Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Cultural Imperial posted:

Yeah really I don't see how this loving thing is any different than leasing a v6 accord and a parking spot.

At least a v6 accord won't have load-bearing particleboard. I bet the shoddily constructed mobile home will make a condo look like a reliable low-maintenance piece of housing by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

I'm guessing that thing is 100sqft. That's $400/sqft. C'mon man

Hold on, I'm on the line to get one myself right now.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Facebook vancouver friends celebrating that they can finally afford to be home owners thanks to the rate drop...

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Its mostly older mobile homes that had load bearing particle board and liquid nails attached studs/walls. Pre-1990s in general. After that time period things start to improve though I still wouldn't call them decently made up until around the late 1990's/early 2000's. They're on par quality wise with the cheaper built homes these days but the price has also gone up dramatically for them when brand new. The price also plummets dramatically for one after a few years use though. They depreciate worse than cars so look at slightly to moderately used ones if you're interested in one.

They're definitely not for everyone but they can be surprisingly decent and affordable to live in these days. The real trouble is finding one in a trailer park that isn't scummy as heck or a retirement community that won't let you live there. If you can put up with the driving distances you can sometimes find them on the outskirts of the suburban areas on a acre or 2 for non stupid prices even in a bubble.

Don't plan on ever making money selling them if you do buy one. Also try to buy one that is on a concrete or block foundation. The metal and concrete piers that rest on the ground are what you normally see used to support a mobile home because they're cheap but they also cause the house to shift too much and become uneven over time. Cracks will open up in the outer shell on the sides and roof and once that happens water will get in and then repairs get real expensive and real difficult in a very little amount of time. If you do get one on metal/concrete piers then get it checked for level every year or 2 + inspect the roof/exterior 2-3 times a year. Particularly before and after winter. A pound of prevention will be worth fucktons of cure here.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
My buddy had a cabin with uninsulated walls, not unlike a caravan or this pile of garbage. Guess what temperature it gets when it's 5 outside? Yeah it's 5 inside. 0 outside? 0 inside. I hope you like spending money on fuel.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Paying off bubble prices requires more than living within your means though. Particularly if you're making the median national wage or less. In that situation you need to not only live as a ascetic but to also not have any financial disasters befall you for at least a decade or 2.

A clearly unreasonable situation to be in.

She paid it off 4 years ago, it took her 6 years to pay it off. She bought in 2004.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
So pre bubble years for Canada. Good on her but that is still pretty tough for most people to do. Even with making large sacrifices in their standard of living due to the stagnating/declining wages over the last few decades.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A lot of people can't afford their debt load but are 100% sure their equity will build faster than their debt so they'll come out ahead in the end. Even if it means they need to take out more debt to pay off their debt, which they know is absolutely unsustainable, but their house will be worth 100,000 more in a few years unless the government does something anti-homeowner so it's all good.

A lot of people go into huge non-housing debt because they have no money to spend after their mortgage payments, so everything else goes on credit card or some other form of loan. But they can keep that up for 5 years at least, maybe they'll have 50k in debt after that, but their house will be 100k more so that's 50k profit. And surely by then they'll be making more money. They can sell the house, pay off all their debts and use that 50k for the minimum down payment on a bigger house, and repeat!

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 22, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
An oldie but a goodie reminding us the cost of living in the best place in earth

Check out @jason_kirby's Tweet: https://twitter.com/jason_kirby/status/558275543108714496?s=09

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

So pre bubble years for Canada. Good on her but that is still pretty tough for most people to do. Even with making large sacrifices in their standard of living due to the stagnating/declining wages over the last few decades.

Yeah, it worked out well for her, there were a couple of years I tried to convince her that putting the lump sum into the markets would be a better idea but she is "risk adverse" so always put it into her condo. She makes good money and even maxed out her RRSPs nearly every year, I don't know how she did it sometimes.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Baronjutter posted:

A lot of people can't afford their debt load but are 100% sure their equity will build faster than their debt so they'll come out ahead in the end. Even if it means they need to take out more debt to pay off their debt, which they know is absolutely unsustainable, but their house will be worth 100,000 more in a few years unless the government does something anti-homeowner so it's all good.

A lot of people go into huge non-housing debt because they have no money to spend after their mortgage payments, so everything else goes on credit card or some other form of loan. But they can keep that up for 5 years at least, maybe they'll have 50k in debt after that, but their house will be 100k more so that's 50k profit. And surely by then they'll be making more money. They can sell the house, pay off all their debts and use that 50k for the minimum down payment on a bigger house, and repeat!

This is mindboggling to me, it's just so precarious, the slightest thing changes and everything you built collapses. Slapdash economics.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I don't know of anyone who does this (though this might be due to having relatively few friends who own, and if someone did do this I'm guessing they wouldn't blather about it to anyone).

Actually fun fact: we pay only a little more now for our mortgage + utilities than when we rented. We were getting hosed at the last place though, so ymmv.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

This is mindboggling to me, it's just so precarious, the slightest thing changes and everything you built collapses. Slapdash economics.

And a shockingly large number of the voting public are in this situation or something close to it, which is why no party will touch the issue. No one wants to be the person to tip over the house of cards, so they just wait until it falls over on its own, all while frantically trying to buttress things.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Baronjutter posted:

And a shockingly large number of the voting public are in this situation or something close to it, which is why no party will touch the issue. No one wants to be the person to tip over the house of cards, so they just wait until it falls over on its own, all while frantically trying to buttress things.

It makes about as much sense as avoiding medical treatment because you don't like doctors, sure it might suck now, but it will suck a whole hell of a lot worse later on because they neglected it and let it get so bad it could not be ignored. The political class should be hung from the loving rafters, anyone who was paying attention could tell what was going on and it's the job of the people supposedly running things to manage stuff like this. :cripes:

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Do you have sources for any of this or are you pulling it out of your rear end?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It makes about as much sense as avoiding medical treatment because you don't like doctors, sure it might suck now, but it will suck a whole hell of a lot worse later on because they neglected it and let it get so bad it could not be ignored. The political class should be hung from the loving rafters, anyone who was paying attention could tell what was going on and it's the job of the people supposedly running things to manage stuff like this. :cripes:

This is literally my wife when it comes to dentists. "I don't want to go to the dentist because he'll almost certainly need to do work on my teeth, also I haven't been in a long time so the work will probably be really bad". And we have a good dental plan. I probably need some work done too, but now I'm terrified every dentist is a rapist and or will trick/up-sell us into expensive and unneeded procedures.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Baudin posted:

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/globe-...?service=mobile

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

That article doesn't have a reference to anything he was talking about.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Baudin posted:

That article doesn't have a reference to anything he was talking about.

Try reading the 250 pages of thread that predate your arrival.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Franks Happy Place posted:

Try reading the 250 pages of thread that predate your arrival.

I did. You guys make a lot of claims without actually having proof.

e: or use "proof" which doesn't actually say what you claim it does, which is even better.

e2: which is really :cripes: worthy for me because I agree with a lot of points brought up, but the hyperbole is a bit much

Baudin fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 22, 2015

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Canadian household debt sitting at 162% of income isn't hyperbole, and if you want to hand wave it away and be obtuse then I guess that's your prerogative.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

http://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/comments/2t5cd5/an_alternative_to_the_hellish_housing_costs_in/

This loving "tiny house movement" cracks me the gently caress up.

Build equity in a 40k outhouse with strata fees. Good job doing the math there hipster mark carney

This is my favorite tiny house story. No insurance, no hitchlock, no house. Boggles the mind. https://caseyfriday.com/2014/12/end-of-an-era-our-tiny-house-was-stolen/

quote:

The online Tiny House Community – with the exception of a small group of wonderful people (maybe even you included!) – is largely a group of miserable human beings who feel overly entitled. I am so sick of their poo poo.

1) Was your tiny house insured?

No. I had a quote ready to go, and when our house was completely finished (about three weeks from when it was stolen), that quote could have gone into effect. There was no other way to insure it during the construction process. There was no builders insurance available for this type of structure.

2) Did you have a hitch lock / chain the tires / remove the wheels?

No. I pad-locked the chains around the hitch receiver, but a motivated thief would have had bolt cutters and gotten through whatever’s necessary to make the steal. If we removed the wheels, we would have put them in the cabin – which was also broken into during this theft (they broke a window to get in). The tiny house was also not chained to a tree, in case you were wondering.

3) Did you have a GPS tracker in the walls?

What the gently caress? NO!

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Rime posted:

Canadian household debt sitting at 162% of income isn't hyperbole, and if you want to hand wave it away and be obtuse then I guess that's your prerogative.

But that debt isn't all sitting in credit cards which would be insane, it's sitting in lower interest mortgages, debt financed car loans (which are awful but less bad than credit cards), and lines of credit (which are similar). That's also disposable income, not gross or even net. It's not good by any means, but the way you word it Canadians literally owe more than they make in a year which isn't true.

Goddamnit that's what I get for posting without double checking first.
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/disposableincome.asp

http://business.financialpost.com/2014/12/15/canadians-household-debt-hits-record-162-of-disposable-income/

quote:

Credit-market debt such as mortgages rose to 162.6 per cent of disposable income, Statistics Canada said Monday in Ottawa. The second-quarter figure was revised to 161.5 per cent from an initial 163.6 per cent.

Baudin fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 22, 2015

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Baudin posted:

That's also disposable income, not gross or even net.
What do you think "disposable income" means?

e: to be less of a jerk, disposable income is your income after taxes and benefits, i.e. your takehome pay. It's not "money you have left over after paying all your taxes and covering all your living expenses." If the average Canadian household is carrying debt equal to 162% of disposable income, they do indeed owe more than they make in a year.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 22, 2015

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

LemonDrizzle posted:

What do you think "disposable income" means?

Is it the money you have left to throw away on luxury goods as long as your mortgage rate remains below 4% for the next 20 years?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Baudin posted:

Which part are you objecting to, specifically?

Here are some stats I guess:

47% of Canadians still live paycheque to paycheque posted:

But there are still a large number that would face difficulties after one week of not receiving their cheques, and savings rates remain low, the results show.

The survey by the Canadian Payroll Association found 47 per cent saying they would be in financial dire straits if their pay was delayed as little as a week.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...article4522904/

quote:

Of the $1.3 trillion of debts owed by Canadians in 2012, $1.0 trillion (77.0%) was in mortgages, a share virtually unchanged from 1999. However, the total amount of mortgage debt has increased substantially, up from $453.6 billion in 1999 and $650.8 billion in 2005.

In 2012, total debts in lines of credit amounted to $144.9 billion, up from $33.2 billion in 1999 and $77.5 billion in 2005. One-quarter of family units had lines of credit in 2012, the same as in 2005, but up from 15.4% in 1999. The median line of credit debt was $15,000 in 2012, up from $6,600 in 1999 and $10,200 in 2005.

About 40% of Canadian family units carried an outstanding balance on their credit cards in 2012, virtually unchanged from 1999 and 2005. The median amount was $3,000 in 2012, up 25.0% from 1999 and 11.1% from 2005.

In 2012, $28.3 billion was owed in student loans, up 44.1% from 1999 and 24.4% from 2005. In 2012, one in eight family units had student loans with a median value of $10,000.

Debt load can be measured as the amount of debt owed for every $100 held in assets. Canadian family units had a debt load of $14.21 in 2012, up from $13.06 in 1999. Family units with the major income recipient under 35 years old had the highest debt load in 2012 at $36.44, compared with $3.50 for all senior family units. With a debt load of $29.08 in 2012, family units with the major income recipient between 35 and 44 years old experienced the largest increase, up from $21.28 in 1999.
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/140225/dq140225b-eng.htm

Someone can do the math better than me but extrapolating from http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/famil109-eng.htm then the total debt load between 1995 and 2012 has doubled, adjusted for inflation.

quote:

On the debt side, more than three-quarters of total debt owed by Canadians stems from mortgages. The total amount of mortgage debt grew “substantially” in recent years, Statscan said, to $1-trillion in 2012 from $650.8-billion in 2005. The median value of mortgages was also higher in 2012 than in previous years.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/canadian-families-worth-more-but-owe-more-too-statscan/article17078187/

quote:

Household debt service ratio (household mortgage and non-mortgage interest paid as a proportion of disposable income) declined to 6.9% in the second quarter. However, household credit debt (consumer credit, mortgages and other loans) rose by 1.3 per cent in the quarter.

As a result, the ratio of credit debt to disposable income, a closely watched measure of the household debt burden, rose to 163.6 per cent, inching up after two successive declines but remaining just below the record 164.1 per cent hit last year.

But the longer-term slowdown in debt growth remained intact, according to a Statistics Canada report Friday, with a year-over-year rise in household debts of just 4.1 per cent, the slowest pace since 2001. On top of that, the debt service ratio – interest payments relative to disposable income – dropped to 6.9 per cent for the lowest in on records dating back 24 years.

Meanwhile, household net worth rose 2.3 per cent in the second quarter, to a record $8.1-trillion (or $227,000 per person), driven primarily by a continued rise in real estate values. As a result, the ratio of household credit market debt to net worth – another gauge of consumers’ capacity for debt – fell to 22.3 per cent from 22.5 per cent from the first quarter, the lowest level in six years.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...rticle20573363/

Which is to say, if interest rates rise and housing appreciation evaporates, that ratio gets a lot worse. The home prices are massively inflated (by 30% - 60% depending on who you ask) and if there's a price correction downwards, that net worth disappears while the debt remains.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 22, 2015

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
And there are many, many, many Canadians who are leveraged out the rear end on high-interest credit cards. I'm talking $30k+ that they can't pay down because the banks gave them that much credit while making minimum wage.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

http://www.timescolonist.com/business/league-group-co-founder-says-he-s-effectively-homeless-1.1003516

“I’m truly sorry and distressed that your investment is tied up in this CCAA process. While it likely won’t make you feel any better, I felt it important that you know mine is too,” he wrote, noting he invested the bulk of his savings in League’s IGW real estate investment trust and smaller amounts in other League investment vehicles.
Arruda said he also used two personal lines of credit to borrow $150,000 to invest in League, and used a $45,000 bank overdraft to lend money to League when it faced financial difficulty.
“I believed in our investments and our mission as much as you did,” he wrote. “My own investment choices speak volumes about my intentions and expected outcomes for League and its investments, and my character.”

Actual developers putting them selves into crazy debt to build 25 story condos in the middle of rural nowhere because they truly believe.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 22, 2015

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I don't know anyone who expressly planned on using profits from a home sale to bail them out of untenable situations, but I definitely know plenty of people for which that ended up being the case. Those people have typically struggled to keep themselves at sustainable debt loads their entire lives though.

That said I doubt there is any hard data on that exact scenario.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

I don't know anyone who expressly planned on using profits from a home sale to bail them out of untenable situations, but I definitely know plenty of people for which that ended up being the case. Those people have typically struggled to keep themselves at sustainable debt loads their entire lives though.

That said I doubt there is any hard data on that exact scenario.

True, and good posts all around guys. I really shouldn't post in a rush :v:

e:
I'm far more worried about Canadians being unable to service debts due to increased interest rate costs or job losses than people that extend during the boom beyond their means. Or assholes like this:
http://www.reca.ca/consumers/publications/news-releases/2014/14-11-13-Derek-Johnson.htm
or stuff like this:
http://globalnews.ca/news/1562152/owners-of-condemned-penhorwood-condos-told-to-demolish-building-or-serve-jail-time/

Baudin fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 22, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

etalian posted:

I like how he defends his solution, saying at least he has outdoors and fresh air, unlike in a lowly apartment complex.

I live in a condo about 3 km to the east of that clown and pay less than he does with 600 sq feet and indoor plumbing. Plus I'm not literally next to a sewage treatment plant/under a bridge/surrounded by busy roads on all sides/near industrial train tracks/on a flood plain/next to a crime-ridden reserve etc. It's one of the worst places you could choose to live at that price.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Crossposting this in badwithmoney.txt because it's pretty lol.

read your loving contracts, toolbag posted:

Hey guys, I would really appreciate some advice. Very simple facts: 1) I signed up for an online trading platform, Questrade; 2) I transferred $10 000 Canadian (CAD) cash to my Questrade trading account; 3) I bought stocks that traded on the New York Stock Exchange.

The problem is that Questrade somehow gave me a loan for $10k US dollars (USD) since the stocks were sold in US dollars. I just found out this today and it was a complete surprise. I never asked for a loan and never even knew they gave out loans. I thought they would just convert my CAD to USD and that's it. Thus, they've been charging me 6.25% monthly interest on a $10k USD loan - for 2 years now! And my $10k CAD has been sitting idly in my account. So, I've lost ~$1k CAD to interest and ~$2k due to the low CAD-USD exchange rate (my ~$10k CAD cash is worth only ~$8k USD at the moment).

I feel like I've been cheated out of $3000 since I was completely unaware that I had a loan for the past 2 years. I never asked for a loan and never signed a loan agreement. They do show the interest when you log in online and navigate to a certain page but I never checked that page and stopped logging in online 2-3 months after I bought the stocks - I just let them sit there and would check my gains/losses on Google.

Ideally, I want my $1k of interest back and I don't want to absolve the $2k losses from the currency exchange. Any advice on how to go about this? Do I have any avenues for recourse? I can't even believe this is legal.

EDIT: specifically, I am wondering if there is some kind of loan dispute Tribunal or if I can take them to small claims court?

This is what Canadians actually believe.

In the spirit of the housing megathread, some mortgage lenders will find themselves up against the wall then the crash comes! Uninsured private mortgages at 5-15% interest for up to 95% of the cost of your house! Or if you want to bankroll this enterprise, you can average a return of 13% or more! Buy now!

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Guest2553 posted:

In the spirit of the housing megathread, some mortgage lenders will find themselves up against the wall then the crash comes! Uninsured private mortgages at 5-15% interest for up to 95% of the cost of your house! Or if you want to bankroll this enterprise, you can average a return of 13% or more! Buy now!
I don't think you get how these things work, friend. When it all blows up, those shadow lenders suddenly become systemically important so the government is obliged to step in and exchange their toxic unpayable debt piles for nice freshly minted cash, leaving the taxpayer to deal with the... questionable assets.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

I live in a condo about 3 km to the east of that clown and pay less than he does with 600 sq feet and indoor plumbing. Plus I'm not literally next to a sewage treatment plant/under a bridge/surrounded by busy roads on all sides/near industrial train tracks/on a flood plain/next to a crime-ridden reserve etc. It's one of the worst places you could choose to live at that price.

Still can't get over how he paid $40,000 cash to live down by the river and also pay $900 per month lot fee.

At least he isn't throwing his money away renting!

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Guest2553 posted:

If this guy is using the value of his mortgage business to take out business loans and then using it to make loans to people, hasn't he effectively reinvented the CDO?

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

etalian posted:

Still can't get over how he paid $40,000 cash to live down by the river and also pay $900 per month lot fee.

He doesn't have to worry about retirement, he will likely die in a fire started by the gas heater he uses to heat the uninsulated povertyshack.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

etalian posted:

$900/month lot fee? gently caress me, that's quite a bit of money for a tiny bit of land.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

MickeyFinn posted:

If this guy is using the value of his mortgage business to take out business loans and then using it to make loans to people, hasn't he effectively reinvented the CDO?

It worked for Japan :colbert:

up until like 1989

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

PT6A posted:

$900/month lot fee? gently caress me, that's quite a bit of money for a tiny bit of land.

At 3.5% interest and assuming land rent doesn't increase, with the same payments, dude could have bought a $686,000 piece of property ($900 monthly payment + 40k down) instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

on the left posted:

He doesn't have to worry about retirement, he will likely die in a fire started by the gas heater he uses to heat the uninsulated povertyshack.

From the pics can't stop lolling how a nerdy dude thought it would be a good idea paying a premium to live in a mobile home park.

Also no indoor plumbing, heating or other installed utilities.