Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Shindragon posted:

Probably money. I mean Billy made a deal with the investors before as well and that was to get a loan from them.

Rusty could be inheriting a deal with the investors along with all that money and company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

feedmyleg posted:

Rusty could be inheriting a deal with the investors along with all that money and company.
Would be a problem if the investors weren't dead as dead gets in this show.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

MrSlam posted:

This bothered me too, but here's how I figured it out.

Either he was reneging on a debt and/or the Investors were so ingrained with the Guild that even the Council of 13 weren't above suspicion. His paranoia had apparently gotten so bad that he went full Stalin. Seems out of character since he's been relatively chill up to this point but like he said, he IS a supervillain at the head of an evil organization.

With the Investors losing their control over Monstroso and OSI and coming under full investigation by the new management, the Sovereign may have done some investigating of his own and discovered just how much of the Guild they had influence over. And when your organization make backstabbing and treachery a byword its probably best just to burn them all and let the devil sort them out.

I think it's simpler than that. The Sovereign hatched a crazy plan to get rid of the investors by destroying Gargantua 2 and knew that 2/3rds of the council wouldn't go for it. I mean, for the most part they were all old fuddy duddies that treated the council of 13 like a club rather than the head of an evil organization. Why in the hell would they want to upset the status quo just to get the Sovereign out of a contract? Not only that, the Sovereign would have to admit to them that he only ruled because of the investor's influence.

So, he sought out a core group of people that he thought he could get to go for the plan, but even they called bullshit on it so everything went pear shaped.

The shot eagle at the end likely is not a misdirection. It's the perfect coda to the point made earlier that the Sovereign was simply a shapeshifter that got in over his head and now everything is falling apart.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I hope they continue to fakeout Rusty Senior's return periodically and then when the show finally ends in 2025 (season 7!) it does so without bringing him back or even mentioning him in any way.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

That's the best case. The entire show is based on the fact that Jonas was so overbearing and outgoing that every single random plot point of this show can be traced back to something he did in the past. The fact that he's been dead the entire time makes it even better.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

JT Jag posted:

Would be a problem if the investors weren't dead as dead gets in this show.

Well, Killinger is kind of an investor. I am overthinking this. That's what happens when we only get a little Venture at a time.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The funny part is, even though the Sovereign was ultimately killed in a hilariously random manner during his attempted escape, his entire mad gambit to kill the Investors worked. The Investors would never have confronted Killinger if the Guild wasn't falling apart like it was. Gargantua II never would have been destroyed--- after all, they were the ones responsible for destroying it. The Revenge Society would have just robbed the station and left. If Phantom Limb never received orders from the Sovereign it would have ended there.

feedmyleg posted:

Well, Killinger is kind of an investor. I am overthinking this. That's what happens when we only get a little Venture at a time.
Killinger is something that has chosen to be a magic man with a magic murder bag. Similarly, I believe the Investors were something that chose to be Investors, instead of something else.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 21, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Do we know why the Investors destroyed Gargantua 2? That's the one thing I wasn't clear on. Was JJ going back on his contact or was it the fact that he was dying?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I can't wait to see what kind of deal Jonas Sr. made with the Investors in the past. 'Cause there's almost no way he didn't make a deal with them.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Do we know why the Investors destroyed Gargantua 2? That's the one thing I wasn't clear on. Was JJ going back on his contact or was it the fact that he was dying?

The scene went down something like this, right?

Phantom Limb is about to disable the shield. The Investors show up and ask if the Sovereign told him to do that. Phantom Limb answers in the affirmative. The Investors now know that the Sovereign is probably trying to screw them over. They acknowledge this by telling Phantom Limb something like 'This exchange has been most informative'. Then they take out the shields themselves, and do it in a way that Phantom Limb can't undo it after they leave. We see they have their own way off the station, so it does them no harm to remove the shields, and if they're planning on killing the Sovereign, better he thinks they're dead than have him start running now. JJ's deal doesn't seem to enter into it.

Just my guess.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Dynamite Dog posted:

That's the best case. The entire show is based on the fact that Jonas was so overbearing and outgoing that every single random plot point of this show can be traced back to something he did in the past. The fact that he's been dead the entire time makes it even better.

I like this. It reminds me of Hitchcock's Vertigo, where a bunch of people's lives are ruined because of some guy who's only in the movie for 5 minutes.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My god, that's a lot of replies.

Still, what a loving way to open a season, take an entire bucket full of loose plot threads and throw them into space to explode.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Bobulus posted:

The scene went down something like this, right?

Makes sense, I couldn't remember exactly how it went down.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Finally got around to watching this on the Adult Swim website. Great episode, and as usual the wait for the next season is going to suck. See you guys in 2016 :suicide:

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

PostNouveau posted:

if they decide to boot Hatred, I'll be happy to never hear that voice again.

How does it feel to have such awful, awful taste in animated cartoon character men.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Shindragon posted:

Probably money. I mean Billy made a deal with the investors before as well and that was to get a loan from them.

I think the Investor money was just part of the heart transplant/MD deal.

Which raises the question: so what did the Investors get from Monstroso? They got his heart from King Gorilla in exchange for curing his cancer, but if we've seen what they got from Monstroso, I've forgotten it.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Pope Guilty posted:

I think the Investor money was just part of the heart transplant/MD deal.

Which raises the question: so what did the Investors get from Monstroso? They got his heart from King Gorilla in exchange for curing his cancer, but if we've seen what they got from Monstroso, I've forgotten it.

I imagine the Investors got access to his legal expertise and insider knowledge of the Guild. It's a lot easier to make Faustian bargains if you have a lawyer working for you.

Also, going back a few pages and seeing the .gifs, the death of Henchmen Zero is both brutal and hilarious. You could totally tell it was coming when Brock taunted him the first time through. And then Hank coming in and throwing up just completes the scene.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

bull3964 posted:

You know, we didn't actually see Gargantua 2 get destroyed. Sure the control tower went up, but the rest of the facility is intact-ish, and there was only a swarm of space rocks hitting it because of someone's evil plan. It doesn't need that shield for a while with that not going on.

Chances Rusty tries to spend an episode or two fixing up Gargantua 23?

Also I have a feeling the will specifies that Rusty doesn't get unlimited access to the company's running/funds.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I'm glad that wasn't the official finale of last season, because having a finale that has five times the plot of the entire previous reason would be pretty awkward.

I guess you could say the same about Operation PROM, but there wasn't exactly a Spanakopita episode in that season (not to whine about Spanakopita, I actually enjoyed it).

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You mean SPANIKOPITA!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
This was one of the smartest things they ever did: simplify. I love the complexity of Venture Bros, but even as it is, it's complicated as hell. Removing some of the absurd number of loose ends was very wise.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I know we saw him in like 2 episodes ever, but I'm gonna miss Steppenwolf :smith:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hedrigall posted:

I know we saw him in like 2 episodes ever, but I'm gonna miss Steppenwolf :smith:

Same, that's actually my biggest bummer coming out. :smith:

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Man, does that mean if Rusty decided to become a full villain with Killinger he could've been a Council Member? I want to see that reality.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Nintendo Kid posted:

You know, we didn't actually see Gargantua 2 get destroyed. Sure the control tower went up, but the rest of the facility is intact-ish, and there was only a swarm of space rocks hitting it because of someone's evil plan. It doesn't need that shield for a while with that not going on.

Chances Rusty tries to spend an episode or two fixing up Gargantua 23?

Also I have a feeling the will specifies that Rusty doesn't get unlimited access to the company's running/funds.
Didn't the ray shield specifically get contracted to protect from asteroids? I thought that was part of the point of it, not just cosmic rays.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Didn't the ray shield specifically get contracted to protect from asteroids? I thought that was part of the point of it, not just cosmic rays.

Well space is an untidy place, much like the junk drawer in your average American kitchen

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
if treister counts then the universe really did lob meatballs at gargantua 2

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

JT Jag posted:

Killinger is something that has chosen to be a magic man with a magic murder bag. Similarly, I believe the Investors were something that chose to be Investors, instead of something else.
I thought The Investors (and therefore Killinger as well, now?) were pretty firmly established as vampires...

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Lazlo Nibble posted:

I thought The Investors (and therefore Killinger as well, now?) were pretty firmly established as vampires...

They were Charlie's Angels.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I love Watch and Ward so much. "We shouldn't have stopped for those power-ups!"

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Treister is so fantastic. "Get your probing fingers away from me and my precious rectum!"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Treister is so fantastic. "Get your probing fingers away from me and my precious rectum!"

I think Treister's best trait is his trash-talking mouth with its southernisms, so although it was fun seeing Treister finally hulk out for real, I think his running around and punching stuff cut down on opportunities for him to do what he's best at: talking crazy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbKIH4E8hac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MKHVKuaO74

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaW4CJj_UPc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAx52E_9lVA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVvBFXLxuhU

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 22, 2015

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Me too, i wanted whacky racer adventures

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Might as well make a list of plot threads that didn't explode:

-Venturestein's new nation
-The Monarch's parents
-Molotov Cocktease
-Vendata
-Dermot
-Ben
-What the hell was with literally any of the investors' plans
-Not convinced the investors are entirely dead either
-and I guess that goes the same with the Sovereign, too

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Treister is a hulk now, there's a reasonable chance he survived that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hedrigall posted:

I love Watch and Ward so much. "We shouldn't have stopped for those power-ups!"

"Breathe through your costume! .....oh God that is so hot!"

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

JT Jag posted:

Doesn't the helmet imply that he still needs to breathe though? No way is that going to stay intact in that blast.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

X_Toad posted:

Doesn't the helmet imply that he still needs to breathe though? No way is that going to stay intact in that blast.
He's been blasted into space without a helmet before.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Treister is an absolute gem. No way are they going to let him stay dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

JT Jag posted:

This season we get an episode that is just Planet Treister.