Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yet another advantage to growing up in the 80's, all you needed to dismantle everything your parents owned was a phillips screwdriver.

Shame about the music though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Yet another advantage to growing up in the 80's, all you needed to dismantle everything your parents owned was a phillips screwdriver.

Almost all the philips head and allen bolts and screws WILL be soft as swiss cheese, however.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

xzzy posted:

Yeah it's a shame it isn't all Lady Gaga and dubstep like today's crap.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

xzzy posted:

My first car was the original Ford Taurus complete with cassette deck. Used to make foreigner mix tapes and blast it while driving around thinking I was hot poo poo. Turns out I was just poo poo.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PCOS Bill posted:

Yeah it's a shame it isn't all Lady Gaga and dubstep like today's crap.

What year do you think it is?

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Cakefool posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a 7 or 9mm bolt

I think my Buick had something like that on the struts under the hood (which you had to move when you took the battery out :siren:GM:siren:). The strut had two bolts that mounted it to the bumper, they were different sizes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
:stare:

http://imgur.com/qGB9gOv

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/bolts/metric-bolt-head-size.aspx is relevant here.

It doesn't cover reduced-head metric fasteners of the style Ford uses, though.

Metric is fuckin' great poo poo eh? 5 different head sizes for one bolt shank diameter. Good thing we have standards, they're great because there are so many to choose from.

This has always pissed me off.
Japanese car? 8, 10, 12, 14, 17mm + a few larger sizes is all you need. But GM, Ford a Chrysler? That wasn't good enough, let's use 13 and 15mm too, because, REASONS. And the goddamned metric bolts that you can get at most US suppliers follow the ANSI/ISO standard, so if I need to replace a M8 on my RX-7, all of a sudden no I have a loving 13mm in there with the 12mm bolts. I'm not very OCD, but that poo poo sets it off right there. Just couldn't go with what was already the standard, could you?

Oh, and I know from my mobile electronics installer days that GM loved 7mm for dash screws. Mainly because the pre-metric cars used 9/32" screws, and 7mm = 9/32, or close enough, so they just didn't change. Thank god the newer ones also used a T10 inside the hex. Lots easier to deal with.

InitialDave posted:

It's only fun when you're dealing with random selections of metric and imperial (of all flavours, naturally) on one vehicle.

Oh, I LOVED my '81 Buick Regal. The body was all (GM, oddball, see above) metric, but the engine, being a V6 designed in the 50's, was all SAE. Except for certain external bits that weren't, here and there. The rest of the drivetrain was SAE as well.

Motronic posted:

I still love all that imperial threadding with metric heads on Rover V8s. Brilliant idea your midland drunkards.

Oh, holy poo poo. I guess that because it, too was designed by GM in the '50s. In fact, my 3.8L V6 was 3/4 of the original Buick 215ci aluminum V8, which became the Rover V8, in cast iron.
But you guys probably already know that.

Relative to fastener chat:
http://xkcd.com/1474/

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
IOC has completely lost control of this thread.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
:argh:

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Someone's half-assed attempt to break into my car... lock still works though, thank you German over engineering

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ugh, they chipped the door doing it, didn't they?

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

InitialDave posted:

You try to hold your hand steady high on meth/whatever drug they were on.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

InitialDave posted:

Yep... in a pain in the rear end spot too. More pissed at that than the lock

neckbeard fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 22, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

IOC has completely lost control of this thread.

Here, let's try it in very simple terms.

NOT TERRIBLE CAR STUFF

NOT TERRIBLE CAR STUFF

TERRIBLE CAR STUFF

TERRIBLE CAR STUFF

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
YEAH SURE BUT TALKING SMACK ABOUT THE MUSIC OF MY PEOPLE IS JUST FINE AND DANDY I SEE HOW IT FUCKIN' IS.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
CONTENT: The axle nut that wouldn't budge

NOT CONTENT

kastein posted:

Hey you're not giving external pentalobe security torxplus enough credit here.
Hmm. Would it be possible to create such a beast that you have to engage the external pentalobe, the inner torxplus AND the center hex security pin or else you can't unscrew it? (If so, I need to make this and then get companies to use it)
EDIT: OH! *AND* make it so you can't replace the inner parts of the tool so if you have a 3/4" external pentalobe with a T8 torxplus and 2mm hex, you need a new tool for 3/4" external pentalobe with a T7 torxplus and 2mm hex /EDIT
EDIT2: Like a more complicated patterned lug nut, with a few added steps for complexity.

The top will also be made so if you go over the torque spec by more than 2%, the head sheers off, and with a few off-center harder metal rods going through the bolt, drilling it out will be difficult. This will increase per-unit cost to the manufacturers, but they will see more replacement part revenue since attempts to drill out the screw with the broken off head will screw up the part. At dealership service will increase because no one wants to have to replace a part because they broke off the bolt. (Dealers will be required to purchase the special tools AND the approved broken-bolt extractor (which will clamp onto the engine and use a special drill bit for the extraction).
All broken off heads will not be covered under warranty and no matter the reason (even the dealer mechanics breaking off the head), and it will all be pointed at the customer doing unauthorized access/service to the car and will void all the warranties.
Is this evil enough yet?

Also, I'm terrible and I like torx and think torxplus is a good idea.

Fire Storm fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 23, 2015

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

If I wanted one of those 1" drive 6000ft/lb monsters, what should I be googling for, and what sacrifices will I need to make? Just a goat, or are we moving to actual human sacrifice territory?

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Memento posted:

If I wanted one of those 1" drive 6000ft/lb monsters, what should I be googling for, and what sacrifices will I need to make? Just a goat, or are we moving to actual human sacrifice territory?

I searched for 1" torque multiplier in Google image search and found this link pretty quickly. And yes, it's on Amazon under a from a few different suppliers.

Yeah, I may get one too.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

neckbeard posted:

Someone's half-assed attempt to break into my car... lock still works though, thank you German over engineering
That reminds me of how my old 98 lumina got broken into. They popped through the door right under the lock, then just move the screwdriver around, snagged the lock bar and moved it. I was so suprised when I saw how easy it was. They got through it like paper almost. The perp was probably in and out in around a minute. I was also surprised by the construction of the door, it was just mostly fiberglass or something. Guy probably too a screwdriver, hit it with a hammer and was in. Thats when I noticed later models (like the 2001 Taurus) had the door lock raised out, like in your picture, to probably help protect from that. What a security vulnerability though. You'd think they would put some re-enforcement there like a pice of thick metal.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Ford superduties are hilariously easy to break into as well.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

Ford superduties are hilariously easy to break into as well.

Yea thats it, the same M.O. Right below the lock

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KoRMaK posted:

Yea thats it, the same M.O. Right below the lock

That's just asking to be broken into, the owner is obviously swimming in cash!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Cakefool posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a 7 or 9mm bolt

Most of my interior is held together by 7.5mm bolts. And lots of plastic.

It's a "domestic" (USDM GM).

I'm not sure if there's a matching imperial size for 7.5mm, all I know is I have a 7.5mm socket + 1/4" drive screwdriver handle that works fantastic for removing the radio, HVAC, cluster, most of the interior, etc. It's the only 1/4" tool I keep around. There's a good chunk of SAE stuff too, and gently caress Torx screws forever.

FogHelmut posted:

And torx. I have a whole set of torx for a car I don't have anymore.

If you need to sell those....

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Ain't got poo poo on trying to remove a 50 year old axle nut. I had to actually create tools to remove the axle nuts on the bug when I was taking it apart. Took a 4 foot piece of angle iron and welded a 1/4" plate to it then drilled 2 holes for lug bolts. Bolt that poo poo to the drum. Then had to use a 3 foot prybar with a 6 foot piece of pipe on it to get that poo poo to come loose.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

That's just asking to be broken into, the owner is obviously swimming in cash!

He probably financed that :ssh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

Ain't got poo poo on trying to remove a 50 year old axle nut. I had to actually create tools to remove the axle nuts on the bug when I was taking it apart. Took a 4 foot piece of angle iron and welded a 1/4" plate to it then drilled 2 holes for lug bolts. Bolt that poo poo to the drum. Then had to use a 3 foot prybar with a 6 foot piece of pipe on it to get that poo poo to come loose.

The angle iron+plate is a common sight in any ACVW owner's garage. :v:

Dweebs at repair shops loooooved to over-torque them. And then they sit like that for 20+ years before an enthusiast scoops it up and tries to make the thing roadworthy again.

My breaker bar has a lovely curve in it because of a bug's axle nut.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

xzzy posted:

The angle iron+plate is a common sight in any ACVW owner's garage. :v:

Dweebs at repair shops loooooved to over-torque them. And then they sit like that for 20+ years before an enthusiast scoops it up and tries to make the thing roadworthy again.

My breaker bar has a lovely curve in it because of a bug's axle nut.

Ya, all I was doing was turning the wheel. It kept pulling the chock under the car. That reminds me, it does have a non-split trans in it, so it was replaced at some point meaning that a wrench monkey probably over tightened it.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Geoj posted:

This is true of just about any engineer. There needs to be a "just because you can design something this way doesn't mean that you should" class that is a requirement for engineering degrees.

A large percentage of engineers do not work on their own cars or do anything with their hands.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

Most of my interior is held together by 7.5mm bolts. And lots of plastic.

It's a "domestic" (USDM GM).

I'm not sure if there's a matching imperial size for 7.5mm, all I know is I have a 7.5mm socket + 1/4" drive screwdriver handle that works fantastic for removing the radio, HVAC, cluster, most of the interior, etc. It's the only 1/4" tool I keep around. There's a good chunk of SAE stuff too, and gently caress Torx screws forever.

If you need to sell those....

BMW seem to have a fondness for 6.5mm nuts on their hose clamps, on the older cars.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Giblet Plus! posted:

A large percentage of engineers do not work on their own cars or do anything with their hands.

Doesn't mean you can't teach them "putting a frequent maintenance item behind something that would otherwise never be touched and is difficult to remove is a bad idea" or "no, really, this 2x3' panel does not need to be secured to the back of that machine with 25 machine screws."

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Giblet Plus! posted:

Engineer here.

I do my own brake jobs when I manage to keep a car long enough that it needs a brake job. Otherwise, I don't do anything myself.

I haven't done a set of brakes in 8 years.

I'm also terrible at anything with my hands, and anything I do will be done poorly and shoddily.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

eyebeem posted:

I'm also terrible at anything with my hands, and anything I do will be done poorly and shoddily.

Same but not an engineer.

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

PCOS Bill posted:

Same but not an engineer.

I'm an engineer and I do all my own work on everything I own, including engine rebuilds and engine swaps. I am definitely in the minority though, none of my fellow engineers do any of their own maintenance on anything they own, and think i'm crazy for doing so.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

crazzy posted:

I'm an engineer and I do all my own work on everything I own, including engine rebuilds and engine swaps. I am definitely in the minority though, none of my fellow engineers do any of their own maintenance on anything they own, and think i'm crazy for doing so.

I do all my own work too. ... You'd think eventually I'd git gud.

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

PCOS Bill posted:

I do all my own work too. ... You'd think eventually I'd git gud.

Hah! I hear ya, i have friends like that. I'm just the crazy meticulous guy that takes something apart and tries to improve on whatever i'm trying to fix.......which means simple things take me much longer than they should! But i always get it working......eventually...........

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

neckbeard posted:

Some fuckwit actually pretty much pried the lock out of the passenger door on my '79 RX-7, tearing the sheet metal (lock cylinder is separate from the door handle on this model), but still couldn't actually get in the car. They might have finally noticed the alarm LED at that point, but my money is on them being that loving inept. Somehow I don't hav e asingle picture of the damage done. Before I owned a smartphone (though I still own the car, and it still has the damage...)

Giblet Plus! posted:

This has been said by my dad, a mechanical engineer (who does work on his own cars, house, tractors, and shop equipment. I get most of my attitude and skill from him, apparently.)

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

This was the result of someone trying to break into my door. The tumbler was actually inside the door, supposedly it is a common technique to hit the lock with a hammer and chisel in order to get at the lock inside.

They hosed up so badly it sealed the driver's door so I had to get in via the passenger door for a month until I could get it fixed.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

freelop posted:

This was the result of someone trying to break into my door. The tumbler was actually inside the door, supposedly it is a common technique to hit the lock with a hammer and chisel in order to get at the lock inside.

They hosed up so badly it sealed the driver's door so I had to get in via the passenger door for a month until I could get it fixed.

What? That's clearly the passenger door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

What? That's clearly the passenger door.

Just gonna savor this post