Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
the voip program by dolby is good because it provides surround-sound capabilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

teamspeak really does work the best since i've used and admin'd all three a bunch but idk why everyone hates it and gets it confused with ventrillo

Third World Reggin posted:

mumble is what most people use that I've found, but it has lovely voice equalization

also the overlay tends to break a lot for some people

THE PENETRATOR posted:

mumble is garbage. mumble is trash for idiots. team speak is good

Kazvall posted:

time to go against the grain and state that mumble is awesome and teamspeak sucks

ventrillo is just okay

well i guess its one of those 2 then. thanks all

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
TBH they are all OK, but ventrillo has those stupid loving icons instead of text buttons or anything like that.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Just use whatever and run both if you have to. Like setup more than one push to talk key or mute yourself, it's not that hard.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

TBH they are all OK, but ventrillo has those stupid loving icons instead of text buttons or anything like that.

:agreed:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BERGfu posted:

Just use whatever and run both if you have to. Like setup more than one push to talk key or mute yourself, it's not that hard.

Voice activation is superior. :smuggo:

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
TS and Mumble both do what they're supposed to do for me but I'm only a user so I don't know if they're a pain to setup as a server owner.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
mumble is retardedly simple but i've never adminned a TS server

all i can tell you is that i get 500x better quality out of mumble as opposed to TS, TS servers loving constantly have that one rear end in a top hat that sounds like he's in a washing machine and he insists there's nothing he can do about it. you occasionally get it in mumble as well but when you bitch at the guy he can just reset his audio input and it works again.

also the latency is noticeably lower when playing stuff like UT/quake where milliseconds matter. but i suppose if all you do is play garbage MMOs you won't notice a difference.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that happens because the server owner is a cheap bastard and has the channel bandwidth turned down extremely low. same thing happens in mumble but the mumble defaults are higher so most people never notice.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
it def happens with server bandwidth at reasonable levels. interfacing with mics is legit a hard programming problem and any of a billion things can go wrong - it's not like the TS devs are idiots or anything but mumble just plain and simple handles mics pickup better.

Dec 26, 2012

BERGfu posted:

yeah ill just use one and if it fucks up in some unfixable way ill just use the other. ive just never used any before so it seemed worth asking before i start messing with some clearly outdated poo poo or w/e

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

Voice activation is superior. :smuggo:

haha you joker, I'm going to end up hearing you breathing or your dog barking in the background.

BERGfu fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 20, 2015

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
lol if u enable voice activation but dont set the threshold high enough that it cant pick up your heavy fat breath

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

wahts your name omn steam

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW

THE PENETRATOR posted:

wahts your name omn steam

http://steamcommunity.com/id/haldll

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

ok i added you and i will NOT put you in my "byob" section which i am slowly deleting and cutting off all contact with

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW

THE PENETRATOR posted:

ok i added you and i will NOT put you in my "byob" section which i am slowly deleting and cutting off all contact with

i am doing the same as that is a sad forum, i need to remove this gangtag

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
im considering if i should leave windmillslayer as an ironic byob friend add or should remove him HER

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
um he's the biggest sperg, nuke him

Dec 26, 2012

Wootman posted:

i am doing the same as that is a sad forum, i need to remove this gangtag

ask an admin/mod to do it, usually theyre down

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
i would pm one of them if i had plat but i don't, maybe a imp mod can help? or I can message a mod on steam.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i'd buy you a new av, if i didn't buy two avs for my self

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
Thanks for the offer 💏

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
I don't want to play with Games people, do people play csgo in here?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rear end posted:

I don't want to play with Games people, do people play csgo in here?

i play it sometimes. i havent played in a while. i like to played the ranked queue or w.e because it's the easiest way to find a 5v5 match but casual can be fun too.

really wish they'd just make an unranked competitive queue or something.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Sadly I burnt out on CS like 20 years ago playing real maps like jeepathon/supercrazycar/leetskeet and speedball.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

When you've lanned in a room with like 30 dudes all playing CS on a dedicated server, busting out sick verbal owns and spilling fountain soda all over the floor it's hard to go to some solitary boring rear end wait fest alone in my room.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kazvall posted:

When you've lanned in a room with like 30 dudes all playing CS on a dedicated server, busting out sick verbal owns and spilling fountain soda all over the floor it's hard to go to some solitary boring rear end wait fest alone in my room.

I used to play competetive CS:S over my brand new cable internet connection back in 2006 or so. I thought I was a badass until it was my team's third or fourth tournament where we got absolutely annihilated in the qualifiers or the first round or whatever. We never even were eligible to enter a tournament with more than a $50 prize pool or so, let alone one with a physical LAN for matches.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

I used to play competetive CS:S over my brand new cable internet connection back in 2006 or so. I thought I was a badass until it was my team's third or fourth tournament where we got absolutely annihilated in the qualifiers or the first round or whatever. We never even were eligible to enter a tournament with more than a $50 prize pool or so, let alone one with a physical LAN for matches.

Yeah I only ever did competitive DoD on Cal. I just worked at a LAN cafe for awhile during my late teens.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Larry Parrish posted:

i play it sometimes. i havent played in a while. i like to played the ranked queue or w.e because it's the easiest way to find a 5v5 match but casual can be fun too.

really wish they'd just make an unranked competitive queue or something.

Yeah unranked competitive would be godly. I used to be gold nova something then I played 3 consecutive rounds with hackers on the other team and deranked to silver.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rear end posted:

Yeah unranked competitive would be godly. I used to be gold nova something then I played 3 consecutive rounds with hackers on the other team and deranked to silver.

The idea of hacking, in a multiplayer FPS, is preposterous. What's the point of playing if the tool is doing it for you.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Can someone tell me why the nintendo 2DS exists?

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW

Kazvall posted:

Idk but I don't question it since I got mine for 40 dollars.

Dec 26, 2012

Kazvall posted:

its noticeably more expensive to manufacture and support a 3ds

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

01011001 posted:

its noticeably more expensive to manufacture and support a 3ds

what makes the 2ds better than the DSI then? looks to be about the same price

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
the dsi doesn't play 3ds games

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Kazvall posted:

what makes the 2ds better than the DSI then? looks to be about the same price

the dsi is an already obsolete piece of hardware. the 2ds is an about-to-be obsolete piece of hardware.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

THE PENETRATOR posted:

the dsi doesn't play 3ds games

Ah thank you

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Nintendo is loving convoluted when it comes to handhelds, it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
It's not hard to get, don't be a tard.