Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

Eel hovercraft posted:

I've watched three seasons of the tv show and I'm still not sure if I like it or not, the tv version just never clicked for me the same way the podcast did.

They always end up rushing the character guest so you never get the fun arc where they tease out their story by talking it through. The character always starts out as a fully-formed weirdo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Poopy Palpy posted:

I don't know when my tenuous grip on sanity will finally snap, but I know it will be brought on by someone saying "Nice!"
"I can't stop...I'm not getting it right..the lyrics...I can't remember the lyrics....I CAN'T STOP!!"

Nice...well it's hollywood and we're going to Inglew-gently caress

binwin711
Oct 18, 2013
Yes! More Sanz the better

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
Why does this show keep wanting me to buy boxes of things

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's kind of weird how common that business model is now. If you were subscribing to only the ones that advertise on podcasts you'd be getting monthly boxes of healthy snacks, dog toys, socks, clothes, epic gamer loot (Maltin...), wine and razors

Also I thought I was doing a good job skipping ads on podcasts but I guess not

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I could take or leave the guest segments on the TV show but it definitely has some of the best sketches on TV right now.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Thoogsby posted:

I could take or leave the guest segments on the TV show but it definitely has some of the best sketches on TV right now.

I think the guest works best when it's a completely new character. It took a while (ittookawhile) for me to get into season 1 and I've realized it's because I had a ton of expectations out of the podcast characters. And you just can't condense hours of character development into 3 minutes.
Once they started doing brand new characters, I wasn't expecting anything and they were able to explore the character in the short time.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

I mean, you hired Chevy.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I can't listen to Horatio Sanz bring up Michael Jackson's propofol without Hee Hee shrieking for "MAH MILLLLLLLK"

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

It's kind of weird how common that business model is now. If you were subscribing to only the ones that advertise on podcasts you'd be getting monthly boxes of healthy snacks, dog toys, socks, clothes, epic gamer loot (Maltin...), wine and razors

Also I thought I was doing a good job skipping ads on podcasts but I guess not

besser trying to sincerely make "loot crate" seem like something worthwhile to buy was really funny to me

Arm_Fruit
Jul 1, 2013

erezaka posted:

besser trying to sincerely make "loot crate" seem like something worthwhile to buy was really funny to me

They do even better with the healthy snacks box. "Pamela over there is eating the peanut butter nom noms"

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

Arm_Fruit posted:

They do even better with the healthy snacks box. "Pamela over there is eating the peanut butter nom noms"

yeah i forgot about the word nom noms somehow. although you can at least see some merit in buying overpriced health food compared to figurines of your favorite pacific rim characters

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Horatio was on fire this episode and I like that Scott's new thing appears to be getting his characters to exhaust as many premises as possible for their appearance

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I was glad we got a return of "Horatio knows how to get around LA"

Help Im Alive posted:

After Birchbox somehow made the "Pay us $20 to ship you a handful of sample sized toiletries and cosmetics" business model viable, the floodgates were open.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Scott and Benny Schwaz sort of got him to do it in the first episode of the year, too.

Arm_Fruit
Jul 1, 2013
I really love the joy of Jim Rash in this episode. He's just having a great time.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Arm_Fruit posted:

I really love the joy of Jim Rash in this episode. He's just having a great time.

Yeah I thought the same thing. The first segment is always fun when the guest is tickled by Scott's ridiculous interview style.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Jim did the best first time WYR, he's extremely analytical.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

erezaka posted:

although you can at least see some merit in buying overpriced health food compared
I cancelled my Nature Box pretty fast. Not only is it overpriced, but if they're out of something you requested, they just give you whatever they feel like!

Golden Bee posted:

Ya, he got the game beautifully.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Golden Bee posted:

Yes, that was awesome.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

erezaka posted:

yeah i forgot about the word nom noms somehow. although you can at least see some merit in buying overpriced health food compared to figurines of your favorite pacific rim characters

As a person whose manchild friend has loot crate, I can tell you that the 3rd tier garbage he tries to push on me as "gifts" are much worse than even that. Thanks for the terrible Marvel documentary and mini Star Lord toy, Alex, it definitely won't just rot in my closet until I find it again and throw it away.

Naturebox, however, makes for great low-effort Christmas presents for people you know who are afraid of toxins.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

I was jonesing for a mention of brett butler and Im glad that Shelly and her have made up

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I love Naturebox, it doesn't really seem that overpriced to me?? Four bucks a bag for nuts is pretty normal around here.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I love Naturebox, it doesn't really seem that overpriced to me?? Four bucks a bag for nuts is pretty normal around here.

Where they getcha is in the granola and the big bag with 3 nom noms in it.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
They have really cornered the market on those delicious nom noms.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
folks, ya gotta have these peanut butter nom noms

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

If you like the idea of Naturebox but want something better you should try Love With Food. I was kinda meh on Naturebox (and Graze) but LWF is really good. Pretty much everything I've gotten from them I've liked.

Also if any of you watch QI, Claudia O'Doherty was on last week's episode.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I really shouldn't have listened to this episode at the gym. "I got into a car accident once... at the gym" nearly killed me.

It's been said before but Horatio's absentminded non sequiturs are a goddamn delight.

turtleface
May 28, 2003

I'm helping

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I really shouldn't have listened to this episode at the gym. "I got into a car accident once... at the gym" nearly killed me.

It's been said before but Horatio's absentminded non sequiturs are a goddamn delight.

When he asked Scott if he shaved for christmas I just about lost it.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
The I4H episode that dropped today is a must-listen for Lauren Lapkus' drunk southern woman character.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Thoogsby posted:

The I4H episode that dropped today is a must-listen for Lauren Lapkus' drunk southern woman character.

I've never been the biggest I4H fan but I have to listen each week because there's always an amazing YouTube video that I've yet to see. It's like Fogelnest Files lite.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Whenever they play a great youtube video the improv scene after it is like a really bad cover version.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Agreed for the most part, but oftentimes they use that as a basis and just sort of spin off that character into an entirely different scene. But often times they do not.

I went back and relistened to a lot of early I4H episodes recently and found them so refreshing. No long rants by Besser, no musicians, no videos, no interviews, no case-closed yelling, just Twitter suggestions leading to funny scenes.

I love alternate formats like the interview and whatnot for stage shows, but for a podcast I'm just looking to get bite-sized scenes, not have to skip over a song I don't care for every 5 minutes or keep skipping ahead to not hear Besser yelling about how adults shouldn't drink milk or whatever.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

feedmyleg posted:

Agreed for the most part, but oftentimes they use that as a basis and just sort of spin off that character into an entirely different scene. But often times they do not.

I went back and relistened to a lot of early I4H episodes recently and found them so refreshing. No long rants by Besser, no musicians, no videos, no interviews, no case-closed yelling, just Twitter suggestions leading to funny scenes.

I love alternate formats like the interview and whatnot for stage shows, but for a podcast I'm just looking to get bite-sized scenes, not have to skip over a song I don't care for every 5 minutes or keep skipping ahead to not hear Besser yelling about how adults shouldn't drink milk or whatever.

Yeah I agree totally. I almost feel the show would be better served with the scenes out of context, as the cover song analogy is super apt

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

ImPureAwesome posted:

Yeah I agree totally. I almost feel the show would be better served with the scenes out of context, as the cover song analogy is super apt

I don't know, I think the callback is the foundation of this Del Close-y improv. You don't find the scenes as funny without the monologue (or youtube or whatever) or without the previous sketches. But I agree that the games spawned from the youtubes tend to be shallow, they don't do much with it, go with the first joke.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

ManoliIsFat posted:

I don't know, I think the callback is the foundation of this Del Close-y improv. You don't find the scenes as funny without the monologue (or youtube or whatever) or without the previous sketches. But I agree that the games spawned from the youtubes tend to be shallow, they don't do much with it, go with the first joke.

I think a lot of times the you tubes can can overwhelm with such a strong character or situation that it becomes really hard to cherry pick a game out of without just repeating the you tube. Especially since when you're pulling from a monologue you get one perspective and some detail and even if you basically repeat that verbatim you get something new out of someone reacting to it, which you don't in the youtubes a lot of time since it's already the entire situation rather than a description of it.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
I've always thought of The Harold as kind of easy since you get to agree with the audience what the joke is before you even actually do improv and then you just hammer the same spots over and over but it's probably insanely bad if you miss on the first beat lol. Well any way you slice it, improv is an easy art form for lazy people.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ManoliIsFat posted:

I agree, but the balance is completely off. If I go and see a UCB stage show, I get a 20-minute Harold based on a one word suggestion or story. With I4H, it's constantly stopping and starting to the point where some episodes are more chatting and ranting than scenes.

e: Improv is not easy. At all. Go to any indie team show or 3rd-tier comedy theater and you'll see. Time and time again. Or take a class and spend 8 weeks watching terrible, terrible improv.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 23, 2015

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

I've always thought of The Harold as kind of easy since you get to agree with the audience what the joke is before you even actually do improv and then you just hammer the same spots over and over but it's probably insanely bad if you miss on the first beat lol. Well any way you slice it, improv is an easy art form for lazy people.

If you've seen enough improv you k ow it isn't easy because you've seen way too many people gently caress it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

soggybagel posted:

If you've seen enough improv you k ow it isn't easy because you've seen way too many people gently caress it.

That's weird because I know your mom is easy because I've seen way too many prior people gently caress her.