Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
as a child the psx chrono trigger could suffice but if you have money just buy the ds version

from what I understand the ds ff4 is really good too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
FF4 DS has a host of technical problems independent of the gameplay but I loved the increased challenge and various quality of life improvements. It really weirded me out in I think the Vita thread where a bunch of people were claiming it was thought as being the worst version. I don't think I could ever go back to any other one besides the DS iteration at this point.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah the color standards for PAL and NTSC were totally different and the refresh rates were different too. You'd basically need an RGB connector for the colors to appear right and then also pray your TV could support 60Hz for playing import games. If there is one thing I'm thankful to the prominence of high definition for, is getting rid of all that bullshit and have everything have a universal standard.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I just beat FF13 and that game has literally one redeeming thing about its finale.

The final boss is Megabyte, Hexadecimal, and a baby. You could dub Tony Jay over this poo poo and it's Reboot in HD, that's how goddamn on the nose this is. Everything else about that finale, though, is probably tied for the dumbest thing I have ever seen in a JRPG. And not in a good way. In a "nothing makes sense anymore and it's like a 3 year old is telling me how the game ends" fashion.

So of course, I'm going to bed now while XIII-2 installs.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

I just beat FF13 and that game has literally one redeeming thing about its finale.

The final boss is Megabyte, Hexadecimal, and a baby. You could dub Tony Jay over this poo poo and it's Reboot in HD, that's how goddamn on the nose this is. Everything else about that finale, though, is probably tied for the dumbest thing I have ever seen in a JRPG. And not in a good way. In a "nothing makes sense anymore and it's like a 3 year old is telling me how the game ends" fashion.

So of course, I'm going to bed now while XIII-2 installs.

why are you wasting your time on garbage you loving retard

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
skip 13-2 and go play lightning returns so you can get your iv drip of the stupidest poo poo in an rpg resupplied

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

corn in the bible posted:

gently caress you they are all garbage

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Levantine posted:

gently caress you they are all garbage

if you really feel that way then don't play any of them, it is so annoying when people say WOW THAT WAS AWFUL LETS KEEP PLAYING ANYWAY

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

hubris.height posted:

skip 13-2 and go play lightning returns so you can get your iv drip of the stupidest poo poo in an rpg resupplied

Not on Steam yet.

if you really feel that way then don't play any of them, it is so annoying when people say WOW THAT WAS AWFUL LETS KEEP PLAYING ANYWAY

The big issue is that until the final chapter or so, I was really enjoying XIII. Then that ending poo poo the bed hardcore.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

WOW THAT WAS AWFUL LETS KEEP PLAYING ANYWAY

some people enjoy bad things and that's ok too

i like bad jrpgs almost more than good ones, especially if while i am playing it i can express just how bad it is.

not every rpg can be a megaten game

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

anime.docx

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Does the combat in Parasite Eve get interesting at some point? I'm 3 and a half hours in, and you run around trying to dodge the attacks which can be hard because the area will have invisible barriers and you gotta move in a box adn you're pretty sluggish anyway, you wait for the atb gauge to load, shoot or cure yourself when it's ful, rinse and repeat.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Does the combat in Parasite Eve get interesting at some point? I'm 3 and a half hours in, and you run around trying to dodge the attacks which can be hard because the area will have invisible barriers and you gotta move in a box adn you're pretty sluggish anyway, you wait for the atb gauge to load, shoot or cure yourself when it's ful, rinse and repeat.
It's mostly that, only you one-shot bosses on the second run if you keep your built-up gun in the end.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Chrono a sprite-based art style that endures to this day.

I think I'm the only rear end in a top hat that didn't love Chrono Trigger and actually disliked it's art. Must be my suppressed inner hipster or something. I mean I borrowed a friends copy and played it to completion and thought that overall it was pretty ok but was glad I didn't spend my own money on it.

I specifically remember looking at the art and character portraits and thinking "Yuck, this looks like it was done by the Dragonball Z guy." Then later I found out that they actually did bring the DBZ guy on for art direction/creation, and there's not much I hate more than DBZ. So that sort of cemented it for me, I feel pretty ok about my overall meh feelings towards Chrono trigger in retrospect.

It is however a solid overall experience that has aged better than most other classic JRPGs. So if someone today said they wanted to get into classic JRPGs and wanted to know where to start I'd probably have too recommend Chrono Trigger. Then I'd say when they're done with the baby game with the gross art they should immediately subject themselves to Star Ocean 2 or something made by Quintet.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Chrono Trigger was just a lot different than anything that had come out at the time. It looked great, had a good soundtrack and a stellar atmosphere. It did some plot twisty things that really no one could see coming seriously, who would expect them to kill off the main character mute protagonist?

It's just a neat game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm guessing you're not a Dragon Quest fan either, which is pretty tragic.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Million Ghosts posted:

Chrono Trigger would be a lot better without the clunky attempts at timing/action sequences in battle. It's kinda clunky but admirable for a snes rpg.

I'm drawing a blank... what are the action sequences in battle? I just remember it being a standard ATB RPG with mixing of skills.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

Nate RFB posted:

In the way that some people are Ford people and some people are Chevy people I was a Final Fantasy kid in that divide. Also Quake > UT. By the time I grew up and realized that I was dumb and you should just play whatever's good I couldn't get into old DQ games because they were old and clunky and I couldn't get into the new ones because of the high quality Akira Toriyama art. So yeah, my loss probably but it can't be helped. :(

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Alright gang what 3ds RPG should I start with

I just got gifted one for my two year anniversary since I would always steal hers when she was reviewing her work notes late at night

I'm gonna be real mad at how much better ds1 and 2 are in their remakes aren't I

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

evilskillit posted:

I specifically remember looking at the art and character portraits and thinking "Yuck, this looks like it was done by the Dragonball Z guy." Then later I found out that they actually did bring the DBZ guy on for art direction/creation, and there's not much I hate more than DBZ.
what the gently caress

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

evilskillit posted:

In the way that some people are Ford people and some people are Chevy people I was a Final Fantasy kid in that divide. Also Quake > UT. By the time I grew up and realized that I was dumb and you should just play whatever's good I couldn't get into old DQ games because they were old and clunky and I couldn't get into the new ones because of the high quality Akira Toriyama art. So yeah, my loss probably but it can't be helped. :(

I'm sorry for your bad taste

This burn took a month to complete after I charged up livewire mountain dew

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ZenVulgarity posted:

Alright gang what 3ds RPG should I start with

I just got gifted one for my two year anniversary since I would always steal hers when she was reviewing her work notes late at night

I'm gonna be real mad at how much better ds1 and 2 are in their remakes aren't I

Shin Megami Tensei IV's pretty drat good. And yes.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Shin Megami Tensei IV's pretty drat good. And yes.

God damnit

iV I've played a little and uh

Compared to persona and DS 1 and 2 and dds

They don't gently caress around

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Tae posted:

Uh...are you thinking of a different chrono game?

It may have critically but not commercially as it only sold a few hundred thousand copies in the West at most.

Nate RFB posted:

I've always wanted to get more into this series after I played VIII so long ago. Is Dragon Quest III or IV widely considered the best in the series? I forget.

ZenVulgarity posted:

God damnit

SMT IV pulls a Witcher 2. It is very hard in the beginning but than mellows out somewhere between standard difficulty and easy a short time later.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Yeah, SMT 4 is really tame once you get a few hours in, aside from superbosses. Not to mention you can break it with DLC.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

punk rebel ecks posted:

I've always wanted to get more into this series after I played VIII so long ago. Is Dragon Quest III or IV widely considered the best in the series? I forget.
I haven't played the first three so I can't comment on those, but the most popular ones seem to be DQIX and DQV. Pretty much all of the DS games available in English are great, with V probably being my favorite.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If you didn't play it on PS2 then Tales of the Abyss will occupy 80 hours. And Bravely Default is one of the best traditional RPGs Square has put out in years. It feels like someone was weirdly nostalgic about FF3 but decided to make it good.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

The most beloved DQ game is probably V.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

al-azad posted:

If you didn't play it on PS2 then Tales of the Abyss will occupy 80 hours. And Bravely Default is one of the best traditional RPGs Square has put out in years. It feels like someone was weirdly nostalgic about FF3 but decided to make it good.
Bravely Default has its issues (like some classes just being flat out Bad), but I appreciate a game that respects your intelligence enough to expect you to break it wide open to survive later-game bosses.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Bravely Default has its issues (like some classes just being flat out Bad), but I appreciate a game that respects your intelligence enough to expect you to break it wide open to survive later-game bosses.

I also like a game that respects the player enough to let them adjust their bullshit tolerance on the fly.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

ZenVulgarity posted:

God damnit

Man, if you think IV is hard, don't ever play Nocturne. I thought IV actually got too easy since they let you transfer whatever spells you want during fusion, so I just made a team of demons who all had the four major elements and could hit any weakness on 90% of the enemies out there.

But yeah, before you have full access to that stuff, IV's difficulty seems out of whack. I died several times on the tutorial. IV actually isn't super well-made overall, unfortunately.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Erebus posted:

Man, if you think IV is hard, don't ever play Nocturne. I thought IV actually got too easy since they let you transfer whatever spells you want during fusion, so I just made a team of demons who all had the four major elements and could hit any weakness on 90% of the enemies out there.

But yeah, before you have full access to that stuff, IV's difficulty seems out of whack. I died several times on the tutorial. IV actually isn't super well-made overall, unfortunately.

I played and beat nocturne. But yeah that makes sense. How is persona q?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I was talking to a coworker of mine the other day, and he asked me if they even made JRPGs anymore. I told him they still did, but they are mostly on handhelds. I asked him what platform he had and he says he only has a PS3. This got me thinking, what legitimately good JRPGs (not SRPGs) are on the PS3? I've heard Tales of Xillia is pretty good and so is Ni No Kuni, but is there anything else?

Nate RFB posted:

I haven't played the first three so I can't comment on those, but the most popular ones seem to be DQIX and DQV. Pretty much all of the DS games available in English are great, with V probably being my favorite.

U-DO Burger posted:

The most beloved DQ game is probably V.

Guess this guys was wrong then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYRbm0Px0XE

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

don't recommend ni no kuni to people you need to have good relationships with

i'm honestly not too sure what to recommend because if he didn't even know jrpgs are still being made he probably wants a traditional one and there weren't really many of those on the ps3

xillia is good tho

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

don't recommend ni no kuni to people you need to have good relationships with

i'm honestly not too sure what to recommend because if he didn't even know jrpgs are still being made he probably wants a traditional one and there weren't really many of those on the ps3

xillia is good tho

In general they seem pretty rare if you don't have a handheld. Even then they seem pretty rare. Outside of Xenoblade, The Last Story, Radiant Historia, Bravely Default, and Tales games I can't think of any traditional JRPGs from the past five years that have been released in the West and are widely considered as good. I guess indies are picking up slack though with Cosmic Star Heroine and Citizens of Earth.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

al-azad posted:

I also like a game that respects the player enough to let them adjust their bullshit tolerance on the fly.

Instead it just completely wastes the players time by having the last 4 chapters being a re-run of the previous 4 chapters and a lot of it due to how completely loving braindead the characters become and then they get rewarded for it despite doing exactly what the villain wanted.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Ni No Kuni is unfortunately a bad game.

The Tales games are all varying degrees of good. The Atelier games are very untypical but good. There's a few Squeenix HD ports that are all worth checking out if you haven't played the originals, and the three FF13 games are very divisive. Eternal Sonata is meh. Resonance of Fate is odd.

That's kinda it for actual JRPGs, though. There's roughly a million Idea Factory games but they're all garbage. There's a few Disgaea games if you count those as JRPGs, they're good. Valkyria Chronicles is excellent but again, not exactly a JRPG.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

No no Kuni is fine as long as you tell theAI not to cast spells and use all-out attack when you want them to do anything.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
xillia is good

hearts r is good and an playing on my vita atm it's real fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

hubris.height posted:

xillia is good

hearts r is good and an playing on my vita atm it's real fun

I thought Hearts was garbage at first but it grows on you. It's like playing a lost PS2 game from 2001. It's so :effort: in its presentation it reminded me of Orphen.