Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I think you're severely overestimating the usage of Bidets in north america if you're singling out Colerado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The film originally had a very strong orange color-grading, to add to the oppressive atmosphere of heat. The Blu-Ray release stripped this out. Chalk it up to inexperienced media houses that don't respect the original films vision and thinking they are "improving" things.

I´ve done this kind of work and it´s mostly: "Hey were telecining this film. Does the director/DoP wanna come and check it? No? Well then the telecine artist/colorist will decide because he/she doesn´t know how it should look." Film scanning is rarely just clickety clack of hey now it looks just like the original!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Pingiivi posted:

I´ve done this kind of work and it´s mostly: "Hey were telecining this film. Does the director/DoP wanna come and check it? No? Well then the telecine artist/colorist will decide because he/she doesn´t know how it should look." Film scanning is rarely just clickety clack of hey now it looks just like the original!

I used to work in a posthouse doing this poo poo for Star Trek: TNG and the film that's scanned is the raw negative, not the color-graded masters that sees theaters and initial home releases. And yeah, that's basically it, usually the color house is catering what the client (studio) wants and not the artist that created the work. I was surprised the amount of time that went into the color, it's loving nuts, and a drat shame the clients ordering the remasters don't get the original artists to work on them but then again, money.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Trivia posted:

Worst part of visiting the States was a serious lack of washlets / bidets (and the heated seats that come with them). Especially in places like Colorado. Barbarians, all of you.

Counterpoint - most of us don't need them because we bathe every day. :smug:

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

I remember some comedian was talking about when he went to vegas and they had a bidet in the bathroom, so he cranked the dial to 11 to see what it would do, and it basically forcefully enema'd him. drat I wish I could remember who that was. It was a hilarious set.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

:vince:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Expected Dickbutt, witnessed magic :allears:.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Trivia posted:

Barbarians, all of you.

Pyro Fox
Aug 22, 2013

Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Expected Dickbutt, witnessed magic :allears:.

You mean this one?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Please enlighten me on this gifs joke.

Is it a schooner?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It's a loss edit, it's always a loss edit.

Bad Sneakers
Sep 4, 2004

me irl

Trivia posted:

Worst part of visiting the States was a serious lack of washlets / bidets (and the heated seats that come with them). Especially in places like Colorado. Barbarians, all of you.

My boyfriend has one, but it only squirts cold water. We live in upstate New York. :psyduck:

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

MacheteZombie posted:

Please enlighten me on this gifs joke.

Is it a schooner?

If you squint, you should be able to tell that it's loss.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Babylon Astronaut posted:

It's a loss edit, it's always a loss edit.

Pyroi posted:

If you squint, you should be able to tell that it's loss.

I'm dumb.

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life

Ludicro posted:

Superior German superweapons.gif

That was part of the end cut scene for beating Medal of Honor on ps1.
You sabotage the flight of the rocket along with being the one to thermite the super cannon they had in the mountains.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The film originally had a very strong orange color-grading, to add to the oppressive atmosphere of heat. The Blu-Ray release stripped this out. Chalk it up to inexperienced media houses that don't respect the original films vision and thinking they are "improving" things.

That's absolutely terrible, the colours one of the key things in that film.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Mickolution posted:

:tipshat:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Mickolution posted:

Bra-loving-vo
:bravo:

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Haha, not what I meant at all, but you're welcome :)

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

These Michelle Jenneke gifs are getting weird.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's not just this film though. After the initial rush of Blu-Rays where quality and maintaining the original films look mattered, people are noticing a lot of BR releases these days where the pictured has been significantly altered/edge-enhanced/recolored. A few of the AV forums out there have threads dedicated to blu-rays that gently caress with the picture.

My dad finally got a Blu-Ray player and TV to match, but when I looked up the World At War series to buy for him or at least let him know they're out there, I found out the production house cropped everything from 4:3 to 16:9. Like, chopped off the top and bottom of all the footage and the interviews. I am not an AV :spergin: and from what I've found on the internet the clean up was incredible with nothing else being "upgraded", but even so... :psyduck:

edit: I just checked out a copy of it. The opening title is cut on the top and bottom to the point it doesn't fit in the frame properly, and some of the tops of interviewee's heads are out of frame. loving hell.

ryonguy has a new favorite as of 08:05 on Jan 23, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
food

Fridtjof Nansen
Jun 12, 2013

People find it difficult to resist your persuasive manner.

ryonguy posted:

My dad finally got a Blu-Ray player and TV to match, but when I looked up the World At War series to buy for him or at least let him know they're out there, I found out the production house cropped everything from 4:3 to 16:9. Like, chopped off the top and bottom of all the footage and the interviews. I am not an AV :spergin: and from what I've found on the internet the clean up was incredible with nothing else being "upgraded", but even so... :psyduck:

My parents watch 4:3 movies stretched to fill the widescreen TV. I don't get why people can't understand stuff was shot in different formats. USE THE ONE WITH THE MOST PICTURE FOR FUCKS SAKE.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ryonguy posted:

They did that to the video masters of Daria they're using on Australia's MTV now as well. It's really noticeable too (tops of character's head chopped off, etc) and I seriously don't get why anyone would think hacking off part of the frame to stretch the rest would look good.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

ryonguy posted:

I found out the production house cropped everything from 4:3 to 16:9. Like, chopped off the top and bottom of all the footage and the interviews.

Here's the dumb thing. HD stuff is 16:9 and there's no specifications for 4:3 image (well 1440x1080 is a thing but it's for HD anamorphic) so you might go through technical delivery specs for a bunch of channels and they have this little gem: "HD images must fill the active picture area (1920 x 1080 pixels). No ‘blanking errors’ are permitted on new, up-converted, or archive material." Which means that if you made the goddamn greatest 4:3 restoration in the world in HD... You couldn't sell it to BBC for example.

Some technical specs say that if the footage is 4:3 it's just center cropped by the channel which would be worse than the pan & scan job they made. Because it probably would cut lower thirds and faces and whatever.

OH poo poo! HERE'S A GIF!

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Pingiivi posted:

Here's the dumb thing. HD stuff is 16:9 and there's no specifications for 4:3 image (well 1440x1080 is a thing but it's for HD anamorphic) so you might go through technical delivery specs for a bunch of channels and they have this little gem: "HD images must fill the active picture area (1920 x 1080 pixels). No ‘blanking errors’ are permitted on new, up-converted, or archive material." Which means that if you made the goddamn greatest 4:3 restoration in the world in HD... You couldn't sell it to BBC for example.

Some technical specs say that if the footage is 4:3 it's just center cropped by the channel which would be worse than the pan & scan job they made. Because it probably would cut lower thirds and faces and whatever.

OH poo poo! HERE'S A GIF!

Hopefully it'll will eventually be released in the original ratio and in 1080.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They did that to the video masters of Daria they're using on Australia's MTV now as well. It's really noticeable too (tops of character's head chopped off, etc) and I seriously don't get why anyone would think hacking off part of the frame to stretch the rest would look good.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

The biggest gif.

http://www.creativereview.co.uk/cr-blog/2015/january/insa-animated-gif-space-ballantines

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?
Ninja Sex Party is fantastic.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Negronomicon posted:

Ninja Sex Party is fantastic.

I would like to know more.

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?

ultrabindu posted:

Pins has a new favorite as of 16:30 on Jan 23, 2015

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

ultrabindu posted:

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
First footage of True Detective Season 2?

Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

sigh... you really suck at hand
to hand combat i wont lie and
this is way more challenging
then i thought it would be. to
teach you hand to hand combat,
alright i will try to teach you
some more hand to hand combat

I've been watching through Twin Peaks for the first time recently. Such a trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm curious why there appears to be a building flipping back and forth in the top left.