Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ZenVulgarity posted:

How is persona q?

I'm enjoying it, but I'm pretty gay for the Etrian Odyssey games. First of all, you really need to have played Persona 3 and 4 to enjoy this game. Second, the overall story is fairly light, but there are a lot of superficial cutscenes involving the characters, so I don't mind that. Combat is alright, sometimes full of bullshit (I play on Hard mode, so I'm not sure what it's like normally). I'd recommend it if you enjoy Etrian Odyssey games and want more like that, or the original first-person SMT games perhaps.

Edit: This recent discussion of Parasite Eve reminds me of when I played it a couple years ago to see what the fuss was about. I beat the game, but I'd be hard-pressed to say it was a good game. The combat is dull, the story is bullshit, the characters retarded, and the gun customization bland as gently caress (oh, new gun. Looks better. *transfer stats*. Fun). Also the final boss sequence was a load of horseshit that soured me on everything else. It provided a different kind of gameplay, which I always appreciate, but everything else was just...not good.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

al-azad posted:

No no Kuni is fine as long as you tell theAI not to cast spells and use all-out attack when you want them to do anything.
Come on, this isn't the case at all. I say that as someone who played Ni No Kuni to death and even I had to wrestle with the game with the AI mostly disabled and knowing a bunch of tricks. It's anything but 'fine'.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
just play way of the samurai you idiots

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

al-azad posted:

I thought Hearts was garbage at first but it grows on you. It's like playing a lost PS2 game from 2001. It's so :effort: in its presentation it reminded me of Orphen.

not sure what you mean about effort presentation but it is a lot like a ps2 game andt the soma system is enough interesting to keep me going because it also grants weapons which is cool

the plot is pretty dumb tho so far but I just got a person over age 30 in my party which is cool especially cause he has the hulk style sunglasses to hide his haggard eyes

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Morpheus posted:

I'm enjoying it, but I'm pretty gay for the Etrian Odyssey games. First of all, you really need to have played Persona 3 and 4 to enjoy this game. Second, the overall story is fairly light, but there are a lot of superficial cutscenes involving the characters, so I don't mind that. Combat is alright, sometimes full of bullshit (I play on Hard mode, so I'm not sure what it's like normally). I'd recommend it if you enjoy Etrian Odyssey games and want more like that, or the original first-person SMT games perhaps.

Edit: This recent discussion of Parasite Eve reminds me of when I played it a couple years ago to see what the fuss was about. I beat the game, but I'd be hard-pressed to say it was a good game. The combat is dull, the story is bullshit, the characters retarded, and the gun customization bland as gently caress (oh, new gun. Looks better. *transfer stats*. Fun). Also the final boss sequence was a load of horseshit that soured me on everything else. It provided a different kind of gameplay, which I always appreciate, but everything else was just...not good.

I've never owned a DS or 3ds until all of a couple of days ago

Etrian odyssey seems weird

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Personally I found PQ to be really boring compared to the EO series, but I only made it partway through the second labyrinth before getting bored enough to stop.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ZenVulgarity posted:

How is persona q?

Very, very easy but not in a fun way. We're talking "cast the same two spells basically the entire time and you will have no problems" level of easy here. Changing the difficulty level does nothing to stop that, since that doesn't do something sensible like make things not weak to instant death. Bosses and FOEs aren't really much better either; sure, they can't be instantly killed but they're very susceptible to many, many ailments so they're not really a challenge either. They're really more tedious HP sponges which isn't exactly great.

Well, except the second boss who just gets to be Bowyer from SMRPG but somehow even less effective since he's lucky to get more than two turns.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You should only play Persona Q if you liked Persona 3 and 4 cast a lot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rascyc posted:

You should only play Persona Q if you liked Persona 3 and 4 cast a lot.
Honestly even then it's questionable, since the cast kind of gets boiled down to their most basic traits.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rascyc posted:

Come on, this isn't the case at all. I say that as someone who played Ni No Kuni to death and even I had to wrestle with the game with the AI mostly disabled and knowing a bunch of tricks. It's anything but 'fine'.

The problem with the AI is they freely use mp with no limits. All-out attack gives a 10 second window where they use their best skills. Aside from healing there's no other micromanagement needed.

hubris.height posted:

not sure what you mean about effort presentation but it is a lot like a ps2 game andt the soma system is enough interesting to keep me going because it also grants weapons which is cool

The game just looks cheap. The character models have simplistic animations and sometimes a cutscenes will be an anime still. It looks and feels like an early PS2 game. I get flashbacks to Grandia 2 with the way that game looked.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The framerate in Ayesha+ is somehow getting progressively worse as I progress, I swear I was getting single digits at the bazaar.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
Tales of Hearts R is twice as long as it needs to be.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I was talking to a coworker of mine the other day, and he asked me if they even made JRPGs anymore. I told him they still did, but they are mostly on handhelds. I asked him what platform he had and he says he only has a PS3. This got me thinking, what legitimately good JRPGs (not SRPGs) are on the PS3? I've heard Tales of Xillia is pretty good and so is Ni No Kuni, but is there anything else?

Guess this guys was wrong then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYRbm0Px0XE

Nier is wonderful. It was recommended to me here about a year ago. I'm glad it was. It would have been satisfying to play through just for having one of the best soundtracks in gaming even if nothing else was good about it, but luckily, it also happens to have a great story, great voice acting, and a ton of humor. As a bonus, rather than being a teenage kid, the main guy is an older ugly man. Gameplay was okay. It's fast and doing combos is fun at first but it gets repetitive like almost every other RPG. There's some nice boss battles.

As for DQ, yeah, V is probably regarded as the best. But IV is worth playing too. It's right behind V. It does a neat thing where it has you play as different characters in different lands (you'll go from a knight to a shop owner to a dancer to a tomboy princess whose goal is to become the strongest fighter in the world), then they'll all join forces by the end. Since the story and perspective is constantly changing, it never gets boring. In DQ3, your characters are just characters you buy in a shop, there's no connection to them, plot and motivation for continuing on are weak. My opinion on DQ3 is that it's skip-able.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 23, 2015

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Erebus posted:

Man, if you think IV is hard, don't ever play Nocturne.
Am I gonna get my rear end kicked? Haven't played Nocturne yet but I didn't get far into Devil Survivor.

I'm nearly 20 hours into Shadow Hearts Covenant and it is fantastic. The battle system is already my favourite out of any RPG though it could stand to be a bit more challenging. Didn't expect the localization to be as good as it is. The Ring Spirit is hilarious.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
Is it worth getting a PS TV for SAO and other jrpgs? I do not own a Vita.

The 100hrs of SAO sounds ok, but what other games are recommended to get, if I do purchase the TV?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

stoutfish posted:

Its like 30 hours

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

mpyro posted:

The 100hrs of SAO sounds ok, but what other games are recommended to get, if I do purchase the TV?

You have a wide selection of anime to choose from, you'll have to be more specific.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

mpyro posted:

Personally I recommend a vita itself since pstv doesn't support ys and gravity rush

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Speaking as someone who found Ni No Kuni tedious, even I wouldn't go so far as to call it a BAD game. It's not GOOD, of course. Looking past the aggressively stupid AI and a sluggish plot, it's got some interesting ideas, a cool art style, and fairly charming characters and presentation that I think elevate it somewhat. I'd say it's thoroughly mediocre at worst.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

mpyro posted:

I bought mine for the purpose of playing JRPGS. I have SAO and it's janky and mechanically obtuse in places but a lot of fun once you dig in. Tales of Hearts R is pretty great too. If you like Dungeon Crawlers, Demon Gaze is good and fun. You also have access to the PSP/PS1 library too so it really broadens your options.

Only complaint about PSTV so far is it doesn't support Ys: Memories of Celceta yet and may not for a long time (or ever).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Celery Face posted:

Am I gonna get my rear end kicked? Haven't played Nocturne yet but I didn't get far into Devil Survivor.

I'm nearly 20 hours into Shadow Hearts Covenant and it is fantastic. The battle system is already my favourite out of any RPG though it could stand to be a bit more challenging. Didn't expect the localization to be as good as it is. The Ring Spirit is hilarious.

Nocturne is bad if you don't use an FAQ to plan your character/skills, since if I recall, it doesn't tell you which thing unlocks which skill (I think it does say what level it unlocks, though?). Since there's no "undo" button on character customization, doing something dumb like ditching Fog Breath or Pierce will gently caress you over. Also the Matador fight is kinda a giant kick in the balls, and there will always be times you get Mudo'ed or Hama'ed and you lose an hour or so of progress. But overall I don't think it deserves its difficulty reputation, but then again I didn't think Dark Souls did either, so :shrug:

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Celery Face posted:

I mean, my first SMT was Nocturne and I beat it, so it's not like it's impossible without being a grizzled veteran. Just know that it definitely doesn't go easy on you. Pretty much every location, including most towns, has random battles, and the latter half has some areas very prone to instant death spells out of nowhere. Also there are no items to protect against hama/mudo like the homunculi in Persona, so you have to equip against them.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

SMT3 is no harder than any of the earlier games in the series, but considering it was one of the first from the main SMT line to see a western localization that's still going to be a lot harder than most of the people who bought it were expecting. I think its reputation for difficulty has a lot to do with it catching people by surprise. There just weren't very many games like it on the market when it came out.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Nocturne is bad if you don't use an FAQ to plan your character/skills, since if I recall, it doesn't tell you which thing unlocks which skill (I think it does say what level it unlocks, though?). Since there's no "undo" button on character customization, doing something dumb like ditching Fog Breath or Pierce will gently caress you over. Also the Matador fight is kinda a giant kick in the balls, and there will always be times you get Mudo'ed or Hama'ed and you lose an hour or so of progress. But overall I don't think it deserves its difficulty reputation, but then again I didn't think Dark Souls did either, so :shrug:

As far as I can recall, it does not tell you which level a skill unlocks, and you can only see the next one up. You can kind of tell how close you are to the next skill on a Magatama by how fast it wiggles and how bright it is glowing, on the Magatama screen. Pretty much aside from the Fiends, Nocturne isn't hard. It just requires strategy, mostly, in abusing status effects and weaknesses.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Cake Attack posted:

Its like 30 hours

exactly

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Erebus posted:

I mean, my first SMT was Nocturne and I beat it, so it's not like it's impossible without being a grizzled veteran. Just know that it definitely doesn't go easy on you. Pretty much every location, including most towns, has random battles, and the latter half has some areas very prone to instant death spells out of nowhere. Also there are no items to protect against hama/mudo like the homunculi in Persona, so you have to equip against them.
Going from something super easy like Shadow Hearts Covenant to SMT Nocturne seems like a big jump but I guess there should be no problem if I remember to save often. Thanks for the heads-up about the skill and the hama/mudo (whatever that means) thing.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Celery Face posted:

Going from something super easy like Shadow Hearts Covenant to SMT Nocturne seems like a big jump but I guess there should be no problem if I remember to save often. Thanks for the heads-up about the skill and the hama/mudo (whatever that means) thing.

Hama and Mudo are instant death spell lines. Hama being light, Mudo being dark (also sometimes named Expel and Death).

SMT spells use base names (Zio, Hama, Zan, etc), and then show increased power in suffixes (Zio->Zionga->Ziodyne), and multitarget with prefixes(Mazio->Mazionga->Maziodyne). The suffixes and prefixes change a bit with some spells. Nocturne is one of the nice ones, in that it actually tells you the element of the spell and whatnot, so you don't have to memorize that poo poo.

ETA: hosed up word choice.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Protip: you're going to want to have light and dark protection as a part of your character build as quickly as you're able, because random enemies casting Mudo on your main character for a first turn game over is something that happens with some frequency in SMT3.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Never play a normal length Tales game then, Jesus.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm glad SMTIV stopped main character death = game over because it's a stupid design

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Harlock posted:

I'm glad SMTIV stopped main character death = game over because it's a stupid design

Being able to save anywhere/anytime really helps too

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Baby Babbeh posted:

Protip: you're going to want to have light and dark protection as a part of your character build as quickly as you're able, because random enemies casting Mudo on your main character for a first turn game over is something that happens with some frequency in SMT3.

Expel/Light nullification is available pretty early, but Mudo/Death doesn't show up until a bit into it. Getting both on the MC at once is relegated to the super awesome special Magatama, I'm pretty sure.

ETA: Checked, and one of the later ones has resistance to both, but not outright null.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

stoutfish posted:

this is a trait of almost all tales of games

also persona q is really good, play it on hard though if you're a jrpg vet

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Demifiend has built in light/dark resistance, though you can stack more to make it even less likely. I usually just pick up endure and that's usually plenty unless you have a specific fight in mind.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah but you get Resist Expel/Death skills which you can take pretty early on, and then Null Expel/Death skills towards the end game. It's easiest to just make sure to keep those skills so that you don't have to worry about fiddling with your Magatamas to resist them.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Harlock posted:

Yeah instead you get "oh the guest character in your party you have no control over died I guess you'd better start this quest over"

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Are the Chaos Rings games on iOS and Android any good?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

hubris.height posted:

this is a trait of almost all tales of games

also persona q is really good, play it on hard though if you're a jrpg vet

PQ is toddler easy and not good, Hearts R is also toddler easy but is somehow pretty fine.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i disagree based solely on the reaction i had when the first ghost lady jumped out at me

idk i got a bunch of game overs and had to play very safe on hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pq is super easy if you know anything about eo but as baby's first eo it works