Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
So I went ahead and started up Shining the Holy Ark and, wow, whoever said that the frame rate sucked wasn't kidding. The Saturn is really struggling with the environments and animations. I'm only three hours into the game but it definitely feels ambitious, but that ambition seems to have pushed the Saturn to its limit. I just want to throw an extra stick of RAM into the back of the machine to help it out.

And the Pixies, am I doing it wrong? The whole system seems very clunky and poorly executed. I have a Pixie for each direction, but it's 80% a blind guess where an enemy is going to come from. If you don't have the correct Pixie selected you have about a full second to slowly scroll to the correct one before the battle begins. In theory I really like the idea, and maybe it gets better with some more practice, but when you're walking down a hallway and an enemy can spawn from below, ahead, above, left, right, you can get a little frustrated. Luckily, since the Saturn struggles so much with the game, you get a nice warning that an enemy is coming up. The Saturn will make a little loading noise and then you know that you're one or two steps from a random battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Teslavi posted:

The main strikes against the game are that it's anime
uhm, hrm, no.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if anime was a strike against JRPGs the only game we could talk about here is Kings Field

which I would still be ok with

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Teslavi posted:

Hexyz Force is good. The start is pretty slow but once you start getting more characters/weapons the game gets better and better. The main strikes against the game are that it's anime and that temporary weapons having durability sucks (which eventually gets phased out as you get more weapons). The whole hexyz charge mechanic, while stupidly named, is probably one of my favorite jrpg mechanics ever; by chaining attacks of the right color in the right order, both allies and enemies deal more damage and heal for more up until the chain is broken by reversing the order. It speeds up boss fights considerably and lets you fight bosses while underleveled with a bit of strategy.
Tips for this? Did I choose the wrong route by going with the dude when I played a couple hours of this years ago? I remember going "oh jesus, a fantasy racism plot played completely straight," and then sort of losing interest fairly early. I might pick it up again.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

This is 100% untrue. If your attacks were doing poor damage you were doing something wrong, probably not exploiting buffs/debuffs or manipulating the stagger meter properly. There's no random mechanic where things stop doing damage, nor is there a bug that does that.

A lot of people, and no offense is intended here, basically went "i hate this game, I refuse to engage with the combat system" and then complain that battles take too long. The two are connected since the combat goes by really quickly if you're actually exploiting the mechanics.

The leader thing is dumb though, yes.
I want to say a lot of the original "NOT ENUFF DAMAGE" arguments were from people trying to use summons and being disappointed compared to normal attacks.

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Tips for this? Did I choose the wrong route by going with the dude when I played a couple hours of this years ago? I remember going "oh jesus, a fantasy racism plot played completely straight," and then sort of losing interest fairly early. I might pick it up again.

Depends what you're looking for? Levant's route is pretty serious but generally more interesting and has better characters. Cecilia's route is a lot less serious but I found everyone surrounding her to be annoying. I personally played Cecilia's first and thought Levant's was better when I played it through for ng+, but by then I was already aware of the plot and was just filling in holes.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Quest For Glory II posted:

if anime was a strike against JRPGs the only game we could talk about here is Kings Field

which I would still be ok with

what about wrpgs?

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY

Man Whore posted:

what about wrpgs?

didn't fallout 3 have some town that was basically the kokiri forest?

no adults allowed uguu~

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dragon Age 2 is more anime than some actual animes. WRPGs can be just as bad as some JRPGs sometimes. I've heard Inquisition is a good game but I just don't want to spend money on it after how awful Dragon Age 2 was. Some of the poo poo in that game was Compile Heart levels of bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Inquisition is very good and a complete redemption after DA2

but yeah i cant blame you for being wary. I'd recommend getting it if/when the price drops or it goes on sale, though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Endorph posted:

Inquisition is very good and a complete redemption after DA2

but yeah i cant blame you for being wary. I'd recommend getting it if/when the price drops or it goes on sale, though.

I'd actually say Dragon Age 2 was worse than some Compile Heart stuff. At least there's a joke or two in Neptunia I could smile at before getting annoyed with the grindy gameplay or stupid fanservice. There's nothing funny or joyful in Dragon Age 2 at all.

Inquisition will be a 75% off sale buy for me.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

SpitztheGreat posted:

So I went ahead and started up Shining the Holy Ark and, wow, whoever said that the frame rate sucked wasn't kidding. The Saturn is really struggling with the environments and animations. I'm only three hours into the game but it definitely feels ambitious, but that ambition seems to have pushed the Saturn to its limit. I just want to throw an extra stick of RAM into the back of the machine to help it out.

And the Pixies, am I doing it wrong? The whole system seems very clunky and poorly executed. I have a Pixie for each direction, but it's 80% a blind guess where an enemy is going to come from. If you don't have the correct Pixie selected you have about a full second to slowly scroll to the correct one before the battle begins. In theory I really like the idea, and maybe it gets better with some more practice, but when you're walking down a hallway and an enemy can spawn from below, ahead, above, left, right, you can get a little frustrated. Luckily, since the Saturn struggles so much with the game, you get a nice warning that an enemy is coming up. The Saturn will make a little loading noise and then you know that you're one or two steps from a random battle.

Pixies are weird and can get you some bonus damage but you're right that it's a bit of a crap shoot. It's been a couple years since I last played, but I seem to recall certain dungeons (or areas in a dungeon) had its enemy formations only pop up in one of a few configurations so keep your cursor on a pixie that is more common or near one that is so you can rapidly switch to is and fire. It's not gamebreaking to miss a pixie attack but they sure do help.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Dragon Age 2 is more anime than some actual animes. WRPGs can be just as bad as some JRPGs sometimes. I've heard Inquisition is a good game but I just don't want to spend money on it after how awful Dragon Age 2 was. Some of the poo poo in that game was Compile Heart levels of bad.

Let me put it this way- for me at least, Inquisition was as good as DA2 was terrible. That being said, the open world thing can grate, and if you didn't like that sort of thing in Skyrim (I didn't), you'll definitely not like it here. That said, the sidequests, companion quests, and storyline are very well done, especially by New Bioware's standards.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Let me put it this way- for me at least, Inquisition was as good as DA2 was terrible. That being said, the open world thing can grate, and if you didn't like that sort of thing in Skyrim (I didn't), you'll definitely not like it here. That said, the sidequests, companion quests, and storyline are very well done, especially by New Bioware's standards.

Sort of. There's about a 19 to 20 ratio of open world crap to actual good content, but the good really is stellar when allowed to shine.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Don't go to the Hissing Wastes in DAI.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Levantine posted:

Pixies are weird and can get you some bonus damage but you're right that it's a bit of a crap shoot. It's been a couple years since I last played, but I seem to recall certain dungeons (or areas in a dungeon) had its enemy formations only pop up in one of a few configurations so keep your cursor on a pixie that is more common or near one that is so you can rapidly switch to is and fire. It's not gamebreaking to miss a pixie attack but they sure do help.

I'm pretty sure this is correct, there is some way you can narrow down where enemies can possibly come from, based on the dungeon and the map layout. It's been way too long since I've played it to recall any specific examples though.

IIRC they actually become less and less important as the game goes on anyway, since they don't scale up in damage as much as they should.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

A couple pages back people were talking about two controller RPGs and no one mentioned FF5 :colbert:

and ff9 but don't do that one

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tonfa posted:

and ff9 but don't do that one

I will fight you motherfucker

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Final Fantasy IX barely has enough for one player to do

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Don't think I could have picked a better time to start looking to getting into JRPGs.

Yesterday I picked up FF7 on the PC for $5 from New Egg. Legend of Mana and Front Mission 3 on PS Store for $3 each. And today, Amazon has PS3 FFX | X2 HD for $14. Going to take me a while to get through these...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I'm in the mood for a halfway obscure and possibly lovely PS2 jrpg cause of this PSN sale. Out of Growlanser Heritage of War and Stella Deus, which will make me regret my choices less?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Million Ghosts posted:

I'm in the mood for a halfway obscure and possibly lovely PS2 jrpg cause of this PSN sale. Out of Growlanser Heritage of War and Stella Deus, which will make me regret my choices less?

Growlanser.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Getting in on the classic JRPG bandwagon, I recently picked up Dragon Quest 7 for PSX since it was the only one of the series I haven't played yet, and goddamn, people weren't kidding about the slow opening. Almost 5 hours before I smashed my first slime with a stick.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Rascyc posted:

Don't go to the Hissing Wastes in DAI.

I would like to second this. DAI is a cool game but Hissing Wastes is the endgamiest endgame zone and there's basically only three reasons total to go there:
1. If the game's been stingy with dropping crafting schematics for tier 3 armor, there's a vendor there
2. There's a dragon to go kill
3. A big archaeology-ish sidequest that traverses the whole gigantic zone

Look up 1 and 2 on a map if you want to do them but 3 will literally take hours of your time for not much reward and there's pretty much nothing else of interest in the whole empty zone except for the pretty skybox.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Vakal posted:

Getting in on the classic JRPG bandwagon, I recently picked up Dragon Quest 7 for PSX since it was the only one of the series I haven't played yet, and goddamn, people weren't kidding about the slow opening. Almost 5 hours before I smashed my first slime with a stick.

:laugh:

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
The thing with DQ7 is the whole loving game is slow. It's only bearable at cranked speeds on an emu. Shame cause it's pretty cool outside of that.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I heard the 3DS version goes to great lengths to fix all that but Square-Enix refuse to bring it West.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Million Ghosts posted:

I haven't played either but Stella Deus reviewed higher. But it's made by remnants of the same team who did the mediocre Hoshigami but maybe this was their redeeming game, who knows.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

reviews are dumb though

stella deus is relentlessly dull i hear, while growlanser is cool

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hoshigami wasn't mediocre, it was terrible and it hated you. Stella Deus is aggressively mediocre and piss easy.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I think Hoshigami gave me PTSD when I was a kid, gently caress that game gently caress Stella Deus let's go Growlanser.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Hoshigami had some good ideas, too bad about everything

Growlanser Heritage of War is solid gameplay-wise but it broke my anime tolerance which I'd say is fairly high so tread carefully.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

Hoshigami had some good ideas, too bad about everything

Growlanser Heritage of War is solid gameplay-wise but it broke my anime tolerance which I'd say is fairly high so tread carefully.

it's pretty low if growlanser set you over the edge

also lol, anime tolerance

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i used to do final fantasy but now i need hyperdimension neptunia to even feel anything at all

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

dis astranagant posted:

Hoshigami wasn't mediocre, it was terrible and it hated you. Stella Deus is aggressively mediocre and piss easy.

This about a thousand times. Stella Deus was neat at the time for its graphical style; there really wasn't anything that looked like it. It had a crafting system you could break pretty hard but it was super grindy. I just wasn't a very good game. It did do a thing that not many SRPGs do and that is allow you to select an enemy as your movement destination which would execute an attack. It's a small thing but that little shortcut should be in more games.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Cake Attack posted:

i used to do final fantasy but now i need hyperdimension neptunia to even feel anything at all

i've been freebasing mugen souls lately and lost access to my feels is there any game that can lower my tolerance to tsundere?

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Cake Attack posted:

Hey man I got some real good Akiba's Trip poo poo here, you down?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
yeah sure man but i can't pay you for it until i finish time and eternity

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Anime is life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted: