Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

juliuspringle posted:

Try this. Amazon has a sample you can read to see if you like it before you spend money.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Line-William-LJ-Galaini/dp/1481049453/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

You sure post that in here a lot :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

juliuspringle posted:

Try this. Amazon has a sample you can read to see if you like it before you spend money.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Line-William-LJ-Galaini/dp/1481049453/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

Oh man, I leave the thread for a couple of hours and so many good recommendations come along. So far I've got:

The Line
The Kindle App (I totally forgot about that)
Calibre
Forever Peace (I read Forever War and loved it but not Forever Peace)
The Culture series
Dune
The Dragon Never Sleeps
Hostile Takeover
Good god there's a lot of books
Blindsight

I miss anything spectacular?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Hedrigall posted:

You sure post that in here a lot :raise:

Haha, seriously. Hired promo? Actually the author?

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Sorry I want to talk about a Sci Fi book I liked in the Sci Fi thread. Next time I'll make sure I only post about authors that are terrible people.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I mean, you've only ever posted about that one book.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

The Ninth Layer posted:

I mean, you've only ever posted about that one book.

I haven't really read alot of Sci Fi :smith: For years most of what I read was Stephen King and poo poo like that.

I have stuff to drop at the library on Friday though so feel free to tell me stuff to look for.

juliuspringle fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 21, 2015

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

RVProfootballer posted:

I haven't actually heard of him before. Is the Confluence trilogy a good place to start? Any other authors that he's particularly similar to?

I've only read a couple of books in his Quiet War series, and they reminded me a lot of Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy writ large across the solar system.

It sounds amazing but I find his prose really dry, so ymmv.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Eh, it's 2 bucks. I'll give it a shot based on that. The plot sounds kinda cool.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

RVProfootballer posted:

I haven't actually heard of him before. Is the Confluence trilogy a good place to start? Any other authors that he's particularly similar to?

I liked his older stuff, like Eternal Light and 400 Billion Stars, it was sort of New Space Opera-ish (similar to, though not as good as, Banks or Reynolds). He's also done smaller scale stories like The Secret of Life and The Whole Wide World which I enjoyed. I never read the Confluence stuff, however.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Junkenstein posted:

epub-mobi conversion is as uncomplicated as it gets.

Mostly. You sometimes have to download an additional codec for your Kindle. When I first got my Paperwhite, Calibre had not yet integrated it, so anything that I converted didn't read correctly, including missing some pages, and it didn't convert chapters correctly.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

RVProfootballer posted:

I read the first Quiet War book of McCauley's and liked it a lot, matter of fact I have to check out the sequels now that I'm reminded of him. It's been a few years since reading it so I can't really remember well enough to compare his prose or whatever to anyone, but tone, character and plot wise I'd say he's reminiscent of Alasteir Reynolds or Gary Gibson. The only thing I remember not liking about it is that there were a couple of times where he'd go into too much description of stuff like geological formations and ecosystems for my tastes, though it wasn't enough to ruin my enjoyment.

SquadronROE posted:

Oh man, I leave the thread for a couple of hours and so many good recommendations come along. So far I've got:

The Line
Calibre
The Culture series
Dune
The Dragon Never Sleeps
Hostile Takeover
Blindsight

I don't know if you're only interested in outer space scifi, but since you asked, TC McCarthy's Subterrene War series is really good, some of my favorite scifi from the past few years. It's similar to the Forever War in some ways but takes place only on earth.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

SquadronROE posted:

If you've never read the Vorkosigan books they're a lot of fun and military-ish. If you can find a hardcover copy of Cryoburn (check your local library!) it has a CD in the back that contains ebooks of the entire series.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm not terribly far into it yet, but I have to say that Steve Erikson's Gardens of the Moon is definitely scratching my itch for something like Black Company. Weirdly, after years of really digging fantasy series where writers go into encyclopedic description of the world and its past and peoples, I kind of enjoy a book that refuses to hold your hand, or tell you much of anything. I like that magic is treated similarly to Black Company, where it's kind of this terrifying force to most people, but to the actual users it can range from completely destructive to misunderstood to practically mundane. I do hope the Warrens and Ascendants, at least, get some more explanation as the book(s) go on, though.

Also I'm just going to say it, maybe I'm getting old, but I love very dark, very cynical fantasy novels in a way I never thought I would when I was a 13-year-old learning Tolkien's elvish languages.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Bear Sleuth posted:

If you've never read the Vorkosigan books they're a lot of fun and military-ish. If you can find a hardcover copy of Cryoburn (check your local library!) it has a CD in the back that contains ebooks of the entire series.

And, you know, multiple Hugo-winning.

juliuspringle posted:

Sorry I want to talk about a Sci Fi book I liked in the Sci Fi thread.

Well I'm not stopping you, how about you say more than "you should read it"?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Bleh, barely any of the Glen Cook stuff being mentioned seems to be available on Kindle and of course the McAuley is £1.99 to the US's $1.99...

[edit] I've just read Fireblood and Dryad-born by Jeff Wheeler which are discounted on Kindle at the moment. They're not bad. Fireblood has some issues with tone at the start where certain bits of conversations etc don't achieve the effect the author seems to want. The uncle also has a touch of deus ex machina. Still, an enjoyable romp overall.

Munin fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 22, 2015

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

SquadronROE posted:

The Line
Calibre
The Culture series
Dune
The Dragon Never Sleeps
Hostile Takeover
Blindsight

The Polity series, by Neal Asher. I think someone already mentioned it.

If you like old-style hard SciFi, take a look at "Bowl of Heaven" and "Shipstar", by Larry Niven and Gregory Benford. It is really a single book published in two volumes, and the story is in the line of "Rendevous with Rama" or "Ringworld".

Someone also mentioned the Subterrene War series. It is non-space science fiction, and quite grim and dark, but loving brilliant.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm not terribly far into it yet, but I have to say that Steve Erikson's Gardens of the Moon is definitely scratching my itch for something like Black Company. Weirdly, after years of really digging fantasy series where writers go into encyclopedic description of the world and its past and peoples, I kind of enjoy a book that refuses to hold your hand, or tell you much of anything. I like that magic is treated similarly to Black Company, where it's kind of this terrifying force to most people, but to the actual users it can range from completely destructive to misunderstood to practically mundane. I do hope the Warrens and Ascendants, at least, get some more explanation as the book(s) go on, though.

Also I'm just going to say it, maybe I'm getting old, but I love very dark, very cynical fantasy novels in a way I never thought I would when I was a 13-year-old learning Tolkien's elvish languages.

You are in for one hell of a ride.
Tangentially related, I'm at the fouth book of Glen Cook's Garret PI series and enjoying it a lot. It's a tongue-in-cheek fantasy about a not-so grizzled gumshoe solving cases in a city that intentionally overplays a lot of fantasy tropes.
Kind of funny, I never heard about Cook before Erikson pointed to him as one of his sources of inspiration for Malazan and find myself liking the books of his that decidedly have nothing to do with it (since Black Company went really boring after four-ish books).

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

What's that Miller thing everyone was going on about before? That seems like a good place to start when I hit the library tomorrow.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

juliuspringle posted:

What's that Miller thing everyone was going on about before? That seems like a good place to start when I hit the library tomorrow.

He is one of the main characters of "Leviathan Wakes" (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8855321-leviathan-wakes), the first book of The Expanse series, which is the base for a TV show premiering later this year. All the fuss was about the actor casted to Miller's role, in comparison with everyone's self constructed image of that character.

The book is quite good. The series is quite irregular, but enjoyable.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
It's Miller time.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Kesper North posted:

It's Miller time.

The champagne of scifi gumshoes

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Amberskin posted:

The Polity series, by Neal Asher. I think someone already mentioned it.

If you like old-style hard SciFi, take a look at "Bowl of Heaven" and "Shipstar", by Larry Niven and Gregory Benford. It is really a single book published in two volumes, and the story is in the line of "Rendevous with Rama" or "Ringworld".

Someone also mentioned the Subterrene War series. It is non-space science fiction, and quite grim and dark, but loving brilliant.

Oh man I loved Rendezvous with Rama and Ringworld, I'll put that on the list too. Also Subterrene War. And multiple Hugo Award Winning Vorkosigan books.

Also I really don't like how they made Miller look. For some reason I had pictured someone far less attractive.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
The TV version of Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Mars is being written by Babylon 5 creator, J. Michael Straczynski
http://deadline.com/2015/01/j-michael-straczynski-red-mars-series-spike-1201354875/

B5 is still my all time favourite scifi show and I absolutely loved the Mars trilogy even though parts of it was a bit on the heavy side.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
I just finished reading Firefight by Brandon Sanderson. It's not bad, all things considered, but it feels like it would be vastly more interesting if the book had been from the perspective of it's titular character. At the very least she'd have a much less annoying sense of humor.

Also I'm convinced that David's aura of infectious confidence is supernatural in nature.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Munin posted:

Bleh, barely any of the Glen Cook stuff being mentioned seems to be available on Kindle and of course the McAuley is £1.99 to the US's $1.99...

uBy it from Baen, they'll let you download Kindle-compatible files.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Mars4523 posted:

I just finished reading Firefight by Brandon Sanderson. It's not bad, all things considered, but it feels like it would be vastly more interesting if the book had been from the perspective of it's titular character. At the very least she'd have a much less annoying sense of humor.

Also I'm convinced that David's aura of infectious confidence is supernatural in nature.

I've been pondering reading Steelheart and Firefight but I'm leery of RPG sourcebook syndrome. How is he on these books?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Has anyone read #2 in Brian McClellan's Powder Mage trilogy, The Crimson Campaign? I've read #1 and apparently #3 is coming out next month so I'm wondering if I should pick them up. I liked #1 a fair bit so if the books maintain the same level it's enough for me.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

boneration posted:

I've been pondering reading Steelheart and Firefight but I'm leery of RPG sourcebook syndrome. How is he on these books?
Mind elaborating? Not sure what you mean.

There's this one point where Sanderson uses the word "cooldown" to refer to a supervillain's teleportation ability. As you'd imagine it sounds awkward as gently caress. I also have a problem with the character voices, specifically the main character's voice. Maybe I'm just used to reading things from the perspective of adults but the main character (books are in first person) sounds a lot younger than he's supposed to be.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Cooldown, like in Diablo, as in he tried to teleport again but couldn't because teleport was still on cooldown?

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

andrew smash posted:

Cooldown, like in Diablo, as in he tried to teleport again but couldn't because teleport was still on cooldown?
Something like that.

It's just so blatantly a gaming term that hearing it being said like that takes you out of the story for a bit.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

There is an entire thread for Erikson and the Malazan books, just so you know.
Also, GotM is good, but has nothing on the second and third book in the series, Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Antti posted:

Has anyone read #2 in Brian McClellan's Powder Mage trilogy, The Crimson Campaign? I've read #1 and apparently #3 is coming out next month so I'm wondering if I should pick them up. I liked #1 a fair bit so if the books maintain the same level it's enough for me.

Yes -- I read it and liked Crimson Campaign as much as the first book. The ending is a little abrupt, but with the next book due out soon, I imagine that won't really be that annoying. Not that I found it tremendously annoying when I finished the book shortly after it came out -- it's just that Crimson Campaign clearly leads right into whatever will happen in the third book.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Sounds like waiting/being lazy might pay off in this case then!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fart of Presto posted:

The TV version of Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Mars is being written by Babylon 5 creator, J. Michael Straczynski
http://deadline.com/2015/01/j-michael-straczynski-red-mars-series-spike-1201354875/

B5 is still my all time favourite scifi show and I absolutely loved the Mars trilogy even though parts of it was a bit on the heavy side.

I predict that this won't translate well to TV.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
JMS' one standout achievement was B5.
Hhis comics have been a lot of failed promise where he sets things up well (or extremely well, in the case of Supreme Power and Rising Stars) then drops the ball.

His episode by episode writing was also poo poo in b5 and it was jsut the overall plot he wrote that worked.

Edit: my above comment may be a little unfair to Supreme Power, since that was hosed up by Marvel editorial oversight rather than JMS himself. Rising Stars also ended up alright, though not great.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 23, 2015

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

withak posted:

I predict that this won't translate well to TV.

I agree, but I don't think it's doomed by necessity. There's enough suspense and personal intrigue to put together good episodes, but the ordering of events/flashbacks/narratives might need jiggling.

And now I wanna re-read at least the first one. Damnit, I don't have time!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

At the very least, they'll probably rearrange things so that Boone doesn't get killed in the prologue.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

mdemone posted:

I agree, but I don't think it's doomed by necessity. There's enough suspense and personal intrigue to put together good episodes, but the ordering of events/flashbacks/narratives might need jiggling.

And now I wanna re-read at least the first one. Damnit, I don't have time!

Yeah it would be a good TV show with a significant amount of rearranging and pruning.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Clark Nova posted:

At the very least, they'll probably rearrange things so that Boone doesn't get killed in the prologue.

They should spend the first season periodically flashing back (ahead?) to the party, which would be a good way to slowly reveal the factions & characters, and then have Boone get offed in the season finale.

Edit: Arkady could be a really great character for television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

mllaneza posted:

uBy it from Baen, they'll let you download Kindle-compatible files.

And then you can email the file over to your Kindle.