Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

which fe game should i play, that i can either play on my laptop or a handheld?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Cake Attack posted:

also blood pacts

I never understood where the hell this came from

Cake Attack posted:

7, or 9

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Obviously he should play Shadow Dragon

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i'm going to play 6, because I've played that much less than all the other games, barring the ones I don't like

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Tae posted:

The 1st part of radiant dawn is worse than I thought. As in half the team being utter poo poo and the other half is good except you almost immediately get 5 people that are instantly better so why bother with the dawn Brigade outside of Nolan.

With the way that bonus EXP and levelups worked you could game yourself a pretty strong character. You always get 3 stat gains in your highest growths when leveling up with bonus EXP, and it skips a stat if it's already maxed out. So you take someone like Edward who will probably max SPD/SKL first, and then you just spend bonus EXP until he maxes out another 2-3 stats. I never really focused much on Edward but he's definitely a viable lategame Trueblade.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The problem with Edward is that Zihark exists, who has Earth affinity and can actually not die easily. RD is weird because it is either the easiest or hardest beginning of a game. The hardest if you try to spread out your EXP which results in risky attacks because Edward/Nolan are the only reliable attackers. Shortly after, you get Sothe/Zihark/Jill who are all very good and endgame units. Unlike most games which kinda punishes you for using the super stat characters, it's actually encouraged because of the turn count for BEXP.

It just feels like if I want to get over using the Dawn Brigade section quickly, just use Sothe, then Vogus, then the trio, then the Queen/Black Knight.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I doubt they're going to do the kid thing again but I hope they have missions you don't have to do in a set order. One of the things I like about Awakening is that you can do most of the kid missions whenever you want so you don't have to progress through the game in the exact same way each time.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I did the statue priest trick in an attempt to see if I can make Leonardo useful.

50 turns and a promotion later he is still loving garbage, why does the Dawn Brigade exists why why why.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
^^^^
Leonardo's biggest advantage is the Lughnasadh bow he gets in part 3. Without that there's no reason to use him over Rolf or Shinon who are almost guaranteed to become disgustingly overpowered.

Volt Catfish posted:

Speaking of, the last chapter you use the Dawn Brigade is is Really loving Hard. I dunno, it felt the first few times I tried it, that it would be seriously impossible to progress. That is, unless I just abused the black knight being there as much as possible. Ultimately I didn't, but still.

Now you're all gonna tell me that chapter is actually pretty easy and I'm just bad, right? (I wouldn't be surprised). I was on Hard, though.

No that chapter is really hard, and pretty much any unit who's not already a tier two class is going to be in constant peril.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The last Dawn Brigade chapter is a goddamn slog and Nailah's going to be stealing most of the kills because no one besides her and the Black Knight can kill anything without being in immediate danger of death.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

FE Girls.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Is the last Dawn Brigade chapter really that hard? I don't remember ever having too much trouble on it and I never used Black Knight or Nailah because it just felt like cheating. The only time I feel the Dawn Brigade really struggle's is in their chapters in Part 3 and that may just be because I generally try to recruit Zihark and Jill back to the Greil Mercenaries because I like the dialogue.

I mean, not that the Dawn Brigade don't suck most of the time but unless you take them to the endgame I don't think they perform too badly.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Authority stars really gently caress the Dawn Brigade over. Last I played FE10 I remember in 1-E most of the team aside from BK and Nailah had pretty shaky hitrates and the team was pretty fragile, even after busting the Seraph Robes on Jill.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Authority stars really gently caress the Dawn Brigade over.

Cyas.jpg

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
The three good Dawn Brigade'ers are Micaiah (more because you're forced to take her, less because shes actually good, so you might as well) Nolan and Edward :colbert:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Austrian mook posted:

I never understood where the hell this came from

Nevermind I got no concept for understanding things

Onmi fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 20, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

no he doesn't understand where they came up with the idea of blood pacts, unless you suggested them personally no one cares

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Cake Attack posted:

no he doesn't understand where they came up with the idea of blood pacts, unless you suggested them personally no one cares

Oh, some drug filled dream I assume.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

BrightWing posted:

The three good Dawn Brigade'ers are Micaiah (more because you're forced to take her, less because shes actually good, so you might as well) Nolan and Edward :colbert:

I've got a Micaiah in my current RD run that has capped Magic, Speed, and HP by the end of Part 1.

It is magnificent.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BrightWing posted:

Michaiah is actually really good, it's just that she's got dumb plot promotions which means if you use her too much early on she'll be doing a whole lot of nothing for a chunk of the game. If you only give her kills sparingly though she's good for the whole game because Thani is just so good that even if you have her underlevelled she can still hold her own. And of course extra exp means that you can give her a few much needed levels immediately after her promotions.

Fire Emblem needs more mage Lords.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Michaiah is actually really good, it's just that she's got dumb plot promotions which means if you use her too much early on she'll be doing a whole lot of nothing for a chunk of the game. If you only give her kills sparingly though she's good for the whole game because Thani is just so good that even if you have her underlevelled she can still hold her own. And of course extra exp means that you can give her a few much needed levels immediately after her promotions.

Her main strength is staff usage, which is severely underrated by players for some reason. The thing is Micaiah doesn't have to fight a day in her life and she'll still be useful because she can sling staffs around like nobodies business.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Having Robin as kind of a dual lord was pretty cool.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Fire Emblem needs its very first Priest lord.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Eddain posted:

Fire Emblem needs its very first Priest lord.

Lord is a pacifist that can use staves and nothing else. Does not gain attacks on promotion.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

To be fair, Roy is basically a conscientious objector for like 80% of FE6. That's pretty close to a healer.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Very simple reason for no Priest Lord, IntSys tries very hard to never render the PC in an "Unwinnable" state, thus even if everyone else was killed your Lord would still be able to fight. a non-combatant lord could potentially render an unwinnable state

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Dark mages having high defense as a class feature but their character models being shirtless is very silly.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Onmi posted:

Very simple reason for no Priest Lord, IntSys tries very hard to never render the PC in an "Unwinnable" state, thus even if everyone else was killed your Lord would still be able to fight. a non-combatant lord could potentially render an unwinnable state

That's no excuse, you can easily just give Game Over status to 1 more character so you always have an offensive option. Chrom and Robin are both Game Over states.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Well, the avatar can be a priest in Awakening. Or a troubadour if you choose to be a woman.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Onmi posted:

Her main strength is staff usage, which is severely underrated by players for some reason. The thing is Micaiah doesn't have to fight a day in her life and she'll still be useful because she can sling staffs around like nobodies business.

Staff utility is really low in RD, though. There's no Warp or Hammerne, Rescue barely exists and enemies aren't really dangerous enough for sleep to be all that useful. She can heal but vulneraries have 8 uses and heal 20 HP so that's not even all that useful.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Onmi posted:

the obvious solution is to make staves that can kill people

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Dark mages having high defense as a class feature but their character models being shirtless is very silly.

I remember I made my first avatar a dark mage because I was expecting her to get a badass set of robes. Really I just wanted to see a model like this in 3D;

I was confused and upset when I got the exact opposite :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
e ^^^ Oh hey.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I was seriously pissed (moderately annoyed) when the design for Sorcerers was revealed to not be half as cool as Druid's.

Sleepy Owl posted:

the obvious solution is to make staves that can kill people

Bring back Berserk.

I've always been a proponent of tougher grunts in FE so that things like debuffs would be useful.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

priest lords special weapon is a berserk staff but when you use it on someone it puts a rapier into their inventory

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

sharrrk posted:

who is kamui??

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nice panties on that barbarian

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Endorph posted:

Hey, he can't afford pants that's why he's gotta barbarian it up! Don't be mean to the poor.

Also as an aside, hell Awakening is hard to pick parents for. Mostly cause none of them really speak like the FE4 ones did to me.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Endorph posted:

Here's a bit of fun: get up out of your seat and try and re-create his fighting stance.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
In Awakening, other than the base game, are any of the DLC or beyond-vanilla-game-things free?

I know the post-endgame content costs money, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

There are a handful of stages which are available free from the SpotPass menu, they unlock when you get access to the final stage and let you recruit the prominent villain characters of the game. Beyond that and being able to battle and recruit Avatar verisons of past FE characters, the extra content is all paid DLC.