Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vaginapocalypse
Mar 15, 2013

:qq: B-but it's so hard being white! Waaaaaagh! :qq:

drilldo squirt posted:

You're wrong about all of this.

A very compelling argument. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Cuba saved me from eating my neighbor's poop itt
It's good to see you come around to my point of view.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's good to see you come around to my point of view.
I am a huge fan of their sandwiches tbh

davidb
Apr 11, 2007

by XyloJW

Cingulate posted:

That's not really true. What you have is that in comparison to people living in peace, the proportion of people living under war decreases incrementally. In absolute terms, violent death isn't strongly receding.

You may be correct. The number of wars has gone down. And percentage wise people die less to wars.

But we have gotten better at killing. One dude can go wipe out a small village. So maybe the deaths per incident has gone up

I found the number 19.4million dead from 1800-1899

But not getting any decent numbers for lets say 1960 to present

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I am a huge fan of their sandwiches tbh
Lucky you. I wish my neighbors made great sandwiches.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not racist, but

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Cuba saved me from eating my neighbor's poop itt
Cuba came too late to save me.

davidb posted:

But not getting any decent numbers for lets say 1960 to present
Steven Pinker's Better Angels of our Nature is full of that kind of stuff.

davidb posted:

But we have gotten better at killing
We've arguably not improved much. The bullet-to-kill ratio in Vietnam was worse by an order of magnitude than in WWII. The last major wars - Iran/Iraq, Rwanda genocide - were fought with weapons mostly not much beyond WWII levels, including human wave tactics, gas, and other stuff reminiscent of WWI, or machetes in the case of Rwanda.
Although Rwanda may not matter because it's poor

davidb posted:

You may be correct. The number of wars has gone down. And percentage wise people die less to wars.
International conflicts are decreasing compared to increasing civil wars, low-intensity conflicts and asymmetric warfare.

davidb
Apr 11, 2007

by XyloJW

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Intersectionality exists anyway, it's not like blacks can't be racist towards foreigners.

Perhaps im racist against my own skin color. Or maybe its exactly what i said. That poor countries where people destroy their own country dont matter to the world stage.

I said poor and others said, what...you dont like black people?

Their just people. Their actions are what matter. In africa the people are corrupt and genocidal/tribal. Their free to live according to their inclination to destroy anyone from the other village. But that also means their country doenst matter.

davidb
Apr 11, 2007

by XyloJW

Cingulate posted:

Steven Pinker's Better Angels of our Nature is full of that kind of stuff.
We've arguably not improved much. The bullet-to-kill ratio in Vietnam was worse by an order of magnitude than in WWII. The last major wars - Iran/Iraq, Rwanda genocide - were fought with weapons mostly not much beyond WWII levels, including human wave tactics, gas, and other stuff reminiscent of WWI, or machetes in the case of Rwanda.
Although Rwanda may not matter because it's poor
International conflicts are decreasing compared to increasing civil wars, low-intensity conflicts and asymmetric warfare.

Interesting. I didnt know any of that. I kinda figured we were getting better at killing.

So where we at on the death count 1960 to present?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

davidb posted:

Interesting. I didnt know any of that. I kinda figured we were getting better at killing.
Depends on the measure, and if you care about efficiency or effectivity.

davidb posted:

Considering the world population has more than doubled since then, I doubt the absolute number has gone down. But the relative number has done down significantly.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

davidb posted:

I kinda figured we were getting better at killing.
Killing people is really easy. The tricky part is not getting killed in return and that's where technology and organization really help out.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Vaginapocalypse posted:

A very compelling argument. :golfclap:

It's a statement dude, how do you even mistake the two?

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.
america america he's our man if he cant do it no one can

rah rah sis boom bah

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

davidb posted:

Perhaps im racist against my own skin color. Or maybe its exactly what i said. That poor countries where people destroy their own country dont matter to the world stage.

I said poor and others said, what...you dont like black people?

Their just people. Their actions are what matter. In africa the people are corrupt and genocidal/tribal. Their free to live according to their inclination to destroy anyone from the other village. But that also means their country doenst matter.

why doesnt america help them? why wont the harbinger of "almost world peace" save these savages from themselves?!

davidb
Apr 11, 2007

by XyloJW

Your Weird Uncle posted:

why doesnt america help them? why wont the harbinger of "almost world peace" save these savages from themselves?!

The cost reward and chance of success is too low. These people and muslims are sill too determined to self mutilate

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

davidb posted:

edit: Ignore, can't read

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Ytlaya posted:

You do realize that it's entirely possible to believe that there is no such thing as a "good" powerful country, right? What does it accomplish to try and figure out which one is the least bad?

This is lazy post modern BS in my opinion considering how many things have gotten significantly better in the last century from civil rights to the middle class. Clearly major institutions have played a role certainly including the leading states.

There are also the people that hate America because of their personal favorites list of bad things but love talking about the great aspects of the USSR. That's a total joke.

quote:

What in the world is accomplished by talking about how much better the US (or any other country for that matter) is than other powerful nations? I can think of countless things that are accomplished by being critical of nation-states, but not a single one that is accomplished by jacking off about how one is "number 1."

Only good critism is useful and that requires recognizing good and bad.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

davidb posted:

The cost reward and chance of success is too low. These people and muslims are sill too determined to self mutilate

"The inherent nature of the muslim is to self mutilate" - davidb

"The inherent nature of blacks is crime and disorder" - Strom Thurmond

"The inherent nature of the jew is parasitical, he lives leech-like off the corpse of good European society and infects our bloodlines whilst being unable to create anything of value on his own" - A. Hitler

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

asdf32 posted:

This is lazy post modern BS in my opinion considering how many things have gotten significantly better in the last century from civil rights to the middle class. Clearly major institutions have played a role certainly including the leading states.

If anything in the last 60 years the working class and unions have been pretty much demolished and the middle class has been shrinking for decades. It is more difficult to crow about a system that starts to retreat on its gains when it doesn't face entrenched competition.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

davidb posted:

Poor countries, full of corruption, bent on committing genocide every other year, who have rejected many efforts to bring them into the 21st century

Dont matter.

Could be yellow, red, brown, white. There are latin american and asian countries that dont matter too.

When they get their poo poo together and step on the world stage then they matter.

#thisistherealworld

davidb posted:

These people and muslims are sill too determined to self mutilate
Why do you think these countries are in such a poor state and struggle to modernize? Who came to these countries, robbed them of their natural resources, installed dictatorships, and incited (and sometimes completely manufactured, as was the case with the Hutus and the Tutsis in Rwanda) ethnic conflict?
Your blaming the problems of the third world on racial inferiority is loving rear end-backwards caveman bullshit.
Do you think slavery did a favor for African-Americans by bringing them here to the US?
E: And before you say you're not racist, you've stated that you believe that people in poor countries that struggle to get out of their predicament are somehow inherently incapable of modernizing and are just these savage beasts, as if there is no outside influence that messes with these countries' development. You think that brutal dictators like Sisi are a great way of bringing these countries out of poverty (they're usually not because they steal everything that's not bolted down). It's like you're some kind of caricature of a 19th-century "white's man burden" imperialist.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jan 21, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Your Weird Uncle posted:

What do you think Iraq was? Selfless spreading of democracy.

Of course those ungrateful Iraqis didn't even appreciate what we did because

davidb posted:

These people and muslims are sill too determined to self mutilate

Kill all Arabs. #Notracist you see because I am an Arab.

asdf32 posted:

Only good critism is useful and that requires recognizing good and bad.

Empires are bad full-stop. Asking who ran the "least bad" empire is asking who is the least bad murderer. The correct answer to "how do we be the best empire we can be" is "don't be an empire".

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 21, 2015

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
So a thread with the NON-US thread tag that specifically asks about European experience is actually about discussing the USA as a world power.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
The fact that nation-states are actually a thing, and even are considered a good thing, is so completely dumb in these 2015s.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
My nation-state is better than your nation-state!

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010
Nation states are pretty awesome if you live in the right one. A world state, or a state of anarchy, would suck.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

The fact that nation-states are actually a thing, and even are considered a good thing, is so completely dumb in these 2015s.

Singapore is worse.

Vaginapocalypse
Mar 15, 2013

:qq: B-but it's so hard being white! Waaaaaagh! :qq:

drilldo squirt posted:

It's a statement dude, how do you even mistake the two?

No, you are wrong about this. :smuggo:

Edit: also, :thejoke:

Vaginapocalypse fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 21, 2015

davidb
Apr 11, 2007

by XyloJW

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

the muslim is to self mutilate

Your a confused little thing arent you, its so cute watching the dumb ones struggle.

Your right the muslims are determined to self mutilate. But thats not an inherent late. Europeans were determined to destroy themselves for the past couple hundered years then they exhausted themselves.

Muslims can exhaust themselves. They just need a couple more decades of worldwide isis type bullshit where muslims are beheading muslims before theyll figure out when you fight by thr sword you die by the sword

davidb
Apr 11, 2007

by XyloJW

Doctor Malaver posted:

So a thread with the NON-US thread tag that specifically asks about European experience is actually about discussing the USA as a world power.

The europeans admitted to being embarrassed about nationalism so we moved on to the best country in the world that isnt embarrassed. They handed off the torch

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

davidb posted:

Your a confused little thing arent you, its so cute watching the dumb ones struggle.

Your right the muslims are determined to self mutilate. But thats not an inherent late. Europeans were determined to destroy themselves for the past couple hundered years then they exhausted themselves.

Muslims can exhaust themselves. They just need a couple more decades of worldwide isis type bullshit where muslims are beheading muslims before theyll figure out when you fight by thr sword you die by the sword

muslims aren't a monolith, hope this helps

davidb
Apr 11, 2007

by XyloJW

VitalSigns posted:

What do you think Iraq was? Selfless spreading of democracy.

Kill all Arabs. #Notracist you see because I am an Arab.

Empires are bad full-stop. Asking who ran the "least bad" empire is asking who is the least bad murderer. The correct answer to "how do we be the best empire we can be" is "don't be an empire".

Theres so much you need explained ok let see here.

1) there were lots of reasons iraq happened. One of whivh was a dictator we didnt like and trying to start a democeacy like we did in germany, japan

2) you shouldnt make hashtags that are a paragraph long makes you look like an idiot. Also dont be racist against muslims thats bad. You also dont need to kill arabs they do a fine job of that themselves thats where most terrorist attacks are directed

3) empires have been the catalyst for most of human development. Ask any historian. The spread of ideas across the globe has been do to empire building. Without which ideas stay local and we would be several centuries behind in development. Only emo kids like you think empires are bad. Where did the empire touch you?

davidb
Apr 11, 2007

by XyloJW

Your Weird Uncle posted:

muslims aren't a monolith, hope this helps

It doesnt. Wherever muslims exist their killing people.

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

Wherever people exist their killing people.

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

davidb posted:

It doesnt. Wherever muslims exist their killing people.

that's wild, my upstairs neighbor is muslim and he's super nice. i wondered who he killed...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I hate to break it to you but Germany had a democracy before the US showed up.

Edit: And if we're going to get technical, the state of Japan prior to the end of world war 2 was probably your guys fault too.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 21, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

wateroverfire posted:

Nation states are pretty awesome if you live in the right one. A world state, or a state of anarchy, would suck.

Let's work together to suppress the forces of anarchy.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Ardennes posted:

If anything in the last 60 years the working class and unions have been pretty much demolished and the middle class has been shrinking for decades. It is more difficult to crow about a system that starts to retreat on its gains when it doesn't face entrenched competition.

They were creatEd in the first place.

And first world middle class gains/issues are much less significant than third world gains. Which have been substantial in that time.

VitalSigns posted:

No they're not. Rome, Alexendander - definitely bad?

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

asdf32 posted:

Actually worse than Hitler.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

Yes? The Romans were gigantic cocks, what are you talking about.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

davidb posted:

Everyones benefited from americas accidental goodness then

1) most world peace since ever
2) most democracy in the world since ever

If its by accident. The way roman empire and mongol empire spread learning, culture and connectex far separated cultures then so be it

Genghis Khan is probably a greater net good than America. He killed enough people to allow forests to regrow, and the world was a significantly more peaceful place after he got done with it.

America's problem is it doesn't commit. Go big or go home - if you can't do the job properly, don't even try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

asdf32 posted:

Is this a poor attempt at a joke? Yes, they were, what's wrong with you?

• Locked thread