Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tiggum posted:

Although speaking of graphics settings, I never know what to set them to anyway. I don't even know what most of them do. Will checking this box make a noticeable difference to how the game looks? Will it make a noticeable difference to how the game runs? :iiam:

I have this problem with a lot of games. It might just have been growing up with NES and SNES games and just never really developing whatever it is that makes some people care super hard about graphics. But I usually just don't get that fussed about the graphics until it starts impacting gameplay. Which becomes a hassle when I have to mess with settings due to bugs or other issues. In some games twitching the ultra refracted shadows slider up a notch might do absolutely nothing visually, but it might cause the game to chug and then crash any time I look at a mountain. Then they never seem to have the settings I actually want. I hate it when a game doesn't let me turn off motion blur or screen shake, or as was the case with fallout 3/NV disable the annoying color filters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Man
Mar 31, 2006

The Moon, for Christ's Sake
I'm enjoying Bound by Flame. However, a complaint that I have is the fact that the enemies always take so long to kill. I'm not saying it should be easy and I like the games attempt to make the enemies always feel threatening.

however, I'm allowing the demon inside me to take over and gain in power so that I can become super badass and kill my enemies. I am a good way in to the game and I really don't feel powerful at all considering I still have to set my sword on fire and power up every fight just to make every encounter go smoothly.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Moon Man posted:

I'm enjoying Bound by Flame. However, a complaint that I have is the fact that the enemies always take so long to kill. I'm not saying it should be easy and I like the games attempt to make the enemies always feel threatening.

however, I'm allowing the demon inside me to take over and gain in power so that I can become super badass and kill my enemies. I am a good way in to the game and I really don't feel powerful at all considering I still have to set my sword on fire and power up every fight just to make every encounter go smoothly.

Bound by Flame was cheesy enough for me to enjoy it, but the enemies ended up hitting so hard I decided to stop bothering - literally the first encounter outside the tutorial dungeon was easily enough to wipe my party in a few hits and I didn't really seem to be able to prevent that other than meticulously monitor positioning and abilities used, which turned out not so fun, especially since - due to the opponents' strength - some of the abilities turned out virtually useless, like all of the two-handed sword skills, which made me stand closer to the enemy and die because of that.

Szurumbur has a new favorite as of 10:31 on Jan 20, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

khwarezm posted:

One of the ideas around Fez seems to be that solving puzzles like that by just changing the clock is perfectly viable and isn't somehow wrong. A bunch of the puzzles require you to look and work outside the actual gameworld itself, like the Qr codes. In addition some of them probably won't be worked out without consulting outside help on a forum or a guide, so the game actually incorporates that very process into the puzzles themselves. this video has a lot of spoilers but it explains it better than I could:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iefXGaaVERg

Its very meta I suppose but it is quite original, I like the idea of a game that doesn't have any illusions of being a completely immersive experience divorced from the rest of the world, instead it incorporates the computer you are using or the controller or your mobile or the internet in really interesting ways.

This is a completely valid view. I guess I'm a little more bothered since I came into the game more for the platforming than anything.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Tiggum posted:

I would include any settings that can't be changed mid-game.

I'll give leeway to some settings, especially graphics ones. I imagine there's some sort of technical issue around "restarting the game engine" or whatnot that requires the game to restart.

But I'll agree that there's plenty of settings that shouldn't require a game/level/mission restart.

And in that same vein, changing system settings on the PS3 is a total crapshoot as to whether you'd have to exit the game. It really was a piss-poorly designed OS< at least compared to the X-Box, which, to someone who never owned one, seemed like it was better at "multi-tasking"and letting you do XYZ while the game was just paused in the background.

Thankfully, the PS4 is better about this, but then poo poo about other things...like how it's impossible to put any sort of organization to your games/apps. If it's not one of the recently used ones, you've got to scroll all the way to the right in the interface for the library, then open up and scroll through the whole drat library.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Speaking of game options dragging this game down:

Can developers hold some sort of international summit and decide once and for all where the gently caress to put the subtitle button? I don't care is it's under gameplay, graphics, or sound, just find a place to put it and keep it there.

It's annoying enough that it's never on by default, but I'm picking my battles here.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ninjahedgehog posted:

Speaking of game options dragging this game down:

Can developers hold some sort of international summit and decide once and for all where the gently caress to put the subtitle button? I don't care is it's under gameplay, graphics, or sound, just find a place to put it and keep it there.

It's annoying enough that it's never on by default, but I'm picking my battles here.

This is a little bit like finding where the saves are stored on a PC game. Is it in Documents? Some random hidden folder in .appdata behind piles of folders with gibberish names? Actually in the steamapps data for the game next to the executable because that makes sense? A folder created for the publisher in Documents that is then never actually used for any of their other games?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Going into the graphics setting and having some options progress from "Low > High", other go "Low > Medium > High", and one or two go "Low > Medium > High > Very High" with no way of knowing aside from messing with every single setting.

Also it's the year 2015, at the very least your game should auto-detect the native resolution the first time you run it.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Sleeveless posted:

Also it's the year 2015, at the very least your game should auto-detect the native resolution the first time you run it.

I and many others have pretty anemic PCs as far as current-gen games are concerned, and I really don't want to run everything as a 1080p slideshow.

That said, I am usually just pretty unhappy overall with what most games automatically guess are the graphics settings my system wants, so that's certainly a thing.

Even bigger thing: games with graphics or performance options that can be adjusted, but only by hand-editting a .ini file somewhere. Everything that can be adjusted should be available to be adjusted, or should at the very goddamn least be documented somewhere so that it can be adjusted.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ArcMage posted:

I and many others have pretty anemic PCs as far as current-gen games are concerned, and I really don't want to run everything as a 1080p slideshow.

Then turn it down? It would just be nice for the menus not to start out at 1024x768 in 2015.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

carry on then posted:

Then turn it down? It would just be nice for the menus not to start out at 1024x768 in 2015.

Well, that was basically the exact second thing I was going to say before I forgot what I was writing and wrote that stuff instead, so, uh, put me down for total agreement here I guess.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I will say I'm glad what Star Wars Battlefront II did never caught on: regardless of what resolution you set the game to, the menus were hard locked to 800x600.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
While we're at it, can we also ask that every game has a Windowed Fullscreen option and has it enabled by default?

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Gestalt Intellect posted:

This is a little bit like finding where the saves are stored on a PC game. Is it in Documents? Some random hidden folder in .appdata behind piles of folders with gibberish names? Actually in the steamapps data for the game next to the executable because that makes sense? A folder created for the publisher in Documents that is then never actually used for any of their other games?
The more aggravating part is that this problem is solvable. Windows has a special folder set designated for saved games, the user can relocate it to wherever they want, and games can ask Windows where that folder is. But because this feature was introduced in Vista, nobody uses it. I have a single game that does: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. Even Revelations, a game in the same franchise by the same publisher that was released in the same year doesn't use it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RyokoTK posted:

While we're at it, can we also ask that every game has a Windowed Fullscreen option and has it enabled by default?

I've never understood why people want this. What's the actual advantage?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Tiggum posted:

In my experience, it makes alt-tabbing easier, and seems to have a much lower chance of crashing.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Tiggum posted:

It doesn't require Windows to change resolution settings, it just upscales the designated resolution to display on your monitors. So alt-tabbing out of the program doesn't require a major resolution change, it just swaps to the programs loaded in the background at their native resolution

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
Then again, running a game windowed might decrease performance.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is immensely irritating because you have a selection of 9 different characters to party with, but you can only ever have two of them with you (this is also a problem that plagues every Bioware game post Baldurs Gate II). In this game your main character is a Jedi, meaning you mainly focus on force powers and lightsabers, leaving you to pretty much have to choose Mission or a the R2 guy as one of the slots so that they can disarm traps, unlock boxes and hack computers. Effectively you then have one slot to fill. I have played the game a few times and literally never used Juhani, Carth or Zallbaar because they are not quite as interesting as other characters. I am glad larger party isometric style RPGs are making a small comeback.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Catpain Slack posted:

Then again, running a game windowed might decrease performance.
A lot of games I seem to play just. loving. hate. irc flashing for attention in the task bar. I'll get a message so it will flash and the game will start to drop frames all over. I think a lot of Unity engine games hate that but a handful of other things do too for no good reason :shrug:

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

mitochondritom posted:

Playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is immensely irritating because you have a selection of 9 different characters to party with, but you can only ever have two of them with you (this is also a problem that plagues every Bioware game post Baldurs Gate II). In this game your main character is a Jedi, meaning you mainly focus on force powers and lightsabers, leaving you to pretty much have to choose Mission or a the R2 guy as one of the slots so that they can disarm traps, unlock boxes and hack computers. Effectively you then have one slot to fill. I have played the game a few times and literally never used Juhani, Carth or Zallbaar because they are not quite as interesting as other characters. I am glad larger party isometric style RPGs are making a small comeback.

If you are a scout this isn't really an issue since Taris gives you a lot of time to build up lockpicking and poo poo.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Tiggum posted:

Although speaking of graphics settings, I never know what to set them to anyway. I don't even know what most of them do. Will checking this box make a noticeable difference to how the game looks? Will it make a noticeable difference to how the game runs? :iiam:
A bunch of more recent games seem to give you basic tooltips ("makes the game look better but might lower the framerate" etc) which is nice.

Masiakasaurus
Oct 11, 2012

MrJacobs posted:

If you are a scout this isn't really an issue since Taris gives you a lot of time to build up lockpicking and poo poo.

You also don't need to unlock boxes in the first game because you can just bash them with your lightsaber to open them.

The second game made this give you a chance of trashing the item inside though so Security is a useful skill again.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

Arkham Asylum and City operate in the same way the censored dubs of Dragonball Z did, even if you get hurled into space, or blown into a billion pieces, you are only knocked out, or sent to another dimension, but never killed!

Batman is secretly Goku.

:nolan:
:goku:

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

MrJacobs posted:

Well that would be fine if I wanted to be a scout, but that doesn't really fix the problem. If anything the issue for me is more about having 10 NPC companions and 2 slots to choose from. Bioware touts its indepth characters and wants you to be invested in their stories, but if 80% of them are relegated to being talking bobble heads onboard the Ebon Hawke, then that illusion can never be maintained. I literally have only ever spoken to Zallbar to get him to give me grenades.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Then just take him out on a mission and don't worry about unlocking and hacking stuff.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I kind of agree with him. I hate having to trade between functional characters and interesting characters in games like that.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

MrJacobs posted:

Unless you do what a lot of people do, and NEVER level up on Tarsis.

Yeah, you end up save-scumming a lot because you are only at level 2 (since they force you to level up once on the ship, I believe,) and have poo poo for HP, but then once you get your Jedi training, you have like 3 or 4 extra levels that are now all Jedi levels, so you get even more sweet, sweet force powers.

Also, always choose the Jedi class that gets you more force powers (Guardian?), and then have your 2 extra be Jolee, because an old, crotchety Jedi constantly telling you how stuck up and full of poo poo the Jedi Council is is always a welcome addition, and then I guess HK-47 for the comedy option, or the Mandalorian guy for the rear end-kicking option...or Juhani if you want some rear end-kicking and even more Jedi action.

Or maybe Bastilla? I dunno, I usually rolled with 3 Jedi since they always tended to be more overpowered than non-Jedi.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

mitochondritom posted:

If you pick Soldier followed by Guardian when you reach the enclave in every single one of your playthroughs then yes, you're doomed to 1 utility party-member at all times. In pretty much all other situations, no. I mean for fucks sake my last playthrough was a dual-pistelero scoundrel main character, Canderous and loving melee Carth. Plus, the game is easy as balls after the first play through so really you're the one arbitrarily limiting yourself, it isn't necessarily a fault of the system.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

mitochondritom posted:

Well that would be fine if I wanted to be a scout, but that doesn't really fix the problem. If anything the issue for me is more about having 10 NPC companions and 2 slots to choose from. Bioware touts its indepth characters and wants you to be invested in their stories, but if 80% of them are relegated to being talking bobble heads onboard the Ebon Hawke, then that illusion can never be maintained. I literally have only ever spoken to Zallbar to get him to give me grenades.

This is actually an issue that Bioware has had in almost every single one of their games: If you don't make your character a Rogue (or the setting equivalent) then you're forced to carry around whatever one they give you.

I think Mass Effect is the only exception, because locks are determined by minigames.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If there's one thing KOTOR 2 did right, it was putting the group scenes and banter inside the Ebon Hawke.

Both games have a problem with scaling. By level 10 there's no point chucking a grenade at someone when a lightsaber does the job twice as well with no cost, the alignment penalty for force-powers scarcely matters when you're rolling in FP, Heal magic renders Treat Injury useless, Intelligence is miscalculated in that it gives you SFA in skill points, and Flurry and Rapid Shot work wonders on every single foe.

I like the idea of a greatly streamlined D&D that's console-friendly but the KOTOR system really falls apart the more you play.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If there's one thing KOTOR 2 did right, it was putting the group scenes and banter inside the Ebon Hawke.

It did lead to a bizarre bit in the Exile's life where they marched out to go save the universe only to instantly duck back into the Ebon Hawke to eavesdrop on their crew's conversations 14 times in a row, but it was definitely as better approach, yes.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Even better was that Exile's entire crew loving hated one another. The only ones who didn't were the robots and Bao Dur (as in the robots to Bao, the robots hated eachother)

My downside for KOTOR 2: A game with great writing for your companions and Bao Dur is just completely forgotten about past his introduction. You can turn him into a jedi which feels completely unexpected and in the end he.. I guess dies? I don't know, he is never heard from again. Though that can be said about the rest of the crew, minus Mira

VVV That too, it being unfinished. loving Christmas release dates, I feel sorry for Obsidian, they're constantly getting shafted (See New Vegas)

Leal has a new favorite as of 18:35 on Jan 21, 2015

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
The completion mod fleshes out what happens to your crew a lot better. Especially if you went forward to train some of them into being Jedi.

Thing really dragging Kotor 2 down: Literally unfinished.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I can scarcely remember Kotor 2 except for that really dark bit where it turns out the resident Han-Solo type Atton Rand (Har har) used to torture and murder people. The other companions blended in together: Kreia, Visas and Handmaiden all wore hoods and the first two are both blind, Goto was redundant since we had no need for another evil Droid, and the Female Exile had to make do with some loser companion called Disciple instead of Handmaiden. The first and last dungeons are boring, rushed slogs with little catharsis and yet I still finished the (modded) game, compared to Kotor 1 which I'll never complete. I wonder what other games there are where the head-writer hates the source material.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 19:01 on Jan 21, 2015

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kalos posted:

This is actually an issue that Bioware has had in almost every single one of their games: If you don't make your character a Rogue (or the setting equivalent) then you're forced to carry around whatever one they give you.

I think Mass Effect is the only exception, because locks are determined by minigames.

In Mass Effect 1 locks were determined by your Decryption or Electronics skill so you need someone with either/both of those skills at high level to be able to unlock them

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

The amount of Armour/Parry/Shield cards enemies in Card Hunter end up with rapidly becomes really unfun.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
KotOR 2 is really uneven even in its restored state, for every clever subversion of Star Wars you get lesbian twilek bounty hunters straight off of :tvtropes: or yet another dungeon that exists for no reason other than to be a dungeon.

I got Gat Out Of Hell and a big letdown is the lack of cutscenes. Aside from the opening and ending almost all of the cinematics are just narration over storybook illustrations or gameplay footage, and considered thay they marketed the game with a fully-animated and voice acted musical it's pretty disappointing. There's also a ton of recycling, there are no traditional missions and most of the activities are the same insurance fraud/mayhem activities you've been doing for 4 games and aside from the 7 deadly sins weapons the guns are just recycled from 4 and 3 only in a coat of devil paint.

It's still fun but I would have rather had a few actual proper missions instead of a bunch of padding.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

PrinnySquadron posted:

The amount of Armour/Parry/Shield cards enemies in Card Hunter end up with rapidly becomes really unfun.

I can see what they were trying to do, since giving enemies a bunch of different defences to get around makes it so you have to adjust your deck for the situation rather than just stuffing it full of all your max damage cards. But on the other hand yeah, it is unfun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sleeveless posted:

KotOR 2 is really uneven even in its restored state, for every clever subversion of Star Wars you get lesbian twilek bounty hunters straight off of :tvtropes: or yet another dungeon that exists for no reason other than to be a dungeon.

It's still fun but I would have rather had a few actual proper missions instead of a bunch of padding.

The problem with the restoration mod is that it restores EVERYTHING that was cut they managed to get material for. Some of those things were cut for quality reasons, and not the "surprise, we just took six months off your deadline!" thing. The giant fight in Nar Shadaa to get back to the Ebon Hawk comes to mind. And the HK-50 factory didn't have much of its content completed, so a lot of it is just dungeon-y crap.