Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Hypocrisy posted:

Hey whaddya know, Grandpa cares about Isabel.

You sure about that? Giving her a tool in the first place was not a compliment in Grandpa's eyes, and giving her one to replace the one she lost follows along the lines of "you're still not good enough to fight on your own, it seems."

I'm curious if Zarei's going to confront Isabel on the next page now that she's out of Francisco's sight or if she'll bring it up later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

What a cool, loving grandpa.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Dolash posted:

You sure about that? Giving her a tool in the first place was not a compliment in Grandpa's eyes, and giving her one to replace the one she lost follows along the lines of "you're still not good enough to fight on your own, it seems."

This sheds a whole new light on my Grandma's habit of giving me money every time she saw me. "Worthless boy, get a job so I can stop shaming you with these handouts!"

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

I dunno, I got the impression that she was "supposed" to say no to the offer in his eyes. His "hmph" kinda gave off a dismissive, "you're still weak" vibe.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Plus she isn't Kirby.

Ergo that's clearly the Chicken Hat of ghost-weapons.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

We're going to get a heart wrenching look at how not all spirits get along with their Spectral, and Isabel is going to learn that what she had with Eightfold was a special bond that she might never have again.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

You guys do realize that the alt text said that the tool wasn't possessed, right? I think it's similar to the targets from before, where there is a spirit trapped in it, but it's not a utilitarian thing that has good powers. It's probably similar to PJ.nevermind, I read the alt text wrong, and it's probably a joke anyway.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 16, 2015

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

neogeo0823 posted:

You guys do realize that the alt text said that the tool wasn't possessed, right? I think it's similar to the targets from before, where there is a spirit trapped in it, but it's not a utilitarian thing that has good powers. It's probably similar to PJ.nevermind, I read the alt text wrong, and it's probably a joke anyway.

Remember that in Alt Text Canon Spender's car can talk.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I love how the deception and distrust filter down to every aspect of Spectral life, like just getting treatment for a bite.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man, Francisco's such a dick. "Alright doctor, you did what I want, now get the gently caress out. Ignore that I tried to pressure you into giving up your thing."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cavatica posted:

I dunno, I got the impression that she was "supposed" to say no to the offer in his eyes. His "hmph" kinda gave off a dismissive, "you're still weak" vibe.
This is the impression that I got, too. If she'd turned it down, she'd have both done what he was hoping she'd do (but expecting she wouldn't), and have gotten an opening to shout him down about what he insinuated about Eightfold.

But, for better or worse, she's still too intimidated by him to stand up to him in any more than the 'harmless preteen rebellion' ways.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ague Proof posted:

There's a theory that he's a ghost. What with "will you lose your social life too?" and because you never see his feet.
:stare: you can see where is feet should be. They're flat-out not there.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Splicer posted:

:stare: you can see where is feet should be. They're flat-out not there.

He has legs under his robe.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

This is the impression that I got, too. If she'd turned it down, she'd have both done what he was hoping she'd do (but expecting she wouldn't), and have gotten an opening to shout him down about what he insinuated about Eightfold.

But, for better or worse, she's still too intimidated by him to stand up to him in any more than the 'harmless preteen rebellion' ways.

Nah, I think she was just caught off-guard this time because she was expecting to be caught.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Poison Mushroom posted:

My impression is that Francisco does not respond to being thanked well. At least from Isabel.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I started reading again. Oh, man.

quote:

You owe my unexpected visit to THIS ill twist! *does another front flip off the roof*

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

You can see the shape of his knees under his robe, but you still can't see his feet?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Hypocrisy posted:

My impression is that Francisco does not respond to being thanked well. At least from Isabel.

I dunno, it sounded a lot like a test on a re-read

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

How do ghosts perform spectral attacks? Spectrals generate spectral energy so it's no big deal for tools to feed off them or use it to shoot at people or what have you, but ghosts are made of spectral energy and don't regenerate without the help of a spectral or possibly without eating other ghosts/spirits. Surely shooting spec-shots and the like would drain them?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

You can see the shape of his knees under his robe, but you still can't see his feet?

You can't, but ghosts are missing their whole lower bodies, not just feet.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Dolash posted:

How do ghosts perform spectral attacks? Spectrals generate spectral energy so it's no big deal for tools to feed off them or use it to shoot at people or what have you, but ghosts are made of spectral energy and don't regenerate without the help of a spectral or possibly without eating other ghosts/spirits. Surely shooting spec-shots and the like would drain them?

Ghosts regenerate their own energy, just really really slowly. It's much faster to feed off a spectral, but it's not 100% necessary.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

neogeo0823 posted:

Ghosts regenerate their own energy, just really really slowly. It's much faster to feed off a spectral, but it's not 100% necessary.

Isabel says as much that Spender's explanation isn't the whole story. It's possible Francisco discovered a third way that isn't exactly orthodox, or they're keeping it a secret.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I would say that Max should introduce PJ to Francisco's class, but Francisco would obviously tear him apart.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Does the apparent disrespect for spirits exhibited by Francisco and the Consortium extend to ghosts? You'd think literally being able to interact with the dead would be a big deal, perhaps bigger than anything else the Spectrals do, but the school was just chock full of ghosts and attempts to keep them from getting soul-sucked to oblivion were pretty haphazard.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tenebrais posted:

You can't, but ghosts are missing their whole lower bodies, not just feet.

Constantly manifesting spirit force knees in his pants to keep up appearances. Grandpa's ghost doesn't care about poo poo like feet, but he really missed those knees

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Hypocrisy posted:

Problem is, his general attiude makes it hard to assume any altruism on his part

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Did I miss something? What is the glowy thing in isabel's pocket? The doc is wiggin out and Francisco might have seen it too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Did I miss something? What is the glowy thing in isabel's pocket? The doc is wiggin out and Francisco might have seen it too.

Healing goo salve

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

It was another vial of green healing goo like Zarie was using on the ghost student. Izabel stole one in the page before this one, and was trying to get it into her pocket this page.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
How do you heal dead people? Green colour! :pseudo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BnOUOkcr9c

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

She got hurt
in the fight against the respawners
and is trying to hide it
though it beats me why.

You can never be too careful with spirit bites
so Isabel stole the salve
but Dr. Zarei is good at noticing things people are tying to hide

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
...Did Isabel take the right bottle? Upon closer inspection, it looks like she took a round bottle, while the one the doctor used earlier was squarish. Maybe I'm imagining things. :v:

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

kurona_bright posted:

...Did Isabel take the right bottle? Upon closer inspection, it looks like she took a round bottle, while the one the doctor used earlier was squarish. Maybe I'm imagining things. :v:

Hah! The new page that came out only a couple hours after your post confirms exactly that. Also, middle school kids aren't great at first aid.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Oh dear, that wound seems ecto-infected. I hope she isn't a were-dogcat now.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
Haha Ed in the background there is great. :)

That kid is high on life

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"The beauty of the comics medium is that you'll never know if Ed is running through the field or doing the slowest most ridiculous Tai Chi"
Sorry, it's Ed so the correct choice is obvious.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
and once again the comic returns to its central theme: Rick Spender Ruins Everything

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

A big flaming stink posted:

and once again the comic returns to its central theme: Rick Spender puts children in serious danger a lot and is kind of an rear end in a top hat
Isabel's first aid skills, while funny, are kind of a sober reminder of this.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

e: nevermind, I was being dumb.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jan 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's the part where spender has helped foster an environment that leads to children under his care getting bitten by meganasty spirits and not seeking appropriate medical care for what could be a hideous injury