Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

or maybe tablet mode is off - the taskbar touch targets are still tiny af
or maybe those just don't change sizes and you just have to deal with ti

i wonder what the difference is between the Wifi menu option and the wifi taskbar icon
and why Wifi is present in both the taskbar and option quickmenu, but volume is only on the taskbar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the fact that you can't tell which one is on or off is so drat shameful

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

theres also an absolute poo poo ton of whitespace for no reason at all

except the whitespace isn't white 90% of the time, it's coloured dirty grey, cloying blue or poo poo brown. i'm inclined to reserve judgement since this isn't final, but even still the fact that they thought some of this design was ready to show is crazy (note: this will all very likely be present in the final version, utterly unchanged, and since they decided to fire half their QA staff none of it will work)

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

the problem with wearable technology is that it's designed by people with no real sense of how to design for people (e.g. fashion, comfort, etc)

how is it that nobody in the industry seems to get this

form a partnership with some design-house right from the loving beginning, guys

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

if you shape the product around the technology it will be poo poo

if you push the technology to allow for the product, will, it will still probably be poo poo but there's at least a fighting chance of something innovative

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

actual innovation, not some cultish recreation of the future that we were promised by the jetsons

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Linguica posted:

augmented reality visor in a movie, 1993

augmented reality visor irl, 2015

dont forget

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

quote:

Kipman points out, the computer doesn’t grow hot on your head, because the warm air is vented out through the sides.
Does it have FANS

does a thing that sits on your head have FANS in it

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

duTrieux. posted:

they probably do it's just that lovely microsoft mgmt never lets them have the final say or they take the reccos and design-review-by-committee it to death

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Beeftweeter posted:

lmao oh god this is too much

literally, its both too much funny and too many loving things

is that seriously the new start menu
looks more like it'd be the new desktop, as arranged by World's Best Grandad but with a billion tiles instead of a billion icons

i mean i've got a wp (what of it) and i've only got a handful of stuff on the main tile menu so i'm assuming you'll be able to do the same in windows 10

i agree it's not a good way to demo the new windows tho

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

qirex posted:

the fact that you can't tell which one is on or off is so drat shameful

(i really appreciate that one instance of this on ios turns into a months-long existential crisis, when you can take any random windows screenshot and find 3-4 things that are worse :shobon:)

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

(i really appreciate that one instance of this on ios turns into a months-long existential crisis, when you can take any random windows screenshot and find 3-4 things that are worse :shobon:)

except this can never happen irl with all of the buttons in their on state at once

it's obvious what is what when you're using it

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

"oh no, apple design is bad when you edit a screenshot into a state that cannot be achieved by the device itself!!!"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Pinterest Mom posted:

its different now anyway? shift turns white if its enabled

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

the problem with wearable technology is that it's designed by people with no real sense of how to design for people (e.g. fashion, comfort, etc)

how is it that nobody in the industry seems to get this

because engineers suffer from the "i had to do hard math in school therefore i am good at everything" syndrome

"clothing is super easy because it doesn't have any math in it. we'll work on the HARD TECHNOLOGY and figure out the way it fits the human body over lunch or something. also, how come people keep buying apple products when all they do is waste their time on ~design~? i can't understand this"

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

oh btw i've used the windos 10 preview and there is absolutely zero incentive to use the icon next to the search bar which opens up the application switcher - make it a hot corner or something, right now it's just sitting there making the taskbar even more ugly and inconsistent for very little utility as people can't instinctively reach it. maybe have it replace the 'hide all windows' hot corner in the bottom right which has always had questionable utility. seems like your average consumer using windows isn't in the habit of using alt-tab so that might be useful for them, idk. i just want to know why this multi billion dollar company seems to be designing its 1.5 billion user operating system with the same concern for usability as a 13 year old's tumblr page

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

also if my phone is anything to go by, if an on/off tile is grey instead of blue or red or green or w/e, its functionality is switched off

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Beeftweeter posted:

lmao oh god this is too much

literally, its both too much funny and too many loving things

is that seriously the new start menu
that's some rear end screen, new start menu is like block up to the middle of the screen, and the same in width, with really weird categories on one side, kind-a weird looking win xp start menu with weird text (about 1/3 width of thing), and 2/3 width of the thing is like these pictogramplateshits

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Sombrerotron posted:

also if my phone is anything to go by, if an on/off tile is grey instead of blue or red or green or w/e, its functionality is switched off

does that mean the computer is connected to a vpn

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
ah yes let me be obtuse on purpose im sure that will get a lot of laffs

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

what the gently caress happened to my sweet lil microsoft deathwatch thread

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

incoherent posted:

we saw it

we saw microsoft die

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

univbee posted:

we saw it

we saw microsoft die

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

incoherent posted:

the grim future

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

does that mean the computer is connected to a vpn
idk you can't really tell from that screenshot i think

like the wi-fi appears to be switched on as well, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's actually connected to a wi-fi network

might be the same deal with the vpn i guess??

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

update: caught up

Bring balmer back ffs

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

incoherent posted:

instead of fading quietly into the sunset like most big dying tech companies, microsoft is going to go out kicking and screaming and flailing around desperately grabbing for anything that might possibly save them. it's going to be quite the spectacle

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

qirex posted:

halo is microsoft's only actual successful new product of the last 15 years and even then they bought another company to get it, who then later demanded to be spun off or they'd all walk off the job

this seems like a good time to petition for a thread title change to "rebranding the deck chairs" again

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

how holo lens will fail:

no form of secondary input device will require users to use imprecise voice commands that will fail half the time (see: xbone) or require users to hold their hands out in their field of view and flail in 3d space like an idiot (see: kinect).

the transparent screen in the lens will produce low quality images and a terrible refresh flicker that will cause eye strain. Users will abandon the product after a few months of use if they get that far and revert back to static screens

no developer support for consumer applications and maybe one or two decent quality tech demo games (see: kinect) that will sell moderate to poor due to the fact that you have to buy a specialty peripheral to play them

lol fans on your headset that will be irritating as hell

the device itself will weigh too much and again cause physical strain and discomfort for the user

it will launch at the dumbest price point imaginable (see: surface rt)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

G-III posted:

how holo lens will fail:

no form of secondary input device will require users to use imprecise voice commands that will fail half the time (see: xbone) or require users to hold their hands out in their field of view and flail in 3d space like an idiot (see: kinect).

the transparent screen in the lens will produce low quality images and a terrible refresh flicker that will cause eye strain. Users will abandon the product after a few months of use if they get that far and revert back to static screens

no developer support for consumer applications and maybe one or two decent quality tech demo games (see: kinect) that will sell moderate to poor due to the fact that you have to buy a specialty peripheral to play them

lol fans on your headset that will be irritating as hell

the device itself will weigh too much and again cause physical strain and discomfort for the user

it will launch at the dumbest price point imaginable (see: surface rt)

you could have just said "how holo lens will fail: its an absolutely retarded ms product so nobody will buy it"

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
halo lens

roybot9000
Aug 27, 2003

:eyepop:

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Kirk posted:

ok but we don't want to overwhelm the us-

this is missing the "Ow My Balls!" app

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i was like "lol why the hell does the headset need cooling fans" and then i remembered that our kinect developer kits have a 30 watt power supply (for comparison's sake, a usb port can source 2.5 watts of power)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

a product that can be compared to virtualboy, 3dtv, google glass, and kinect is truly something that just screams 'successful product'

also terrible nerds are rushing to defend it in comment sections without ever seeing it, another wonderful sign

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

i'm the perspective This PC icon for absolutely no reason

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

devices/partitions should be under there

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

G-III posted:

this is missing the "Ow My Balls!" app

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

slogsdon posted:

this seems like a good time to petition for a thread title change to "rebranding the deck chairs" again

agreed

Cold on a Cob posted:

mods rename thread to "Microsoft Titanic Status: Rebranding the Deck Chairs" tia

please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

the icons look like they were made in paint :s

• Locked thread