Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

And people are clamoring for this? wtf indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

Indolent Bastard posted:

Well, it does have some wicked cool symbols. So there's that, I guess.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Doublehex posted:

Well, it does have some wicked cool symbols. So there's that, I guess.

They all look like factory reject Quake 2 logos.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

It also comes with the PDF for the RPG. Speaking of which, does anybody know if the Mistborn RPG is worth owning? Because I loving love that series.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

The General posted:

It also comes with the PDF for the RPG. Speaking of which, does anybody know if the Mistborn RPG is worth owning? Because I loving love that series.

I've never actually played it, but I remember it looked decent when a friend of mine showed it to me. I can't remember any specifics, though, so take that with a grain of salt. I've never read the books, so I wasn't as interested as I might have otherwise been.

Edit: The PDF sells for $15, so if you were already planning on buying it, $5 more for some dice isn't a bad deal.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The publisher actually has a number of free sample.stuff on their website to check out;

http://www.crafty-games.com/content/mistborn-adventure-game-downloads

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

The General posted:

I preordered it, and I regret it immensely. The system is incredibly poorly thought out, in addition to suffering from the incredible specialization forced by using mistings. The only thing worthwhile I found in the entire book is the setting information, which actually revealed some things that haven't yet been revealed in the books, like the full table of metals and effects for all three magic types.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

The General posted:

I really like it. Sanderson's school of magic design is tailor-made for RPGs, it provides plenty of lore for the series, including details of magic that never showed up in the books. It's a fairly light d6 pool system, it's got Aspect-equivalents, and non-supernatural characters work as well as those with powers.

If you've read Alloy of Law, there's a supplement out for that time period that details the world and new magics of that time, including Compounders and Twinborn. There's also a Terris supplement that adds a lot of detail to the homeland and the Keepers.

Even if you don't end up liking the game, it has enough setting detail that you could use it to run a Mistborn game with another setting.

And here's all of the preview material in one handy PDF.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

The General posted:

Yeah, this was the deciding factor for me. I'm in.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Indolent Bastard posted:

People spend a lot more in plastic miniatures, don't kickstarter shame man

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

As for Conan, I didn't even know about it until I read about it here a few hours ago. Took a look and pledged, even though I detest KS exclusives myself. It just seemed like too good of a deal, getting about 165 minis for a the King level pledge for $135 puts the minis at about 80 cents apiece. Plus the game, which I don't really care about at all, and the other components which look nice too. I would have been happy to pay the price for just the minis. I stopped buying minis mostly about 5 years ago when GW was getting way too expensive. I was looking to paint some miniatures some time last year and picked up Shadows of Brimstone, which I liked as well and thought was a good deal, plus the game was good, so I am hoping this will pan out the same. I wonder if Conan plans to send out all the material at once, as SoB is doing multiple waves as it seems they might have slightly over-promised. October of this year seems pretty ambitious, I would be surprised if it came in time for the holidays.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

So that exploding kittens game is over three million dollars. Check it out on kicktraq. It's in course to make $26 million dollars :q:

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Doctor Zero posted:

So that exploding kittens game is over three million dollars. Check it out on kicktraq. It's in course to make $26 million dollars :q:

$35 for a deck ~70 cards and a game with munchkin level mechanics. I don't get it. :psyduck:

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'
It has funny pictures revealing kittens doing diabolical things drawn by an artist with internet cred.

What is there to get?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Cocks Cable posted:

$35 for a deck ~70 cards and a game with munchkin level mechanics. I don't get it. :psyduck:

I really wouldn't begrudge them their success. I mean, sure, it's not the most—

quote:

So if you're into card games or laser beams or weaponized enchiladas, please help us make this game a reality. We think you'll love it as much as we do.

Hugs and enchilada kisses,

-Elan, Matt, and Shane.

—uuuuuuuugggggghhhhhh.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

bdurso posted:

It just seemed like too good of a deal, getting about 165 minis for a the King level pledge for $135 puts the minis at about 80 cents apiece.

I read sentiments like this and I realize that one of the reasons that great games like Claustrophobia and Earth Reborn get passed over has to be, in part, because they don't bulk-vomit a bunch of plastic poo poo onto your tabletop.

Edit: I'm the guy who bought Descent and all the expansions and I can assure you that a bunch of plastic monsters and muscle men do not make a good game. They really don't.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 24, 2015

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I read sentiments like this and I realize that one of the reasons that great games like Claustrophobia and Earth Reborn get passed over has to be, in part, because they don't bulk-vomit a bunch of plastic poo poo onto your tabletop.

Edit: I'm the guy who bought Descent and all the expansions and I can assure you that a bunch of plastic monsters and muscle men do not make a good game. They really don't.

He mentioned he doesn't care about the game part. Maybe he's got plans to use the figs in an RPG or somesuch?

It's 80 cents a mini, plus a throwaway game on top for a lot of people.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I've seen this sort of sentiment a lot with KS games like this, where people go "the game looks lovely buuuuut those figs look pretty sweet."

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Ravendas posted:

He mentioned he doesn't care about the game part. Maybe he's got plans to use the figs in an RPG or somesuch?

It's 80 cents a mini, plus a throwaway game on top for a lot of people.

Yes, this is quite correct. I was thinking it might be nice to have a lot of minis for some D&D 4th edition games, but mainly I just want the minis to paint. There seems to be a good mix of individual poses, and small groups with same model. I think there are only a few groups of models/poses that number more than 10-15, which is the sort of variety I enjoy, and I imagine most miniature collectors who focus on the painting aspect also don't want/need big groups of 20 or 40 orcs or some such, which makes this deal even more attractive. I burn out quickly on doing a whole army in the same motif, and generally only have a few hours a week to hobby with so being able to paint something new every time is enticing as well. Claustrophobia and Earth reborn might be great games, but I don't recall seeing a lot, if any, talk about them here so I guessed I missed them.

Miniature games with fun rules that you like that happen to cover the topic/time frame of what you are interested in are pretty rare I think. The most popular miniature games tend to have poor game design (GW), are expensive (GW/PP) or have awful player-bases (all) so I would think that most people derive their enjoyment from the hobby aspect with the actual miniatures themselves. I found Shadows of Brimstone to be excellent because I enjoyed the setting, the price, and the miniatures are of acceptable quality. The Conan game has a setting I don't care about at all, but is generic fantasy enough and the models appear like they might be even better quality than the SoB ones, so I think it is probably a win for people looking for miniatures, and , who knows? Maybe the game will end up being really good as a bonus. If you are really into miniatures, then the game is just an excuse to show them off or have an adventure with the people/monsters/stories you have created for them. If you are really into games, buy a game whose creator's primary focus was the game, not minis.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

$35 for a deck ~70 cards and a game with munchkin level mechanics. I don't get it

If I could suggest anything for them, it would be to put the normal card numbers/suits on the cards (in addition to whatever's there), so people can play some different games in the end - and to give a slightly better reward to those who just wanted to support the artist and for whom the game was kind of incidental.

At this point, the whole thing has to be absurdly profitable - I mean, they're hitting the kinds of scales where they should be able to do a very high quality product for very cheap. Oatmeal fans might be disappointed when it turns out this is the last thing he bothers to make.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

bdurso posted:

The Conan game has a setting I don't care about at all, but is generic fantasy enough and the models appear like they might be even better quality than the SoB ones,

If you haven't read Robert E Howard's Conan stories and you play D&D 4e you are completely missing out, bud. Get on that poo poo.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

jmzero posted:

If I could suggest anything for them, it would be to put the normal card numbers/suits on the cards (in addition to whatever's there), so people can play some different games in the end - and to give a slightly better reward to those who just wanted to support the artist and for whom the game was kind of incidental.

At this point, the whole thing has to be absurdly profitable - I mean, they're hitting the kinds of scales where they should be able to do a very high quality product for very cheap. Oatmeal fans might be disappointed when it turns out this is the last thing he bothers to make.

I do wonder how well a simple Oatmeal-themed deck of playing cards would go. The Exploding Kittens were originally Jokers after all. Is the novelty of a "new" game that important even though it's worse than whatever you'd play with standard cards?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If you haven't read Robert E Howard's Conan stories and you play D&D 4e you are completely missing out, bud. Get on that poo poo.

I think I will give them a read, I didn't realize how popular the stories are. Perhaps I will watch the movies as well, if they are worth watching.

When I played 40k I had a small space marine army. I thought, erroneously that doing a yellow army would be fun, so I did an Imperial Fist( I think) army. I also thought it would be fun to do a lot of them without helmets so I had a big box of bits from other models and units that I collected and liked and I did most of the army with a variety of head types and styles. I very rarely played, but one of the few times I did I inadvertently upset the other player at the game store. He became very agitated that my space marines had black folks, Asians and women, as I guess they don't exist in the grim darkness of the future. It was so strange and fascinating to see an adult human being become so agitated that some little plastic models were of the "wrong" race or gender. Perhaps I will paint my Conan figure in a non-traditional skin tone and see how people react. Maybe I can use a little bit of green stuff and put the female characters in more realistic, and more appropriate, outfits as well. I imagine that might irk a few of the less pleasant posters on the Conan KS comment board.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

bdurso posted:

I think I will give them a read, I didn't realize how popular the stories are. Perhaps I will watch the movies as well, if they are worth watching.

The first Arnold-Conan is pretty good for an 80's fantasy film; the second film is less good, but can still be fun to watch (Grace Jones loving owns). The most recent film is poo poo.

None of the films are actually representative of Howard's Conan, though. It happens that the first Arnold-Conan has more in common with Howard's Kull of Atlantis stories than Conan (particularly with the prologue and villain). Ironically, it makes a better Kull film than the 90's Kull the Conqueror.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

bowmore posted:

People spend a lot more in plastic miniatures, don't kickstarter shame man

Sorry they just seem so pedestrian. If it floats your boat then so be it, it just isn't for me and I was shocked at the price for what you actually get.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Indolent Bastard posted:

Sorry they just seem so pedestrian.

Yeah, for a Kickstarted miniature game, there's nowhere near enough titties.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

jmzero posted:

I'm not really familiar with the oatmeal so I can't speak to their usual work, but why do 3 million dollars worth of people not find those illustrations mediocre at best? Being an artist, I'm all for supporting artists, but I'd be embarrassed if I lent my art to a project and it looked like that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cheap Shot posted:

I'm not really familiar with the oatmeal so I can't speak to their usual work, but why do 3 million dollars worth of people not find those illustrations mediocre at best? Being an artist, I'm all for supporting artists, but I'd be embarrassed if I lent my art to a project and it looked like that.

It's their favourite webcomic artist. See: John Kovalic. I don't mind Kovalic's stuff as much as many here do, but I'd never buy something just because he drew it. Thousands differ.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

bdurso posted:

The modern fantasy genre has grown out of a history of fantasy writers going back to the 18th century. Of course, fantasy stories go way further back: at least to Beowulf and the Epic of Gilgamesh (in Europe - I'm not as familiar with fantasy stories in ancient history from other regions of the world). But modern fantasy pulls perhaps most prominently from Tolkein, with Howard running second. Howard of course was heavily influenced by Burroughs, and later, Lovecraft (with whom he carried on an extended correspondence). Tolkein published the Hobbit in 1937 - a year after Howard's death. So Howard might be one of the last fantasy writers to not be influenced by Tolkein's fantasy works.

It's well worth reading purely on the basis of the quality of writing, but in addition, I think it's sort of required reading for anyone who is interested in the fantasy genre, for similar reasons to why fantasy enthusiasts should read Tolkein: to see where we came from and how we got here... and perhaps also to identify the origins of many of the fantasy tropes that have become fairly tired in the last 70-80 years or so. You can also see where imitators have failed to live up to what they're imitating. And, of course, these stories are important signposts on the evolution of gender and race in fantasy works.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Jedit posted:

It's their favourite webcomic artist. See: John Kovalic. I don't mind Kovalic's stuff as much as many here do, but I'd never buy something just because he drew it. Thousands differ.

Did John Kovalic have a big fanbase before he illustrated Munchkin? The impression I had, perhaps erroneous, is that Munchkin is what helped Kovalic get popular, not the other way around. Meanwhile The Oatmeal already has a super-huge level of popularity, complete with merchandising...I've seen stores selling Oatmeal books and wall calenders and stuff.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just wanted to add, this is one of the better discussions I've seen about Burroughs vs. Howard, and whether the former influenced the latter. Get past the handful of random idiots on the first page and the discussion evolves into a pretty well-informed (and even well-cited) debate about the differences and similarities between the two writers, and their two most important characters, Tarzan and Conan. If you're at all interested in the subject of early modern fantasy writing, it's well worth a half-hour read-through.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Space Alert Away Missions is criminally ugly. I don't think I can get past it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Kai Tave posted:

Did John Kovalic have a big fanbase before he illustrated Munchkin? The impression I had, perhaps erroneous, is that Munchkin is what helped Kovalic get popular, not the other way around. Meanwhile The Oatmeal already has a super-huge level of popularity, complete with merchandising...I've seen stores selling Oatmeal books and wall calenders and stuff.

It was decent sized, and it was what helped him get the job illustrating Munchkin. He was up there with KoDT for levels of genre fame thanks to both being printed in Dragon around the same time.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Wasn't Dork Tower published in one of the major gaming magazines of the time? I could see that making him popular enough for SJ Games to take notice.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Mojo Jojo posted:

Space Alert Away Missions is criminally ugly. I don't think I can get past it.

You must mean space cadets away missions. Yes, its hideous.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

Just wanted to add, this is one of the better discussions I've seen about Burroughs vs. Howard, and whether the former influenced the latter. Get past the handful of random idiots on the first page and the discussion evolves into a pretty well-informed (and even well-cited) debate about the differences and similarities between the two writers, and their two most important characters, Tarzan and Conan. If you're at all interested in the subject of early modern fantasy writing, it's well worth a half-hour read-through.

Thanks for posting this! It was a really great read, and has me wanting to give the Tarzan stories a read. I've enjoyed the heck out of John Carter in the past, but never given the Tarzan stories a shake.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Jedit posted:

I gotta be honest, if the Foglios did something like this, I'd drop money on it without hesitation.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Tsilkani posted:

I gotta be honest, if the Foglios did something like this, I'd drop money on it without hesitation.

I have an old copy of SPANC you can have for cheap :)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tsilkani posted:

They already did, sort of. Theirs was an Android/iOS game rather than a card game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Just remembered there's also Legendary Showdown 2 being Kickstarted soon which features Girl Genius, I guess that counts?

• Locked thread