Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I wonder if anyone in the 15th century told people that they were relying too much on movable type, or maybe people in the 19th century saying no, we shouldn't put up telegraph lines, we should just put up decorative wooden poles to remind us of the dangers of technology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

quote:

Q: Is it gag gift?
A: No, the Fauxn is a real product meant to help you manage and ultimately break your addiction of mobile technology. Using this substitution method will allow individuals to have access to the Fauxn while doing things which require attention, such as driving, spending time with their friends and family, enjoying nature, exercising, and being better people.

Oh man I want this guy to just walk into traffic.

Also I want to write "fauxn" on a brick and throw it at his face. I wonder how long the self-congratulation sesh was when he came up with that?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Otisburg posted:

I wonder how long the self-congratulation sesh was when he came up with that?

This is what I picture when I read fauxn:

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/EcTFimB.jpg:nws:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Piquai Souban posted:

A local knockoff of the NoPhone (and predecessors) - this time, it's wood!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-fauxn/#home

This is one of the worst things I've ever read

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Otisburg posted:

I wonder how long the self-congratulation sesh was when he came up with that?
Including or excluding the refractory period in between sessions?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BattleMaster posted:

I wonder if anyone in the 15th century told people that they were relying too much on movable type
Yes. 'Technology is ruining everything' and 'kids today are assholes' are two of the staple sentiments of humanity.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2010/02/dont_touch_that_dial.html

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

This is what I picture when I read fauxn:

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/EcTFimB.jpg:nws:

I picture those fairy creatures too, but one that lived in the 1990s and skateboarded everyday to the rave club where he worked as a DJ.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Yes. 'Technology is ruining everything' and 'kids today are assholes' are two of the staple sentiments of humanity.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2010/02/dont_touch_that_dial.html

jesus christ

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BattleMaster posted:

jesus christ

You don't think kids are assholes and technology ruins everything? On this internet forum?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I do think that as a society we are becoming way too focused on our devices/screens and not experiences/people but this guy is just a pretentious prick who has a found an extremely obnoxious and overcomplicated way to get his point across. Instead of authoring some interesting perspective on the topic he is going for a cash grab on something that's only use is to pull out and feel superior to other people. I'd have a hard time not punching someone who pulled that thing out while we were out together to mock my use of technology in their presence.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

TraderStav posted:

I do think that as a society we are becoming way too focused on our devices/screens and not experiences/people but this guy is just a pretentious prick who has a found an extremely obnoxious and overcomplicated way to get his point across. Instead of authoring some interesting perspective on the topic he is going for a cash grab on something that's only use is to pull out and feel superior to other people. I'd have a hard time not punching someone who pulled that thing out while we were out together to mock my use of technology in their presence.

agreed i also think we are way too focused on electricity, fire and wheels too.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

You ask me shits been going downhill since agriculture.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I remember there was a philosophical paper some dude wrote about how the typewriter was going to ruin society because people wouldn't actually take enjoyment from writing anymore.

If I remember correctly the guy who wrote it didn't like writing and dictated all his papers to his wife :ironicat:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Otisburg posted:

You ask me shits been going downhill since agriculture.

Young people today have no respect for their elders and scrawl pictures of animals on tthe cave walls.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jedit posted:

Young people today have no respect for their elders and scrawl pictures of animals on tthe cave walls.

This multicellular thing is just a fad.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Kids these days and their "tools" and "specific places for making GBS threads."

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_APoSfCYwU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TraderStav posted:

I do think that as a society we are becoming way too focused on our devices/screens and not experiences/people

Pardon me while I use my 24/7 connection to all the knowledge of humanity to immediately find well-sourced research on why you're wrong.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTLyXamRvk4

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

chitoryu12 posted:

Pardon me while I use my 24/7 connection to all the knowledge of humanity to immediately find well-sourced research on why you're wrong.

I love your avatar.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/axent-wear-cat-ear-headphones

$3 million raised

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
3 million and they couldn't splurge for rgb leds instead of a separate set for every led color?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Recieve a pair of headphones of your color choice, plus a one of a kind digital painting of you or your character wearing Axent headphones! Customly painted to your taste by the Axent Wear designer and artist, Yuumei (Wenqing Yan). You can look just like one of the artworks in the original Axent Wear posters!

TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR A DIGITAL PAINTING.

Germstore posted:

3 million and they couldn't splurge for rgb leds instead of a separate set for every led color?

Oh they did, they're just charging $10k.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Kickstarter should do a kickstarter to raise money for a less crappy app. This new update looks like some freaking Windows phone app. And scrolling horizontally on a primarily portrait based device? Such bullshit.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Vapid linkbait site The Oatmeal, creator of such perennial favorites as Sriracha For The Mothershitting Win and Nikolai Tesla: The Most Epic Athiest Bacon Fedora To Ever Exist, kickstarted a card game and it made a million dollars in less than a day.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

You seem real mad about that website.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

Kids these days and their "tools" and "specific places for making GBS threads."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pa6SGYWADU&t=53s

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sleeveless posted:

Vapid linkbait site The Oatmeal, creator of such perennial favorites as Sriracha For The Mothershitting Win and Nikolai Tesla: The Most Epic Athiest Bacon Fedora To Ever Exist, kickstarted a card game and it made a million dollars in less than a day.

100% funded in 20 minutes, 1000% funded in less than a hour, now rapidly heading towards $2 million and it still the first day!

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Sleeveless posted:

After so many kickstarters that were about brazenly stealing poo poo from the internet and putting them on cards, it's actually odd to see one with all original art.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

100% funded in 20 minutes, 1000% funded in less than a hour, now rapidly heading towards $2 million and it still the first day!

Memes: The Card Game
:suicide:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Sleeveless posted:

Whatever happened with the "Tesla" Museum? Last I hear they were scrambling just to buy the land and hadn't even done anything yet.

EDIT: Just looked at the Exploding Kittens KS.

People aren't this dumb, are they? There's no gameplay there.

Turn over card, get "kitten card", loose game. But wait, you can draw a card to skip your turn! Or a card to "diffuse" a kitten card so you don't loose. Or a card to do "something" that's completely unexplained and likely, at this point, completely not thought out or planned!

Sounds like something you'd place once or twice and then never again.

Snuffman has a new favorite as of 15:06 on Jan 21, 2015

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Snuffman posted:

Whatever happened with the "Tesla" Museum? Last I hear they were scrambling just to buy the land and hadn't even done anything yet.

He wrote a ~*totally unprompted*~ fawning review of the Tesla model S, then two days later Elon Musk coincidentally gave them a load of money. I don't think they've done anything since.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Snuffman posted:

What makes you think they buy this for gameplay?
It's just fans of the oatmeal and there are plenty of them.

I'm not a fan of his works but honestly there's no reason to be jealous about his success.

e: judging by the figures almost everyone bought the 35$ "NSFW" deck. I guess it says it all. People don't buy this for the game but for the lol random edgy factor. Probably 14 years olds or geeks.

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 16:50 on Jan 21, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Snuffman posted:

Turn over card, get "kitten card", loose game. But wait, you can draw a card to skip your turn! Or a card to "diffuse" a kitten card so you don't loose. Or a card to do "something" that's completely unexplained and likely, at this point, completely not thought out or planned!

I had to read the whole thing twice just to make sure, but that's it. You just flip cards in turns. It has almost zero strategy to it.
I bet they could have easily sign a deal for a proper board/card game with someone who actually knows how to make one. Or make another official Munchkin reskin. Instead they just came up with the stupidest game mechanic ever. gently caress.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Snuffman posted:

but but but cats and memes and epic bacon Nikola Tesla and Thomas Edison hated cats and narwhals!

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
From a few pages back, but "ORIGINAL GAME IDEA DO NOT STEAL" and general paranoia about that sort of thing is extremely common among the very lowest grade indie devs, of which there are maaany.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also sometimes goats because Goat Simulator is totally lulzy, amirite?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Snuffman posted:

Paladinus posted:

I had to read the whole thing twice just to make sure, but that's it. You just flip cards in turns. It has almost zero strategy to it.
I bet they could have easily sign a deal for a proper board/card game with someone who actually knows how to make one. Or make another official Munchkin reskin. Instead they just came up with the stupidest game mechanic ever. gently caress.

Its UNO, you silly goons. Have you never played UNO? Its a reskinned UNO with funnier cards than just numbers and "skip a turn".

It has pretty much zero strategy. You get to pick what cards to play, but its just picking from the cards in your hand, and they're not that different. But that's just like Monopoly or most other games that mainstream people play, not super nerd games like Settlers of Catan. (I like nerdy board games, but you've gotta admit most people play poo poo like chutes and ladders. Or Yahtzee. Pure dice rolls. Lack of strategy isn't really a thing mainstream people give a poo poo about. They suck at strategy.)

Noyemi K posted:

From a few pages back, but "ORIGINAL GAME IDEA DO NOT STEAL" and general paranoia about that sort of thing is extremely common among the very lowest grade indie devs, of which there are maaany.

It comes from the stupid American "If you come up with a genius idea, you can retire and rake in millions without being technical or doing any hard work" which is total bullshit.

A genius idea can make you tons of money, but unless you get insanely lucky you've also gotta work hard to market it and develop a product using it, or otherwise get some kind of patent you can license.

quote:

I guess it depends on how novel your idea is

:jerkbag:

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 17:31 on Jan 21, 2015

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I'm not a fan of his works but honestly there's no reason to be jealous about his success.

Oh, I'm not jealous. I respect the guy. I don't like his articles, but I certainly don't hate him.

He's a goddamn marketing genius. Everything he does is cool and calculated to maximize clickbait and profit. He's the master of Web2.0. It didn't surprise me at all that he worked in SEO before starting The Oatmeal.

...The card game IS dumb, but also calculated as well.

EDIT: The Tesla Museum is kinda sketchy but not nowhere near full blown "Sohmer take the money and run and then start more kickstarters level" yet.

Snuffman has a new favorite as of 17:41 on Jan 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zaphod42 posted:

It comes from the stupid American "If you come up with a genius idea, you can retire and rake in millions without being technical or doing any hard work" which is total bullshit.

A genius idea can make you tons of money, but unless you get insanely lucky you've also gotta work hard to market it and develop a product using it, or otherwise get some kind of patent you can license.

Physicists get so many unsolicited emails from weirdoes claiming that they've cracked the next big paradigm shift in Physics but they just need someone to "run the equations" for them that they've actually devised a point scoring 'Crackpot Index' for rating such emails.

quote:

30 points for suggesting that Einstein, in his later years, was groping his way towards the ideas you now advocate.