Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hingehead posted:

Anakin conversed in Huttes with Watto and Sebulba. There's also the merchant guy that Jar Jar stole the food from.

Geonosian warriors, Poggo the Lesser spoke in their Geonosian language. Wat Tembor spoke in alternating high and low pitch tones.

Oh.......that's it I guess...

You really know your CIS leadership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Fetus Tree posted:

Lol who the gently caress is poggo the lesser

Leader of the geonosians? (I'm pretty sure that's right, bug winged short dude (not watto) that hangs with Dooku around the end of AOTC. )

And if sand people had a voice it would likely be Native American caricatures, their portrayal in the EU gives them this weird honorable, noble savage vibe. Living off the land, using all of the buffalo (bantha), that kinda poo poo.

Also I'd like to say to everyone that Wat Temblor is dope as hell simply because of his cool robo voice he has to deliver his one line. Based on this metric my other favorite prequel character is Sebulba's pod racer. Not Sebulba, his race car, that thing makes an awesome other worldly "WHUP WHUP WHUP" sound.

http://youtu.be/LLR6NsCL4_A

Edit: I know who cares and all but guys, his name is Poggle.
All the dumb EU I consume is clone wars and OG trilogy era, I don't care for the dawn of Jedi, old republic or future new republic stuff so the who's who of the CIS is a thing I've heard a lot about, there's a lot of clone wars era crap out there.

AND another thing to bitch about, I found the first half of the new dawn of the force or whatever book on YouTube ( the rebels prequel) holy poo poo is the main character the most unlikeable gently caress, he's written as a snarky perma 13 year olds idea of badass always full of 'tude.

Who the gently caress is that supposed to appeal to? 13 year old boys I guess? His response to every other character is "out of my way, smell you later DWEEB!" Or if it's a lady, "hey babe, you sure are a BABE!" Why oh why would anyone choose to spend hours and hours in the company of such a total poo poo head. This poo poo is supposed to be entertainment, not a race to the most cringe inducing moments possible. It's basically Poochie the fuckin Jedi.

And the main bad guy is Count Vidian (not vader) he has cybernetic limbs and a robot voice and is an imperial but totally not vader guys, just a dude that's exactly like him in almost every way.

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 22, 2015

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

Fetus Tree posted:

That old geonosian alien with the cane, working with Count Dooky. Read the loving EU , you scrub! Or collect the toys!

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

redshirt posted:

You really know your CIS leadership.

I had all the toys. There was no way to know these characters' names unless you were a toy collector or a devoted avid EU reader.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I wonder what Poggo the Greater's story is all about...

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

redshirt posted:

I wonder what Poggo the Greater's story is all about...

He had a semi sentient cane made from the limb of a tree that had grown too large for the small Kalkit grove it inhabited. By taking the limb he gained a trusted companion while saving the elder Kalkit. The Kalkit swore a life debt to Poggo the Greater

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
my dick is force sensitive and it has mastered the force choke ability

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Does it make VROOOM SCHTOOM VROOM noises like a lightsaber when you swing it around?

Edit: wait a minute, force choke? That's an evil SITH PENIS. A gay Sith penis I might add, because Sith penises always occur in pairs due to the Rule of Two.

So is your evil penis the master penis or the apprentice penis?

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 22, 2015

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

wat tambor was the best character in he prequels

you have the support of the techno union! boop boop

freethought
Feb 24, 2011

Fetus Tree posted:

it's a typo, George was trying to introduce homosexuality into the star wars universe with his trademark tactfulness.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

david... posted:

Jizz face.

Jazz

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Does it make VROOOM SCHTOOM VROOM noises like a lightsaber when you swing it around?

Edit: wait a minute, force choke? That's an evil SITH PENIS. A gay Sith penis I might add, because Sith penises always occur in pairs due to the Rule of Two.

So is your evil penis the master penis or the apprentice penis?

The Apprentice :negative: It is called Darth Chodious

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
ARISE DARTH CHODIOUS

*force lightning crackles*

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

ARISE DARTH CHODIOUS

*EZ-Flash IV hard-boots to BIOS*

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

freethought posted:

When did he start calling himself Ben anyway?

It was an alias to avoid detection by the empire. You see, if they heard Obi-Wan Kenobi was living near a guy named Luke Skywalker, they may become suspicious. Ben Kenobi living near a guy named Luke Skywalker? Nothing suspicious about that!

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
timothy zahn and michael stackpole were okay

shadows of the empire had that one scene with leia seducing xizor that 14 year old me thought was sexy

x-wing and tie fighter pc games were good

jedi knight 2 multiplayer was loving great

dark forces was good, too

but everything else can take a flying gently caress

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Leia did not seduce Xizor, Xizor seduced Leia. With pheremones that control women. (Kind of weird when Xizor is a reptile but it's star wars and he has hair anyway and he's the only one we ever see of his super special species, he's basically human but with powers the author thinks are cool)

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Acne Rain posted:

Leia did not seduce Xizor, Xizor seduced Leia. With pheremones that control women. (Kind of weird when Xizor is a reptile but it's star wars and he has hair anyway and he's the only one we ever see of his super special species, he's basically human but with powers the author thinks are cool)

Reptilian roofie powers, sounds pretty cool

matrix ripoff posted:

timothy zahn and michael stackpole were okay

shadows of the empire had that one scene with leia seducing xizor that 14 year old me thought was sexy

x-wing and tie fighter pc games were good

jedi knight 2 multiplayer was loving great

dark forces was good, too

but everything else can take a flying gently caress

I was having a conversation with a couple guys the other day and none of us could actually name any decent star wars books that weren't the Thrawn books or X-Wing novels and even those aren't all that fantastic and have plenty of dumb poo poo.

Like how Thrawn can immediately understand how a certain species will act in any given situation just by looking at their artwork. And how Corran Horn gets a huge stage funeral with thousands of people attending when he's just one pilot and nobody else got one. And he wasn't even dead.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

thrawn trilogy is like on level with early tom clancy stuff

heart-of-darkness-in-space-with-samuel-jackson was pretty decent

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Leader of the geonosians? (I'm pretty sure that's right, bug winged short dude (not watto) that hangs with Dooku around the end of AOTC. )

And if sand people had a voice it would likely be Native American caricatures, their portrayal in the EU gives them this weird honorable, noble savage vibe. Living off the land, using all of the buffalo (bantha), that kinda poo poo.

Also I'd like to say to everyone that Wat Temblor is dope as hell simply because of his cool robo voice he has to deliver his one line. Based on this metric my other favorite prequel character is Sebulba's pod racer. Not Sebulba, his race car, that thing makes an awesome other worldly "WHUP WHUP WHUP" sound.

http://youtu.be/LLR6NsCL4_A

Edit: I know who cares and all but guys, his name is Poggle.
All the dumb EU I consume is clone wars and OG trilogy era, I don't care for the dawn of Jedi, old republic or future new republic stuff so the who's who of the CIS is a thing I've heard a lot about, there's a lot of clone wars era crap out there.

AND another thing to bitch about, I found the first half of the new dawn of the force or whatever book on YouTube ( the rebels prequel) holy poo poo is the main character the most unlikeable gently caress, he's written as a snarky perma 13 year olds idea of badass always full of 'tude.

Who the gently caress is that supposed to appeal to? 13 year old boys I guess? His response to every other character is "out of my way, smell you later DWEEB!" Or if it's a lady, "hey babe, you sure are a BABE!" Why oh why would anyone choose to spend hours and hours in the company of such a total poo poo head. This poo poo is supposed to be entertainment, not a race to the most cringe inducing moments possible. It's basically Poochie the fuckin Jedi.

And the main bad guy is Count Vidian (not vader) he has cybernetic limbs and a robot voice and is an imperial but totally not vader guys, just a dude that's exactly like him in almost every way.

Sebulba's podracer was the poo poo. It sounded like Satan's diesel truck. :black101:

Also. that's a 40 year old's idea of a 13 year old's idea of a badass. No one has talked like that since 1996 or so.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

freethought posted:

it's a typo, George was trying to introduce homosexuality into the star wars universe with his trademark tactfulness.

Pretty sure they did this already with Ziro the Hutt, who owns a night club and speaks english in the Star Wars Clone Wars aka "Lucas poo poo attempt at Pixar or something".

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Stackpole is pretty bad outside of combat scenes. Here's a fun Stackpole drinking game:
Take a drink every time:
- Someone says "Point."
- Kirtan Loor is compared to Tarkin (drink twice if his widow's peak is mentioned)
- Someone praises Corran (drink twice if the scene started with them doubting him)
- Isard's eyes or the nickname "ice heart" are mentioned.
- Some stupid slang like "squints", "eyeballs", etc is used.
Whenever someone advocates for furry sex or tries to gently caress Corran, finish your drink.

I remember way too much about those loving books. Aaron Allston's books are pretty good with fun characters though.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Tender Bender posted:

Stackpole is pretty bad outside of combat scenes. Here's a fun Stackpole drinking game:
Take a drink every time:
- Someone says "Point."
- Kirtan Loor is compared to Tarkin (drink twice if his widow's peak is mentioned)
- Someone praises Corran (drink twice if the scene started with them doubting him)
- Isard's eyes or the nickname "ice heart" are mentioned.
- Some stupid slang like "squints", "eyeballs", etc is used.
Whenever someone advocates for furry sex or tries to gently caress Corran, finish your drink.

I remember way too much about those loving books. Aaron Allston's books are pretty good with fun characters though.

- Nawara Ven being a Lawyer gets mentioned
- Booster Terrik disapproves of corran or is mentioned in the context of disapproving of Corran
- You see the word "CorSec"
- You see the word "Impossible"
- General Salm blows a gasket over something involving Tycho

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

TheSpiritFox posted:

- Nawara Ven being a Lawyer gets mentioned
- Booster Terrik disapproves of corran or is mentioned in the context of disapproving of Corran
- You see the word "CorSec"
- You see the word "Impossible"
- General Salm blows a gasket over something involving Tycho

-The manufacturer and model number of the particular spacecraft is mentioned

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

San Hill is the best CIS leader.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Gammatron 64 posted:

I was having a conversation with a couple guys the other day and none of us could actually name any decent star wars books that weren't the Thrawn books or X-Wing novels and even those aren't all that fantastic and have plenty of dumb poo poo.

Shatterpoint and the Medstar series are pretty good (all things being relative to the rest of the EU, ofc)

The AC Crispin Han Solo trilogy for sure as well.

Maybe the original solo trilogy too. Outbound Flight book was pretty good but can pretty much be tucked under 'Thrawn' books. probably some others im forgetting

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fetus Tree posted:

Shatterpoint and the Medstar series are pretty good (all things being relative to the rest of the EU, ofc)

The AC Crispin Han Solo trilogy for sure as well.

Maybe the original solo trilogy too. Outbound Flight book was pretty good but can pretty much be tucked under 'Thrawn' books. probably some others im forgetting

Darth Plagueis

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
that loving like, evil surveyor machine though. i cant get over it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fetus Tree posted:

that loving like, evil surveyor machine though. i cant get over it.

It wasn't evil. It was programmed to blow everything up, killing Rugess Nome AKA Darth Tenebrous

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
also adding Revenge of the Sith novel and Scoundrels to the list.

redshirt posted:

It wasn't evil. It was programmed to blow everything up, killing Rugess Nome AKA Darth Tenebrous

idk, maybe ill give it another shot

also, i personally really like bounty hunter wars trilogy but theyre probably garbage, even if i found them enjoyable. bossk vs fett is hilarious

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
What dark drain are you circling that you read the novelization of a prequel

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Kasonic posted:

What dark drain are you circling that you read the novelization of a prequel

Its a good book for a sw book

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Fetus Tree posted:

Its a good book for a sw book

I'll 2nd it, read last time I was between jobs, nothing better to do than read free star wars books from the library. Much better written than the film and actually fleshed out a lot of the story.

Right now I'm about 2 hours into the Death Troopers audiobook. More fun then it should be but after Maul: Lockdown I've had enough of prison settings.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Death Troopers was really bad

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Death Troopers was really bad

It'd take amazing writing to make that concept work.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
what's worse starwars eu or battletech books?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

TOILETLORD posted:

MAN MADE LIGHTNING.

Stackpole is/was a major EU writer.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

TOILETLORD posted:

these are battletech books from japan

(I own them, because I like the cover artist, and asked someone to "find out what these books are" for me and they ended up just sending me copies)

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Light Gun Man posted:

these are battletech books from japan

(I own them, because I like the cover artist, and asked someone to "find out what these books are" for me and they ended up just sending me copies)

better art than most 80's battletech and 70's starwars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

It'd take amazing writing to make that concept work.

I think there's promise in a longer story aboard a derelict Star Destroyer like in the beginning of the book but they drop that real fast.

LOL 3 hours in and Han Solo outta nowhere, gonna get nice and dumb now.

• Locked thread