Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
I don't know if its been posted in this thread before or not, but if you are still clinging to unlimited, or just want/need a spare cheap phone,

4G Prepaids work on post paid accounts with no issues.

Verizon is still having silly delusions that they can somehow control phones on their network like the CDMA only days, and will give you the normal "6 month wait for prepaid to post pay BS" But its simply not true. Plop in your sim and enjoy.

Good example is you can get horribly re-named Razr M (now called LUGE) for $50 brand new at Best buy right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

this sweet move posted:

I'm at work and using the direct IP lets me sneak around the proxy server that blocks entertainment sites. :ssh:

This should also work:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3399907
sup Websense buddy

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Mighty Horse posted:

I don't know if its been posted in this thread before or not, but if you are still clinging to unlimited, or just want/need a spare cheap phone,

4G Prepaids work on post paid accounts with no issues.

Verizon is still having silly delusions that they can somehow control phones on their network like the CDMA only days, and will give you the normal "6 month wait for prepaid to post pay BS" But its simply not true. Plop in your sim and enjoy.

Good example is you can get horribly re-named Razr M (now called LUGE) for $50 brand new at Best buy right now.
I just learned a new thing today, It does make sense if you think about how SIM cards work.

Now I have to teach everyone at my call center to not do this dark magic. :drac:
:

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
I just moved here from Canada last July and Verizon are asking for $400 down on a new line to set something up (I've been on prepaid for the last 6 months but my phone is acting weird). I could -technically- afford this but it's kinda ludicrous to drop that much money and have it tied up for a full year... I've got a three year contract down here and I would like to have some kind of phone, is there any way I can circumvent their down payment without going prepaid? Verizon are the only provider that get passable service where I'm living.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Solis posted:

I just moved here from Canada last July and Verizon are asking for $400 down on a new line to set something up (I've been on prepaid for the last 6 months but my phone is acting weird). I could -technically- afford this but it's kinda ludicrous to drop that much money and have it tied up for a full year... I've got a three year contract down here and I would like to have some kind of phone, is there any way I can circumvent their down payment without going prepaid? Verizon are the only provider that get passable service where I'm living.

Umm, no mate, there Is no way to bypass it. It's credit based, and you get it back after a year of good payments. There are like 3 credit companies, and I've seen 18 year-old kids come in off the street with no deposit, and people who are confident they don't do. It's complicated. Me, personally, I had a deposit with everyone, but stopped by a best buy to see and no deposit.

I've heard it refreshes every six months, and you can try multiple places and see if you get multiple results.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Mighty Horse posted:

"Superuser request: My Verizon Mobile"
:frogout:

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Hey all,

My phone plan is paid for by the company I work for, but that employment is soon coming to an end. I think I'd like to make the switch to T-Mobile on a family plan with my gf. Currently she's on a Verizon Share Everything Plan with her family, and I'm on some form of business account. We both upgraded to iPhone 6's on contract (because neither of us anticipated wanting to switch off of our current plans) Can someone help me answer these questions?

- is it possible to avoid an ETF if I want to change carriers when my company stops footing the bill for my cell phone? Is it possible to retain my phone number?

- My gf is not the primary owner of her VZW family plan account. If she wants to avoid an ETF and retain her number, are there any ways to do that? Her family would continue with verizon, but individually she would leave the family plan.

Thanks for any insights

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

negativeneil posted:

- is it possible to avoid an ETF if I want to change carriers when my company stops footing the bill for my cell phone? Is it possible to retain my phone number?
Is your account VZW? Is it in the company name or yours and they just reimburse you for billing?

negativeneil posted:

- My gf is not the primary owner of her VZW family plan account. If she wants to avoid an ETF and retain her number, are there any ways to do that? Her family would continue with verizon, but individually she would leave the family plan.

If she ports out of VZW to T-Mobile before the contract end date her family will have an ETF. Porting out always causes a disconnect which breaks contract which causes Early Termination Fee. No way to avoid this unless she waits out her contract date or you both move to a VZW account via Assumption of Liability instead of porting out.

Assumption of Liability requires the Owner or designated Manager of the account to call customer service and leave authorization on file.

Porting out technically requires the consent of the Owner but if she knows the account password/pin and account number that is all you would need to provide to T-Mobile for them to start the port-in.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
If you're going to switch to T-Mobile you can use your iPhones but you'll still need to trade in some phones in order to get them to pay your ETFs if you're going that route. They'll also expect you to buy new phones but there's some cheapo flip phones you can get.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I ultimately had to turn off Advanced Calling last night. The first second of conversation was always getting cut off when the other end picked up. After about the 5th phone call that started with awkward silence followed by several rounds of "hello, is someone there?", I turned it off in the settings.

Seems like it's a widely reported bug so hopefully they'll resolve it soon.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
Online rumours suggesting the activation and upgrade fee will change to $40 February 5th.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Deep Winter posted:

Online rumours suggesting the activation and upgrade fee will change to $40 February 5th.
I can confirm this is happening.
Upgrade fee: Changing from $30 to $40
Activation fee: Changing from $35 to $40
Reconnect fee: (only applies if suspended for non-payment): Changing from $15 to $20

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Deep Winter just has to say rumors because it's a big deal if he says anything but I'll confirm it too. I'm not really sad because it'll push my edge % from like 60% to hopefully in the 80% range.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

FordPRefectLL posted:

Deep Winter just has to say rumors because it's a big deal if he says anything but I'll confirm it too. I'm not really sad because it'll push my edge % from like 60% to hopefully in the 80% range.

Lmao, I can just point to droid life and be like "well heck man It was already leaked"

Ugh Verizon just get rid of 2-year already, we know you want to. Whatever, we already push edge.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

The crazy thing to me is that there's still people in my company who are at 0%-10% Edge sales. We get paid purely based on whether its 2 year or Edge and Edge pays 3x better than 2 yr contracts.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

bull3964 posted:

I ultimately had to turn off Advanced Calling last night. The first second of conversation was always getting cut off when the other end picked up. After about the 5th phone call that started with awkward silence followed by several rounds of "hello, is someone there?", I turned it off in the settings.

Seems like it's a widely reported bug so hopefully they'll resolve it soon.

That sucks. Its been flawless for my family and friends. HD calling or whatever Verizon is calling it is awesome.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

A new Turbo soak test invite went out today, but it mentioned advanced calling so it's probably not Lollipop :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kensei posted:

A new Turbo soak test invite went out today, but it mentioned advanced calling so it's probably not Lollipop :(

Not necessarily. The advanced calling bug that I have is known and presumably lollipop would include fixes for advanced calling. Depends on whether they wanted to fast track that bug fix or if they had already fixed it in Lollipop.

Only advantage to me turning Advanced Calling on is data + voice. I know no one on Verizon with a phone capable of Advanced Calling so HD voice does me no good.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

bull3964 posted:

Not necessarily. The advanced calling bug that I have is known and presumably lollipop would include fixes for advanced calling. Depends on whether they wanted to fast track that bug fix or if they had already fixed it in Lollipop.

Only advantage to me turning Advanced Calling on is data + voice. I know no one on Verizon with a phone capable of Advanced Calling so HD voice does me no good.

I hope it is, but I try not to get my hopes up too much...

You can call me, the rest of my family is on iPhones so I am the only one I know with it too :lol:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Advanced Calling also seems to not play nice with forwarding my voicemail to Google Voice, for that matter.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

kitten smoothie posted:

Advanced Calling also seems to not play nice with forwarding my voicemail to Google Voice, for that matter.

I had this same issue, but I manually setup call forwarding and it seems to be working fine again. Just dial *71[your Google Voice number]

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, when you enable it it resets your preferences so you just have to set it up again.

That said, I'm done with Google voice for voice mail. Verizon gives basic visual voicemail for free now and Google Voice never ever ever worked reliably for me.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, when you enable it it resets your preferences so you just have to set it up again.

That said, I'm done with Google voice for voice mail. Verizon gives basic visual voicemail for free now and Google Voice never ever ever worked reliably for me.

I just had to re-enable my GV too, but I didn't know visual voicemail was free. I might give that a shot.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kensei posted:

I just had to re-enable my GV too, but I didn't know visual voicemail was free. I might give that a shot.

Yeah, they have two tiers of it now. The basic limits the number of messages you can have and I believe their length. It also doesn't offer transcription. But I get like 2 voicemails every month so it's fine for me. At least it seems to reliably notify me of them, unlike google voice.

Here's the comparison matrix.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/voice-mail-comparison/

Didn't even know about the free option until I enabled Advanced Calling. Enabling it added it automatically.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 29, 2015

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

XIII posted:

I had this same issue, but I manually setup call forwarding and it seems to be working fine again. Just dial *71[your Google Voice number]

I've noticed that everyone once in awhile I suddenly lose my forwarding settings and it goes back to the regular Verizon voicemail. Not sure if this is related to the advanced calling changes.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

My problem was that even after *71[GV Number] if anyone called me, it'd just ring and ring and ring without GV ever picking up. I tried enabling forwarding numerous times with no luck.

It worked fine when I turned volte off and reset the forwarding, though. Who knows whether it was really Google or Verizon's problem. At that point I didn't feel like spending any more time jacking around with it.

I just like GV because I can listen to my messages from a computer if I want.

vinnie1023
Sep 27, 2002

Coping with unoriginality since 1998.
So I've been doing research on switching to Verizon, and can't seem to find any definitive answers, and a search of this forum wasn't particularly fruitful. I apologize if I searched for the wrong thing and missed the billion times it's already been asked.

From what I can tell, the iPhone 6/6 Plus are basically all the same phone, give or take a few LTE bands. The sim-free unlocked model that went on sale earlier this month should therefore work with Verizon just fine, right? I am buying that phone in particular because I have friends at Apple who can get me a discount off of full retail, making EDGE even more attractive than it already was.

Can I walk into a store and just port my line in on a new SIM? It seems like some stores will insist that this won't work, but people have taken already-active SIMs and just shoved them in the phone and it works no problem. But it seems like activating two lines on an EDGE plan is a win/win for me and the employee, right?

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

kitten smoothie posted:

My problem was that even after *71[GV Number] if anyone called me, it'd just ring and ring and ring without GV ever picking up. I tried enabling forwarding numerous times with no luck.

It worked fine when I turned volte off and reset the forwarding, though. Who knows whether it was really Google or Verizon's problem. At that point I didn't feel like spending any more time jacking around with it.

I just like GV because I can listen to my messages from a computer if I want.

According to the Google Voice set up instructions, they specifically say for Verizon to do three different code:
*71[Your Google Voice number]
*90[Your Google Voice number]
*92[Your Google Voice number]

I'm not sure the difference in them, but I just do all three and so far, it's forwarding correctly with Advanced Calling enabled.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, they have two tiers of it now. The basic limits the number of messages you can have and I believe their length. It also doesn't offer transcription. But I get like 2 voicemails every month so it's fine for me. At least it seems to reliably notify me of them, unlike google voice.
Google Voice reliably notifies me, and I would really miss the hilariously bad transcriptions without it.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

vinnie1023 posted:

So I've been doing research on switching to Verizon, and can't seem to find any definitive answers, and a search of this forum wasn't particularly fruitful. I apologize if I searched for the wrong thing and missed the billion times it's already been asked.

From what I can tell, the iPhone 6/6 Plus are basically all the same phone, give or take a few LTE bands. The sim-free unlocked model that went on sale earlier this month should therefore work with Verizon just fine, right? I am buying that phone in particular because I have friends at Apple who can get me a discount off of full retail, making EDGE even more attractive than it already was.

Can I walk into a store and just port my line in on a new SIM? It seems like so to me stores will insist that this won't work, but people have taken already-active SIMs and just shoved them in the phone and it works no problem. But it seems like activating two lines on an EDGE plan is a win/win for me and the employee, right?

Basically a phone has to be Verizon branded for us to activate. Can you activate a Verizon sim card in a different phone then put in an unlocked iPhone? That, I have no idea. I just know you won't be able to hand them your iPhone and expect it to work.

Also, if you buy it outright, you aren't doing edge. Edge is a payment plan. If you bring a phone to Verizon, and ergo have no contact/edge plan, you are considered month to month and get that discount, which is the same as the edge discount, $15 at below 10 gigs, $25 at $10+. And the employee won't get paid anything for that.

Vvv, haha, guess I was wrong about handing them your phone. Cool deal, nice.

Deep Winter fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 30, 2015

vinnie1023
Sep 27, 2002

Coping with unoriginality since 1998.

Deep Winter posted:

Basically a phone has to be Verizon branded for us to activate. Can you activate a Verizon sim card in a different phone then put in an unlocked iPhone? That, I have no idea. I just know you won't be able to hand them your iPhone and expect it to work.

Also, if you buy it outright, you aren't doing edge. Edge is a payment plan. If you bring a phone to Verizon, and ergo have no contact/edge plan, you are considered month to month and get that discount, which is the same as the edge discount, $15 at below 10 gigs, $25 at $10+. And the employee won't get paid anything for that.

It took some gymnastics, but they made it work. They helped me activate two dummy lines with a "test device" ESN, I picked up my already-ordered unlocked iPhones from the nearby Apple Store, and then they activated them using what sounded like a universal MEID, followed by porting the lines. Initially I was told it wasn't possible, but one of the managers went to bat for me and insisted it could be done. He was right, but it took a lot of work and I can see why the default answer is "you can't".

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

My dad has a company provided Verizon cell phone (I think a Droid Razr MAXX). The thing is pretty much toast though, and in dire need of replacement. The IT guy is impossible to corner to take care of stuff like this, so I'm wondering: would switching his phone over be as easy as switching the SIM card to a new phone? Or does it still require being activated on the network even though it has a sim?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
A sim swap is all you need now.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Cozmosis posted:

A sim swap is all you need now.

Awesome - if it needs a new sim card size, can a Verizon store take care of that without needing to have access to the account?

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

IuniusBrutus posted:

Awesome - if it needs a new sim card size, can a Verizon store take care of that without needing to have access to the account?

No. If the sizes are different, and you can't cut it to shape and swap, they have to change it manually in the system.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
If you get a brand new SIM and your new phone isn't on Verizon's whitelist, you will probably have to activate in a Verizon certified device and then swap it to your phone. Use a friend's phone or bug Verizon to use a demo unit.

That is what people did with the Nexus 7 (2013) LTE tablet before Verizon certified it.

Edit: This problem is pretty rare and I think I was confusing the asker with the guy talking about using an unlocked iPhone.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 1, 2015

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

kensei posted:

I hope it is, but I try not to get my hopes up too much...

You can call me, the rest of my family is on iPhones so I am the only one I know with it too :lol:

IPhone 6 has HD calling.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The Nexus 6 now shows up as "coming soon."

I wonder if this was a repeat of 2011 and they were just sitting on this for a while so as to not cannibalize sales of the Droid Turbo.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
Maybe I'll be able use voice/data sooner than I expected. Been rocking a play store Nexus 6 since November :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

IPhone 6 has HD calling.

My wife has a 5S, other family members are rocking the 5C :negative:

• Locked thread