Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Spakstik posted:

One of the Pope's barons in Rome has set up an Antipope. Since I can't declare war on the Pope to depose the Antipope, do I have to get stabby if I want to pull Catholicism's moral authority out of the shitter?

Are you sure it's the Pope's vassal, and not rather that somebody in the HRE or whatever happened to inherit something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
I found out that if you make a fake claim on Rome if you're Jewish and you invade and conquer, the Pope will just move two counties up. Then if you make a fake claim, invade that, and take it, he just "resides in Rome" and he's kind of un-invadable. His coat of arms goes away from the map and you have to search for him. Also, he will not convert to Judaism.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

dj_clawson posted:

I found out that if you make a fake claim on Rome if you're Jewish and you invade and conquer, the Pope will just move two counties up. Then if you make a fake claim, invade that, and take it, he just "resides in Rome" and he's kind of un-invadable. His coat of arms goes away from the map and you have to search for him. Also, he will not convert to Judaism.

Apparently a lot of events hinge in one way or another on the existence of the Pope (I mean really important ones that govern and direct the whole game), so Paradox made sure there's always a Pope no matter what. If he doesn't have anywhere else, he'll set up shop in Rome, presumably in some dinky little nondescript hut in the suburbs of the city..

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Eric the Mauve posted:

Are you sure it's the Pope's vassal, and not rather that somebody in the HRE or whatever happened to inherit something?

Here's a screenshot:

The Antipope is in the court of the baron of Tusculum, whose direct liege is the Pope. The kid has a claim on the papacy from his father, who was one of the previous popes. Regardless, I'm still stuck in this obnoxious position of not being able to declare war on the Pope to get rid of him while Catholicism's moral authority is at 30 and there's a 30k stack of Waldensians making GBS threads up areas near by borders. I can't depose the other Antipope because he's in Middle Francia, which is a behemoth.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Spakstik posted:

Here's a screenshot:

The Antipope is in the court of the baron of Tusculum, whose direct liege is the Pope. The kid has a claim on the papacy from his father, who was one of the previous popes. Regardless, I'm still stuck in this obnoxious position of not being able to declare war on the Pope to get rid of him while Catholicism's moral authority is at 30 and there's a 30k stack of Waldensians making GBS threads up areas near by borders. I can't depose the other Antipope because he's in Middle Francia, which is a behemoth.

That's not an antipope. The game says it's one, but it's not. It's just a Pope kid, which the game can't handle, because it simply assumes "claim on Papacy = antipope" and when the Pope seduces people or just gets the wrong random event, Catholicism goes down the shitter. Nothing much you can do beyond consoling him out of existence.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Excelzior posted:

don't bother stabbing any cardinals, vassal popes will never refuse your request under any circumstance or excommunicate you at anyone's behest. Their opinion of you in entirely meaningless besides making them throw their pitiful levies behind whichever Independence faction is currently brewing.
I figured from the other replies it's unnecessary, but I'm sortof roleplaying the Borgias (if Alexander was Catalan and briefly the Prince-Bishop of Brittany) at this point so I might as well finish pushing the HRE out. I like that he has terrible learning but OK martial and high intrigue stats.

Since the information I read online was outdated at best, can an emperor-level ruler install an anti-pope bishop to the Papacy or does it have to be a prince-bishop? I happened to have one on hand when I did it, but I wanted to know if bishops work too for future reference.

edit: Maybe try grabbing noble children in wars and educate them?
VVV

future ghost fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 21, 2015

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
So, how often has people's start from Charles the Great gone off the rails. I'm playing as the Duke of Bavaria and to make a long story short Charles the Great took over most of Europe, then promptly went insane and converted to the Lollard religion. At the same time the king of Scotland installed an anti-pope. So for about 80 years, Catholicism's moral authority was down in the 20%. Heresies spurted like weeds, and so I converted to the Cather faith. Sadly I've had little luc kin converting my provinces (thought all of my vassals and most of my courtiers converted).

Meanwhile Europe went to hell, the Lollards were really prolific and sprouted up in a bunch of armed rebellions in areas all over Europe. But in the end, the Scottish anti-pope was disbanded and Catholicism seemed to slowly be reuniting.

Then the King of Lombardy went insane and converted to the Waldensian faith and took his whole court and vassals with him. One generation later and Lombardy took Rome and triggered the rise of all the Crusader Knightly orders in the late 800's, early 900's,.

I'm still Cather and so are my vassals, though none of our provinces have converted (our M.A is only around 15%), but so far I have no worries for a holy war since I'm a vassal of the King of Bavaria, who is conveniently waaaay less powerful than me, but is still a catholic lord, so I've avoided the stream of Hole Wars so far.

In the meantime though, any advise for how to raise the MA of my own brand of heresy?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

In the meantime though, any advise for how to raise the MA of my own brand of heresy?

Build churches, win holy wars. If you convert enough provinces, Catholicism becomes a Cathar heresy and all the holy orders join the one true faith.

It's a shame that there are only two interesting Catholic heresies: Cathar (which gives you Absolute Cognatic succession and female bishops/generals) and Fraticelli (which can install its own Crusade-calling Pope when you conquer Rome). Lollards and Waldensians have gently caress-all.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

TheMcD posted:

That's not an antipope. The game says it's one, but it's not. It's just a Pope kid, which the game can't handle, because it simply assumes "claim on Papacy = antipope" and when the Pope seduces people or just gets the wrong random event, Catholicism goes down the shitter. Nothing much you can do beyond consoling him out of existence.

Bummer. I think I'll just roll with it. The Waldensians ended up being a boon for me since I was able to holy war them immediately after their uprising finished, which me install Irish merchant lords in the inland parts of England and furthered my campaign of ethnic cleansing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'm sure I've asked this before, but why can't I form the HRE? I control 64/67 counties, I control two Kingdoms and I'm Catholic.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

TheMcD posted:

This isn't true.

Do what I did and invite the Pope in Rome anti-pope to your court and then have them drink the naughty wine. Your whole court will be behind the plot and MA will be back to 100% in no time.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I have a bit of a problem in my current game. I'm playing as the empire of Athens (shattered balance start in the HIP mod) and I snaked my way to Antioch. After some wars I got my hands on Jerusalem as well, but it was a landlocked county. I converted it to Orthodoxy to fire the event that spawns the Holy Order for orthodox rulers (The Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre) and gave Jerusalem to them because I assumed a Holy Order would be better at defending it than I would, as my ruler was old and about to kick it anyway. A few years later my emperor did in fact die and I had to whack about half of my empire because the independence faction instantly fired its ultimatum upon my ascension to the throne. Once I was done with that and stabilized my empire, I noticed Jerusalem got reconquered by some Caliph whose name eludes me.

My question now is, however: this guy conquered the Holy Order and got a claim on it. As a matter of fact, the Orthodox Holy Order now has a Sunni grandmaster and I can no longer recruit them because "they are our enemies!" How can I boot this guy out? Would just reconquering Jerusalem do? Is there some way to disband and reform the order? I'm kinda annoyed at some Sunni dude hi-jacking the Order if it means it's lost forever.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Jedit posted:

I'm sure I've asked this before, but why can't I form the HRE? I control 64/67 counties, I control two Kingdoms and I'm Catholic.

you can ONLY create the HRE through decision now, and the requirements depend if you started in Charlemagne or 867+

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Coward posted:

This isn't true.

Do what I did and invite the Pope in Rome anti-pope to your court and then have them drink the naughty wine. Your whole court will be behind the plot and MA will be back to 100% in no time.

His successor will be a new antipope though.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

chippocrates posted:

His successor will be a new antipope though.

Didn't happen in my game. Looking back on it, I'm not quite sure why, but killing the anti-pope in my court prevented any succession.

Edit: Just for information, I was playing vanilla with all DLC bar Charlemagne, shortly before Way of Life was announced.

Coward fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 21, 2015

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
So I'm playing my first real game and playing in ireland. I'm trying to "inherit" Urmhumhain by killing off all the heirs after the the last claimant died fighting a war with me when I revoked his title. Unfortunately, he had a lot of children, so I am killing a lot of kids to claim this county. Only one more left. I just need to kill this one last 1 year old "countess" and I shall own it!

This game is amazing.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

ninjahedgehog posted:

Build churches, win holy wars. If you convert enough provinces, Catholicism becomes a Cathar heresy and all the holy orders join the one true faith.

It's a shame that there are only two interesting Catholic heresies: Cathar (which gives you Absolute Cognatic succession and female bishops/generals) and Fraticelli (which can install its own Crusade-calling Pope when you conquer Rome). Lollards and Waldensians have gently caress-all.

Isn't this the case with most of the heresies in the game, regardless of religion? Beyond a roleplaying standpoint, there's little point to the Zikri or Samaritans.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
What prompts the Papacy to launch a crusade against Muslim Spain? It's about 980 and we've already had two crusades: one for Aquitaine and one for Saxony. The Umayyads control all of Spain, but their military strength is currently shattered due to wars/rebellions- they can call up just over 2000 men out of 20,000. If we launched a Crusade right now we could run them out of Europe no problem but if they build up again they're going to continue being a serious threat. If there's some way to convince the Pope into calling Christendom down on their asses, it would save Europe a lot of pain later.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

QuoProQuid posted:

Isn't this the case with most of the heresies in the game, regardless of religion? Beyond a roleplaying standpoint, there's little point to the Zikri or Samaritans.

Come to think of it, yeah. Except for the Messalians, a Nestorian heresy which is basically the same as Cathar but with more incest. Also they worship Satan.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, why do my vassals get all the cool nicknames?

Me:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm defending against a Abbasid Jihad. I was doing very well for quite some time but then out of nowhere they suddenly had twice as many men. The war score is now around -30 after having been around 50. I'll probably lose which is strange because the enemy leader is a prisoner of one of my vassals but that doesn't seem to change anything.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

What prompts the Papacy to launch a crusade against Muslim Spain? It's about 980 and we've already had two crusades: one for Aquitaine and one for Saxony. The Umayyads control all of Spain, but their military strength is currently shattered due to wars/rebellions- they can call up just over 2000 men out of 20,000. If we launched a Crusade right now we could run them out of Europe no problem but if they build up again they're going to continue being a serious threat. If there's some way to convince the Pope into calling Christendom down on their asses, it would save Europe a lot of pain later.

There's a hidden weight system in the game that determines where a Crusade is directed. Jerusalem and Egypt are the most frequent targets, unless Italy, Germany, or France have fallen. The Spanish Kingdoms are given relatively low precedence, so it's a matter of luck more than anything else.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 21, 2015

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Broken Cog posted:

Me:

You can be the biggest badass in the world, but just because you got Hedonist to get more children, you'll always be stuck with "The Fat". Nicknames are kind of poo poo sometimes.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'm defending against a Abbasid Jihad. I was doing very well for quite some time but then out of nowhere they suddenly had twice as many men. The war score is now around -30 after having been around 50. I'll probably lose which is strange because the enemy leader is a prisoner of one of my vassals but that doesn't seem to change anything.

Jihads (and Crusades/Great Holy Wars) tend to punch way above their weight because not only can the top-level liege bring his realm levies, but every vassal who decides to join up gets to bring their personal levies too. Basically, it's the only kind of war where your vassals can also be your allies.

Also, isn't there a decision to order your vassals to transfer important prisoners to you, or is that just a HIP thing? Either way you'd think if the Count of Buttfuckia all of a sudden had the Caliph in his dungeon he would do something about it.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 21, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

ninjahedgehog posted:

Jihads (and Crusades/Great Holy Wars) tend to punch way above their weight because not only can the top-level liege bring his realm levies, but every vassal who decides to join up gets to bring their personal levies too. Basically, it's the only kind of war where your vassals can also be your allies.

Also, isn't there a decision to order your vassals to transfer important prisoners to you, or is that just a HIP thing? Either way you'd think if the Count of Buttfuckia all of a sudden had the Caliph in his dungeon he would do something about it.

Request, Buy, or Sell prisoner should definitely be a thing.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Sucrose posted:

Why am I able to declare war on the Petty King of Austergautland or whatever when his son is betrothed to my daughter? When I mouse over the "Declare War" tooltip, it has "No betrothals to close relatives" as green, even though there obviously is one. Does it not count when both members of the betrothal are minors or something?

It wouldn't bother me, except that means he can presumably declare war on me, and keeping him from doing that was the whole reason for the betrothal.

Anybody had this problem? I'm tribal Germanic, if it makes a difference.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Me:

It didn't stop Timur, why should it stop you?

E: looking at those titles, it hasn't

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Sucrose posted:

Anybody had this problem? I'm tribal Germanic, if it makes a difference.

I've never been in that situation but could it mean that only the character you are declaring war on specifically can't be betrothed to a close relative?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm getting WoL on Friday! :woop: Gonna try and make a Shia merchant republic from that tribal duchy in NW Africa in which I duel the poo poo out of all my decadent relatives.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

QuoProQuid posted:

There's a hidden weight system in the game that determines where a Crusade is directed. Jerusalem and Egypt are the most frequent targets, unless Italy, Germany, or France have fallen. The Spanish Kingdoms are given relatively low precedence, so it's a matter of luck more than anything else.

I'm a Jew running the Arabian Empire, it's 1062 and I've had three crusaders called against me by the Pope (for "Greece") and one by Slavic pagans (for "Bulgaria").

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

dj_clawson posted:

I'm a Jew running the Arabian Empire, it's 1062

Did you start in Semien or use the character creator?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

dj_clawson posted:

I'm a Jew running the Arabian Empire, it's 1062 and I've had three crusaders called against me by the Pope (for "Greece") and one by Slavic pagans (for "Bulgaria").

I think specific locations have different weights depending on what religion controls them. Jerusalem and Egypt consistently rank high on the list, but other regions can become more attractive targets depending on what religion controls them. Minor religions don't usually get in a position to become Crusade targets without player interference.

Just checked the Wiki, and it looks like I was misremembering. Here are the weights for each Crusade target:

Italy: 10,000
Lotharingia: 5,000
Germany: 5,000
France: 5,000
Aquitaine: 5,000
Burgundy: 5,000
Saxony: 3,000
Bavaria: 2,000
Greece: 2,000
Jerusalem: 500
Sicily: 500
Hungary: 500
Pomerania: 400
Bohemia: 400
Brittany: 300
England: 300
Wales: 300
Scotland: 300
Aragon: 250
Castile: 250
Portugal: 250
Galicia: 250
Asturias: 250

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 21, 2015

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Did you start in Semien or use the character creator?

Character creator on head of the Abbasid Empire.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Is it still possible to create a merchant republic papacy? I created one back in the day by giving an unlanded pope a coastal city as his only holding. Since the papacy is a king level title it made that county independent (since I was a king myself) and turned it into a merchant republic.

It even used all the normal merchant Republic succession laws and the Pope got all that mad bishop money to build trading ports.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is it still possible to create a merchant republic papacy? I created one back in the day by giving an unlanded pope a coastal city as his only holding. Since the papacy is a king level title it made that county independent (since I was a king myself) and turned it into a merchant republic.

It even used all the normal merchant Republic succession laws and the Pope got all that mad bishop money to build trading ports.

Should be possible through the same mechanic. If you first make the Pope your vassal before unlanding him, you'll get the extra ducats from his :10bux:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What titles do I get using the Invasion CB you can get from the Pope? Anything in the realm, or only counties where I occupy the top-level title?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

What titles do I get using the Invasion CB you can get from the Pope? Anything in the realm, or only counties where I occupy the top-level title?

You take or vassalize any titles held by the lord of the realm targeted (so his vassals De Jure in that title become your vassals, and any land he personally holds that belongs De Jure in that title is yours) and you also gain any county occupied, no matter where it is.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I posted about this a while ago, but it happened again: I try to duel my rival and the game CTD's as soon as I click Let's do this. I posted the savegame and report in the paradox forum and the dude who responded said it was because I was at war and shouldn't have been able to duel in the first place. Well, I just tried again and this time I was definitely NOT at war. Same thing, CTD. Anybody else had this problem?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Game has been especially crashy for me since installing Way of Life. I think I've CTD maybe 5 or 6 times already. Before that I can't really recall ever crashing at all. On the place side, most of the crash revert me back to time before some disasters happen, so....yay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
There's been some weird issues with the autosaving since WoL was released for me. The game will stop responding (As in the mouse symbol will change to the Windows "working" one), and if you click while it's saving there's a high chance it'll CTD.

• Locked thread