Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Drink-Mix Man posted:

A friend of mine has been sending me files he recorded in Audacity for me to re-edit in Cubase. When I export the .wavs out of Audacity and attempt to manipulate them in Cubase (copy/pasting, or just using any processing commands), they tend to crash Cubase for some reason. Any idea what might be going on?

So far, the only solution seems to be to import into Cubase, re-export, then re-import again which results in a more stable file.
As random a guess as anything, but maybe Audacity writes metadata to the files that Cubase can't handle? WAV metadata is poorly standardized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

What's the best way to analyze a song's structure? Let's use Psycho Killer as an example.

What would you call the "We are vain and we are blind / I hate people when they're not polite" section? And the part sung entirely in French, is that a bridge?

Sorry if my questions are silly

The major parts of the song are the verse, chorus, and bridge. Yup, the French part is the bridge! It's the "completely different" section that only happens once. The lyrics you gave, I'd consider them to be the last bit of the bridge, before going back into the chorus, the section that repeats, almost verbatim if not verbatim (the fa fa fa" section). The verse is the part that repeats with the same melody and chords, but the words are usually different every time.

Less major, this song also happens to have an intro, which is exactly as it sounds: "stuff before the actual song". Usually it's really simple in pop tunes to draw the listener in, like in Psycho Killer it's just the drummer tapping the bass drum.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

As random a guess as anything, but maybe Audacity writes metadata to the files that Cubase can't handle? WAV metadata is poorly standardized.

I can almost guarantee that's what it is. I had the same issue on a recent project. Cubase doesn't always handle marker info from other programs well, so if there were tags or markers in the Audacity sessions, that could be what's tripping it up.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Jazz Marimba posted:

The major parts of the song are the verse, chorus, and bridge. Yup, the French part is the bridge! It's the "completely different" section that only happens once. The lyrics you gave, I'd consider them to be the last bit of the bridge, before going back into the chorus, the section that repeats, almost verbatim if not verbatim (the fa fa fa" section). The verse is the part that repeats with the same melody and chords, but the words are usually different every time.

Less major, this song also happens to have an intro, which is exactly as it sounds: "stuff before the actual song". Usually it's really simple in pop tunes to draw the listener in, like in Psycho Killer it's just the drummer tapping the bass drum.

Thanks. I love how chill everyone is in this thread/forum.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

I can almost guarantee that's what it is. I had the same issue on a recent project. Cubase doesn't always handle marker info from other programs well, so if there were tags or markers in the Audacity sessions, that could be what's tripping it up.
Well, if it is that, then apparently FFMPEG might be able to strip metadata altogether. Wouldn't be too hard to set up a shortcut to drop files upon. If it's going to be a frequent occurence to process files like that anyway.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Not sure what forum is best for this question but I figured the musicians might know the answer to this. I’d like to get a mic that I can use for voice chat while playing Counter Strike (FPS game). I already have a really nice pair of headphones that I’d like to continue using, but they don’t have a microphone.. Is there any way I can get a microphone to attach on my headphones? Or is there some kind of modern table mic that doesn't take up too much space? My headphones are Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs if that matters. I don't care much about sound quality, it's more the convenience factor of having an easily available mic that doesn't need to be set up every time I want to use it and doesn't take up too much space.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Look for lapel mics from radio shack.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0H9-00C9-00001

This should do you fine.

Also

we're music nerds sure

but come on we're still goons

of course we know what counterstrike is

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
That mic stand stand looks quite bulky and seems to be an expensive solution. The lapel mic is more along the lines of what I was thinking. Any idea if they can connect via USB? Potential good brands, or possible costs involved...?

edit: Actually, I just looked up a video review for the Snowball iCE USB Microphone and it is a lot smaller than I expected from the photo on NewEgg. Looks like it would do the trick. Still, if there is some kind of mic that attaches right onto headphones I might prefer that. Thanks for the ideas, both of ya! If you aid me further in this quest I will be forever in your debt.

denzelcurrypower fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 29, 2014

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

a quick google implies that you can't get a lapel mic with usb.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Basically, you can just get one with a 1/4" out and plug it into your soundcard.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011

MoosetheMooche posted:

That mic stand stand looks quite bulky and seems to be an expensive solution. The lapel mic is more along the lines of what I was thinking. Any idea if they can connect via USB? Potential good brands, or possible costs involved...?

edit: Actually, I just looked up a video review for the Snowball iCE USB Microphone and it is a lot smaller than I expected from the photo on NewEgg. Looks like it would do the trick. Still, if there is some kind of mic that attaches right onto headphones I might prefer that. Thanks for the ideas, both of ya! If you aid me further in this quest I will be forever in your debt.

If anyone is interested I found the solution here: http://www.modmic.com/

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

MoosetheMooche posted:

If anyone is interested I found the solution here: http://www.modmic.com/
I knew that existed, but I didn't think about that for some reason.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012
Hey everyone,

Been playing guitar for the past couple of years (electric) and I've been getting into bluegrass, folk, and general old-time string band stuff.

I really want to play it and am signing up for a local folk ensemble but need an acoustic guitar. I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to purchasing acoustic guitars. Could any of you goons advertise me on a good acoustic guitar for folk/bluegrass, etc.? Budget is $600 and below.

Thanks!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So wait, you're an electric player going acoustic for folk?

Is this the part where we yell "Judas!" and you talk poo poo at us and tell the band to play real fuckin' quiet?

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

Is this the part where we yell "Judas!" and you talk poo poo at us and tell the band to play real fuckin' quiet?

Hey, don't discourage him. In fact, Mikey, send me your Electric Guitar in the mail, I'll give you my address. It's on me, bud.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

Allen Wren posted:

Nope, been looking to invest in an acoustic guitar for a while. Not giving up the electric, just want to play different styles of music.

Digi_Kraken posted:

Hey, don't discourage him. In fact, Mikey, send me your Electric Guitar in the mail, I'll give you my address. It's on me, bud.

PM me your address, I'll send you something ;).

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Is there free software which can view Encore files (.enc)? Ideally needs to be longer than a 30 day demo.

Slimchandi fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Dec 31, 2014

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I want a case to carry both my bass and my guitar. Was thinking something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/MONO-M80-2B-G...al+bass+gig+bag

Anyone know of something similar but more reasonably priced?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

MikeyLikesIt posted:

Hey everyone,

Been playing guitar for the past couple of years (electric) and I've been getting into bluegrass, folk, and general old-time string band stuff.

I really want to play it and am signing up for a local folk ensemble but need an acoustic guitar. I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to purchasing acoustic guitars. Could any of you goons advertise me on a good acoustic guitar for folk/bluegrass, etc.? Budget is $600 and below.

Thanks!

My advice is to go to a store that sells a shitload of guitars and just start playing them. Often you can find cheap guitars that sound better than expensive guitars.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

I have too many guitar pickups, and I want to build a case to store them. What, if any, precautions should I take when designing it to make sure their magnets aren't hosed with?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Literally Elvis posted:

I have too many guitar pickups, and I want to build a case to store them. What, if any, precautions should I take when designing it to make sure their magnets aren't hosed with?

Don't build the case out of magnets?
I don't think there's too much to be concerned about, you see pickups stacked next to each other all the time in shops, as long as there's a cm or two between each unit in your design then whatever slim issues there may be will be completely alleviated.
One of those little toolboxes that hold screws or fishing hooks etc in little drawers would be a pretty decent storage system for multiple pickups.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

My dad is organizing a little get-together of (the surviving) members of the rock band he was in back in the day. (Unless you were in northeast Michigan between 1975 and 1980, you've never heard of them. No, they never put out an LP.) He suggested that I could plink away at the keyboards on some of their old songs. Not a public performance or anything, just a couple of guys from the band in a room together.

I am a musician but unfortunately I'm a horn player. The limit of my keyboard experience is noodling along with chord sheets of ELO's greatest hits (Eldorado is my jam) and figuring out melody lines to whatever I'm listening to with GarageBand. My dad's a drummer and guitarist so not too helpful, but given that it's late 70s buttrock it's not exactly, uh, complex. I have an old Yamaha electronic organ, a cheap 88-key Casio keyboard, and a weighted 49-key MIDI controller. I know plenty of major and minor scales and theory but making the connection to keys with them is difficult. I guess what I need is one of those crash course in piano scales books, but the links I found earlier in the thread don't work anymore. What's the standard recommendation for that these days?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Two small questions:

Are there any good online resources or forums that center around how to write good music, generally speaking? As in, not centered around an instrument or a specific style, but where you can get basic feedback on melody/harmony/part writing/whatever?

Also, is there something like AskVideo/MacProVideo for guitar? For those not familiar, I'm looking for a website (could be paid or subscription based) that has lots of video tutorials covering different guitar styles and techniques. I know about Justin Guitar, but I'd love a wider breadth of musical styles.

Red Garland
Jan 6, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVlSVkzbJDA

What are the chords strummed at the beginning? I hear Brian go "let's hear the guitar, please, in B" so I tried minor, major and harmonic scales of B and B# and it gave me nothing. Some hord site says it's a G > C/G > G7 progression and it sort of sounds right, except for the G7 one. Any help?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I have an Audacity chain and some point in the chain I want it to add a new track to which I will add noise. I haven't been able to find a way to do that. Anyone know it's possible and how?

xsuperkidx
Sep 21, 2000

Bread Liar
I'm trying to find somewhere to do a digital transfer of some old family music from reel to reel. Any suggestions on place? I dont want a CD made, just audio files I can archive and work with (24bit 192 or 96khz).

As far as the tapes, I dont really know much about reel to reel, but it would expect it to be high end consumer 70s/80s equipment in mono and stereo. I'm pretty sure the tapes would need to be baked too.

edit:: some more details
approximately 75 songs, maybe roughly 4 1/2 hours of music. They are on 5 7" reels. 4 are 1800 and 1 is 1200. Some are 3.75 IPS and some 7.5IPS.

xsuperkidx fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 17, 2015

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Red Garland posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVlSVkzbJDA

What are the chords strummed at the beginning? I hear Brian go "let's hear the guitar, please, in B" so I tried minor, major and harmonic scales of B and B# and it gave me nothing. Some hord site says it's a G > C/G > G7 progression and it sort of sounds right, except for the G7 one. Any help?

Try F# > B > C#m

DrChu
May 14, 2002

What's the most cost effective tool to shape the fret ends on one of my basses? Cost effective meaning I don't want some $75 file from Stew Mac so I can be a pretend luthier. The frets ends aren't sticking out past the fretboard, but the end that is there is too boxy and needs to be rounded over a bit.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You could use a sanding block and sandpaper in decreasing grits to take the bulk away and then give a fine finish, cover all the wood on the fretboard with masking tape so just the frets are showing and have at it. Also discount stores often sell cheap tools, you might be able to find a suitable file for a couple of bucks that will do the job.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Remember the guy posting about CS mics?

So im gonna pick up a mic for (not super serious) guitar/vocal recording purposes and would like to use it for ~gaming~ as well.

I was thinking I'd run all of it through my mobilepre. Do those blue mics have xlr capabilities as well or would i be better off buying a recording purposed mic like an sm57 or some condenser and just doing it that way?

Also would latency be an issue as far as vidya games through the interface or nah?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

All of the Blues except the Snowball are XLR (as far as I know) the Snowball is USB.

I've occasionally used my full studio rig through TeamSpeak, it doesn't make any difference as far as latency or anything, most of the time I just use my little Snowball that I use for voiceovers and stuff, it works like a charm.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

DrChu posted:

What's the most cost effective tool to shape the fret ends on one of my basses? Cost effective meaning I don't want some $75 file from Stew Mac so I can be a pretend luthier. The frets ends aren't sticking out past the fretboard, but the end that is there is too boxy and needs to be rounded over a bit.

Just get a small triangle file and if your scared grind the teeth off the corners or just be careful.
That's how it used to be done before stew Mac started selling custom files.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Thumposaurus posted:

Just get a small triangle file and if your scared grind the teeth off the corners or just be careful.
That's how it used to be done before stew Mac started selling custom files.

Somehow I missed this before, it seems to be what I need and is reasonably priced: http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Files/Fret_End_Dressing_File.html

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Dabbling here and there in Ableton, I suppose getting a cheap MIDI keyboard helps immensely getting ideas down instead of mouseclicking in a clip view, right?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Dabbling here and there in Ableton, I suppose getting a cheap MIDI keyboard helps immensely getting ideas down instead of mouseclicking in a clip view, right?
Yes, definitely.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Cool, thanks. I was starting to consider myself to be completely inept, especially when seeing people laying down melodies in Youtube tutorials (which they probably practised for) just like that with the mouse.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Cool, thanks. I was starting to consider myself to be completely inept, especially when seeing people laying down melodies in Youtube tutorials (which they probably practised for) just like that with the mouse.
I guess if you're a trained musician and have a background in music theory, it shouldn't be too much of a big deal to click something halfway sensible together.

I imagine it'd be like seeing the matrix for what it really is or something.

I mean apart from all the cheating and editing you can do in a youtube video, it's also possibly just knowledge, not just innate talent or something.

I've got neither and a keyboard is a neat way to quickly audition whether a couple of random chords go together or to introduce a little human rhythm in a world of 1/16ths. And if you've got either or both, you can do a lot more with it, of course.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
A lot of clicking proficiency is just time spent; I've been messing around with Midi patterns for the better part of 8 years, and whilst I'm not exactly Aphex Twin after a while it becomes pretty simple to draw in a drum pattern in a rack in Ableton and know exactly what rhythm is gonna come out before you hit play. It's admittedly harder with notes than beats but as with all this stuff, it's practice. And probably video editing in the case of youtube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

On a track like this: https://soundcloud.com/colorcode-1/night-owl, which (except for the drums) was just recorded to one track, how would one remove the crazy ear-splitting frequencies while still keeping the effect of me fiddling with my keyboard's resonance knob throughout? With my usual EQ (or any other VSTs I have), I can't seem to figure out how to cut or even identify the harsh stuff without taking out something else I like. Am I asking for too much?