Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hace posted:

Nexus 7 2013 5.0.2 report:

It's turned my unstable KitKat into a stable machine, very happy. I get an occasional redraw every few hours, but besides that I couldn't be happier.

e: That said I think my battery life might be a little shorter? It's hard to tell at this point.
This is my experience right here (even on 5.0 and 5.0.1). KitKat constantly rebooted itself, was dog slow, and never worked right. Lollipop has been flawless on my 2013 N7.

Lollipop's shittier battery life seems across the board for me on all my devices that updated to it: 2013 Moto G, N4, N5, N7. It's definitely far worse both at idle and in use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
As usual my battery life is fine even on 5.0.1 for my N7 2013 WiFi. Haven't taken the update to .2 yet though. Of course it worked fine even on KitKat and I could get 8-10 hours of screen on time with less battery intensive apps.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Keep in mind that automatic brightness on the Nexus 7 on kitkat was set pretty low. Now with lollipop I have set adaptive brightness to the center of the bar which is much easier to read but also much brighter than the stock automatic brightness on kitkat.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

bronin posted:

Keep in mind that automatic brightness on the Nexus 7 on kitkat was set pretty low. Now with lollipop I have set adaptive brightness to the center of the bar which is much easier to read but also much brighter than the stock automatic brightness on kitkat.

While that's true, it doesn't why it drains more at idle.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

LastInLine posted:

This is exactly right. Dual core is fine, this particular set of cores is just bad.

Of course if Nvidia has a hand in it, you know that's the case.

However note that the Quad Core K1 (32bit) seems to review very well and not suffer from the N9 issues. Something went wrong with the Dual Core K1 as it should never suffer from any issues being brought up in reviews it's theoretically more powerful than most laptop/desktop computers. I personally had hoped a firmware update would have fixed the N9 issues by now but I guess they are still prevalent.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Stick100 posted:

Something went wrong with the Dual Core K1 as it should never suffer from any issues being brought up in reviews it's theoretically more powerful than most laptop/desktop computers. I personally had hoped a firmware update would have fixed the N9 issues by now but I guess they are still prevalent.
There's no fixing this with software. The architecture is what it is. NVIDIA did everything they could to mask the performance issues by cranking the clock speed, but now there's not much juice left in the lemon to squeeze.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I went against my own advice to wait on updating my 2012 N7 to Lollipop and did it last night anyway. I was tired of seeing the update notification.

It actually seems... better now than it was with KK. A bit quicker and more smooth.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Stick100 posted:

Something went wrong with the Dual Core K1 as it should never suffer from any issues being brought up in reviews it's theoretically more powerful than most laptop/desktop computers.

Citation super loving needed, unless you left out a "from 9-15 years ago" in there.

Hell the 4 year old midrange quad physical core laptop I have should stomp any contemporary mobile device Arm CPU.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

Citation super loving needed, unless you left out a "from 9-15 years ago" in there.

Hell the 4 year old midrange quad physical core laptop I have should stomp any contemporary mobile device Arm CPU.
There are some synthetic benchmarks that show Denver in a favorable light, but that doesn't make it a good architecture. Their binary translation is cute, but I don't think it's destined for a long shelf life. From an IPC standpoint, Denver's almost embarrassing when you consider NVIDIA needed 2.5GHz to match the single-core performance of a 1.5GHz "Enhanced Cyclone" ARM core.

Really it just sounds like he bought into NVIDIA's hype train that they've been driving since they announced the turd at CES 2011.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 22, 2015

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Can't believe google let themselves get burned again by Nvidia. The 2012 Nexus 7 quickly became a complete dog thanks to the underpowered QUAD-CORE!! Tegra chip that it used. Sad to see the N9 having a similar fate.

I'm not usually one to say things like this (I do own a Galaxy s4 and *gasp* actually like it!) but it would take a few years of Nvidia showing a turnaround with their chipsets before I would consider buying a device that used one. Burned twice, survivor of the Tegra 2 in my Droid X2 and Tegra 3 in my 2012 Nexus 7 :(

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Can't believe google let themselves get burned again by Nvidia. The 2012 Nexus 7 quickly became a complete dog thanks to the underpowered QUAD-CORE!! Tegra chip that it used. Sad to see the N9 having a similar fate.

I'm not usually one to say things like this (I do own a Galaxy s4 and *gasp* actually like it!) but it would take a few years of Nvidia showing a turnaround with their chipsets before I would consider buying a device that used one. Burned twice, survivor of the Tegra 2 in my Droid X2 and Tegra 3 in my 2012 Nexus 7 :(

I just want clarification here. This directed at anybody, by the way, but did Nvidia just keep the good tech to showcase in their Shield Tablet? I am woefully ignorant of the whole issue. I only ask because I'm interested in upgrading from my N7 2013 and was looking at the Shield but I see that some users are experiencing problems with that too. Namely dead after a few months or cracks in the casing.

Edited in a little info.

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 22, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One oddity I've noticed is that if you shut the thing down and clear the cache partition, it jumps DRAMATICALLY in performance for a few days before it starts bogging down again. This is most noticeable in Chrome and app switching.

So, I'm not entirely sold on the SoC being a lost cause. There's obviously something else going on here if clearing a cache partition can affect performance so dramatically.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Wamdoodle posted:

I just want clarification here. This directed at anybody, by the way, but did Nvidia just keep the good tech to showcase in their Shield Tablet? I am woefully ignorant of the whole issue.

bull3964 posted:

One oddity I've noticed is that if you shut the thing down and clear the cache partition, it jumps DRAMATICALLY in performance for a few days before it starts bogging down again. This is most noticeable in Chrome and app switching.

So, I'm not entirely sold on the SoC being a lost cause. There's obviously something else going on here if clearing a cache partition can affect performance so dramatically.

Yes what exactly are we slamming the Nexus 9 / nVidia for again? Are we certain whatever performance issues are being discussed won't be fixed in a software patch?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Rastor posted:

Yes what exactly are we slamming the Nexus 9 / nVidia for again? Are we certain whatever performance issues are being discussed won't be fixed in a software patch?
Absolutely.
The K1 Denver has to "optimize" precompiled code, defeating the point of ART.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Wamdoodle posted:

I just want clarification here. This directed at anybody, by the way, but did Nvidia just keep the good tech to showcase in their Shield Tablet?
Speculation: Though I'm sure it wasn't planned to be the "good tech" in the Shield Tablet, they went with the safer ARM core choice for that product. It was likely too risky to tie both their future SoC business and Shield marketing dollars to a radical architecture, especially when the GPU is arguably the more important component for the Shield Tablet anyway. Pairing Kepler with an off-the-shelf ARM core for the Shield Tablet just made more sense, and in itself was still a bit of a risk. Save Denver for third-party ODM bids and see how it goes -- so far it doesn't look like anything else besides the Nexus 9 is going to use it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It's also interesting to note that NVIDIA's latest roadmap does not show Parker (Denver CPU + Maxwell GPU) for 2015 anymore, only a thrown-together part Erista (licensed Cortex A57/A53 CPUs + Maxwell GPU) that is more akin to the SoC that went into the Shield Tablet. Erista looks to be a beast and will likely power NVIDIA's 64-bit "Shield Tablet 2" or whatever they decide to call it this year.

:rip: Denver

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 22, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I will say now though I think my dream Android tablet would be the current N7 updated with a Snapdragon 810, 3gb of ram, 64gb of storage, and a 2560x1600 screen .

If something like that came out, I would sell off the N9 so fast it wouldn't even have time to open up chrome.

The 4:3 ratio is mildly intriguing, but even Google's own poo poo doesn't take advantage of it so what's the point? I submitted feedback months ago to add immersive mode to newsstand since the majority of their magazines would have a 100% fill rate on a 4:3 screen making them much more readable than they are now. But they can't even get around to doing that so they have a nice black border all the way around, wasting screen space.

Similarly, due to the aspect ratio, media has wasted space in larger black borders. Scope movies are silly wasteful on the N9.

Ultimately though, I'm finding 9 inches at 4:3 just too bulky and heavy for my normal use case (couch surfing.) My N7 used to just disappear next to me while I was watching TV, just showing up when needed. The N9 has nearly as much presence as keeping a small notebook around and isn't nearly as useful. So, I think would rather keep a small notebook or chromebook around instead.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

bull3964 posted:

I will say now though I think my dream Android tablet would be the current N7 updated with a Snapdragon 810, 3gb of ram, 64gb of storage, and a 2560x1600 screen .
That's about what I'm hoping for, too. Maybe add front-facing speakers and a type-C plug for the couple times a year I plug it in. Here's hoping for this summer, but a 7" tablet doesn't seem likely when they sell a 6" phone. Fortunately the 2013 7 still works great.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

bull3964 posted:

If something like that came out, I would sell off the N9 so fast it wouldn't even have time to open up chrome.

The 4:3 ratio is mildly intriguing, but even Google's own poo poo doesn't take advantage of it so what's the point? I submitted feedback months ago to add immersive mode to newsstand since the majority of their magazines would have a 100% fill rate on a 4:3 screen making them much more readable than they are now. But they can't even get around to doing that so they have a nice black border all the way around, wasting screen space.

Similarly, due to the aspect ratio, media has wasted space in larger black borders. Scope movies are silly wasteful on the N9.

Ultimately though, I'm finding 9 inches at 4:3 just too bulky and heavy for my normal use case (couch surfing.) My N7 used to just disappear next to me while I was watching TV, just showing up when needed. The N9 has nearly as much presence as keeping a small notebook around and isn't nearly as useful. So, I think would rather keep a small notebook or chromebook around instead.

I bought my Nexus 7 2013 last June but I'd definately get one with these specs. Being said, just updated mine to 5.0.2 and so far I had good luck with all Lollipop versions, no issues at all.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
My 2013 N7 LTE has some epic battery drain since I got it a year ago. Used to be able to casually use it for a couple days before charging it overnight. Now it's only good for about a day of light use, while essentially dying in standby.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

bull3964 posted:

So basically you want the next version of the Tab S?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Three Olives posted:

So basically you want the next version of the Tab S?

If it was a Nexus, sure.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
My Shield tablet was killing me, making me regret passing my 13 nexus 7 to the wife. Finally stopped all use of chrome, installed dolphin, and have a tablet that doesn't freeze, stutter, or close itself. drat, chrome sucks these days.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
I jumped on the ebay/Newegg deal the other day and got a Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 for $429 shipped. I was originally going to get a Nexus 9, but decided against it for two reasons. 1) Unfavorable reviews 2) Lack of multi window.

I love being able to have multiple things open on the same screen, and the screen is rather large which makes it even more awesome for that specific task.

My only complaint is that there's not a notification light. :saddowns:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

torgeaux posted:

My Shield tablet was killing me, making me regret passing my 13 nexus 7 to the wife. Finally stopped all use of chrome, installed dolphin, and have a tablet that doesn't freeze, stutter, or close itself. drat, chrome sucks these days.

I mainly use Opera (its off-road mode ia amazing with low signal). If some site doesn't work well, I just launch firefox and get things done. Chrome sucks in my opinion.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Is there any reason Samsung is sticking with the hardware buttons, especially on tablets? I'd say that's the biggest thing preventing me from buying a tab s, having fixed hardware navigation buttons seems silly to me compared with the trend of integrating them into the display so they can moved based on orientation.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

torgeaux posted:

Chrome has been terrible for me lately too. I used it for months of end without problem then suddenly every time I try to use chrome it locks up my device. I get the same behavior with the beta app as well.

I've switched to javelin and haven't had any problems since.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

flipoff posted:

Is there any reason Samsung is sticking with the hardware buttons, especially on tablets? I'd say that's the biggest thing preventing me from buying a tab s, having fixed hardware navigation buttons seems silly to me compared with the trend of integrating them into the display so they can moved based on orientation.

People like having them, apparently. Well I mean, I like having them on my phone, I like them not taking up actual display space and having a physical home button to turn the device on with. Not sure if I'd actually like them on a tablet device, though surely there's ways to get on screen buttons back if you want them.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
They're not taking up display space on most phones, since they're in the physical location where they would be if they were physical buttons. Software buttons are also nice due to immersive mode letting you reclaim that used space when needed.

That said I do miss them mildly since I had a hardware home button for so many years, it was nice to wake the phone with it easily when it's set down. Just one finger to take a look at the time or whatever. This wouldn't be a thing at all if the Nexus 6 had double tap-to-wake by default =-( And it's obviously more of a niggle than a real concern.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DemonMage posted:

They're not taking up display space on most phones, since they're in the physical location where they would be if they were physical buttons. Software buttons are also nice due to immersive mode letting you reclaim that used space when needed.

Yes they are, they take up screen resolution. It's nice to have :airquote:immersive mode:airquote: all the time.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yes they are, they take up screen resolution. It's nice to have :airquote:immersive mode:airquote: all the time.

You couldn't/shouldn't put buttons on the Nexus 6's bottom bezel.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
The Moto X has soft keys, but no need for a physical home button when Active Display gives me an unlock every time I pick the phone up.

That said, I thought the battery life on this was well reviewed? It can't quite last a full day at work.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

The Moto X has soft keys, but no need for a physical home button when Active Display gives me an unlock every time I pick the phone up.

That said, I thought the battery life on this was well reviewed? It can't quite last a full day at work.

Nope, battery just ok at best.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

flipoff posted:

Is there any reason Samsung is sticking with the hardware buttons, especially on tablets?
Because Apple has a physical button on iOS devices. Samsungs will stop with the hardware button one generation after Apple does away with it.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

The Moto X (2014) does not have award-winning battery life, but it definitely should last a full day at work. What do your battery stats show for your signal quality and screen on time?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Comrade Flynn posted:

Oops, I posted in the recommend me a tablet thread, but I kind of know what I want -

I'm in the mobile games business and need an Android tablet for when I meet with Google. How's the nVidia Shield? It will mainly just be used for reading, presentations, and testing games on. Does the PC streaming poo poo work even with a GTX 650? How's the cloud stuff?

You can stream to any Android device by using Limelight if your video card on your PC supports it. Makes for the perfect way to play Civilization.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yay! Something drained over 55% of my Memo 7's battery in eight hours of sleep mode, leaving it flat. gently caress knows what did it, I didn't have any programmes active when I closed it, wifi is meant to be turned off when in sleep mode. GPS is off.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Disabled scanning always available? WiFi won't turn off during sleep without that off. Look at your battery usage stats, there's better battery stats(?) for checking for wakelocks.

Prepare to be mocked for not buying a nexus/shield/ipad and told to RMA it though.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Cheers. I'm fairly sure scanning is off. Will double check once it has enough juice in it to actually boot. I have a battery monitor app on but it only detects wakelocks, won't tell me what they are. I'll maybe try Wakelock Detector or similar later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
What's the current Android tablet of choice? I was looking to get a Nexus 9 but the reviews don't seem good for it, I assume it's still significantly better than the 7 though right?