Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I'm trying to think of good examples of Lawful Evil characters from fantasy literature as an inspiration for a D&D character - the best I can come up with is Lord Vetinari from the Discworld series. Any other decent ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Peas and Rice posted:

I'm trying to think of good examples of Lawful Evil characters from fantasy literature as an inspiration for a D&D character - the best I can come up with is Lord Vetinari from the Discworld series. Any other decent ones?

Claude Frollo for sure. Does The Hunchback of Notre Dame count as fantasy literature? I'm just gonna guess it does.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Peas and Rice posted:

Littlefinger.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Peas and Rice posted:

Anything else to go on besides Lawful Evil?

Marcone from Dresden? Though urban fantasy might not be a good fit.

The Lord Ruler from Mistborn acts like your typical LE overlord type guy.

Umbridge or Lucius Malfoy from Harry Potter, I guess as well.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Peas and Rice posted:

Sauron

Sauraman

Darth Vader

Lexx Luther

Jafar (you know, from Aladin)

(I think anyway, I'm new to the alignment thing).

EDIT: I know you said fantasy but just pick anyone and adopt it to fantasy.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 22, 2015

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Peas and Rice posted:

Classifying fictional characters into nine-point alignment invariably turns into a shitstorm. But anyway. Dolores Umbridge, the Sheriff of Nottingham, Darth Vader. Any tyrant type who wants to rule because he/she Knows What's Best For You.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Selachian posted:

Classifying fictional characters into nine-point alignment invariably turns into a shitstorm. But anyway. Dolores Umbridge, the Sheriff of Nottingham, Darth Vader. Any tyrant type who wants to rule because he/she Knows What's Best For You.

I was going to point out that Lord Vetinari isn't evil but stopped myself because I suspected this is what happens.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Kitchner posted:

Sauron

Sauraman

Darth Vader

Lexx Luther

Jafar (you know, from Aladin)

(I think anyway, I'm new to the alignment thing).

These are all pretty good. LoTR guys might lean more Neutral Evil- depends on how much organizational skill affects the Law axis of alignment.

Pretty much anybody who either operates within the laws of society or actively manipulates the laws of society in order to commit acts of evil counts. High ranking noblemen who use their influence to get away with crimes, crooked guard captains, and the like.

A lawful evil antagonist who operates at a lower position of power might be the equivalent of a litigious patent-troll- somebody who uses the law as a means to attack other people.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
The alignment system is dumb as hell. If anyone needs to know the alignment of your villians just say they're neutral evil.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Peas and Rice posted:

Preface: Alignment is dumb.

However, LE is basically the Loyal Henchman alignment. Most boss bad guys are too ambitious to be Lawful IMO.

I know you asked for fantasy examples, but the Decepticon Soundwave is who comes to my mind. Darth Vader definitely works too.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Okay, so a Rogue needs a weapon to be Light so he can dual-wield it, Finesse so he can use his DEX modifier with it, and Simple so he has proficiency with it. That pretty much leaves us with just a dagger.

1d4+5 damage on the main-hand and 1d4 damage on the off-hand will average to 10 damage, but requires that the Rogue always use his Bonus Action for the off-hand attack or else it's just 7.5 damage from the main-hand and the Rogue doesn't have access to the Two Weapon Fighting Fighting Style to allow the off-hand attack to gain the DEX modifier damage bonus

1d8+5 damage from a Light Crossbow will average to 9.5 damage, and consumes just the Normal Action, and doesn't require access to the Crossbow Expert feat since a Rogue doesn't gain extra attacks, and lets him stay at range

So mostly no, being ranged is way better. Melee would only pull ahead if the Rogue could get the Dual Wielder feat so he could ignore the Light requirement and use dual 1d8 Finesse Rapiers

Rogues can dual wield short swords. If they are in melee along with an ally they get their sneak attack every round as well.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

deadly_pudding posted:

These are all pretty good. LoTR guys might lean more Neutral Evil- depends on how much organizational skill affects the Law axis of alignment.

Reason I picked them was because Sauron's original reason for becoming evil was to bring order to chaos etc which let's be fair is always the motivations for the best villains.

I think the system is as good as any other as long as everyone remembers it's not binary.

Oh just remembered, Magneto would be Lawful Evil too I guess as he has a code that he sticks to and wants to build a new world order.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Sanzuo posted:

Rogues can dual wield short swords. If they are in melee along with an ally they get their sneak attack every round as well.

This is what I've been doing, so if both hit I'm getting 1D6+4 x 2 and then D6 extra damage, which ain't bad.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Kitchner posted:

This is what I've been doing, so if both hit I'm getting 1D6+4 x 2 and then D6 extra damage, which ain't bad.

Remember, off hand doesn't get ability damage.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Couple of British comic book characters: Torquemada from Nemesis The Warlock ("Be pure! Be vigilant! BEHAVE!"), and Blackblood from ABC Warriors. And Judge Dredd, maybe, although he's more Lawful Bastard.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Sanzuo posted:

Remember, off hand doesn't get ability damage.

I have actually been doing that, just didn't put it in the post. Oops!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Payndz posted:

Couple of British comic book characters: Torquemada from Nemesis The Warlock ("Be pure! Be vigilant! BEHAVE!"), and Blackblood from ABC Warriors. And Judge Dredd, maybe, although he's more Lawful Bastard.

Judge Dredd is definitely either Lawful Neutral or Lawful Good(not Lawful Nice).

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Ooh, Lawful [Some Word] has hit the thread. Someone start an argument about what alignment Batman is, I have a bingo card to fill out.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 22, 2015

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Alignment is actually a perfect fit for next because it's both TRADITION and nobody knows how the gently caress it's supposed to work.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
roll a d20 to align the pee pee with the doo doo

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Next's own alignment is clearly Chaotic Neutral.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sanzuo posted:

I forgot about short swords. 1d6 Finesse Light and a second chance at triggering Sneak Attack probably means it's better than a Light Crossbow if you can spare the Bonus Action and can survive in melee, yes.

To be clear though, you don't need to be in melee with someone to trigger Sneak Attack. An ally just has to be all up in the target's grill while you plink away with bolts.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

^^ Ohhhhh... well my group's rogue will be happy to hear that.

I sort of think of alignment as being there but not really affecting anything. I think it's okay for monsters and npcs so I can kinda see at a glance how they are supposed to be played.

Sanzuo fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 22, 2015

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

quote:

Littlefinger. Dolores Umbridge. Magneto.

Perfect, awesome. This is actually my character in our Forgotten Realms game (a setting which I know gently caress all about) and I did a dispossessed noble Drow matron as my background who has an enormous chip on her shoulder and is fighting to get her House back. So Lawful Evil seemed like a good alignment. I just wanted to think of some ideas to play her well, but not be "that guy" who turns his alignment into an excuse to be an rear end in a top hat.

Alternate solution: simply don't play like an rear end in a top hat. :downs:

E: Vetinari just seemed like an example of an evil character who can still get along well with others.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Alignment worked much better when it was just you're either Lawful and Chaos; whoever's on the opposite alignment will fight you and whoever's on the same alignment will talk to you.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Alignment is the very worst part of D&D.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Peas and Rice posted:

Perfect, awesome. This is actually my character in our Forgotten Realms game (a setting which I know gently caress all about) and I did a dispossessed noble Drow matron as my background who has an enormous chip on her shoulder and is fighting to get her House back. So Lawful Evil seemed like a good alignment. I just wanted to think of some ideas to play her well, but not be "that guy" who turns his alignment into an excuse to be an rear end in a top hat.

Alternate solution: simply don't play like an rear end in a top hat. :downs:

E: Vetinari just seemed like an example of an evil character who can still get along well with others.

Lawful Evil PC in my campaign was super loyal to her friends and way into contracts and agreements, but was otherwise kind of a depraved sociopath. It worked out pretty well.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

gradenko_2000 posted:

Alignment worked much better when it was just you're either Lawful and Chaos; whoever's on the opposite alignment will fight you and whoever's on the same alignment will talk to you.

I've always liked the idea of lawful societies of different races having very thorough treaties with each other. Like dwarves and fire giants.

Honestly I think of most real life people as lawful evil. Especially attorneys and politicians.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Esser-Z posted:

Alignment is the very worst part of D&D.

But think of all the online arguments that would have been avoided without it.

E:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Isn't this how DCC does it? Makes WAY more sense.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Yea, tbh it is probably better to just scratch out alignment entirely.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

mastershakeman posted:

I've always liked the idea of lawful societies of different races having very thorough treaties with each other. Like dwarves and fire giants.

Honestly I think of most real life people as lawful evil. Especially attorneys and politicians.

No real person has ever been a D&D alignment because they're hilarious caricatures of morality/uniforms to tell you who it's okay to kill.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

It was proto-keywording in B/X, so that certain spells and items could work off them. Undead were evil dudes, so protection from evil worked on them and other evil things.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Chaotic Neutral: Charlie Hepdo

Chaotic Evil: ISIS

Why did the latter attack the former? Answer me THAT DnD alignment system!

Also after the CIA reports Dick Cheney is definitely Lawful Evil too, so you may want to base your character literally entirely around him.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Kitchner posted:

Also after the CIA reports Dick Cheney is definitely Lawful Evil too, so you may want to base your character literally entirely around him.

BRB, casting Magic Missile at my allies' faces.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

isndl posted:

I like how they gloss over his rather poor accuracy when firing that fast against a target that close. Not to mention the draw on that bow is pretty much guaranteed to be below standard for a war bow.
Maybe an exceptionally talented archer would be more accurate while maintaining speed. Maybe they could do all that with a stronger bow, too.
You could almost say it would be heroic. Something fantastic.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kitchner posted:

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance already did that.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I scream "WHERE IS BIN LADEN?!?" into the Goblin's face and slap him.

*rolls dice*

He splutters "I don't know, please, stop..."

I cast "Create Food and Water" and magically summon 30 gallons of water into the nearby barrel and tell the Goblin he has one last chance.

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013
I can't believe nobody brought up

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Play fourteen sessions of your players uncovering the secrets of the Thay-Cormyr Affair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Littlefinger posted:

Maybe an exceptionally talented archer would be more accurate while maintaining speed. Maybe they could do all that with a stronger bow, too.
You could almost say it would be heroic. Something fantastic.

Don't be ridiculous. He would obviously have a magical Bow of Speed +2, specially crafted by the party Wizard and blessed by the party Cleric for extra power against evil. He could never achieve such a feat on his own.