Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
insert_funny
Jan 5, 2013

I can never have plastic surgery, because I don't feel like chipping in another five bucks to change the picture.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Who won the Drew Carey/Margaret Cho night? My DVR cut that one off because of the long final Colbert.

Cho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
And there's an extended/uncensored version up too!

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

And she would have been eliminated too, had Chris not saved her.

Maybe they should go ahead and drop that part. Ever since New York, it feels like he's done it at least once a week.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

OmegaBR posted:

And she would have been eliminated too, had Chris not saved her.

Maybe they should go ahead and drop that part. Ever since New York, it feels like he's done it at least once a week.

I've always felt it was unnecessary since the beginning of the show. The show takes a Whose Line approach to points until one arbitrary point where they do, and then they get wiped clean. It's like they're really attached to the artifice of the game show format.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Mo0 posted:

I've always felt it was unnecessary since the beginning of the show. The show takes a Whose Line approach to points until one arbitrary point where they do, and then they get wiped clean. It's like they're really attached to the artifice of the game show format.

I don't hate the format, but clearly they have more fun when they get to keep every person, and with Chris ignoring it so frequently, y'know.

Maybe instead, whoever has the least points could decide which of the other two's final answer is the best. Although that would take away from the audience aspect.

I still think they should bring back the Golden Lifesaver from Singled Out and he gets to save one contestant a week/month or something.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

OmegaBR posted:

I don't hate the format, but clearly they have more fun when they get to keep every person, and with Chris ignoring it so frequently, y'know.

Maybe instead, whoever has the least points could decide which of the other two's final answer is the best. Although that would take away from the audience aspect.

I still think they should bring back the Golden Lifesaver from Singled Out and he gets to save one contestant a week/month or something.

I support keeping the pre-final round elimination for a couple of reasons:

- Often the reaction to the elimination is funnier than the winning submission in the final round.
- On the rare occasions that someone has been comedic dead weight, it was gratifying to see them sent away. (Seems to happen mostly in the "promo a movie" shows where it might be three actors instead of three comedians.)
- I think it's not so much that keeping every person means having more fun, than they had so much fun they kept every person.

Either way, as long as they keep having funny people on to say funny things, I'll keep watching regardless of the format.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Who won the Drew Carey/Margaret Cho night? My DVR cut that one off because of the long final Colbert.

Cho won. And she didn't do so by writing $1 as her answer.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

EricFate posted:

That might be the single greatest answer in that game.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

EricFate posted:

Who did that? Going to guess Rhys on that one.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Anals of History posted:

That was Blaine Capatch. He also beat Patton Oswalt in the final round.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Anals of History posted:

It was actually Blaine Capatch, coincidentally the third person on this episode too.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

rypakal posted:

Well I was mostly joking since I know Matt has talked about writing on this show. But yeah PFTs blooper seemed like a failure of a prepared line. Also Cho kept looking at notecards :)

But I do assume the guests write their own poo poo just like the rest of you. The voices are too unique.

I was previously under the impression it was actual improv, but I've been listening to this episode of "Do You Need a Ride?" (http://allthingscomedy.com/contents/6769/48-ep33-jordan-morris-podcast) and Morris is one of the writers. He mentioned that they write the jokes ahead of time but that some comedians also make stuff up. Now that I've gone back and watch part of an episodes it does seem that the comedians reference their podiums where I assume they can see the answers available.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

And regarding the points, you'll often notice that the points given out on the live challenge are almost always distributed to closely even out the scores ("1000, 500, 250")

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Huh, guess there's no thread for the new year.

Speaking of which, nothing like some Funches to break in the new set :3:

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

I thought it was a New York repeat at first.

To be honest, the new set seems unnecessary. I kinda liked the coziness of the old one.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

OmegaBR posted:

I thought it was a New York repeat at first.

To be honest, the new set seems unnecessary. I kinda liked the coziness of the old one.

To be honest, I think CC is starting to eye it as a "Plan B" if The Nightly Show doesn't live up to expectations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

404GoonNotFound posted:

To be honest, I think CC is starting to eye it as a "Plan B" if The Nightly Show doesn't live up to expectations.

Good.

I mean I'm rooting for The Nightly Show, I want it to be good, but @Midnight makes a good plan B instead of being shackled to Colbert so hard like it was.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

404GoonNotFound posted:

Huh, guess there's no thread for the new year.

Speaking of which, nothing like some Funches to break in the new set :3:

His joy over getting the fake severed head was great.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Maxwell Lord posted:

His joy over getting the fake severed head was great.

It's just what he wanted!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
And Funches dominates, which is good and right and just.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Davros1 posted:

And regarding the points, you'll often notice that the points given out on the live challenge are almost always distributed to closely even out the scores ("1000, 500, 250")

Or he gives everyone 1000 points which is the same as if he gave everyone 0 points

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Except tonight he stiffed jon Daly, who had the least funny answer. There's other ways for score wonkery - he generally tends to give points to the funnier answers.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Orange you glad I didn't kill you while you sleeping?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Paget Brewster is the most adorable person.

Sair
May 11, 2007

This Price Is Right thing is not very good. It's too slow if nothing else.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

ShakeZula posted:

Paget Brewster is the most adorable person.

I think her answer during "Take Back The Nightmare" has earned her a permanent spot on the re-invitation list.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Oof, they must really be running low on viable HashtagWars themes. This pun one was the worst I can remember.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
The body language between Maron & Hodgman was great in this episode. They seemed liked old friends. It made me feel bad for Kirkman though! Funny stuff.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Last night's episode was really good. Some amazing examples of malapropism there.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

The last episode that Hodgman was on before this got me into his Judge John Hodgman podcast. The podcast is certainly worth your attention if you like what little bit of him you see on the show.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh Chris :allears:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Chris' rant at the beginning :swoon:

Holy poo poo, I wish he was a contestant on his own show.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"I'm sorry, Zooey Deschanel is pregnant? Who's the ukelele?!"

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Pete Holmes: 8 foot tall slightly effete champion of our hearts.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I like Patton Oswalt, has he been doing any stuff lately? or does he just spend most of his time relaxing in the shire these days?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 21, 2015

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He has a recurring guest role on Agents of SHIELD, that's something.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I like Patton Oswalt, has he been doing any stuff lately? or does he just spend most of his time relaxing in the shire these days?

Well, he did just have a book come out. He has some book signings and stand-up shows listed on his website.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

He's the narrator on "The Goldbergs" and he has recurring characters on justified and two and a half men I believe. He pops up in all kinds of places you wouldn't really expect.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

I adore Grace Helbig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

He does a (monthly, I think?) show at Largo in Hollywood. I've been meaning to see it, since I go to the Thrilling Adventure Hour fairly regularly.

• Locked thread