Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doos
Jan 1, 2015

I'm thankful that Can Town will continue to prosper under The Mayor's guidance and vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Absum posted:

So if they're just sleeping does that mean Jane is going to revive Roxy and we'll have two? Also why are they surprised at Vriska being there if she never died? Jade should know she was on the meteor because she looked at them before they took off?

Well, assuming this whole thing escaped the eye of Lord English, if Jade and Jane both were getting an information feed from )(IC they both "knew" Vriska was dead.

For some reason I think both Rose and Roxy are going to get prototyped. Assuming less clown shenanigans, which is always a tough thing to assume.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Nate RFB posted:

I don't know why it never occurred to me that Vriska could just put them to sleep. It's been too long since she used those powers, I figured she was going just sort of clobber them with shenanigans.

Anyway presumably something will happen to Roxy's body to prevent her from being revived, like the body getting destroyed. Or they could just not bother.

Well assuming the same thing happens as when Aranea tried putting Jane to sleep the fight will continue until they get the tiara top off her. That might allow for something to happen to the corpse.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

CJacobs posted:

I do enjoy that the one time people were actually hoping for Hussie to do a bigass fakeout where none of the preceding leadup pages mattered, it turned out to not be one. The man works in mysterious and sometimes kinda annoying ways.

Perhaps... not having a fakeout lovely twist... was the greatest fakeout lovely twist of all...

efb

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 19, 2015

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

You know, Vriska really only interacted with John among the humans. I'd be curious to see how her personality interacted with the others.

- Dave and Vriska talking would be an exercise in frustration for Vriska, I think. When Dave doesn't like a conversation, he just leaves. In person, I imagine he'd just sorta walk off a lot. And 'not engaging' is basically the worst thing you can do to (undeveloped) Vriska. Look how much unemotional ghost Aradia pissed her off.
- Rose and Vriska would be weird, because Vriska is smart enough to pick up on Rose's snarkiness (something Tavros and Eridan failed to do) but doesn't enjoy that sort of thing the way Kanaya does. I have no idea what Rose's reaction to Vriska's in-your-face attitude would be.
- Jade and Vriska would also be weird, because they've got a same-but-different thing going on. Both Vriska and Jade are willing to think things through and do unconventional things to get the job done, but their motives are completely different. And unlike Dave and Rose, Jade is willing to tell people to their face when they piss her off.

The Alpha kids and Vriska is left as an exercise to the reader.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
I can't believe we only have two more Act Act Acts, one more Act Act Intermission, and one final overall Act before this grand quest of thrills and intrigue finally comes to a close in another five years.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Oxyclean posted:

I read this as "Vriska is going to end up on everything" and just imagined the last part of Brodyquest, but with Vriska (appearing on everything.) I wouldn't put it past Vriska to do something like that either.

Thanks for reminding me that this exists.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Bobulus posted:

- Dave and Vriska talking would be an exercise in frustration for Vriska, I think. When Dave doesn't like a conversation, he just leaves. In person, I imagine he'd just sorta walk off a lot. And 'not engaging' is basically the worst thing you can do to (undeveloped) Vriska. Look how much unemotional ghost Aradia pissed her off.

The obvious result of this is that she starts bullying the Mayor and/or generally terrorising can town. From there I can maybe see them ending up in a silly half-fake rivalry/blood feud deal, sort of like what she had going on with Eridan except not murderously pathetic (because Dave is chill and couldn't harbour a one sided hatecrush if he tried)

I can't see them not interacting at all, because Dave's relationship with the Mayor is too precious for her to not try to gently caress with.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
I can't stop associating the phrase "he/she's back" with that one track from Madworld

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC6vcsdd7LY

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Renaissance Robot posted:

The obvious result of this is that she starts bullying the Mayor and/or generally terrorising can town. From there I can maybe see them ending up in a silly half-fake rivalry/blood feud deal, sort of like what she had going on with Eridan except not murderously pathetic (because Dave is chill and couldn't harbour a one sided hatecrush if he tried)

I can't see them not interacting at all, because Dave's relationship with the Mayor is too precious for her to not try to gently caress with.

Except that Vriska will love the Mayor because everybody loves the Mayor.

More likely she, Dave, and Karkat are in a blood feud as they fight over his attention.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Uuh, didn't the meteor crew have a problem with how to actually stop the meteor? Jade solved it originally, but now...

Is the first post-pause update going to be them crashing directly into a planet and dying?

Also the new Paradox Space seems promising.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 19, 2015

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Rand Brittain posted:

Except that Vriska will love the Mayor because everybody loves the Mayor.

I didn't say she wouldn't. Not-ghost Vriska is horrible at displaying affection though.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

As other people said before, Vriska has gone through a growth arc at least twice now with no lasting consequences whatsoever, and I am dead tired of her. Her character is a sickly, rotting thing that needs to be taken behind the shed and have its brains blown off.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Weird how everyone who hates Vriska thinks "shuffling quietly out of the story and into the afterlife" was some terrific and satisfactory final arc for the character.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The one crucial difference is that this is the only time Vriska's had her plot-central superstardom forced on her, instead of actively seeking it out to the embarrassment of herself and everyone else. That might change her attitude a little, who knows.

One thing's for sure, she's one of the very few characters left in this sludgy mess of a story with any loving initiative, and I'll take her over the Alpha Kids ten thousand times after what we suffered through with them.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I mantain that the Alpha Kids are cool, if not quite as cool as their Beta counterparts. I'd gladly see more of them over more Vriska.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Christ can you even imagine trickster Vriska :psypop:

KoB
May 1, 2009

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

All of Act 6 has been worth it to bring Vriska back. The best trolls, and humans, together again for the first time.

And also Vriska.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

ThaumPenguin posted:

Uuh, didn't the meteor crew have a problem with how to actually stop the meteor? Jade solved it originally, but now...

Is the first post-pause update going to be them crashing directly into a planet and dying?

We know what they do after this. With Jade 'missing', all the Batterwitch's plans are derailed, so the kids have time stage a jailbreak for Roxy.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Bobulus posted:

We know what they do after this. With Jade 'missing', all the Batterwitch's plans are derailed, so the kids have time stage a jailbreak for Roxy.

Good point.

But seriously, how are they going to stop the meteor.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 19, 2015

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

I can't believe we only have two more Act Act Acts, one more Act Act Intermission, and one final overall Act before this grand quest of thrills and intrigue finally comes to a close in another five years.
Act 6 Act 6 Act 6 Act 1. You know it's going to happen, even if it only lasts half a page.

Speaking of half a page, I wonder if they still let Gamzee keep the troll corpses this time.

ThaumPenguin posted:

Good point.

But seriously, how are they going to stop the meteor.
At least three of them can fly to safety, and probably carry the ones who can't.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

paradoxGentleman posted:

As other people said before, Vriska has gone through a growth arc at least twice now with no lasting consequences whatsoever, and I am dead tired of her. Her character is a sickly, rotting thing that needs to be taken behind the shed and have its brains blown off.

What kind of garbage opinion is this? What kind of insane person would think this, why-

paradoxGentleman posted:

I mantain that the Alpha Kids are cool, if not quite as cool as their Beta counterparts. I'd gladly see more of them over more Vriska.

Ah, okay, that explains it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Quantum Toast posted:

At least three of them can fly to safety, and probably carry the ones who can't.

Also Rose isn't drunk anymore so she can probably pick just the right moment to jump off into space and doof gracefully down by the slab of the jaded fool's ennui or wherever they land on LOMAX.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
The way I always interpreted it is that if Vriska had actually stayed alive, her development from talking to John would have had a chance to stick, but she died and being the dreambubbles undid everything. Now she got to stay alive, so who knows how she turned out.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Prison Warden posted:

What kind of garbage opinion is this? What kind of insane person would think this, why-

Ah, okay, that explains it.
I know you're being facetious, but I seriously think that Vriska isn't all that great; she's an amoral character, of the kind that makes you wish that they would just stop loving things up for everyone else instead of snickering at their antics; a teenager with the power to do incredible amounts of damage. On top of that she just isn't fun to read about : I end up sympathizing for her victims more often than not.

I was on my way towards liking her when she was alive and it seemed like John was having a positive effect on her, but then she died, and thousands of pages later, we find her in the dreambubbles, not having learned anything and still being as self-centered and damaging as ever.

I ask you this: why am I supposed to like her? Because I'm clearly missing something here, since she is, if not the most popular troll, at least one of the most popular ones.

e:

Fortis posted:

The way I always interpreted it is that if Vriska had actually stayed alive, her development from talking to John would have had a chance to stick, but she died and being the dreambubbles undid everything. Now she got to stay alive, so who knows how she turned out.
Yeah, giving her offstage character development while on the three year long meteor trip is what I'd consider the best way to go with her character now. It's not optimal, but giving her a third chance was not optimal, so we've got to take what we can get.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 19, 2015

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

I seriously think that Vriska isn't all that great

what

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
This poo poo is exactly why Vriska is the best character. So divisive :swoon:

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~
How can anyone not like Vriska, the story can only get better now that she's finally in the plot again. I hope we get to see some of the changes that happened. For example, Vriska strikes me as exactly the sort of person to call Rose out on her drinking especially since no one else on the meteor was going to do it.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

paradoxGentleman posted:

I know you're being facetious, but I seriously think that Vriska isn't all that great; she's an amoral character, of the kind that makes you wish that they would just stop loving things up for everyone else instead of snickering at their antics; a teenager with the power to do incredible amounts of damage. On top of that she just isn't fun to read about : I end up sympathizing for her victims more often than not.

I was on my way towards liking her when she was alive and it seemed like John was having a positive effect on her, but then she died, and thousands of pages later, we find her in the dreambubbles, not having learned anything and still being as self-centered and damaging as ever.

I ask you this: why am I supposed to like her? Because I'm clearly missing something here, since she is, if not the most popular troll, at least one of the most popular ones.

I'd say Karkat is the most popular troll, if only because when we heard his rant everyone was pretty much in agreement that it ruled.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996

Renaissance Robot posted:

This poo poo is exactly why Vriska is the best character. So divisive :swoon:

vriskas very polarizing. she evokes an emotion.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Classtoise posted:

I'd say Karkat is the most popular troll, if only because when we heard his rant everyone was pretty much in agreement that it ruled.

Karkat's tiny frame has single-handedly supported this comic for years now. He is our rock.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Supercar Gautier posted:

Weird how everyone who hates Vriska thinks "shuffling quietly out of the story and into the afterlife" was some terrific and satisfactory final arc for the character.

Well she's had around 3 satisfying and logical ends to her character thus far.

1. She got killed by her ex best friend because she was so assured that her fighting the evil demon who destroyed their session would result in no dire consequences whatsoever. Her huge ego which caused her to create the demon itself in order for her own defeat of him to be more dramatic was her undoing because she was so confident nothing horrible could occur with her plan even though any idiot could see that it was a horrible brash idea, and so she was killed by a seer who understood that if she tried to complete her plan everyone else would die. Her ego was her biggest flaw and it resulted in her death so that's pretty appropriate and then she had that scene with ghost John and that was nice.
  2. Everyone in her pirate crew leaves her because she's a huge rear end in a top hat who sees no problem with killing hundreds of people for her own self-satisfaction. Even the one person who in the past had tried to understand her after she had killed one of her friends for barely any reason tells her she's crazy and dangerous. She then gives a huge speech about how she's the good guy really, and that this plan wasn't just to stroke her ego at all, except nobody is listening to her because the only people still there are Aranea, who has her own plans, Meenah, who just wants to hang with her friends, and Aradia, who just wants to be around when everything inevitably goes to poo poo. It's an appropriate end because it shows Vriska never changes and always repeats her mistakes, even after a millenia in the ghost zone she's still as self-centered as ever and alienates her friends the same way.
  3. She gets a reality check due to Aranea loving things up in the same way she would and gets a new role model in Meenah. Who shows her that she doesn't need to be in the middle of everything in order to be self-confident and still a badass. She's still kind of a horrible person and sociopath but she's become more self-assured of just acting like herself and not having to live up to her incredibly childish fantasies of her ancestor, even if she is trying too hard to be like Meenah. It deals with her major flaws, her ego and need to be the centre of everything, and largely resolves them. She's still got an ego and still a bad person and awful sociopath, but a healthier sociopath now. It's a logical end that deals with her flaws and results in basically the only character growth she has ever recieved, so as an end it makes sense.

And now she needs a 4th end and I can't help but think she'll just pull a Tavros where she just gets the exact same development again but from a slightly different direction except now it is much more uninteresting because it has already happened.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Karkat should have stayed dead because he had a satisfying logical conclusion to his character when he pacified Gamzee.

Dave should have stayed dead because he had a satisfying logical conclusion to his character when he helped detonate the Tumor.

These are things that no one says, why is it only Vriska that makes people have a difficult time conceiving that the story is, like, ongoing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

paranoid randroid posted:

Karkat should have stayed dead because he had a satisfying logical conclusion to his character when he pacified Gamzee.

Dave should have stayed dead because he had a satisfying logical conclusion to his character when he helped detonate the Tumor.

But Karkat and Dave didn't die when those things happened. Well Dave did but he was on a quest crypt, so it didn't count.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

paranoid randroid posted:

These are things that no one says, why is it only Vriska that makes people have a difficult time conceiving that the story is, like, ongoing.

Except Dave coming back from the dead (sort of) had him deciding that timetravel was not something he should gently caress around with and he has sworn it off completely despite that being his primary power, and has time and again insisted he's no hero, eventually acting in heroic manner and dying as such.

And Karkat JUST died and we have no loving clue what character development he'll have or ignore.

It's not that she had 3 separate plot roundups. It's that she had 3 separate plot roundups that ended up almost the exact same way and amounted in "But Vriska refused to change"

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Karkat got offed as an object lesson by Robo-Jane.

The point is, every character in the story has pretty much had new issues introduced to replace their old ones - Karkat's treating his friends like time shares, Dave's refusing to do anything, Rose got drunk, Kanaya.... is still boring.

"No one learns their lesson" is hardly a problem unique to Vriska.

e. Except Terezi. She gets credit for pulling her head out of her rear end long enough to do something constructive. Even if she did pretty much die and then stop existing immediately afterwards.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Fortis posted:

It's been a long time, but when she died, didn't she want to go on a human date with John?

How's she gonna feel when she finds out some recovering alcoholic from a not-even-beta timeline beat her to it?

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
Homestuck: It's Like Groundhog Day, But If a Repeating February 2nd Were an Interminable April 13th, and If Bill Murray Were an Alien Teenager with Blue Blood and and a Superiority Complex

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Please let Lord English suplex Vriska sixteen times. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Oh my god I'm arguing about Degrassi With Bugpeople - it really is Vriskatime again.