Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Does anyone live in Tulsa/OKC that can check out some cars for me if needed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

What the hell?

The Avanti or one that's actually running?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

keykey posted:

The Avanti or one that's actually running?

Actually running. Sure, it was smoking rather heavily but under it's own power!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

kastein posted:

Jesus, you must be about up to your elbows in that horrible potting compound they use that is basically insoluble in everything. gently caress that poo poo forever.

We are digging the dried encapsulant out by the bucket.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

Really? I've had no issues with the parts I've bought and people rave about their exhaust systems. The 6 needs a new exhaust, it's rusting horribly, and at $230 off I can get the cat-back for like $600 or something. I could probably just hit a local exhaust shop but I've enjoyed working on the Civic so much I'd rather bolt my own parts on.

The only Corksport thing I have is braided SS oil cooler lines oin my '90 RX-7. I have no complaints other than they could have made them about 1/2" longer to allow for differences in cars. It was a close fit. No issues with the actual construction or service. I bought them because the price of OEM cooler hoses and Mazdatrix's SS lines was $gently caress you. These are made like the factory lines with crimped ends rather than AN fittings, but braided stainless. Next time I will likely have the replacement lines made at a hose shop, since I still have the leaking originals.

Anphear posted:

I will also tell my gay friends when they are being particularly flaming, which is particularly uncommon for one of them.

Heh, I like that one.

some texas redneck posted:

I've been in food service for 15 years. I know how to deliver outstanding service, and I try to do that on each and every order. But the place I work at has a service fee, and I don't see a penny of that fee. Most people understand that free delivery has disappeared, and most people know that the delivery fee doesn't go to the driver. I always explain "the fee is $2.50, but it does not go to the driver" when someone asks about delivery fees on the phone.

And that right there is corporate bullshit. If you're going to charge extra for delivery, because ostensibly you have to pay someone more to do the deliveries, why in the ever-living HELL does the delivery person never see that? then they have the unmitigated gall to pay you the pathetic "tipped wage", here in TX, at least. Assholes.

As far as tipping, all I ask for is you keep my damned drink filled. I will give some leeway when the restaurant is obviously busy. I generally tip 15-20%, unless I just flat out can't, but I don't usually eat out then, so that's rare. I've done my time in (fast) food service and pizza delivery. I think everyone should work food service at least once in their lives, just so they can see the other side. God, the messes I cleaned up at Jack-in-the-Box in high school...

Holdbrooks posted:

F1 Do it! I go every year and goon meet while I'm there. It is always worth the trip.

Well, hell, I may have to go this year, then, just to meet some of you guys. I'm in the Dallas area, so it's not really a big expedition to head to Austin for a weekend. I have a friend who would likely be going anyway, and he has a friend who works for the track's IT department.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Actually running. Sure, it was smoking rather heavily but under it's own power!

The classic insurance exemption for emissions is wonderful :allears:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

The classic insurance exemption for emissions is wonderful :allears:

In Georgia, your cars emissions exemption is based on the cars age according to your birth year.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

In Georgia, your cars emissions exemption is based on the cars age according to your birth year.

How the hell does that even work?

NV anything (even awesome moldsmobile 350 diesels) newer than 68' gets the sniff.
You can order street rod plates, or classic plates given its 20 years or older and smog it one time then no more.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I have never worked food service but this is pretty common sense really, in my opinion. Keep my drink filled and don't screw up and I am tipping at least 20-25%.

I can only think of a few examples where I didn't, like the time the waiter seated us and then hosed off for like 30 minutes in a basically empty restaurant, the time I had to actually go to the front desk to ask for a refill after waiting quite a while, and the time one stared at me while literally pulling my glass out of my hand to go refill it. I was about to take a drink and it was half full still, what the gently caress? There is a happy medium in here somewhere and that is not it!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

How the hell does that even work?

NV anything (even awesome moldsmobile 350 diesels) newer than 68' gets the sniff.
You can order street rod plates, or classic plates given its 20 years or older and smog it one time then no more.

So, my 1990 Audi is 24 years old, had my birthday been in December, it would have had to pass the sniff, at least for that year. Since my birthday is in March, it would technically be 25 then, it is exempt from emissions.

Its a combination of your birthday (all your vehicles registration expires the month after your birthday) and the age of the vehicle.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

NV's almost as strict as AZ, drat. It's '67-up here, but instead of having to buy a classic plate (which you can get as long as the vehicle is 25 years old, but has no impact on emissions) you have to buy a limited-use classic insurance policy to cover the vehicle. It's been long enough since I did this that I can't recall if they made you pass one last test for it or not.

CommieGIR posted:

So, my 1990 Audi is 24 years old, had my birthday been in December, it would have had to pass the sniff, at least for that year. Since my birthday is in March, it would technically be 25 then, it is exempt from emissions.

Its a combination of your birthday (all your vehicles registration expires the month after your birthday) and the age of the vehicle.

That is the most asinine thing ever :psyduck:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
AZ goes by the birthday of the car. So, my beetle expires in July, and when I registered it in May, had I bought a one year reg, it would have expired two months later in July. Or so I'm told.

Idaho does the same exact loving thing and it pisses me off.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

CommieGIR posted:

Haha holy gently caress that is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

CommieGIR posted:

Wait, you can't set the month for your registration? What kind of bullshit is this!

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Uploaded a little dashcam footage of the imfamous local ringroad from the other day.
Can you see why it is horrible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfjy2kmO7_E

Apologies for the dirty windshield

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Another week of doing pretty much nothing. I wonder how much longer I can do this and keep collecting a paycheck. At least it's Friday!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

What would be the best way to get a non-operational car home from 120 miles away?

I'm trying to convince my co-worker to buy a $500 1963 Ranchero

Edit: by best, I mean cheapest

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pham Nuwen posted:

What would be the best way to get a non-operational car home from 120 miles away?

I'm trying to convince my co-worker to buy a $500 1963 Ranchero

Edit: by best, I mean cheapest

UHaul trailer and someones truck.

How I brought home the Audi 4k when CIS kicked the bucket.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CommieGIR posted:

UHaul trailer and someones truck.

This, absolutely.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
Or for even cheaper use a car dolly from Uhaul.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

freelop posted:

Uploaded a little dashcam footage of the imfamous local ringroad from the other day.

On/off ramps that share the same lane are my nightmare. I hate that design and all my routine commutes are planned around avoiding them.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Holdbrooks posted:

Or for even cheaper use a car dolly from Uhaul.

I don't think the tires are good enough for a dolly, but with a tow hitch and the U-Haul auto trailer, my Crown Vic could do it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Holy gently caress this ranchero. In mesa if anyone wants to call the guy. I couldn't find it on craigslist.

http://m.imgur.com/a/24cbi

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pham Nuwen posted:

I don't think the tires are good enough for a dolly, but with a tow hitch and the U-Haul auto trailer, my Crown Vic could do it.

They won't let you drive out of their with that trailer and a Crown Vic. They are pretty strict about the tow vehicle used.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My 98 explorer is banned. They had no problem charging and fitting a trailer hitch, but waited until after to tell me they wouldn't rent an actual trailer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CommieGIR posted:

They won't let you drive out of their with that trailer and a Crown Vic. They are pretty strict about the tow vehicle used.

They'd allow a 2-wheel dolley with a CV but yeah, doubt they'll allow a full trailer.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Geirskogul posted:

Holy gently caress this ranchero. In mesa if anyone wants to call the guy. I couldn't find it on craigslist.

http://m.imgur.com/a/24cbi

Oh my god I want this and clearly can't afford it. :stare:

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yeah the Vic could do it but I had to tell them I was towing a 60's bug for them to rent me a dolly whe I brought the outback to AZ from AL.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

freelop posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfjy2kmO7_E

Apologies for the dirty windshield
You'll never get a good lap time driving like that.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

InitialDave posted:

You'll never get a good lap time driving like that.

I'm just getting a feel for the land before the main event

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29755551

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I want it to be like Death Race 2000, only in tracked armour, and instead of hitting people, you get points for destroying Covvo "architecture".

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

IOwnCalculus posted:

NV's almost as strict as AZ, drat. It's '67-up here, but instead of having to buy a classic plate (which you can get as long as the vehicle is 25 years old, but has no impact on emissions) you have to buy a limited-use classic insurance policy to cover the vehicle. It's been long enough since I did this that I can't recall if they made you pass one last test for it or not.

In TX, anything 25+ years old is smog exempt, though it still has to have all of the emissions equipment present (visually at least - they're not going to delve in and see if your catalytic converter is hollow, and a lot of inspectors are just too lazy to look under the car anyway).

You can get either classic or antique plates for anything 25+. But antique plates can't be used for daily drivers; they're only allowed to be driven to shows and mechanics, while classic plates can be used on a daily driver ($15/yr extra for the plate). Antiques don't need yearly inspections, while classics do. I don't think TX gives a drat what kind of policy you have on it, as long as it's insured.

I do have to wonder what will happen once OBD2 cars start hitting 25 years old. Right now, anything OBD2 that has a check engine light lit up is an automatic fail, no matter what it's for (some Mopar products will turn on the light if the a/c compressor clutch shits itself; most cars turn it on for transmission issues; mine is currently lit because the thermostat is sticking, but the engine still gets up to about 160-175).

Geirskogul posted:

AZ goes by the birthday of the car. So, my beetle expires in July, and when I registered it in May, had I bought a one year reg, it would have expired two months later in July. Or so I'm told.

That's loving stupid.

I'm still a little confused how I got a December registration, when I bought my car in January. Any other time I've bought a car, the registration was set for the same month I bought it. The only thing I can come up with is the original owner didn't get a Texas title for it until they traded it in (in December), to the same lot I bought it from - the lot never titled it themselves (I actually saw the original title when signing the loan paperwork, though CarMax had filled in a portion of it).

My car's build date is July 2005, but it's a 2006 model year. Why would someone have to pay taxes on it when it's not even on the road and sitting on a dealer lot?

Phone posted:

Does anything good ever come from a phone call at 2am?

I actually got a telemarketing call at 2am a few months back. Prerecorded, and of course the option to talk to someone caused it to hang up on me.

Rhyno posted:

I do tip, that isnt the argument I was making. I'm tired of crybabies whining about lovely tips or this attitude of "If you can't afford to tip 25% you shouldn't be eating out." I worked in the service industry for 15 years, I know how lovely it is. But with that experience, if you got a lovely tip you probably deserve it.

Edit: and the very prevalent, not just in Indiana attitude of "Black people are always lovely tippers."

I'd say it's more your upbringing than race that factors into tips. I could list plenty of stereotypes that would likely get me a probation, and sometimes they're true. I'm often pleasantly surprised in this delivery area, except for one particular apartment complex.

I generally start my tips at $5 if it's just me, and tend to tip on the high side, but I'm not insulted by receiving the typical 10-20% tip (anything higher and that address gets starred in Google Maps, so the next time I'm on a double, they get theirs first). I do get a bit bitchy when I deliver a $150 order and get $5 (8 pizzas, 2 massive salad trays, plus I set up the whole table in their conference room), and get downright angry when I get stiffed on a $475 order (they had the gall to say they'd mail the tip to me).

What pisses me off are delivery charges though. So many people assume the driver gets all of it, or at least a portion. At Pizza Hut, I got $1.10 of the $2.50, but got paid $5.85/hr, and wasn't actively involved in the production (beyond cutting/boxing). Where I'm at now, I get $0 of the $2.50 (but I make $7.50/hr), and I'm actively involved in every aspect of the store (prep, cooking, cutting, boxing, cashier, making salads/sandwiches, etc). When people ask about the delivery charge on the phone, I mention "it's $2.50, but it does not go to the driver". If I'm asked at the door about the charge (rare), I'm polite, but honest about it.

Darchangel posted:

And that right there is corporate bullshit. If you're going to charge extra for delivery, because ostensibly you have to pay someone more to do the deliveries, why in the ever-living HELL does the delivery person never see that? then they have the unmitigated gall to pay you the pathetic "tipped wage", here in TX, at least. Assholes.

As far as tipping, all I ask for is you keep my damned drink filled. I will give some leeway when the restaurant is obviously busy. I generally tip 15-20%, unless I just flat out can't, but I don't usually eat out then, so that's rare. I've done my time in (fast) food service and pizza delivery. I think everyone should work food service at least once in their lives, just so they can see the other side. God, the messes I cleaned up at Jack-in-the-Box in high school...

Thankfully, I actually get paid (slightly) above minimum wage where I'm at now. No split-wage (where you make one rate while at the store, another while driving), no tipped wage. My actual take-home pay, including tips, is quite a bit higher (my average check at Pizza Hut was around $250-300, here it's closer to $400-450, after they take out taxes for the tips - and my actual tips are a bit more than that), and I'm using far, far less gas. I actually get paid breaks at this place too, which isn't required in Texas (I think it may be in Michigan, which is where the company is based, and the franchise LLC is based in Michigan - owner and GM are both from MI as well).

Plano actually knows how to time traffic lights decently enough in my delivery area that you can generally catch all greens unless you have to cross Preston. My last tank was my first time to hit 26+ mpg in all-city driving too. :woop:

I won't eat in a full service restaurant if I can't afford to tip; I'm off to Wendy's for a chicken sandwich in that scenario (and I'll occasionally sneak off to Wendy's for exactly that when I have a delivery near there - after I've dropped off the order, of course, and only if it's not crazy busy at the store).

And yeah. Stay on top of drinks, damnit. The waitstaff at the Pizza Hut I worked at constantly bitched about getting stiffed or very low tips; probably half the times I walked into the dining room someone would flag me down and ask for a refill. I had no problem doing soft drink/water refills, but I wasn't TABC certified (nor did I really know how to use the point of sale for anything more than dispatching orders), so I'd have to relay alcohol refills to their waiter/waitress. I'd often get asked if I was the manager, and when I'd say no, but tell me what's going on and I'll do my best to fix it, it was ALWAYS the waitstaff. As soon as they'd mention the service, I'd say "yup, you definitely need to speak with the manager - let me go get them". The only exception was when someone wanted an ingredient list for our waffle fries, of all things. Their waitress said she didn't know, and wasn't helpful at all..I happened to walk out and they flagged me down. I told them I'd go find a list - found it printed on the box they shipped in, used a box cutter to remove it, and took it out to them. Turns out their son was autistic and was on a diet that excluded a lot of things, the fries wound up being one of the only things on the menu he could eat.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 23, 2015

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

The one secret that tire companies don't want you to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwjtZlFZBIU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

meatpimp posted:

The one secret that tire companies don't want you to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwjtZlFZBIU

Accident scene recreationists hate him! :argh:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Dad has been on US soil for right around 24 hours. In that time he's linked me several E28 M5's, E30 M3's, a couple Ferrarri's and a few old 911's. He is the BEST influence. I really should just move back to WI so we can have a massive garage of fun old cars.

In other news gently caress CV joints and rebuilding them. What a loving messy pain the rear end job. I got through a one on each axle and am not looking forward to the other two.

LOL Brother and the wife are house shopping again...this should be good.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Just submitted an application to UF. :sweatdrop:

I'm guaranteed acceptance into UCF from Seminole State once I get my AA, including the engineering program there which is a new development; so it's not as nailbiting as it would be otherwise, but drat it would be nice to go there.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Gainesville is the fuckin best man. Good luck!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So, some dude posted offering to trade his bike for a boat on craigslist, but made the horrible mistake of mispelling boat as boar. I've decided to see if he's still willing to trade. :unsmigghh:

CL Ad: http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/boa/4860638733.html

My response:

quote:

Hello, I noticed your add on craigslist and couldn't have been more excited! I in fact have a boar that I'd love to trade for your bike, even better its almost as exotic (but nowhere near as pretty)! I've included a picture of my boar with this email and while I realize you're going to look at that and go "Wait, isn't that a warthog", I'd like to remind you that the warthog is a member of the boar family! This exotic beast was shot in africa in 2002 by my grandfather and the head was brought back to the states to be professionally mounted with the meat going to the local Non-Profits in the area of the south african game preserve. If you're interested in this trade, please let me know. Your bike is amazing looking and I'd love to trade it for my boar! :D

ItsABoar.jpg

Its me, I'm that terrible person you have to deal with on craigslist.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

:suicide:

It still amazes me that people pay 5-7 bucks for burnt to gently caress shitbux coffee (or even worse, Tully's).

• Locked thread