Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
getting super angry over anything in a video game is pretty stupid, unless your rage is 100% valid, which is pretty rare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Link really is the last character I'd want to play as in a game that let's you play as other Zelda characters for once. I don't self insert myself into his plight as a borderline personality-less mute and I will always put the world and the characters in it above the tool I use to interact with.
I won't deny that Y.Link will probably be fun to play as but as long as the Great Fairy exists I will never stop seeing him as a glorified weapon turned character to get out of having to make two characters for the MM-pack. Just like the two OoT costumes feel like a cop-out. Even Twili Midna should had stayed a second weapon for Midna like she was supposed to in the E3 build. If they hadn't put so much emphasis on the packs covering specific titles then I wouldn't have had my expectations broken.
Being entirely ok with the pack is perfectly fine. But don't try and bash me and call me entitled for not being very happy with it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excels posted:

getting super angry over anything in a video game is pretty stupid, unless your rage is 100% valid, which is pretty rare

Pretty much, yes.

Dastardly posted:

I won't deny that Y.Link will probably be fun to play as but as long as the Great Fairy exists I will never stop seeing him as a glorified weapon turned character to get out of having to make two characters for the MM-pack.

How precisely does this make sense? Every single character is a weapon. That is how the moveset thing works. The only real difference is who the weapon is tied to (and even that isn't particularly important except for animations, see the infamous glitch.) Literally the way the characters work is that every weapon is its own distinct character. There is not actually any less work put into a Young Link than there would be for a Majora since he needs a new model anyway.

There is no difference between characters. Characters can't equip other character's weapons. The difference between a new character and a new weapon is only that a new weapon reuses the character model/skin with a new animation set.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 19, 2015

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty much, yes.

How precisely does this make sense? Every single character is a weapon. That is how the moveset thing works. The only real difference is who the weapon is tied to (and even that isn't particularly important except for animations, see the infamous glitch.)

It means 3 tabs of badges you have to grind materials for and absolutely no incentives for the character to be used on the new adventure map. I've barely touched Twili Midna because I simply don't have a reason to give her the exp when I need all the levels I can get to finish the TP map.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dastardly posted:

It means 3 tabs of badges you have to grind materials for and absolutely no incentives for the character to be used on the new adventure map.

I presume that he'll unlock his new weapons (probably the Razor and Gilded Swords) on the new map and probably will have a costume or two.

Also like, what do you think happened here? You're saying they did it to 'get out of making two characters' as if they were fulfilling a Kickstarter pledge or something. When they announced two characters for the Majora's pack they almost certainly knew who the characters were in advance.

I mean Christ, this isn't even the first time they did this. Twilight Princess's extra character was Midna's human form.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

new characters/weapons always come with their T2/T3 weapons unlocked, the three villains didn't because they wanted people to buy the second adventure map.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excels posted:

new characters/weapons always come with their T2/T3 weapons unlocked, the three villains didn't because they wanted people to buy the second adventure map.

Fair enough. He'll presumably still have other unlockables on the map and also, y'know, you can play a character because they have a fun combat style or mechanics.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

ImpAtom posted:

Fair enough. He'll presumably still have other unlockables on the map and also, y'know, you can play a character because they have a fun combat style or mechanics.

Twili Midna had zero unlockables on the TP map because they offered her separately in Japan, from what I understand, so I doubt that trend will be changing.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

how about a patch that applies all the new poo poo (double drops, more enemies onscreen, etc) to the older maps and levels

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excels posted:

how about a patch that applies all the new poo poo (double drops, more enemies onscreen, etc) to the older maps and levels

"I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of BUY THE NEW MAPS AND GIVE US MONEY."

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

ImpAtom posted:

I presume that he'll unlock his new weapons (probably the Razor and Gilded Swords) on the new map and probably will have a costume or two.

Also like, what do you think happened here? You're saying they did it to 'get out of making two characters' as if they were fulfilling a Kickstarter pledge or something. When they announced two characters for the Majora's pack they almost certainly knew who the characters were in advance.
Twili Midna got no recolor and no weapon unlock missions.
It means they're twisting their promises, if you can call it that. The Master pack implies it has to do with the first games and oot's second adventure. It's reasonable to assume that we'd get something related to those two games in the pack. We did get the mq map and we got Epona which is fine I guess. But instead of oot Sheik and Impa costumes which I assumed we'd get. We got two costumes that could arguably just be one, and they were completely unrelated to the pack.
For the second pack they actually gave us what the pack promised. We got a map heavily based on Twilight Princess. We got the titular character, a weapon only seen in TP and two costumes based off of characters from Twilight Princess. I guess it's my fault for assuming that it could only get better but they're once again throwing stuff they didn't want to fit somewhere else into this pack and apparently people are fine with it since if they don't care about the game then I guess it's alright.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dastardly posted:

It means they're twisting their promises, if you can call it that.

They're not 'twisting their promises.' Both the characters they included are from Majora's Mask. Like, Young Link is explicitly the Majora's Mask version and his gimmick is a Majora's Mask exclusive gimmick, and Tingle first appeared in Majora's Mask. You can make an argument for "they should have included Majora's Mask" costumes but like... who would they include who didn't already have costumes? Darunia and Ruto already got MM-inspired costumes in one of the previous packs. Lana got a Skull Kid outfit.

I guess you can argue they should have saved the MM costumes for the MM pack but "they gave us these costumes too early! It isn't fair!" is a bit weird.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 19, 2015

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I dunno, I get what he's saying about Young Link. Seeing as how great fairy and epona qualify as new weapons, there's no reason why Young Link can't be too. I guess you can say the same thing of Twili Midna, but I give it a pass because she shows up for <5 minutes at the very end of Twilight Princess and they were able to completely make up all of her stuff. It's just really boring that in the pack that's supposed to have two new characters, one of them is Link. Again. :geno: I'm sure he'll be fun to play, but I imagine he's probably going to forever remain my lowest leveled character.

Can't wait to see what the new game types in the boss pack are going to be. I guess that's probably gonna be March now, unless they bundle both it and MM together in February.

edit: Gonna run Cia and Tingle in two-player and break the game with the Fairy-Boy Fan Club :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

THE loving MOON posted:

I dunno, I get what he's saying about Young Link. Seeing as how great fairy and epona qualify as new weapons, there's no reason why Young Link can't be too. I guess you can say the same thing of Twili Midna, but I give it a pass because she shows up for <5 minutes at the very end of Twilight Princess and they were able to completely make up all of her stuff. It's just really boring that in the pack that's supposed to have two new characters, one of them is Link. Again. :geno: I'm sure he'll be fun to play, but I imagine he's probably going to forever remain my lowest leveled character.

Can't wait to see what the new game types in the boss pack are going to be. I guess that's probably gonna be March now, unless they bundle both it and MM together in February.

Great Fairy and Epona both reuse the base Link model, if in different ways. As far as we've seen Young Link contains no element of the original Link model. It is literally a completely different character model, even compared to skins which share the same base. (Great Fairy could swap any character out, to be fair, except for stealing Link's sword for an attack.)

I mean by this argument Sheik should be a weapon for Zelda also, and Twilight Midna should be a weapon for Midna and they don't 'count' as characters for some reason.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 19, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

THE loving MOON posted:

The MM pack is still January in Japan and Europe, so the Ganon/Boss pack should still be February, possibly with a late-February/early-March split like we're seeing here with the MM pack.

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine
The game already has two Zeldas and two Midnas.

I always thought the game would have been so much cooler if most of the characters were specific Links from across the timeline(s) with their own unique weaponry and movesets. This is a step in that direction and I appreciate it.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Great Fairy and Epona both reuse the base Link model, if in different ways. As far as we've seen Young Link contains no element of the original Link model. It is literally a completely different character model, even compared to skins which share the same base. (Great Fairy could swap any character out, to be fair, except for stealing Link's sword for an attack.)

I mean by this argument Sheik should be a weapon for Zelda also, and Twilight Midna should be a weapon for Midna and they don't 'count' as characters for some reason.

Yeah I guess, It's still boring though. They had to make totally new models/texture etc. for it, so they could have just as easily done something cooler than More Link.

jivjov posted:

The MM pack is still January in Japan and Europe, so the Ganon/Boss pack should still be February, possibly with a late-February/early-March split like we're seeing here with the MM pack.

Ah, good. I'm hoping for a mode where you can play as bosses like Dodongo or Gohma. :madmax:

edit: Woops, nope. It is March. v:shobon:v http://zelda.com/hyrule-warriors/dlc/

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

i love waiting months for things that are already finished because big business economy :downs:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

One bright spot about Young Link is getting to see the razor sword in glorious HD.

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine

Excels posted:

i love waiting months for things that are already finished because big business economy :downs:

I love having other interests to occupy my time.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

The worst part of the game is that there is zero Wind Waker representation

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Aurora posted:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Aurora posted:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

THE loving MOON posted:

Yeah I guess, It's still boring though. They had to make totally new models/texture etc. for it, so they could have just as easily done something cooler than More Link.

Link is the main character of the franchise, one of Nintendo's most popular characters, the best-selling Amiibo (although that's kinda unfair considering it's the most useful Amiibo), ect, ect.

A lot of people don't consider Link boring is what I'm saying. It's probably like associated with games but in terms of "get people hype," Link who transforms into silver-haired anime Link is probably more of a seller than Skull Kid.

Tingle is probably not but who the gently caress knows. Nintendo loves Tingle and he must sell somewhere considering how much they push him.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I like Link and I think he's cooler than dumb fatbodies like Zant and Fi.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

I like Link and I think he's cooler than dumb fatbodies like Zant and Fi.

i like fi's thighs.

she might not have hands but she has booty

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Skull Kid is dumb and I'm happy he's not in. :twisted:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Boring, give me Tetra and her pirate crew and also a WW Ganondorf skin

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Aurora posted:

Boring, give me Tetra and her pirate crew and also a WW Ganondorf skin

What if they give Young Link a lobster pajamas costume?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

I am very sad this won't happen now.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

chumbler posted:

I'm pretty sure they're just going to stop releasing new stuff once the last pack of the group is done

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aurora posted:

I'm pretty sure they're just going to stop releasing new stuff once the last pack of the group is done

I think it depends on how it is selling, honestly.

But if they do it'll be because Hyrule Warriors Legends is coming for the Wii U in 2016.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Seeing as he has the keaton mask I hope the keaton shows up and does something cool. Only purpose of having it other then just being some allusion to Kafei.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Seeing as he has the keaton mask I hope the keaton shows up and does something cool. Only purpose of having it other then just being some allusion to Kafei.

It's likely that the costumes you can unlock on this map will just be masks for characters to wear.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kaubocks posted:

It's likely that the costumes you can unlock on this map will just be masks for characters to wear.

Yeah I assume that's the case for everyone, but young link has the keaton at all times

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

i hope one of them is the mario mask

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Hmm. Maybe there could be a Kafei costume for Young Link in the next DLC pack? That would be pretty cool!

chumbler posted:

This would be awesome as well.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
We know we're getting the Majora's Mask DLC and the Boss DLC. So, 2 DLCs are coming for sure.

My guess is they'll keep making more DLC if people keep buying it. So, one day a playable Skull Kid isn't out of the question. They'll make it if people keep giving them money.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The baton doesn't even sound right or play Wind Waker songs. Its bullshit :mad:

I still like using it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Wind Waker is a part of the season 2 DLC pack.

• Locked thread