Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

There's a used bookstore I used to frequent where the owner allowed her cat to run around freely. I never minded that. Then again, cats don't smell like internet order sex hormone colognes, so I suppose it was a little different.

I wouldn't mind a cat. A distillery by our place has a cat and he is chill as hell and will just sit on your lap by the fire :catdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

There's a used bookstore I used to frequent where the owner allowed her cat to run around freely. I never minded that. Then again, cats don't smell like internet order sex hormone colognes, so I suppose it was a little different.

Yeah cats and maybe dogs are OK as long as the place doesn't smell like animals, but rodents are pretty much right out

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Fungah! posted:

Yeah cats and maybe dogs are OK as long as the place doesn't smell like animals, but rodents are pretty much right out

Ferrets aren't rodents, they are closer to Weasels than anything else. That being said, they DO smell and they DO poo poo.....a lot. Like a whole metric fuckton of animal feces every day. If you don't clean out their cage, that poo poo is rank. Look, I have a ferret, they are adorable, inquisitive, fun loving balls of energy when awake, and absolutely adorable when asleep. But by no means do they have a place in a retail business that is not a pet store.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Fungah! posted:

Ferrets aren't rodents. They still smell, though.

Edit: apparently even brevity didn't get my response in faster.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Single Tight Female posted:

How's Eldritch Horror as a solo game? Alternatively, any good solo suggestions that aren't Mage Knight, LOTR LCG, Ghost Stories or Flash Point? Probably looking for something longer than FP but shorter than Mage Knight with a decent level of complexity and moving parts. Flash Point's too easy to nail down and Mage Knight's just a bit too hefty to play regularly.

Playing Eldritch Horror solo steering multiple characters works fine. Eldritch Horror also plays quite differently depending on which old one you're up against, so that's nice and mixes things up.

Legends of Andor would be ditto - steer two or more characters and play solo. The game is well-done and not fiddly. I wrote about it not that long ago if you want to check my post history.

I like Robinson Crusoe but it's not for everyone. It's great for role-playing a survival situation of desperate attrition where just barely being able to scrape by is a victory. Terrible rulebook though, look up the illustrated how to play guide - it's a life saver. You can play a more "true" solo in the sense that you're not (quite) steering multiple characters.

If you don't mind printing scans & cutting out 30-year-old chits, look up The Voyage of the BSM Pandora which is a solo game vaguely crossed with a choose your own adventure (sort of) about travelling the galaxy on an expedition to seek out new life and, ideally, hit them over the head and bring them back with you. "True" solitaire game, intended for only one player. I enjoyed my original copy, there aren't enough games that focus on exploration. I posted a barely-read thread somewhere here in Traditional Games where I played it and took pictures and stuff.

Ditto (regarding printing and cutting out scans) for Dawn of the Dead which can be played solo (and quite well). You have the four characters from the classic movie and are trying to lock down the mall where you want to hole up.

Back to modern times I haven't tried Samurai Spirit but have heard nice things.

Defenders of the Realm is fun but kinda dated I think. It's basically a time struggle against an unrelenting semirandom horde. Also a little on the expensive side due to all the plastic in there.

Galaxy Defenders I own but haven't tried yet - I'm looking forward to checking out the "AI" cards for enemies. Again, it's a co-op you play solo by steering at least the minimum # of characters to play.

Alien Uprising didn't work for me, I wrote about that one too in this thread a while ago if you want to look it up.

Sentinels of the Multiverse I just can't get past the :yum: I drew it myself artwork because I'm a shallow, shallow man and haven't even cracked the plastic.

I'm sure I'm missing some but maybe that gives you something to work with.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 21, 2015

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Mister Sinewave posted:

Sentinels of the Multiverse I just can't get past the :yum: I drew it myself artwork because I'm a shallow, shallow man and haven't even cracked the plastic.

Don't worry, it's a terrible game. Just sell/trade it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm sure I will someday. On top of the teenage deviantart reject style being a real turn-off (harsh but an accurate summary of my feelings) I also have a lingering bias against board games that consist of just a bunch of cards.

With those two things together the odds of ever being bored enough to dig in are pretty slim.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

The End posted:

Man, US consumer law is hosed. In Australia, retailers are mandated to take the return and deal with the supplier as part of warranty law.

I'm in Sweden, but I called my FLGS and they said they can't take it back since they can't sell it again since it's opened. I'm sure I could pull consumer law stuff on their rear end, but I really like the store and the people who work there and I play there a lot.

Just kinda sucks that the gf was really psyched for a new co-op game and we had planned to play it tonight. Hopefully the extra cards arrive soonish.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Sistergodiva posted:

I'm in Sweden, but I called my FLGS and they said they can't take it back since they can't sell it again since it's opened. I'm sure I could pull consumer law stuff on their rear end, but I really like the store and the people who work there and I play there a lot.

Just kinda sucks that the gf was really psyched for a new co-op game and we had planned to play it tonight. Hopefully the extra cards arrive soonish.

IIRC this happened with early print runs of the Marvel Legendary, too. I meticulously counted every card when I bought it, and got lucky I guess.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Sistergodiva posted:

That's how we do it too, here in the US. If there's a problem with a product after it's opened, we'll only take it back if it's GW, because they're the only ones who give us a guarantee on crediting us for it.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Sistergodiva posted:

Unfortunately on top of having the cards sorted in the least helpful way possible, Upper Deck has a seemingly bad record of cards missing across their entire line of Legendary games and expansions. I've heard so many stories of missing cards but I've been lucky enough myself that my Legendary stuff has been mostly complete, I was missing one card from Villains but that seems to be it. Their support people were helpful and the card shipped in a reasonable time, but you would think a company that started out in CCGs would be able to get their poo poo together.

Come to think of it, I should crack open the Guardians of the Galaxy expansion I got for my birthday and check if it's complete.

e: Yes it's complete.

Scyther fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 21, 2015

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Scyther posted:

Unfortunately on top of having the cards sorted in the least helpful way possible, Upper Deck has a seemingly bad record of cards missing across their entire line of Legendary games and expansions. I've heard so many stories of missing cards but I've been lucky enough myself that my Legendary stuff has been mostly complete, I was missing one card from Villains but that seems to be it. Their support people were helpful and the card shipped in a reasonable time, but you would think a company that started out in CCGs would be able to get their poo poo together.

Come to think of it, I should crack open the Guardians of the Galaxy expansion I got for my birthday and check if it's complete.

I found a helpful list of all the cards on BGG, so I checked which ones where missing and mailed the list of missings to them. I'm just hoping they notice it's an entire deck missing, because it would suck if I hadn't caught all the missing cards and didn't get everything sent to me.

Apparently it's cheaper for them to print it that way. I thought all the blank cards and stuff where to avoid spoiling story cards or something, so just sorting took a shitload of time until I realized everything was totally random. THEN I realized that I was missing probably one or two entire decks :(

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I have so many things on my social calendar these days, it is difficult to know which you are making reference to, in particular.
Sell Sentinels of the Multiverse if you want, but check the video game out first. Steam, Android, IOS. I like it better solo, anyway. Because I don't have any friends in most co-op games, if your partners are inexperienced, you can play better and pick up the slack. That doesn't work as well when your friends all have different decks and different jobs. Sure, you can quarterback the entire game for them, but then you might as well just be playing solo.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

I'm in Sweden, but I called my FLGS and they said they can't take it back since they can't sell it again since it's opened.

For that matter, why would Best Buy want a DOA TV back? Why would a store buy a broken TV from you, when they can buy a new, unopened one from the manufacturer, and for cheaper? Who would expect them to do that? It's also probably a real expense for them to have to stock games, have employees there to ring them up, and what not. Be a dear, please: just order the game online and then send your store a cheque for their cut.

I know, yeah, game stores aren't profitable and what not. I just wonder how much of it is "we can't run like a normal retail business because we're so tight on money" and how much is "we're so tight on money because we don't run like a normal retail business".

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

jmzero posted:

For that matter, why would Best Buy want a DOA TV back? Why would a store buy a broken TV from you, when they can buy a new, unopened one from the manufacturer, and for cheaper? Who would expect them to do that? It's also probably a real expense for them to have to stock games, have employees there to ring them up, and what not. Be a dear, please: just order the game online and then send your store a cheque for their cut.

I know, yeah, game stores aren't profitable and what not. I just wonder how much of it is "we can't run like a normal retail business because we're so tight on money" and how much is "we're so tight on money because we don't run like a normal retail business".

Best buy gets paid by sony for the sale even if they have to send a broken tv back to sony. Sometimes it's easier for the consumer to return to shop and get a new working product instantly. Not sure how consumer laws work in the US, but according to Swedish law I can require that a place of purchase repairs or replaces a faulty product within reasonable time which according to our law is at least 2 months.

Also I guess I should clarify that I called the store I bought the game from.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Wait, do game distributors seriously not cover faulty games? As a store, if you order a dozen of something and one is messed up, you call your distributor and tell them "Hey we checked order #xyz and there is only 11, 1 is damaged - I can't sell that." Then they go "OK send it back and we will credit you/replace/basically RMA it." This is normal :confused: isn't it?

It may be that the publisher is like "any damage or missing items we will service directly, do not return to store" which is a thing, but it's not what I think got described. "Buyer Beware all sales final" on sealed retail items seems kinda shady.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Mister Sinewave posted:

Wait, do game distributors seriously not cover faulty games? As a store, if you order a dozen of something and one is messed up, you call your distributor and tell them "Hey we checked order #xyz and there is only 11, 1 is damaged - I can't sell that." Then they go "OK send it back and we will credit you/replace/basically RMA it." This is normal :confused: isn't it?

It may be that the publisher is like "any damage or missing items we will service directly, do not return to store" which is a thing, but it's not what I think got described. "Buyer Beware all sales final" on sealed retail items seems kinda shady.

Basically Swedish consumer law gives me the right to go back to the store and demand that the store repairs or replaces my faulty product. They said they could take the game, count the cards and order the replacements themselves, but that would just add the time it takes until I get the replacements. I don't really feel like screwing over the guys who takes 30 min out of their workday to help me find a game I will probably like and even explain how games I'm thinking about play.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Sistergodiva posted:

Basically Swedish consumer law gives me the right to go back to the store and demand that the store repairs or replaces my faulty product. They said they could take the game, count the cards and order the replacements themselves, but that would just add the time it takes until I get the replacements. I don't really feel like screwing over the guys who takes 30 min out of their workday to help me find a game I will probably like and even explain how games I'm thinking about play.

It's not "taking 30 minutes out of their workday" if their job is selling games, and the result is making a sale. Being an enthusiast as well as a professional and selling hobbyist items rather than say a broken TV or a hamburger that's missing the onions does not change anything about the basic tenets of customer service.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Rutibex posted:

My local gaming store had a cat named Rusty. He was adorable and slept in the empty comic boxes. He got to be super fat from nerds feeding him slim jims and cheetos and died :( RIP Rusty

Those monsters.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Mister Sinewave posted:

They'll replaced product that was damaged in shipping or whatever, sure. That's not what was being described though. There is a difference between that and someone buying something, bringing it home, opening it, and then bringing it back to the store.

Mister Sinewave posted:

They'll replaced product that was damaged in shipping or whatever, sure. That's not what was being described though. There is a difference between that and someone buying something, bringing it home, opening it, and then bringing it back to the store.

Scyther posted:

It's not "taking 30 minutes out of their workday" if their job is selling games, and the result is making a sale. Being an enthusiast as well as a professional and selling hobbyist items rather than say a broken TV or a hamburger that's missing the onions does not change anything about the basic tenets of customer service.

Sounds like he's right, though? I pretty much guarantee it would take longer for them to get the replacements in themselves than for you to contact the publisher directly, based on my own experience.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 21, 2015

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Opened or not, it's faulty goods. Most consumer law requires goods be of merchantable quality, fit for purpose and perform as advertised, otherwise the customer has recourse to seek remedy from the retailer, (i.e refund, replacement or repair) who then has recourse to the supplier.

If the business can't handle that, it shouldn't trade. Most suppliers will credit stores on notice of returns, in anticipation of receiving faulty goods. All this poo poo is part of doing business.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

After a customer brings it home and opens it I have no way of knowing if it's faulty or not :shrug:

I'm not defending anything, just explaining the reasoning.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

S.J. posted:

After a customer brings it home and opens it I have no way of knowing if it's faulty or not :shrug:

I'm not defending anything, just explaining the reasoning.

And how is the customer supposed to know if it's faulty if they can't take it home and open it? The law favours the consumer, not the retailer (at least in Australia). I hope you're not in retail, you'd get hosed.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The End posted:

And how is the customer supposed to know if it's faulty if they can't take it home and open it? The law favours the consumer, not the retailer (at least in Australia). I hope you're not in retail, you'd get hosed.

As far as I'm aware, and I'm in the US, our distributors are not required to refund us for any merchandise that's faulty unless we catch it before it gets sold, and even then that's only part of their PR. We're not required to take returns. Our policy is that we will do exchanges if you return a product unopened, with the receipt, and within 30 days. Other than that, sales are final. We're not legally required to do anything other than hold to that policy. The only exception we make to that is Games Workshop product because of how their reimbursement policy works. Perhaps if distributors are legally required to reimburse retailers for these products I could understand, but as far as I'm aware they aren't here. I could certainly be wrong about some of this though because it's not something I've looked into.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 22, 2015

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Here we go, US Federal law mandates a refund on faulty goods http://consumer.findlaw.com/consumer-transactions/return-policies-and-refunds.html
Swedish law also http://www.iclg.co.uk/practice-areas/commodities-and-trade-law/commodities-and-trade-law-2006/sweden (Section 7.1)

These are pretty universal principles. Your suppliers can state whatever policies they like, but they probably don't hold up to the law.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The End posted:

Here we go, US Federal law mandates a refund on faulty goods http://consumer.findlaw.com/consumer-transactions/return-policies-and-refunds.html
Swedish law also http://www.iclg.co.uk/practice-areas/commodities-and-trade-law/commodities-and-trade-law-2006/sweden (Section 7.1)

These are pretty universal principles. Your suppliers can state whatever policies they like, but they probably don't hold up to the law.

Like I said, this isn't something I've looked into. :shrug:

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Well, then I really hope you're not in retail!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The End posted:

Well, then I really hope you're not in retail!

I am in retail. I work at my local game store. That doesn't mean I'm up to date with federal return laws, nor does it mean I need to be. I'm not actually finding info on a federal law that requires refunds or w/e for faulty merchandise though, so if any of you find something, throw a link up please.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 22, 2015

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

S.J. posted:

Wha? I am in retail. I work at my local game store. That doesn't mean I'm up to date with federal return laws, nor does it mean I need to be.

It was mandatory reading for every retail job I'd ever worked. Your store manager/owner is playing with fire, especially if s/he lets you make judgement calls on returns

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

S.J. posted:

I am in retail. I work at my local game store. That doesn't mean I'm up to date with federal return laws, nor does it mean I need to be.

Your local game store has a policy that is ridiculously anti-consumer, and effectively defrauds its customers.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

S.J.'s runaround is basically what happened to me when I got my copy of Dominion Dark Ages from CSI, where 1/3rd of the set was mistakenly repeated and missing the 1/3rd it replaced. CSI refused a return or exchange and told me I had to take it up with Rio Grande Games, who luckily were cooperative and sent me the right cards.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

As lovely as it sounds, I think the path of least resistance is sending a list of specific cards to Upper Deck and getting the replacements. If you return it and want a new box, you're gambling again. Although, they should let you have a refund if you want to just move on entirely.

My goondolences, I got lucky somehow, but apparently a bunch of people are missing cards :(

There was some thing recently where Upper Deck was advertising that the Marvel VS system would be coming back as a LCG, but they showed pictures with printed cards saying that it was a "Living Card Game" which is trademarked by FFG. People assumed that they are getting a C&D and frankly they're probably right. The VS system was pretty fun but had some wickedly unbalanced cards that they would avoid this time around I think.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The End posted:

It was mandatory reading for every retail job I'd ever worked. Your store manager/owner is playing with fire, especially if s/he lets you make judgement calls on returns

No one has ever required this of me for any of the retail jobs I've ever had, including JC Penny and other large retailers.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

S.J. posted:

Sounds like he's right, though? I pretty much guarantee it would take longer for them to get the replacements in themselves than for you to contact the publisher directly, based on my own experience.

Well, if I brought a game home and it was misprinted or missing pieces, I'd expect the retailer to take it back and give me one that wasn't faulty if I wanted to return it.

That being said, taking it up with the publisher to replace any faulty components is fair and certainly the best fastest solution if an exchange at the store isn't possible or practical for whatever reason.

e: The ugly situation of having like 600 cards that is a pain in the rear end to check for missing ones even on a good day muddies things. That really should not happen.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

S.J. posted:

No one has ever required this of me for any of the retail jobs I've ever had, including JC Penny and other large retailers.

Maybe the US government is less likely to bitchslap offending businesses than the ACCC? It strikes me as super weird that American businesses are happy for their staff to break the law on their behalf. Then again, I guess there's a real 'let me speak to the manager' mentality, so they only feel compelled to educate higher ups?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

esquilax posted:

Your local game store has a policy that is ridiculously anti-consumer, and effectively defrauds its customers.

We used to have a much more liberal policy until people would buy an item from the store, open it, take it home and play it for a week, and then literally come back in and tell us they got their cheaper copy off of Amazon so they'd like to return this now. That was rampant for us for a while and we couldn't keep allowing it.

The End posted:

Maybe the US government is less likely to bitchslap offending businesses than the ACCC? It strikes me as super weird that American businesses are happy for their staff to break the law on their behalf. Then again, I guess there's a real 'let me speak to the manager' mentality, so they only feel compelled to educate higher ups?

No idea to be honest, although that wouldn't surprise me. I'm still kind of looking stuff up atm.

e: This is what I just found at Consumer Reports

quote:

Wrong!
Stores must allow returns.
You forgot to tell your husband that you're giving up golf and taking up the saxophone. Now the store won't take back the clubs he just bought you for Christmas. It's true that retailers generally can adopt any return policy they want as long as it's prominently posted at the point of sale. But if the policy isn't posted, some states impose one. If the product doesn't work or isn't what you ordered, the policy doesn't matter—you have a right to get what you paid for. (More about returns.) Federal law generally gives you three days to cancel some purchases. Some states have similar "cooling off" periods for some sales, such as those involving health-club and home-improvement contracts (but not for new and used car purchase agreements!).

S.J. fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 22, 2015

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

S.J. posted:

We used to have a much more liberal policy until people would buy an item from the store, open it, take it home and play it for a week, and then literally come back in and tell us they got their cheaper copy off of Amazon so they'd like to return this now. That was rampant for us for a while and we couldn't keep allowing it.

That's a customer upfront telling you that they changed their mind. You have no obligation on that front. That is also worlds away from 'Hey, I just bought this and half of it is missing.'

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The End posted:

That's a customer upfront telling you that they changed their mind. You have no obligation on that front. That is also worlds away from 'Hey, I just bought this and half of it is missing.'

Sometimes literally, sometimes not so literally. Again, please don't act like I'm arguing with you here. The kind of situation we're discussing regarding missing pieces is not the reason we changed our policy.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

S.J. posted:

Sometimes literally, sometimes not so literally. Again, please don't act like I'm arguing with you here. The kind of situation we're discussing regarding missing pieces is not the reason we changed our policy.

It's all good. The main point is that the law isn't quite so brutal to customers as you'd thought. :)

Anyway, this derail is probably boring the poo poo out of people. Let's move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I just bought the Machi Kuro Harbor expansion and the cards don't match what IDW put out as the Machi Kuro original. Now the place that I bought them from is run by an attorney, so I suppose if I took the Findlaw site to him he'd have to accept the return back. HOWEVER, he could say that the game is still playable and therefore is not defective, and therefore his clearly posted refund policy (where you can only return unopened merchandise for a week after buying it) would apply.

Defective is a broad word, is what I'm saying.