Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Gamma Nerd posted:

gently caress pantera and their insipid hypermasculine tuff-guy bullcrap

death metal

TeamJesus posted:

This has leaked, FYI.

Comes with the territory dude. Unless you are Ghost. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Nordick posted:

I really, really, really wish I could disagree... but I can't. I listened to it like three or four times in a row and can't remember anything off it. There are just no hooks at all.

Really quite sad. :smith:
That's especially frustrating. At the Edge of Time was by far their best album since Nightfall in Middle Earth.

DeusExMachinima posted:

I'd much rather listen to "This Ancient God is Gonna Kick Your rear end" than "I'm Gonna Kick Your rear end"

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 21, 2015

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I think this is the only internet metal place where people still maintain the 90s metal nerd consensus that Pantera is poo poo.

Way to buck the trend, fellas.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i didn't even realize hating pantera was a thing until i posted here

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

comes along bort posted:

I think this is the only internet metal place where people still maintain the 90s metal nerd consensus that Pantera is poo poo.

take that people with opinions on stuff

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

comes along bort posted:

ARE YOU TALKING TO ME???

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

comes along bort posted:

What? We just had the discussion a few pages back about how awesome Power Metal was.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
there's usually at least one band or musician in every genre that speaks to people that are otherwise completely uninterested in that style of music, and for me, blind guardian is the best power metal band there will ever be even if people who are way into power metal will say otherwise.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Bruce Boxliker posted:

My friend played me some of their album. All I heard was just huge bombastic orchestra over blast beats nonstop. Gets pretty dull IMO.

Fleshgod is one of those bands where you hear them for the first time and go "holy poo poo this is awesome!" and then you sort of get a sinking feeling with every subsequent song you hear because they never do anything different from that one song.

They're pretty fun to see live though.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Hulk Krogan posted:

Fleshgod is one of those bands where you hear them for the first time and go "holy poo poo this is awesome!" and then you sort of get a sinking feeling with every subsequent song you hear because they never do anything different from that one song.

They're pretty fun to see live though.

This is true post-Oracles. Oracles was a loving good album.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

muike posted:

I barely listen to them but pretty much this. I'm a sucker for nice solos, groove's got em, and Black Label Society paints some nice ~lyrics~:sissies:

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 21, 2015

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it's not like I'm against the notion of pantera sucking since i haven't listened to them in a long time and can only remember cowboys from hell and cemetery gates vaguley

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

muike posted:

i like that one song no wait actually riff they ahve in the song about area 51 with the coast to coast audio

that and the 30 second interlude are the only parts of planetary duality i'd willingly listen to again

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it's the only one i remember and i know how to play it because it's that cool

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
the thing is that, even though planetary duality is loving trash, it's still better than autotheism. the lyrics on that album have got to be a parody.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

gently caress yeah.

Show was loving awesome. I managed to drag two non-metal friends from work along for the ride and they had a blast. Municipal Waste is such a fun live show and it was a non-stop hail for stage divers anytime there was sound coming out of the amps. Both my buddies made trips into the pit so I almost can't want for work in the morning just to see them all groggy and sore.

Nice warm up for next week :unsmigghh:

Firecube
Feb 15, 2012

"What do you mean we usually just play dead? Are you telling me I've been doing this whole opossum thing wrong for 20 years??!!!"

Photex posted:

Any love for the new Periphery double disc? A few really solid songs and it definitely feels better as a full album than the single tracks they've released.

I think it is the best album they have ever put out by about a large margin, and I love older Periphery.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

muike posted:

It was definitely a thing back when they were still around. They were pretty much seen by quote unquote serious metal fans as white trash garbage for dirtbags.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwj_aNz9DyI&t=225s
Exhibit A. The typical Pantera fan circa 1994.

It wasn't until a couple years after Dimebag died and I guess Lamb of God became marginally acceptable that the consensus shifted to where it is today. The odd thing is that hating Pantera is more of an old fart deal, but I'm pretty sure most people here were either in diapers or at best elementary school in the early 90s, so it's not as if they formed their opinion on the band back when they were still putting out albums.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

muike posted:

there's usually at least one band or musician in every genre that speaks to people that are otherwise completely uninterested in that style of music, and for me, blind guardian is the best power metal band there will ever be even if people who are way into power metal will say otherwise.

My brother :cheers:

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

A couple guys managed to re-record St. Anger and make it sound better than Metallica. The vocals are hilariously close to Hetfield's, but the best part is they managed to cut 15 minutes off the album length.

Album still sucks though.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/two-fans-re-record-metallicas-controversial-st-anger-album/

The drums sound so much better. Especially on the fast/chorus part of the title track.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

comes along bort posted:

It wasn't until a couple years after Dimebag died and I guess Lamb of God became marginally acceptable that the consensus shifted to where it is today. The odd thing is that hating Pantera is more of an old fart deal, but I'm pretty sure most people here were either in diapers or at best elementary school in the early 90s, so it's not as if they formed their opinion on the band back when they were still putting out albums.

I guess that makes me an old fart. I took the hot older metal chick at my high school to see Skid Row because she was a fan, seeing CFH era Pantera open was just a bonus. I could tell then, that the band was going to blow up. Same when I saw LoG open for Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall back in '02 or '03. They blew the headliners off the stage.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

DeusExMachinima posted:

I would not call Napalm Death "tuff-guy" metal.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I guess that makes me an old fart. I took the hot older metal chick at my high school to see Skid Row because she was a fan, seeing CFH era Pantera open was just a bonus. I could tell then, that the band was going to blow up. Same when I saw LoG open for Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall back in '02 or '03. They blew the headliners off the stage.

Yeah I remember seeing them with like Prong and Sepultura. They were definitely heavy for a radio band and Phil sang on Anal oval office tracks and stuff, but they were near-universally loathed by "serious" metal dudes back then. Then again so were bands like Atheist and Cynic and Gorguts at the time, and none of them were trying to be popular. It was weird how narrowly-defined what was considered acceptable was back then.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Okay, that Cerebral Engorgement album is hilarious. Requesting other ridiculous slam. Insanely graphic, grody song titles are a must.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

comes along bort posted:

It was weird how narrowly-defined what was considered acceptable was back then.

Yeah, because people are so much more open minded now. :v:

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Hammer Floyd posted:

So I got Fleshgod Apocalypse's album Labyrinth because I thought the song Epilogue kicked rear end (which it does)

I just wish the rest of the album...y'know...did other stuff as well.

It was fun for a little while but yeah, I'm over it. Still trying to perfect Prologue on acoustic but my hands don't want to cooperate

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

sticklefifer posted:

As someone who was into them since SOANM, I found The Industrialist pretty boring. Archetype was pretty much been their only good album since Obsolete. The lineup poo poo the bed again after that because Burt decided he was Fear Factory and nobody else, and forgot to tell the rest of them before making another album. If they'd just bury all their hatchets and go back to the classic lineup of Bell/Cazares/Wolbers/Herrera, they'd probably be worth listening to again.

Oh man, somehow I brain farted Archetype, which was A Good Album... but oddly enough I like The Industrialist better. Either way, I agree, a return to the classic lineup would probably own.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

comes along bort posted:

Fuckin' hostile.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

RIP Dimebag and all, its a loving tragedy that some oval office blasted him on stage but Pantera and him by association gets fellated non-stop. He had some good riffs and could shred but then again who couldn't? The music is loving boring and has a bad smell after redneck mania caught on.

The only thing I like from Phil is when he did Stone the Crow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I would like Pantera more if they didn't have the worst frontman in music history and Dime's guitar tone did not spawn a wave of the worst tones known to man.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

And if you haven't heard it yet, some unreleased Dimebag songs, he's most likely drunk off his rear end in this and its no wonder it never came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzr2fzDalL8

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Henchman of Santa posted:

I would like Pantera more if they didn't have the worst frontman in music history and Dime's guitar tone did not spawn a wave of the worst tones known to man.

might i interest you in a krank krankenstein, goonsire

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Firecube posted:

I think it is the best album they have ever put out by about a large margin, and I love older Periphery.

The Omega Side is definitely the stronger half of the album. Lots of great tones and riffs.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

muike posted:

I don't hate Pantera, nor do I like them (Hell, I was still in 2nd or 3rd grade when Dimebag was shot :v:). Most of their stuff is repetitive or just boring. However, I love Power Metal and a few select songs from their 90s days ("Cowboys", "loving Hostile", "Cemetery Gates", etc.)

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

xzzy posted:

Yeah, because people are so much more open minded now. :v:

They really are though. The problem is the diversity of music has dropped off significantly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe a little, but there's still a lot of snobbery out there.. even the various SA threads seem to have a lot of "oh jeez you listen to THAT? you are subhuman" going on.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

comes along bort posted:

They really are though. The problem is the diversity of music has dropped off significantly.

You can't just say diversity in music has dropped off (significantly even!) and not expect someone to ask you to back that up

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

nerve posted:

You can't just say diversity in music has dropped off (significantly even!) and not expect someone to ask you to back that up

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/2012/07/26/is-pop-music-evolving-or-is-it-just-getting-louder/

Most of the studies focus on pop music (though metal is technically a subsection of pop), but the idea is the same. What's the last truly new thing in metal? Djent? Yay, warmed over Meshuggah riffs from 20 years ago. Most everything else is just ticking off a genre checklist. Hey that band really sounds like old Exodus. Hey that band really sounds like Obituary, etc. etc.

The irony is our access to music has never been wider nor more easy and open. Maybe the focus on rehashing the past is a function of the increasing homogeneity of modern music, since it's easier than ever to hear more diverse material from decades past, even (and maybe especially) the more obscure stuff.

e: if you want a quick verification of the stagnation, listen to your local modern buttrock station for a little bit, then try to distinguish bands and songs from the past five years versus stuff from 10-15+ years ago

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 21, 2015

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

comes along bort posted:

The irony is our access to music has never been wider nor more easy and open. Maybe the focus on rehashing the past is a function of the increasing homogeneity of modern music, since it's easier than ever to hear more diverse material from decades past, even (and maybe especially) the more obscure stuff.

Have we reached peak brutality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

comes along bort posted:

e: if you want a quick verification of the stagnation, listen to your local modern buttrock station for a little bit, then try to distinguish bands and songs from the past five years versus stuff from 10-15+ years ago

Radio is a really bad place to read the pulse of what kind of music is available.. it exists solely to capture ears so they're gonna play whatever is the safest and most catchy.

I mean, even in the 90's when Nirvana was blowing everyone's mind they STILL managed to make every song sound the same because they magically conjured up a bunch of other grunge/alternative acts to fill in the gaps between repeats of SLTS. This was true in the 80's too, the names of the acts were different but the MO was the same.

There's still a lot of really creative, explorative music out there. The hard part is finding it.. one would think the internet would make this easier but it seems like what it's actually done is generate a colossal sea of noise that makes it a giant chore to find unique stuff. My method is to bookmark threads like this one on a number of forums and just wait for someone to post a link to something new.. sort of the internet version of hearing about a new act that played in some dive bar over the weekend.

The most original stuff I've been hearing these days is coming from electronic music, which is unfortunate for metalheads, but maybe that's just a sign of the times.