Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Sei is the end boss anyway. Though I presume he and the Meijin are pretty evenly matched these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Khisanth Magus posted:

Also keep in mind that the tournaments they are participating in are only for kids 19 or younger, which means that it would be impossible for them to go against team meijin, unless there is one world tournament for all ages and has the winners of the 19 or younger and the 20+ tournaments representing each region.

Or Team Meijin could just challenge/be challenged by the Try Fighters. Like it's just a game man, they can fight whoever they want.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Or Team Meijin could just challenge/be challenged by the Try Fighters. Like it's just a game man, they can fight whoever they want.

Of course, they would have to recruit a third. Suddenly, out of nowhere, a hobo that has seemed relatively unassuming up to this point, merely making background appearances, throws off his coat to reveal...Iori Sei, back from making his dream of having a superpowered gunpla in every Gundam Tournament trophy.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Obviously Sei is pretending to be Ral. Why else would Ral have changed voices? :tinfoil:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I mean, they could play 3 on 2 as a handicap.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Could Sei be a Mejin? It's odd that in a series about threes we get a second but not a third.

Also, with the odd number of teams there's an extra bracket for two teams, wonder how that becomes relevant.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
This season is just setting up for Gundam Build Fighters Try Tri. Where Team Try Fighters having won the nationals moves on to the World Gunpla Championship.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Sei is obviously number 3 on team Meijin.

Also they said this anime was just the Nationals way before the show even started. Its been planned like that from the beginning.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

BizarroAzrael posted:

Could Sei be a Mejin? It's odd that in a series about threes we get a second but not a third.

Also, with the odd number of teams there's an extra bracket for two teams, wonder how that becomes relevant.

Meijin Builder.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Just give him another go title and put him in the team. Kisei Sei.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Meijin is the current champion, right? The BF dvd short that bridged the two series said that Sei was going about his duties as the current champion, so wouldn't he have to be the 3rd member?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpikeMcclane posted:

Meijin is the current champion, right? The BF dvd short that bridged the two series said that Sei was going about his duties as the current champion, so wouldn't he have to be the 3rd member?

I don't think it's 100% clear who the current world champion is but the Meijin has won multiple times. The current Under-19 is the Gunpla Academy.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Meijin III likely no longer competes outside of exhibition matches, such as the world champion calling the God of Gunpla out in front of an international audience.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I get really confused sometimes when they talk about "THE CHAMPION" and they're referencing the world champ, or just their age bracket champ? Because none of these guys are coming close to actual world champ status.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Tae posted:

I get really confused sometimes when they talk about "THE CHAMPION" and they're referencing the world champ, or just their age bracket champ? Because none of these guys are coming close to actual world champ status.

Right now it's age bracket / national. They're not Sei / Meijin / Reiji / Fellini's level.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

nuru posted:

Right now it's age bracket / national. They're not Sei / Meijin / Reiji / Fellini's level.

We can safely presume that Sei and Fellini are on par with the utter nonsense that is the Meijin's performance with the Amazing Red Warrior. And let us remember that the ARW is really, REALLY minimalist. An advanced version of his Zaku Amazing, really. If the Meijin were playing for real we would see something completely absurd like an upgraded version of the Exia or 00 or something patently unfair.

The big thing that holds him back, of course, is that he wants a good fight first to the exclusion of all else.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tae posted:

They're talking about John Cena, who switched to Gunplas when it became popular.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gearhead posted:

The big thing that holds him back, of course, is that he wants a good fight first to the exclusion of all else.

This is why I'm almost positive there's going to be some kind of exhibition match between Team Try and Team Meijin in the final episode. Fumina admires and wants to match/surpass Lady, Yuuma admires Sei while both are builders first, fighters second and both Sekai and Yuuki are out solely for a good fight. It's way too clean and complete a mirror image to not foreshadow a match - especially when you consider that Yuuki gets so excited every time he watches Sekai thanks to his assimilation and that I'm pretty sure Fumina flat out told Lady she would become a better fight than her.

The only confusing thing is how the return of Reiji figures in to all of this, or if he's being left of to Build Fighters season 3 - where Fumina, Yuuma, Sekai, Sei, Yuuki, Lady and probably a few secondary characters like Fellini, Lucas etc. are all individual contestants and Reiji reappears mid way through as a surprise.

Besides, if Try prove good enough to win the nationals (and they will), that pretty much puts them on an international level anyways, since the winners of the nationals presumably qualify automatically for some kind of world tournament. So them fighting Team Meijin and giving them a run for their money shouldn't be a shock to anyone, in or out of universe. Personally, I'd love to see them do so and then, in a shocking twist in the finale, for Team Try to lose - but frame it as a set up for them to return in a third season with the explicit goal of surpassing Team Meijin because of that loss, same as how Seiji's loss to Yuuki in the start of the first season drove them to eventually beat him.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 23, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MonsieurChoc posted:

They're talking about John Cena, who switched to Gunplas when it became popular.

Now I want to see a wrasslin' AGE-1 Titus custom wrecking poo poo :allears:.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Now I want to see a wrasslin' AGE-1 Titus custom wrecking poo poo :allears:.

But then Bork Lester Brock Lesnar comes in with a tweaked up GOUF Crusher (which would just be a super tricked out Ignited) or something and kicks his rear end, only for his Gunpla to be perfectly fine next battle.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 23, 2015

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

It feels a lot like they're playing to the idea of their being a possible third season beyond this with the old cast waiting in the wings. Perhaps they wanted to make the story of a team coming from nothing to the big leagues be a bit more original and a bit less rushed than before. Reiji and Sei taking the world on by storm was completely bonkers and telling the same story a second time with a new cast would've probably been a horrible idea.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gearhead posted:

It feels a lot like they're playing to the idea of their being a possible third season beyond this with the old cast waiting in the wings. Perhaps they wanted to make the story of a team coming from nothing to the big leagues be a bit more original and a bit less rushed than before. Reiji and Sei taking the world on by storm was completely bonkers and telling the same story a second time with a new cast would've probably been a horrible idea.

You're forgetting the usual Gundam rule-of-thumb; Two seasons, then a movie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, i really don't think we'll get another BF season. I could see a movie or OAV but otherwise BF's sitting at about the usual Gundam series length and after BF and G-Reco I'm pretty sure they're gonna want to try another shot at getting that sweet sweet SEED-style megahit.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, i really don't think we'll get another BF season. I could see a movie or OAV but otherwise BF's sitting at about the usual Gundam series length and after BF and G-Reco I'm pretty sure they're gonna want to try another shot at getting that sweet sweet SEED-style megahit.

I would argue BF has BEEN a megahit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gearhead posted:

It really hasn't. It has good toy sales and relatively good DVD success but SEED was a success on a completely different level. It unfortunately also means it is going to be the white whale Sunrise chases for a while.

BF did well but it mostly did well at selling toys and appealing to gunota. Which isn't terrible, especially with that sweet sweet plamo money, but it isn't the sort of thing that will be a pretty big influence the way SEED was.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure BF is sitting as part of Sunrise/Bandai's permanent portfolio for a looooong time just like how novelization OVAs are after Unicorn. Its almost effortless money since they can get away with recycling older molds and it actually did what AGE was suppose to do, target younger demographics. But they do need more main line series with new molds to actually base things out off, they are milking the poo poo out of 00 tech.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I'm pretty sure BF is sitting as part of Sunrise/Bandai's permanent portfolio for a looooong time just like how novelization OVAs are after Unicorn. Its almost effortless money since they can get away with recycling older molds and it actually did what AGE was suppose to do, target younger demographics. But they do need more main line series with new molds to actually base things out off, they are milking the poo poo out of 00 tech.

Well, Plamo stuff will be, but Plamo stuff has been part of Sunrise/Bandai's portfolio for a long time. From Kyoshiro onwards they've brought it back every couple of years in some form or another.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

it actually did what AGE was suppose to do, target younger demographics.

Every bit of BF television ratings I've seen said it underperformed with younger demographics actually. Part of the reason it even exists was that Bandai/Sunrise was chasing that Danball money because Danball did perform really well with younger demographics. I think Level 5 moved on from Danball to Yokai Watch's money printing press though.

I like BF but I feel like people are kind of overstating how big it was. It was a reasonably good success and a solid mover of Gunpla, but I don't think we're going to see ten billion sequels and yearly installments of it or anything. We'll continue to see stuff like it but that wouldn't be anything new either.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 23, 2015

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Gearhead posted:

Season 1 saw anywhere from ~400k to ~1million viewers for any given episode in the main 2 languages. Season 2 has peaked around ~400k for any given episode. Not sure how well this compares to what they would normally see for viewership on tv, or what g-reco is getting.

On the other hand, I think that BF is probably the best show at getting people to buy models because they emphasize the actual hobby so much, so that would probably factor into the success as well I suppose.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I thought SEED had a problem where the new demographics they bought in really loved the characters but weren't big on buying the actual Gunpla.

Or was that just another net rumour?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

I thought SEED had a problem where the new demographics they bought in really loved the characters but weren't big on buying the actual Gunpla.

Or was that just another net rumour?

It's sort of true and sort of false.

They were not buying Gunpla in the way that traditional Gunota were. What they were doing was buying character merchandise. This was actually one of the really big successes of SEED and part of why Gundam 00 had such a heavy push towards a character-merch focused idea. (All the 00 boys had a whole boatload of character merchandising from the very start and were designed to be as marketable as possible. Supposedly part of the reason Allelujah was sidelined was because his merch sold the worst.)

The SEED gunpla still sold very well but part of why SEED was considered a success was because it opened up other marketing groups. Wing had some success with character merchandising as well but Turn-A/Gundam X/G Gundam all kinda fizzled on that front. As far as I know BF never really did well either but BF didn't have much character merchandising in the first place. It was super robot focused.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 23, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Every bit of BF television ratings I've seen said it underperformed with younger demographics actually. Part of the reason it even exists was that Bandai/Sunrise was chasing that Danball money because Danball did perform really well with younger demographics. I think Level 5 moved on from Danball to Yokai Watch's money printing press though.

I like BF but I feel like people are kind of overstating how big it was. It was a reasonably good success and a solid mover of Gunpla, but I don't think we're going to see ten billion sequels and yearly installments of it or anything. We'll continue to see stuff like it but that wouldn't be anything new either.

When all your other properties are squarely 0% in the children demographic, you'll take the 5%-6% than BF/BFT is getting you. :v:

Khisanth Magus posted:

Season 1 saw anywhere from ~400k to ~1million viewers for any given episode in the main 2 languages. Season 2 has peaked around ~400k for any given episode. Not sure how well this compares to what they would normally see for viewership on tv, or what g-reco is getting.

On the other hand, I think that BF is probably the best show at getting people to buy models because they emphasize the actual hobby so much, so that would probably factor into the success as well I suppose.
Season one did have bad ratings overall, like worse than AGE if I remember right. Still BF sold 4 times its disks and pushed way more plastic using old recycled molds. It was near effortless profit.

We're already getting two gundams in one season for the first time. So them trying to get another SEED while keeping the guaranteed money of BF makes more sense than making another Valvrave/BuddyComplex/Cross Ange

vvv
They will after they are done with Origin/Hathaways Flash :colbert:

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 23, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

There won't be a BF3 because they're going to make Frozen Teardrop and I will never stop believing that no matter how much anyone or objective reality disagrees.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Gearhead posted:

I'm hoping for a vocal theme.

I'm just hoping that the ZZZ transformation function is activated by all three pilots dramatically smashing a holographic button under a holographic glass plate.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

mr. stefan posted:

I'm just hoping that the ZZZ transformation function is activated by all three pilots dramatically smashing a holographic button under a holographic glass plate.

Of course we all know it will involve the other parts exploding outwards and assembling into the main body with the bird flying under to combine at the head/shoulders.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Gearhead posted:

Of course we all know it will involve the other parts exploding outwards and assembling into the main body with the bird flying under to combine at the head/shoulders.

I hope the transformation sequence is overly long, and shows the other team sitting there looking bored while they wait.

Kinda like this but with Gunpla instead of not-Sailor Moon.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

There should be a discussion about shooting it in the middle of transforming only for it to get vetoed as unsportsmanlike behaviour

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
In other stuff, I sat down and started looking at screenshots, trying to identify parts of the 'Nega Burning' Gundam from the opening. Here's what I've been able to identify or guess at so far.

Torso: Freedom Gundam
Head: A combination of Gundam AGE-1 and Gundam Legilis.
Arms: Uncertain, but there is visible, exposed cabling.
Waist Skirts: Vagan parts
Legs: Something from Dragonar, possibly. The exposed side ankles are a very un-Gundam design.

The suit uses transparent plastic, the same way Sei does, but it's more primitive and seems to just go for 'slapping big chunks on and bolting everything down.' This may work with the theory that's been floated that this is the Unfinished Gunpla sitting on Meijin II's desk in the Amazing comic. The legs are better built, or rather, more refined, than the upper body. The upper body seems to be built around pumping particles from the shoulder pods into the fists while the legs sport a design much more like something Sei would make.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 23, 2015

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Interesting thought-- in all likelihood, a 6-year-old Gyanko was probably the person who beat China Kousaka in the finals of the girl's tournament that happened in season 1.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So with the Build Burning Try popping it's restraints to go Burning Burst, doesn't that mean each fight should end with Sekai having to climb up on that big-rear end arena afterwards to go pick up all the restraint pieces for it? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So with the Build Burning Try popping it's restraints to go Burning Burst, doesn't that mean each fight should end with Sekai having to climb up on that big-rear end arena afterwards to go pick up all the restraint pieces for it? :v:

"Yuuma... buddy... pal..."

"You make your own replacement armour parts, Sekai."

• Locked thread