Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I wish they went after other totems. All cutting a swathe through the stupid assholes who make up the Vultures of the Multiverse (whoa "Vultures of the Multiverse" sounds totally rad as a name).

All those fragile bones must be delicious!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

hahahahaha

don't worry it's not the REAL May it's some random OTHER May

loving DeFalco

Uh where is that coming from? I just re-read the Spider-Girl/Ben story in Team-Up and I didn't see anything to suggest it is some other non-MC2 May.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I wish they went after other totems. All cutting a swathe through the stupid assholes who make up the Vultures of the Multiverse (whoa "Vultures of the Multiverse" sounds totally rad as a name).

Hollow bones will snap in your mouth and you end up swallowing shards. There's a reason you don't give dogs chicken bones but cow and pig ones are fine.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
There's actually a bird in France they force feed, put it in horrible conditions, and it's eaten whole. Bones and all. As in, they put the whole thing in the mouth and then chew. And when it's eaten they all wear towels on their head and cover...I dunno...their shame?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ortolan_bunting

It's protected.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's actually to keep in all the vapors because Bunting smells super delicious.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

If these vampires were in a psychedelic blues band, this event would probably be better for it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gatts posted:

There's actually a bird in France they force feed, put it in horrible conditions, and it's eaten whole. Bones and all. As in, they put the whole thing in the mouth and then chew. And when it's eaten they all wear towels on their head and cover...I dunno...their shame?

It's protected.

I've read about this before, and I kinda want to do it. I am the crime that can't be forgiven.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Gatts posted:

It's protected.

Last season of Hannibal featured it and it was more disgusting than human sausages and a person sewn into a horse.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

notthegoatseguy posted:

Uh where is that coming from? I just re-read the Spider-Girl/Ben story in Team-Up and I didn't see anything to suggest it is some other non-MC2 May.

She uses the same narration in ASM #8 (which DeFalco and Frenz both called out as being inconsistent with 130+ issues, among other things), refers to her brother as 'Benny' instead of 'Benjy', and even states basically 'in an infinite multiverse, I hope there's an alternate me eating wheatcakes with her family right now'. The only way it could be more obvious would be if MC2 Mayday and her family showed up on panel, but DeFalco probably couldn't get away with that. If nothing else, it creates reasonable doubt.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Eh, that was my pet theory earlier. For example, Ultimate Universe was misidentified with another number. In a later issue (I think the recap of Spider-Verse Team-Up or something) they re-IDed it as the correct number.

Maybe in DeFalco's own mind. But Spider-Verse couldn't be more clear that these are the actual Spider-Men from their respective verses.

Benjy and Benny are both sort for Benjamin. It isn't like the baby has been called some completely unrelated name like John.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jan 22, 2015

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

DeFalco doing that all time reach for a No Prize.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Dreqqus posted:

Why does the Anne Rice Fanclub suddenly want to go all multiversal genocide on their food supply all of a sudden?

This one has been explained in the series.

The Anne Rice Fanclub have a prophecy that eventually the Spider-Totems are going to unite and rise up and permanently kill all of them....some 1,000 in the future.
They have found a loop hole which is that if they can combine the blood of the Scion, the Bride and the Other into a ritual they can stop any more Totems from coming into being naturally. Ergo there will be no totems 1,000 years in the future to kill them.

On the flip side, the smartest of the Inheritors (Jennix) has decided that to get around the problem of starving to death, he has been experimenting with a method of cloning Spider-men that would still allow them to have a Totemic Essence that they could eat. (As he says, Farming of animals is what makes men Civilized.)

It would be funny if the end prophecy was that the Inheritors triumphed, wiped out the Spider's but ended up dying a slow painful death over 1,000 years due to the corrupting influence of their fake synthetic totem meals. However that's pretty dark, so i think a better ending is for Peter and the gang to raise an army of Spider-people and to take down the Inheritors that way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

This one has been explained in the series.

The Anne Rice Fanclub have a prophecy that eventually the Spider-Totems are going to unite and rise up and permanently kill all of them....some 1,000 in the future.
They have found a loop hole which is that if they can combine the blood of the Scion, the Bride and the Other into a ritual they can stop any more Totems from coming into being naturally. Ergo there will be no totems 1,000 years in the future to kill them.

On the flip side, the smartest of the Inheritors (Jennix) has decided that to get around the problem of starving to death, he has been experimenting with a method of cloning Spider-men that would still allow them to have a Totemic Essence that they could eat. (As he says, Farming of animals is what makes men Civilized.)

It would be funny if the end prophecy was that the Inheritors triumphed, wiped out the Spider's but ended up dying a slow painful death over 1,000 years due to the corrupting influence of their fake synthetic totem meals. However that's pretty dark, so i think a better ending is for Peter and the gang to raise an army of Spider-people and to take down the Inheritors that way.

Wait, did they forget they can eat other kinds of totems? Like the very first Morlun story is just him looking for animal totems, not Spiders in specific.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

ImpAtom posted:

Wait, did they forget they can eat other kinds of totems? Like the very first Morlun story is just him looking for animal totems, not Spiders in specific.

I think the Inheritors felt that a "Black Panther-verse" story was just going to end like the Black Panther: Civil War tie in. And they didn't want that.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

ImpAtom posted:

I don;t think they are the ones who forgot that...

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Other totems aren't the ones prophesied to kill them.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

notthegoatseguy posted:

Eh, that was my pet theory earlier. For example, Ultimate Universe was misidentified with another number. In a later issue (I think the recap of Spider-Verse Team-Up or something) they re-IDed it as the correct number.

Maybe in DeFalco's own mind. But Spider-Verse couldn't be more clear that these are the actual Spider-Men from their respective verses.

Benjy and Benny are both sort for Benjamin. It isn't like the baby has been called some completely unrelated name like John.

Best analogy is what Steve Gerber did with Howard the Duck-he spun off the 'real' Howard into his own character (Leonard the Duck), leaving a clone behind to be Howard in 616.

Besides, Slott was the one to make the initial continuity cockups on Spider-Girl. Not really surprising DeFalco took that and ran with it. It's a much more elegant retcon of the butchering of her character than say, Adam Beechen's fumbling to try and fix Cassandra Cain.

Waterhaul posted:

DeFalco doing that all time reach for a No Prize.
Eh, I'll take it. Besides, Slott did it first with She-Hulk for something much less damaging to the character than killing off her supporting cast. Turnabout is fair play.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

Other totems aren't the ones prophesied to kill them.

Yes, but that doesn't explain why they would need synthetic Spider totems when they can just go eat more Captain Condors.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, but that doesn't explain why they would need synthetic Spider totems when they can just go eat more Captain Condors.

Because they do need to eat Spider-Totems. The initial appearance of Morlun explained it as him needing to eat totems of every type, and it just so happened that he was running low on Spidey energy.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
So does anyone else think that Spock is going to clone himself somehow before this is over, so he's alive in some universe?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Well the cloning machines are all destroyed now and we've already seen that Spock returns to the "present" after all of this with no memory of what happened.

(And Marvel are going ahead and destroying all other universes)

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I thought that this Otto was a time-clone thing. Like temporally he goes into the anomaly and then exits simultaneously in the present and in 2099, so there's two of him but they never ended up existing at the same time.

I figured that was going to have to be dealt with as some weird fall-out from the end of the Spiderverse stuff, Otto having nowhere to go.

Did I misunderstand what that issue of Superior was saying about what happened?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Knowing Slott I'm sure he'll find a way to keep his self-insert character around and coexist with Peter.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Time Machine explodes and sends Otto to 2099 and then the events of Spider-Verse begin.
When Otto was brought back to the present he was caught mid-sentence shouting "You haven't seen the last of Dr. Ot-" just before forgetting what had happened to him inbetween the explosion and returning. So probably after all the Inheritor stuff gets cleaned up, his identity gets revealed and he'll duke it out with the other Spider-Men a bit before he gets returned to where he should be.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

Knowing Slott I'm sure he'll find a way to keep his self-insert character around and coexist with Peter.

Yep, that seems likely.

Question: what is the point of Spider-Verse? I mean, it seems like all these alternate Spideys will go home only to get incursion'd. I really don't see how this ties into Secret Wars or the incursions, despite Slott claiming it would fit. Hell, we know at least character (Spider-UK) will make it through Spider-Verse only to die in Time Runs Out. It just seems exceptionally poorly-timed.

Honestly, for a Doctor Who fan, Slott should have taken a look at The Day of The Doctor for how to do a big celebration of a franchise without bloating it and ruining everything. Just pick one or two alternate Spideys (Peter, Miles, and one or two others) on a smaller-scale adventure, then break out the army of Spideys for some big gently caress yeah moment, rather than have them be annihilated piecemeal. You could have had tie-ins and team-ups going on, just having other Spideys teaming up as a warm-up for the big finale.

I genuinely wish we could have got Spider-Men 2 over this event.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

Waterhaul posted:

Well the cloning machines are all destroyed now and we've already seen that Spock returns to the "present" after all of this with no memory of what happened.

(And Marvel are going ahead and destroying all other universes)
Marvel isn't going to start running Spider-Gwen only to end it in the middle of a storyline by dropping a bridge on her universe.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Castomira posted:

Marvel isn't going to start running Spider-Gwen only to end it in the middle of a storyline by dropping a bridge on her universe.

No but they sure are going to miss the point and bring her into the nu616 without any of the supporting cast and the setting that made the take interesting like every other time an alternate version catches big.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
Were we talking about pretty much any other character, I'd probably agree with you, but if editorial really wanted a Gwen Stacy alive in 616 again, she would have come back after BND.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Castomira posted:

Were we talking about pretty much any other character, I'd probably agree with you, but if editorial really wanted a Gwen Stacy alive in 616 again, she would have come back after BND.

Except that predated the Webb films where Emma Stone made her popular again as well as Spider-Gwen herself.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Except that predated the Webb films where Emma Stone made her popular again as well as Spider-Gwen herself.

You are aware that JMS's original plan for that was to bring Gwen Stacy back right?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Rhyno posted:

You are aware that JMS's original plan for that was to bring Gwen Stacy back right?

I'm going to say he does and that's why he pointed out that she is significantly more popular now then she was then, which increases the chances of them bringing her alternate version into the new pizza metaphor that is the future marvel universe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The most popular and well known version of the character died on screen last summer so its not like anyone is clamoring for her to really return.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I honestly wouldn't mind in the least if 616 Peter got replaced with an alive Ultimate Peter. Trade in 616 Aunt May too. Miles, Peter, and Gwen; Teenage Spider People would be some great fun. I'd put all the continuity of my Spider-Man collection on the shelf for something new and exciting.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I am, and if editorial wouldn't go for it during their most infamous moment of profoundly asinine fuckery, when their objective was to do everything in their power to torpedo Pete's relationship with MJ, I don't think they'd do it now. At least, I hope they wouldn't.

Of course, I'm also hoping that Spider-Gwen's reality will turn out to be a gimmick universe where Elektra watches over Hell's Kitchen and Peggy Carter got the super-serum (and so on, and so forth,) so I'm not really arguing in good faith so much as trying to convince myself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The most popular and well known version of the character died on screen last summer so its not like anyone is clamoring for her to really return.

That's been pretty widely acknowledged as a mistake though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I am not sure a character (if you want to call her that I guess) that appeared in two movies is the most popular iteration of the character. Or that many people cared all that much that she died.

Edit: I mean maybe by default? Because she isn't a well known character (outside comic circles) and I don't think that has changed.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 23, 2015

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Die Laughing posted:

I honestly wouldn't mind in the least if 616 Peter got replaced with an alive Ultimate Peter. Trade in 616 Aunt May too. Miles, Peter, and Gwen; Teenage Spider People would be some great fun. I'd put all the continuity of my Spider-Man collection on the shelf for something new and exciting.
I could live with that if they at least gave 616 Peter a half decent ending and addressed the 'sold marriage to Satan' deal.

Castomira posted:

I am, and if editorial wouldn't go for it during their most infamous moment of profoundly asinine fuckery, when their objective was to do everything in their power to torpedo Pete's relationship with MJ, I don't think they'd do it now. At least, I hope they wouldn't.

Of course, I'm also hoping that Spider-Gwen's reality will turn out to be a gimmick universe where Elektra watches over Hell's Kitchen and Peggy Carter got the super-serum (and so on, and so forth,) so I'm not really arguing in good faith so much as trying to convince myself.
But you know, Spider-Gwen didn't exist and hadn't gained her own book from positive fan reaction back then. Gwen Stacy as she was in the 616 is not Spider-Gwen.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Remember when editorial was super excited about bringing Harry Osborn back, and everyone was like "We lost such a great Spider-man supporting character when he died, now we can tell good stories again and ditch all this post-90s bullshit!"

Where's Harry now?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm selfish and way past being a teen and there are enough teen spideys. Give me Papa Peter married to MJ and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

Remember when editorial was super excited about bringing Harry Osborn back, and everyone was like "We lost such a great Spider-man supporting character when he died, now we can tell good stories again and ditch all this post-90s bullshit!"

Where's Harry now?
Well at least one good thing about BND is that it actually recognised that the existing supporting cast had kind of contracted a bit and merited expansion. Unfortunately, their attempts to expand it kind of sucked balls, especially since they threw out Mary Jane completely.

Gatts posted:

I'm selfish and way past being a teen and there are enough teen spideys. Give me Papa Peter married to MJ and move on.
:agreed:

• Locked thread