either/or.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

There's ways around that. There's no harm in dumping Dental for a bit to go into someone's farming fleet, or some pub fleet, or what have you to dump marks. Heck, it benefits them and benefits you so it's a net plus for everyone invovled anyway.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Two years ago today, Butts ascended from STO to carry Dear Leader's message of love and joy beyond the digital realm. 1/19/13 never forget.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

Preechr posted:

Two years ago today, Butts ascended from STO to carry Dear Leader's message of love and joy beyond the digital realm. 1/19/13 never forget.

:911:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Preechr posted:

:ussr:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Also, some observations from grinding today while the XP boost was still going.
  • The ferengi rapid-fire missile launcher doesn't work with the sheshar ship trait (get a second HYT1 after using HYT). I suspect this is because it takes around two seconds for the next HYT to queue up, but the missile launcher's fired again in the interim so it thinks it's already been used. This bug is so niche and obscure I'm pretty much the only one to even notice it and I can guarantee it will never be fixed during the game's lifespan, barring some massive revamp in how torpedoes function.
  • The voth wide-angle chroniton torpedo can't be upgraded and sits at Mk Infinity forever. I suspect Cryptic has forgotten it even exists. :geno:
  • Having ground out fifteen spec points by doing patrols... if Cryptic or PWE expects this to be a meaningful method of endgame progression they are loving insane. I only managed that much by doing it over three days, varying the patrol mission every so often (Argala, Garren, etc), and playing podcasts in the background. Realizing that the next fifteen points it would take to finish off the Commando tree once it launches would take twice as long since I'd be getting half the XP pretty much makes me want to throw my hands up. If they wanted to drag it out over weeks or months they should have let you earn points easily but limit the amount per day, sort of like how the rep system works. This is massively regressive and clearly PWE forcing groggish old MMO bullshit.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's still nothing like the grind in actual Perfect World the MMO. That's horrific. I imagine some Chinese designer shouting over the others saying "progress to fast! slow down! sell more xp boosters!".

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Asimo posted:

Also, some observations from grinding today while the XP boost was still going.
  • The ferengi rapid-fire missile launcher doesn't work with the sheshar ship trait (get a second HYT1 after using HYT). I suspect this is because it takes around two seconds for the next HYT to queue up, but the missile launcher's fired again in the interim so it thinks it's already been used. This bug is so niche and obscure I'm pretty much the only one to even notice it and I can guarantee it will never be fixed during the game's lifespan, barring some massive revamp in how torpedoes function.
  • The voth wide-angle chroniton torpedo can't be upgraded and sits at Mk Infinity forever. I suspect Cryptic has forgotten it even exists. :geno:
  • Having ground out fifteen spec points by doing patrols... if Cryptic or PWE expects this to be a meaningful method of endgame progression they are loving insane. I only managed that much by doing it over three days, varying the patrol mission every so often (Argala, Garren, etc), and playing podcasts in the background. Realizing that the next fifteen points it would take to finish off the Commando tree once it launches would take twice as long since I'd be getting half the XP pretty much makes me want to throw my hands up. If they wanted to drag it out over weeks or months they should have let you earn points easily but limit the amount per day, sort of like how the rep system works. This is massively regressive and clearly PWE forcing groggish old MMO bullshit.

Yup, I managed to get in 21 spec points during the event from patrols, and the only thing that kept me going was the sure knowledge that there was no way in hell whatsoever I would do this poo poo again for half the XP.

I need 4 more spec points to have 15 in reserve for the commander space things, and I will get them from doffing and other poo poo in the couple weeks before it launches.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

DancingShade posted:

It's still nothing like the grind in actual Perfect World the MMO. That's horrific. I imagine some Chinese designer shouting over the others saying "progress to fast! slow down! sell more xp boosters!".

One of the things that makes it such a poo poo show in this game is that they don't actually even sell xp boosters.

I think it's like 1000z for a 10k xp boost. I dont think they've sold many of them. 150$ per 1 extra spec point per 5 you grind. There is literally zero demand at that price.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

They even increased the size of the XP boosts by, what, 50%? For a week? Before returning them to the previous size. I'd love to know what, if any, thought process was behind that.

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.

FuturePastNow posted:

They even increased the size of the XP boosts by, what, 50%? For a week? Before returning them to the previous size. I'd love to know what, if any, thought process was behind that.

Honestly after coming back and seeing the utter clusterfuck that has become of this game, I doubt they even know what their thought processes are at this point. I want to try to come back, but a part of me is screaming, "gently caress it, sever!" I just think of two ships full of weapons that have to be upgraded, not to mention my ground equipment. As a proud casual that will never take an online game seriously, I really don't think I have the effort. I log in and I want my fun now, not in twenty hours.

Hey Asimo, thanks for staying on top of these issues and very clearly and concisely stating what the real issues of this game are, it has been appreciated.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

Preechr posted:

Then Dear Leader sent him back after Butts' 2-year training session.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

NurhacisUrn posted:

Honestly after coming back and seeing the utter clusterfuck that has become of this game, I doubt they even know what their thought processes are at this point. I want to try to come back, but a part of me is screaming, "gently caress it, sever!" I just think of two ships full of weapons that have to be upgraded, not to mention my ground equipment. As a proud casual that will never take an online game seriously, I really don't think I have the effort. I log in and I want my fun now, not in twenty hours.

Hey Asimo, thanks for staying on top of these issues and very clearly and concisely stating what the real issues of this game are, it has been appreciated.
Listen to that screaming part of you. The game's still playable for people who already had a bunch of high-end gear and lots of saved up currencies, but it would be horrible for someone starting without that.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

NurhacisUrn posted:

You could always troll people. Fun 24/7 and you get to spread the fear of Starfleet Dental!

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

BombermanX posted:

You could always troll people. Fun 24/7 and you get to spread the fear of Starfleet Dental!

I feel a groundswell in my heart, a calling if you will. Something tugs at the strings of my soul, something calls me to testify and bring the same level of joy and happiness STO has brought me to the denizens of the galaxy.

Is it...? Yes. Yes it is. The enthralling, engulfing, emulsion of Butts on my heart. Praise to Butts for calling on me to Renew.

g0del posted:

Listen to that screaming part of you. The game's still playable for people who already had a bunch of high-end gear and lots of saved up currencies, but it would be horrible for someone starting without that.

Alright, so since I had a fairly well geared Fleet Defiant I won't get poo poo on by the content? I want to do well enough in STFs to give the pubs hope then AFK for nachos and beer.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

NurhacisUrn posted:

I feel a groundswell in my heart, a calling if you will. Something tugs at the strings of my soul, something calls me to testify and bring the same level of joy and happiness STO has brought me to the denizens of the galaxy.

Is it...? Yes. Yes it is. The enthralling, engulfing, emulsion of Butts on my heart. Praise to Butts for calling on me to Renew.

Alright, so since I had a fairly well geared Fleet Defiant I won't get poo poo on by the content? I want to do well enough in STFs to give the pubs hope then AFK for nachos and beer.

The game isn't actually harder. The elite stfs just aren't really worth pugging anymore. PVE is still hilariously easy.

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

Acer Pilot posted:

The game isn't actually harder. The elite stfs just aren't really worth pugging anymore. PVE is still hilariously easy.

Ah okay. Good deal. I honestly figured the only truly hard part would be me getting tired of watching the healthmeter of the new damage sink enemies never drop, so I get bored and just stop playing.

Plenty of tears to be had then. Pubbie tears, the only endgame currency that always matters, never depreciates, and can always be deposited into the fleet bank.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Acer Pilot posted:

With the commando spec and TR-116s being dirt cheap now pretty much all the ground elite queues are laughably easy for even the most barely competent PUG. That still means its probably 50/50 success rate because STO players.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9061313

"The Romulan Featured Episode portion of the series, beginning with The Vault and ending with the Darkness Before the Dawn, remains unchanged. But the other fourteen episodes have been distilled down into four episodes, completely reworked to flow more neatly together and lead into the Featured Episode series."

gently caress yo leveling

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Those missions gave poo poo xp anyways and it's not like getting to 50 is the problem. Post 50 you can still get more xp faster just running the drat Delta patrols. The real issue is that those loving patrols are the only content that give decent xp and they are boring as gently caress.

Getting to 50 only takes 366k skill points that's enough for about 2.3 spec points.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Acer Pilot posted:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9061313

"The Romulan Featured Episode portion of the series, beginning with The Vault and ending with the Darkness Before the Dawn, remains unchanged. But the other fourteen episodes have been distilled down into four episodes, completely reworked to flow more neatly together and lead into the Featured Episode series."

gently caress yo leveling

Having just run Mirror Inaji up through the missions to 50 post-DR I hit 50 somewhere around the first or second Cardassian mission iirc. They yank the rug out from you after 50 so you get 1/3 the rewards (I think they 'fixed' this by giving the same rewards but increasing exp needed to level)

How having ten less missions effects progression I'm not sure. The bottleneck is still after 50 for reasons I don't understand as you have to indefinitely grind spec points after 60 so why is the delta content still gated in such a way?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

i've always just doffed my way up so i guess i don't know enough about leveling

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Asimo posted:

If they wanted to drag it out over weeks or months they should have let you earn points easily but limit the amount per day

Ever since it was introduced I always assumed it was a "this will take literal years" type system and thought people complaining about the time to complete were maybe not understanding the system. Much less of a "grind this tedious thing as fast as possible" and more of a fix to the fact that once you hit fifty and had gear may as well roll another cause playing your main is pointless. Something to give people a reason to stick with the main but never meant to be completed not just in a timely basis, but really at all. A carrot on the treadmill attached to a really, really long stick.

Unlike rep or crafting, which although time consuming, meant to actually be completed at some point.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
^^^Except they are about to add 30 more points you need to get only a few months after DR came out, so they clearly expected some people to be able to get it. And more importantly, they locked intelligence/command abilities behind the specialization grind.

Berke Negri posted:

Having just run Mirror Inaji up through the missions to 50 post-DR I hit 50 somewhere around the first or second Cardassian mission iirc. They yank the rug out from you after 50 so you get 1/3 the rewards (I think they 'fixed' this by giving the same rewards but increasing exp needed to level)
Yes, this was why they 'fixed' XP by tripling the amount needed to level after 60, and tripling the amount given as reward for DR missions/patrols. They conveniently forgot to triple the XP given by doffing and killing things. The explanation that having one mission give differing amounts of XP depending on what level you were when you ran it was confusing and needed to be fixed almost made sense - except they never actually explained why the XP rewarded per mission had to go down as you leveled up.

g0del fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 20, 2015

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
See that's where I suppose it's a difference in playing philosophy, never felt like I "needed" any of it so I'm in no rush to grind that poo poo out. Best way I can put it, I see it as a return to what was said in the beta about not stopping when you hit max level, you would still gain xp to spend on skill points, but anything above what you got at 60 was just cherries on top of the poo poo sundae.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, are there any fun activities in this game which reward decent spec points/XP? It seems to me you basically have to doff or grind Argala.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Also, are there any fun activities in this game which reward decent spec points/XP? It seems to me you basically have to doff or grind Argala.
Nope.

Technically queues and story quests and kills and doffs award it too, but it's such a meaningless trickle it would take days of fairly regular play to even get a single point. Patrols or nothing.

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Ever since it was introduced I always assumed it was a "this will take literal years" type system and thought people complaining about the time to complete were maybe not understanding the system. Much less of a "grind this tedious thing as fast as possible" and more of a fix to the fact that once you hit fifty and had gear may as well roll another cause playing your main is pointless. Something to give people a reason to stick with the main but never meant to be completed not just in a timely basis, but really at all. A carrot on the treadmill attached to a really, really long stick.

Unlike rep or crafting, which although time consuming, meant to actually be completed at some point.
The problem is that it's obviously supposed to take a long time, but there's nothing to gate it off. If someone wanted to sit down and grind out 60 (soon 90) spec points in a single sitting there's nothing to stop them beyond the fact it would be a solid week of abject tedium. There's nothing to let people pace themselves; in practice, seeing the nearly endless grind stretching ahead of most players is an active turn off. And that's not even considering the percentage of players with issues with managing their playtimes responsibly. It's disheartening and discouraging, and triply so when the only way to raise it is so tedious. Compare it to reputations on the other hand. They're still time gated, but it's a predictable and steady rate . There's nothing stopping people from farming up the marks all at once, but they'll still have to wait to use them so there's encouragement to take it easy and take time with it. And the actual day-to-day requirements are remarkably simple, five minutes or less per reputation. It's basically the exact opposite of the specialization system.

And as noted already, it's not even something you can ignore. Someone with 30 points in a primary spec and 15 in the relevant secondary is dramatically more capable than someone without it. And a lot of the "toys" are locked behind high ranks in the primary specializations.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

BombermanX fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 20, 2015

bubbles depo
Jul 25, 2006

doot doot!

Sadly I was just a cat.

Sadly I was just a cat.

Sadly I was just a cat.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Him name Oberon clone droid.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Asimo posted:

Nope.

Technically queues and story quests and kills and doffs award it too, but it's such a meaningless trickle it would take days of fairly regular play to even get a single point. Patrols or nothing.

Hmm. How's empire defense compared to, say, argala? Obviously empire defense has the dil advantage.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm thinking about reinstalling to check out that Romulan content but just one thing: is the Legacy pack the only way to get the TOS Romulan uniforms? I really want a matching set for TOS awesomeness but the hell I'm gonna pay $130 (or even $1.30) for it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

McSpanky posted:

I'm thinking about reinstalling to check out that Romulan content but just one thing: is the Legacy pack the only way to get the TOS Romulan uniforms? I really want a matching set for TOS awesomeness but the hell I'm gonna pay $130 (or even $1.30) for it.

Nah, the TOS romulan uniform is 500 Zen on the store, which translates to about... 75000 dilithium ingame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

500 zen is about, oh, four or five days of dil conversion if you're turning in on 3 characters, depending what the rate is

• Locked thread