Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Oh dang, that seemed so obvious as well :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lotish posted:

How do you know he's breaking the movie's rule when he's getting an infusion of new super brain time blood, which means room for a new rule!?

More importantly, how can you say he's breaking the movie's rule when exactly the same thing happened to Rita Vrataski before the movie began?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Goddamn World War Z. It made exactly zero sense in how the zombies got into Jerusalem. The israeli choppers and troops were doing perimeter with all thw strenght they had. It should have been a zombie wall that gets peeled off with a minigun and that is it.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

CJacobs posted:

Movies that disobey their own rules to make the ending happier at the cost of it making sense are dumb and using "it doesnt matter it's a movie" as a cop out argument to make people stop poking holes in it makes you a spineless jerk, hope this helps

Except it doesn't break its own rules. He gets the blood on him earlier relatively to when he did the first time, so it sent him back to an earlier time period.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I used to deliver large appliances into homes, so I'd really began to notice appliances in movies and tv shows. Usually they are way more expensive than the house they go in. A lot of times, normal looking middle class houses will have like an $8000 built-in Sub-Zero fridge and at least a 36" range that would cost at least $6000. I was watching Shameless earlier today and noticed that the fridge and stove are old pieces of crap that don't match, the hot water heater is just sitting in the corner of the kitchen and the laundry is there too and doesn't match. The washing machine is the same one that Jimmy bought them in season 1.

I like that attention to detail.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It's because Maytag or whoever is paying for product placement

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

mng posted:

I like to think about this clip when things get analyzed too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkMaxdhzzMw

That scene pissed me right the gently caress off and makes me irrationally angry at people who hold it up as a good example of how to handle storytelling. Telling your audience to shut up and not think about it is lazy and insulting. If you put any effort in as a writer to keep everything consistent and plot holes to a minimum then you wouldn't need to beg your audience not to ask questions.

Looper makes me so goddamn mad at movies. gently caress that movie , gently caress everyone who thought it was even remotely good, and gently caress everyone involved in its creation.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Esroc posted:

That scene pissed me right the gently caress off and makes me irrationally angry at people who hold it up as a good example of how to handle storytelling. Telling your audience to shut up and not think about it is lazy and insulting. If you put any effort in as a writer to keep everything consistent and plot holes to a minimum then you wouldn't need to beg your audience not to ask questions.

Looper makes me so goddamn mad at movies. gently caress that movie , gently caress everyone who thought it was even remotely good, and gently caress everyone involved in its creation.

It may be lazy and insulting, to you, but to me it was saying "this isn't important, quit worrying about it" and I took it as that. And if nothing else, Looper was completely consistent with its time travel.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Clearly there should be showings with a special directors preface and epilogue for people to argue over.

It can be 20 minutes of the director repeating "it's a film nobody cares" or similar.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kruller posted:

It may be lazy and insulting, to you, but to me it was saying "this isn't important, quit worrying about it" and I took it as that. And if nothing else, Looper was completely consistent with its time travel.

This is something that also bothered me about Looper. They gave that spiel and then the spiel didn't matter because the movie's time travel "rules" internally consistent. The one thing I didn't find a flaw in in Looper was the fact that they didn't even do anything paradoxical to warrant that conversation in the first place. It was just a pointless jab at the audience wanting the movies they pay 8 bucks to see to be coherent.

edit: I have remembered that dumb loving thing about cutting off a dude's hand removing the hand from the older version of the dude and have crossed out the parts of the post that are relevant to it because that makes no goddamn sense and yes it does matter because it's integral to the story more than a few times, I agree with the post above that says that scene is annoying and useless

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 10:24 on Jan 20, 2015

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

In boy meets world the dad is a manager at a supermarket and the mom doesn't work and they have four kids including Shawn... How can they afford that house? Philly suburb in that nice of a neighborhood that's like a $600k home

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

CJacobs posted:

This is something that also bothered me about Looper. They gave that spiel and then the spiel didn't matter because the movie's time travel "rules" internally consistent. The one thing I didn't find a flaw in in Looper was the fact that they didn't even do anything paradoxical to warrant that conversation in the first place. It was just a pointless jab at the audience wanting the movies they pay 8 bucks to see to be coherent.

edit: I have remembered that dumb loving thing about cutting off a dude's hand removing the hand from the older version of the dude and have crossed out the parts of the post that are relevant to it because that makes no goddamn sense and yes it does matter because it's integral to the story more than a few times, I agree with the post above that says that scene is annoying and useless

The universe in Looper is lazy. "Oh, dude doesnt have a hand? Well gently caress uh... i guess his future self got here without a hand then. What do you mean a man without any legs wouldn't try to drive a car, who's the universe here?" It's still consistent, it's just that making a change to a single dude is easier for the lazy timeline than trying to recalculate what would have happened when he first showed up.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I really loving hate it when there's an explosion or some super loud crash and directly afterward there's that high pitched squealing to indicate all the characters have gone temporarily deaf. I already hear that tinnitus shriek twenty four seven thanks. Not to mention that's definitely damaging people's hearing. Thank gently caress for ear plugs. Who the gently caress thinks that's a good idea? I swear its a recent thing too. Captain America 2 had that in the movie.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
You can thank private Ryan for that.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

In boy meets world the dad is a manager at a supermarket and the mom doesn't work and they have four kids including Shawn... How can they afford that house? Philly suburb in that nice of a neighborhood that's like a $600k home

But on the other hand, Boy Meets World gets credit for pulling a reverse Chuck Cunningham. (Or more accurately, pulls a Chuck Cunningham, but then undoes it.)

In the first 1 or 2 seasons, Cory has a little sister, maybe 5 or 6 years old. But then she just vanishes for several seasons. At which point she then shows back up again as a 10 or 11 year old and merely states she was in her room for a long time.

They did something similar with another character. Again, in the first couple season there was the stereotypical "nerdy" classmate who wore thick glasses, knew the answer to tall of My.Feeny's questions, and was just downright annoying. Again, he vanished at the end of season 1 or 2.

Then they just had him appear out of nowhere in the episode where they all graduated high school.

(I know way too much about Boy Meets World as a kid.)

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ego-bot posted:

I used to deliver large appliances into homes, so I'd really began to notice appliances in movies and tv shows. Usually they are way more expensive than the house they go in. A lot of times, normal looking middle class houses will have like an $8000 built-in Sub-Zero fridge and at least a 36" range that would cost at least $6000. I was watching Shameless earlier today and noticed that the fridge and stove are old pieces of crap that don't match, the hot water heater is just sitting in the corner of the kitchen and the laundry is there too and doesn't match. The washing machine is the same one that Jimmy bought them in season 1.

I like that attention to detail.

Appliance places are all too willing to extend you a line of credit. Some friends of mine finally bought a modest house last year, but the appliances were pretty old. When the stove started needing repaired once a week, they went to look for a replacement. She loves to cook, so she picked out a pretty nice one, because they were offered an enormous credit line by the oh-so-helpful sales staff, and could therefore "afford" it. He agreed on the swanky new stove if he could have a new grill for the back patio (one of the expensive ones with the water tap and fridge and poo poo built into it), but then he outspent her, so she picked out a new washer and dryer to make up the difference, but they were really nice, so she ended up outspending him, and so on. I'm not sure what the total bill was but by the end of the day, they had a new stove, refrigerator, washer & dryer, grill, a 52" plasma TV, a self-propelled lawn mower, and monthly payments for all that poo poo for the next six hundred years.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If you've got a good enough stove, you don't need a grill :colbert:

fleshy echidna
Apr 11, 2010

Vahakyla posted:

Goddamn World War Z. It made exactly zero sense in how the zombies got into Jerusalem. The israeli choppers and troops were doing perimeter with all thw strenght they had. It should have been a zombie wall that gets peeled off with a minigun and that is it.

I also love how at the end of the film (this isn't really a spoiler) we see an entire zombie horde led away by one rear end in a top hat clanging a couple of pots and pans together. Well poo poo, maybe just get some giant loudspeakers in the middle of who the gently caress cares blaring humans screaming 24/7.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

But on the other hand, Boy Meets World gets credit for pulling a reverse Chuck Cunningham. (Or more accurately, pulls a Chuck Cunningham, but then undoes it.)

In the first 1 or 2 seasons, Cory has a little sister, maybe 5 or 6 years old. But then she just vanishes for several seasons. At which point she then shows back up again as a 10 or 11 year old and merely states she was in her room for a long time.

They did something similar with another character. Again, in the first couple season there was the stereotypical "nerdy" classmate who wore thick glasses, knew the answer to tall of My.Feeny's questions, and was just downright annoying. Again, he vanished at the end of season 1 or 2.

Then they just had him appear out of nowhere in the episode where they all graduated high school.

(I know way too much about Boy Meets World as a kid.)

And Mr. Turner left Shawn randomly

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Looper gets brought up here all the time. If you read the thread the logic is internally consistent, you just have to wrap your head around the fact that timeline changes only propagate forwards from the moment the change is made. So if you cut off a dudes hand he has no hand from every moment onwards, but you can't undo stuff he has already done because that would mean rewriting the past too. Ditto with moving him to a different place, that would mean the universe somehow predicting his no-handed actions. So if he's in a car, he's still in a car even if he has no feet.

jabby has a new favorite as of 16:06 on Jan 20, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

And Mr. Turner left Shawn randomly

Mr Turner was just on the other side of the school. That's canon yo. (I may have watched all of Boy Meets World last summer.)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Tiggum posted:

He's a magical ninja rather than a brilliant detective, so, badly.

The problem with Holmes as a character is that he's supposed to be brilliant.

Screenwriters aren't brilliant. So they have to write a character who's smarter than they are.

So you wind up with two kinds of plots in Holmes stories: ones where the mystery is so pedestrian that anyone with half a brain in their head can figure it out, except all the people in the story can't, except for Holmes, in which case the audience sees the solution coming a mile away and this completely dilutes the supposed brilliance of the character. Or ones where the mystery is completely impenetrable and Holmes solves it because of some random factor that the audience is never informed of. The solution comes out of left field, nobody else even has a chance to deduce it because otherwise it would completely dilute the supposed brilliance of the character.

The first Downey Jr. film they took the first option. In the second one there wasn't even really a mystery to begin with. They're dull, plodding films.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Phanatic posted:

Screenwriters aren't brilliant. So they have to write a character who's smarter than they are.

So you wind up with two kinds of plots in Holmes stories: ones where the mystery is so pedestrian that anyone with half a brain in their head can figure it out, except all the people in the story can't, except for Holmes, in which case the audience sees the solution coming a mile away and this completely dilutes the supposed brilliance of the character. Or ones where the mystery is completely impenetrable and Holmes solves it because of some random factor that the audience is never informed of. The solution comes out of left field, nobody else even has a chance to deduce it because otherwise it would completely dilute the supposed brilliance of the character.

Or the "have the character solve a famous problem but never say the answer" gambit. In the terrible Stieg Larsson books, the main character solve's Fermat's Last Theorem easily. In a far more efficient manner than the actual proof.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Phanatic posted:

That's not as big a problem as it seems, because the writers get to work backwards. Where the characters (and audience) see the clues and have to try to work out how to put them together, the writers get the solution and just have to drop enough clues that it seems plausible for the detective to work it out. The detective gets exactly the clues they need, when they need them, because the story is written around that. It's the same principle as a magic trick. The audience just sees a dove appear out of nowhere, but the magician prepared it in advance and put together the place to hide the dove, the manoeuvring to get it out, the distraction needed to to stop the audience from noticing that, etc. For the audience it's hard to figure out how it was done, but for the magician there's no mystery to it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Tiggum posted:

That's not as big a problem as it seems, because the writers get to work backwards.

They sure seem to gently caress it up a lot, though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

EmmyOk posted:

terrible Stieg Larsson books,

The irritating thing about these is that someone read them and thought "sure, this is a great thing to make a movie out of".

I only finished the first one because a friend was hounding me to, and it sucked because I seriously figured out the mystery/plot twist of the book as the case was being introduced, and I basically just sat there fuming that every character was a loving idiot because the plot demanded it.

Honestly, I was so pissed about reading it that I couldn't talk to that friend for like two weeks.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
12 Monkeys is a great film, but near the end there's a bit where an airport security guard makes a guy open a container to look inside, despite the fact that it's made of perfectly transparent plexiglass and he can already see inside of it (specifically, he can see that it's completely empty, except for the transparent, colorless 'biological samples' it contains). What exactly was he trying to determine there? 'Yep, that vial sure is empty.'

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Not sure if you wanted to know or wanted to actually see the footage, but the original ending to World War Z was a cliffhanger. Brad Pitt went to Russia and is not sure if his family is alive or not and you see a pack of zombies in the cold slowing and falling down then it fades to black. Implying that the world may be doomed, but cold seems to kill the virus or at least disable the zombies. Pitt's plane also never crashes and he is conscripted into the Russian army when he lands. He eventually makes contact with his wife and tells her the cold will save humanity, but she has sold her body in a refugee camp to a soldier for protection. Pitt then escapes Russia and comes back to the U.S. hidden on a boat to rescue his family from the camp and then it ends when he reaches the U.S., but doesn't tell you what happens after. Pitt never develops a cure.

Leon Trotsky 2012 has a new favorite as of 21:15 on Jan 20, 2015

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Mister Bates posted:

12 Monkeys is a great film, but near the end there's a bit where an airport security guard makes a guy open a container to look inside, despite the fact that it's made of perfectly transparent plexiglass and he can already see inside of it (specifically, he can see that it's completely empty, except for the transparent, colorless 'biological samples' it contains). What exactly was he trying to determine there? 'Yep, that vial sure is empty.'

I dunno how plausible it is that an airport security guard in a film set and made before 9/11 would open an empty container out of curiosity.

Re: mystery stories, one fault with them is that often the way to solve the mystery is to put yourself in the writer's shoes rather than try and work out who logically would have committed the crime. Like, if I've been following a mystery as a logical chain of events I might not have any reason to suspect the shopkeeper, but because he was the one witness with a speaking role who turned up in the first ten minutes and I haven't seen since, my money is on him, because I know he's a character the story suspiciously focused on, and also he's a speaking role and they cost too much to just use frivolously.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Polaron posted:

Except it doesn't break its own rules. He gets the blood on him earlier relatively to when he did the first time, so it sent him back to an earlier time period.

This is actually true. The alien blood forces him to "reset" to the last point he woke up. For most of the movie, that was to when he woke up on the base after getting arrested.

No explanation why the blood from the "Omega" didn't just reset him to when he woke up in the hospital (instead of on helicopter, arriving at command) after getting the other blood removed from him, unless the point is supposed to be "Omega blood > Alpha blood" and hence resets it back further.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Phanatic posted:

The first Downey Jr. film they took the first option. In the second one there wasn't even really a mystery to begin with. They're dull, plodding films.

Every Holmes story I've ever read ends with Holmes saying "Here's 10 extra clues no one noticed that aren't mentioned in the story. Also I've been running around following up on various leads without telling Watson, so again none of that is actually written anywhere. Now here's the answer. Aren't I amazing."

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

That one moment in The Wire where Wallace and Poot break a CCTV camera by throwing a rock at it, was somehow so pivotal it features in the opening of every single episode.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

That one moment in The Wire where Wallace and Poot break a CCTV camera by throwing a rock at it, was somehow so pivotal it features in the opening of every single episode.

So is Stringer unzipping D'Angelo's girlfriend's shirt. They're not pivotal moments, just good shots for the theme.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Wire's opening is unassailable, having a different version of the theme for each season was awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6H9VMobE8o

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dr_Amazing posted:

Every Holmes story I've ever read ends with Holmes saying "Here's 10 extra clues no one noticed that aren't mentioned in the story. Also I've been running around following up on various leads without telling Watson, so again none of that is actually written anywhere. Now here's the answer. Aren't I amazing."

The thing is, we're getting the story from Watson's perspective to show how much more observant and perceptive Sherlock is. You're not supposed to be able to solve the mystery yourself, it's not that kind of story.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Phanatic posted:

They sure seem to gently caress it up a lot, though.

On the one hand, it's easy to gently caress up, because Sherlock is supposed to be brilliant. If you get one thing slightly wrong and attribute it to him, it takes away from his seeming omnipotence. On the other hand, gently caress, boomerangs do not actually return like that.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Esroc posted:

I get that a lot of people hate the movie because of that scene, and I agree with you that telling your audience to shut and and watch is dumb (unless you're Mastodon at the start of the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie, or Austin Powers) but it's a movie about time travel and like all movies about things that will always be impossible, it's kind of nice to just be entertained.

I thought it was entertaining. They could have left out the bit with "shut up and watch it you idiots who give us money" easily and people would be a lot less offended by it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Phanatic posted:

Well, the time the studio asked them to write an opponent capable of defeating Data Holmes it worked too well and the villain tried escaping out of their text program, so now everything is simplified.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Phanatic posted:

Sherlock Holmes as a character is brilliant and awesome. Most of the actual Holmes stories by Sir Conan Doyle are very fun and well conceived (some duds, not many, but he was literally forced to bring the character back to life for an extra decade or so longer than he intended). They lampshade into what you describe but that is a problem with non-talented people trying to beat their own two dimes out of the character, not 'the problem with Holmes as a character'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Domus posted:

On the one hand, it's easy to gently caress up, because Sherlock is supposed to be brilliant. If you get one thing slightly wrong and attribute it to him, it takes away from his seeming omnipotence. On the other hand, gently caress, boomerangs do not actually return like that.

Returning Boomerang Traditional BIG CIRCLE FLIGHT…: http://youtu.be/4QX6g1oAAgc
Like this?