Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Musluk
May 23, 2011

its more fun to shitpost about starbound than to play starbound, which is p bad imo

also hurr posting ab out posting in a videogame thread hurr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0IJeH85qw9t

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Musluk posted:

its more fun to shitpost about starbound than to play starbound, which is p bad imo

also hurr posting ab out posting in a videogame thread hurr

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I'm still holding out for "Most of this mythical stable will be enjoyable, but the combat/survival mechanics will make me want to slam my face into my desk" :downs:

If they DO lock progress or ore smelting to specific locations, that's one less cool thing. And I'm a guy who LIKED making a (terrible) home base. But I liked it because it was an option, not because it was required in any way outside of "My ship is too tiny to fit all these crafting tables", and that would have been sorted by the ship expansions.

EDIT: vvv Well, pants is right there about me. Because I just can't stop hoping something entirely enjoyable will come out of this game, instead of merely "This has a lot of cool things and shown clear signs of improvement, but it also has a lot of things that make me find punching my self in the testicles an attractive alternative.":saddowns:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 20, 2015

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

XboxPants posted:

I dunno, rather, it sounds like you guys are loving morons

how dare you!!

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
"A heap of new posts, maybe they updated!" I think. Nope, just a pile of cunts arguing about nothing. I'm so disappointed in all of you.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ariza posted:

"A heap of new posts, maybe they updated!" I think. Nope, just a pile of cunts arguing about nothing. I'm so disappointed in all of you.

When in the past have there been a heap of new posts and an update? its your own drat fault for assuming they'd have updated the game. Thats a fool's mindset!

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

mutata posted:

lookit this poo poo, they done posted in their thread, hur hur.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ariza posted:

Not as disappointed as you are in the game I bet!

Hey-yo

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Section Z posted:

I'm still holding out for "Most of this mythical stable will be enjoyable, but the combat/survival mechanics will make me want to slam my face into my desk" :downs:
To actually make serious question for the handful of people actually defending the game: what exactly does it offer that other and better games don't? And I don't mean it's "promise" or "potential" or whatever the hell, I mean it and any foreseeable updates as an actual playable game.

Terraria literally does everything Starbound does at the moment, except not poo poo. The combat isn't horrible, the digging around is actually kind of fun as those goes, the enemy balance is relatively fair, there's a lot more fun and easier to use movement options and accessories, and even the gunplay is leagues better and more useful. Starbound has planet hopping, except all the planets are boring and horrible and you're better off with Terraria's big maps with varied biomes anyway. I guess you can't play a birdman or something but it's not like that's a meaningful choice considering there's no story, the NPCs that do exist don't do anything that matters, and hell at least one race doesn't even have NPCs.

If there were updates and improvements at a frequent and regular schedule that would be one thing, there would at least be signs that the game is improving, but it's going on a year now without a stable update. For a 2D procedurally-generated pixel platformer. It's been over a year since it's been sold as a game, and months before that where they were taking cash money for it in donates. There's been some unstable test updates sure, but has anything been added actually been fun? Anything? Or is it just random incoherent balance changes thrown at a wall in hopes something sticks with some added "content" that's indistinguishable from the existing content except where it actually makes the game more restrictive and less entertaining.

Starbound is a bad game.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Ariza posted:

It's true i'm the jerk. Lighten up, guy! Have an Alpaca:

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Ariza posted:

this guy thinks theres going to be an update

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I wonder if they still 'plan' to have racial abilities tied to racial armor or not. I hope they abandon that for just set racials. Something fairly minor but flavorful, like increase jump height for Apex or underwater breathing for Hylotyl. Things like that may act as an extra tech slot, which may or may not be balanced, I just hope for some at least minorly impactful effects to help the races feel a little unique. Then again I am a spazz and like to do goofy RP things to spice up multiple characters and add some additional gameplay.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

They could do both. The race gets their special bonus by default, and if another race equips their armor, it replaces their bonus in favor of the new one while that armor is worn.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Asimo posted:

Terraria literally does everything Starbound does at the moment, except not poo poo. The combat isn't horrible, the digging around is actually kind of fun as those goes, the enemy balance is relatively fair,
No, no, and no. Terraria combat is awful and grindy, its digging is just as bad; mapwide events, lovely worldgen and tacked-on hardmode means halfway through the game new players are no longer welcome on your server. Its multiplayer support is garbage that mandates third-party tools.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Jackard posted:

No, no, and no. Terraria combat is awful and grindy, its digging is just as bad; mapwide events, lovely worldgen and tacked-on hardmode means halfway through the game new players are no longer welcome on your server. Its multiplayer support is garbage that mandates third-party tools.

this is almost all wrong sorry about your loss

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Asimo posted:

To actually make serious question for the handful of people actually defending the game: what exactly does it offer that other and better games don't? And I don't mean it's "promise" or "potential" or whatever the hell, I mean it and any foreseeable updates as an actual playable game.

Terraria literally does everything Starbound does at the moment, except not poo poo. The combat isn't horrible, the digging around is actually kind of fun as those goes, the enemy balance is relatively fair, there's a lot more fun and easier to use movement options and accessories, and even the gunplay is leagues better and more useful. Starbound has planet hopping, except all the planets are boring and horrible and you're better off with Terraria's big maps with varied biomes anyway. I guess you can't play a birdman or something but it's not like that's a meaningful choice considering there's no story, the NPCs that do exist don't do anything that matters, and hell at least one race doesn't even have NPCs.

If there were updates and improvements at a frequent and regular schedule that would be one thing, there would at least be signs that the game is improving, but it's going on a year now without a stable update. For a 2D procedurally-generated pixel platformer. It's been over a year since it's been sold as a game, and months before that where they were taking cash money for it in donates. There's been some unstable test updates sure, but has anything been added actually been fun? Anything? Or is it just random incoherent balance changes thrown at a wall in hopes something sticks with some added "content" that's indistinguishable from the existing content except where it actually makes the game more restrictive and less entertaining.

Starbound is a bad game.

Placeholder bosses I can beat without learning how to bullethell in an exploration block building game? As much as people complain about digging speeds for Starbound, it blows away the dig speed of Terraria (Well, so long as you got something that can dig out at least a 3x3 area that lasts).

But yes, seriously, I need to pay attention to Terraria sometime long enough to progress past Gold one of these days. Or not getting medium worlds spawning with Corruption or Crimson literally one minute away from my spawn in both directions over and over for my bad self to deal with :shepface: Mostly I just think about Hard mode in the near future just spewing corruption and hallow loving everywhere in my nice little world and trail off. Suggestions on preventing such are either spending :spergin: amounts of time sectioning off an entire planet, or moving on to another planet (hmm, what was it starbound was supposed to be about again?)

But if Terraria and Starbound share anything in common beyond blocks of dirt, it's the "Just get Good, I can do it easy :smug:" or "Just get somebody to help you, don't you have friends? (who own the exact same game and can play at the exact same time)? :smugdog:" mentality regarding combat at times in a chunk of the fanbase.

Even if I do admit I should probably give it a longer shot one of these days, despite that looming horizon of bullethell and HP sponge stuff to deal with. I certaintly feel like an invincible olympic god compared to Starbound at any point in the game though. Infinite horde of zombies and all I have is a wooden sword? No problem, I can survive more than 3 hits :black101:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The more changes redigit makes, the closer Terraria combat seems to get to Castlevania Symphony of the Night.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

TheSpookyDanger posted:

I wouldnt expect a gameboy or whatever the hell you are to understand!!

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Eonwe posted:

just remember, these are video games and even if I or another person makes fun of you, its not for real

But thats wrong you loving retard, it totally is real.

its all real, to me.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Blackheart posted:

It's true i'm the jerk. Lighten up, guy! Have an Alpaca:

did greamcreaper die btw

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

This needs more love.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Jackard posted:

TheSpookyDanger posted:

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
When they said they would make changes to make planet-based building more useful, I assumed they would do it by making building on the ship less useful - like no crops or only some crops, or some tools don't work on the ship. That would be more inline with how they've done things so far than actually adding new stuff that makes you want to build on a planet. Maybe once NPCs are in they will live in your colony but never on your ship, so your massive ship has nobody on board except you, a lonesome space king.

The constant "balancing" of mining etc is frustrating because they've said there will be alternate paths, and you can buy ores instead of mining (might be remembering wrong) but those don't exist yet. Maybe if they did the current progression in Nomad-mode or whatever it is would be more tolerable but it looks like when/if those features finally get in, everything will have to be rebalanced again anyway. Which seems par for the course - no real long-term plan and constantly reworking poo poo and applying bandaids.

I tried to build an ocean base lately and even the way they did that is kind of janky. The ocean water tiles just spawn water out of nowhere so you first have to put down dirt to get rid of the ocean, then mine it out. Even one tile of ocean hanging in the air will spew out loads of water until everything is flooded.

Why, starbound. Why won't you let me love you?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Blackheart posted:

The more changes redigit makes, the closer Terraria combat seems to get to Castlevania Symphony of the Night.
I wouldn't go that far since SotN is genuinely good. It's more that Terraria is at least relatively competent at what it does despite its flaws, and Starbound is trying to imitate its elements (except ~~in space~~) without understanding why any of them kind of worked (or didn't work and improving upon it.) Cargo cult game design.

Also as a reminder, Terraria was made in four months and has had multiple large content releases, even after ReLogic formally stopped development. Starbound took two years to get a retail release, got well over a million dollars in preorders, and had now almost a year out since the last stable patch.

Koobze posted:

Why, starbound. Why won't you let me love you?
Starbound is a bad game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Asimo posted:

Starbound is a bad game.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Have they improved the guns yet? Can you be a bird with a gun?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Reiley posted:

Can you be a bird with a gun?
Technically, yes.

quote:

Have they improved the guns yet?
No. There has been no update, and the pending test updates are just as bad.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Listen if we all had just stopped our bad posting the thread would've been filled with great posts and not at all been dead and without updates much like game starbound

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Ahundredbux posted:

Listen if we all had just stopped our bad posting the thread would've been filled with great posts and not at all been dead and without updates much like game starbound

Can someone give me an update on poster Eonwe? I called him a retard and now i am worried he took it the wrong way. I'm just worried for his well-being.

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!

Asimo posted:

Starbound is a bad game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Musluk posted:

did greamcreaper die btw
He was so offended by my suggestion that maybe he wasn't pro ice at Symphony of the Night that he had a nervous breakdown

Rrussom posted:

Can someone give me an update on poster Eonwe? I called him a retard and now i am worried he took it the wrong way. I'm just worried for his well-being.
Eonwe doesn't give a gently caress, he's imp as hell.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rrussom posted:

woa

im ok friend

The White Dragon posted:

Eonwe doesn't give a gently caress, he's imp as hell.

oh, hello!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Liquid Penguins posted:

Ok so it's in magic early access limbo where you're not allowed to say it's a bad game never coming out. Gotcha.

I can say, with absolute certainty, that something is happening. Somebody, somewhere, is doing something Starbound-related.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shitposting, for example.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Tin Tim posted:

The good ol say how a thing is bad so that you can feel smug and smart while you're not adding anything yourself because that would be a waste of time since things are so bad already.

:ironicat:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Shitposting, for example.

It's a thing and is related to Starbound so it totally Starcounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Asimo posted:

Starbound has really good art/music/theming. At least compared to the competitors, like Final Fantasy sprites and whatever art style Minecraft has going on. "Pretty" doesn't make for a good game, of course - but it is often cool looking.

It's also extremely moddable. This might sound like a "potential" thing, but it's not. Yeah, I do hope that it'll get even more opened up to modding, but even if it never changes from how it is today, it's already about a million times easier to mod than any of its competitors. And even if no one else ever creates a mod, it's still a draw for some people, including me. It's fun for me to mess around and make some custom assets or whatever in the game, like guns that shoot lava, or candy biomes.

So basically, it's pretty and easy to mod. But, yes, neither of those things make the base gameplay fun. Hey, you asked.

I also like that I'm not using a drat 1x1 pickaxe, but that's more of a personal preference.

Asimo posted:

There's been some unstable test updates sure, but has anything been added actually been fun? Anything? Or is it just random incoherent balance changes thrown at a wall in hopes something sticks with some added "content" that's indistinguishable from the existing content except where it actually makes the game more restrictive and less entertaining.

I'm not sure what kind of answer you're looking for. It sounds like you're gonna reject anything that's either (1) a balance change or (2) a content addition. So what kind of update are expecting, exactly, that's neither balance nor content? Or, if it was a good balance change or good content addition, would that be an acceptable answer?

• Locked thread