Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

paradoxGentleman posted:

Seriously people, watch a couple of YGOpro duels on Youtube and try your hand at it. The game has changed but it's still fun.

e: And really, once you've wrapped your head around the new types of summon it's not that hard.

How representative is the one narrated by in-character Dan Green and Greg Abbey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Proof of this

Sophia no Necloth / Nekroz of Sophia
Light Spellcaster / Ritual / Effect
LV11 3600/3400
You can Ritual Summon this card with any “Nekroz” Ritual Spell Card. Must be Ritual Summoned from your hand by using 3 monsters with different Types you control, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. (1) During either player’s Main Phase 1: You can discard both this card and 1 “Nekroz” Spell Card; during this Phase, your opponent cannot Special Summon from the Extra Deck. (2) When this card is Ritual Summoned: You can banish all other cards on the field and in both Graveyards. During the turn you activate this effect, you cannot Normal or Special Summon other monsters.

What the gently caress Konami? :suicide:
The more I look at that, the more I realize it's a 'win moar' card. You can't activate her (2) effect unless you don't summon that turn, meaning you have to keep three monsters on the field for one of your opponent's turns. If you can keep three monsters alive for a turn without your opponent getting rid of them, you're probably winning already and don't need her. So, uh...she's really not that great, I feel.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Well, you could get rid of her with a Bottomless Trap Hole or a Torrential Tribute before her effect triggers, or something to negate her effect like Breakthrough Skill. If you don't have that though, you're going to have to take the hit.
She would still get her effect off if you chain Bottomless or Torrential. They don't negate effects. You'd want something like Breakthrough or Solemn Warning.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Proof of this

Sophia no Necloth / Nekroz of Sophia
Light Spellcaster / Ritual / Effect
LV11 3600/3400
You can Ritual Summon this card with any “Nekroz” Ritual Spell Card. Must be Ritual Summoned from your hand by using 3 monsters with different Types you control, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. (1) During either player’s Main Phase 1: You can discard both this card and 1 “Nekroz” Spell Card; during this Phase, your opponent cannot Special Summon from the Extra Deck. (2) When this card is Ritual Summoned: You can banish all other cards on the field and in both Graveyards. During the turn you activate this effect, you cannot Normal or Special Summon other monsters.

What the gently caress Konami? :suicide:

Just two days ago I made a friend of mine ragequit and directly say "I never want to duel the Nekroz again." I can't wait to tell him about this.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dexie posted:

The more I look at that, the more I realize it's a 'win moar' card. You can't activate her (2) effect unless you don't summon that turn, meaning you have to keep three monsters on the field for one of your opponent's turns. If you can keep three monsters alive for a turn without your opponent getting rid of them, you're probably winning already and don't need her. So, uh...she's really not that great, I feel.

She would still get her effect off if you chain Bottomless or Torrential. They don't negate effects. You'd want something like Breakthrough or Solemn Warning.

Uhhh about that:

quote:

Nekroz Cycle
This card can be used to Ritual Summon any "Nekroz" Ritual Monster. Tribute monsters from your hand or field, then Ritual Summon 1 "Nekroz" Ritual Monster from your hand or Graveyard whose Level exactly equals the total Levels of those monsters. You can only use this effect of "Nekroz Cycle" once per turn. If you control no monsters: You can banish this card and 1 "Nekroz" monster from your Graveyard; add 1 "Nekroz" Spell Card from your Deck to your hand.

Nekroz Exomirror
This card can be used to Ritual Summon any "Nekroz" Ritual Monster. You must also Tribute monsters from your hand or field and/or banish "Nekroz" monsters from your Graveyard, whose total Levels equal the Level of that Ritual Monster. You can only use this effect of "Nekroz Exomirror" once per turn. If you control no monsters: You can banish this card and 1 "Nekroz" monster from your Graveyard; add 1 "Nekroz" Spell Card from your Deck to your hand.

Nekroz Kaleidomirror
This card can be used to Ritual Summon any number of "Nekroz" Ritual Monsters. You must also Tribute 1 monster from your hand or field, OR send 1 monster from your Extra Deck to the Graveyard, whose Level equals the total Levels of that Ritual Monster(s). You can only use this effect of "Nekroz Kaleidomirror" once per turn. If you control no monsters: You can banish this card and 1 "Nekroz" monster from your Graveyard; add 1 "Nekroz" Spell Card from your Deck to your hand.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

You don't control monsters in the hand or extra deck. You only control monsters if they're on the field, and she has a summoning restriction on her, so...

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
the Special Summon effect's pretty good though

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Both of those ritual monsters aren't really broken at all with those summoning requirement. You need 5 cards in the right place and the right conditions to summon it and their field wipe effect also mess you up. It's harder to summon than Egyptian God cards and you are left with about 0-2 cards in your hand + this monster in the field. Not to mention if your ritual getting negated and you still need to pay the cost of three monsters. There are ritual support cards that make this whole process easier, but not by much unless I missed something.

I like the gimmick of ritual is basically super hard to summon but come with really powerful effects.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

She's still poo poo. She's going to be just like Apoqliphort Towers and Apoqliphort Skybase: a powerful monster that requires too much set up and investment, so she won't see any real play.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Dexie posted:

She's still poo poo. She's going to be just like Apoqliphort Towers and Apoqliphort Skybase: a powerful monster that requires too much set up and investment, so she won't see any real play.

i have died too much to apoqliphort towers and skybase to agree with you

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

There's a lot of teasing that relationship throughout the whole series to the point where Leo and Luna are sarcastically commentating on how they're the third wheel on a date between the two of them and the last episode has Aki confessing her feelings and Yusei accepting them with a very obvious kiss cut. So yes, a Yugioh series had a canon girlfriend for the protagonist.

Didn't they then immediately go their separate ways in the epilogue?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Dexie posted:

Yes, but she'd be out of your hair and you would not get smacked in the face for half your lifepoints. If your deck has good recovery or you've got a decent hand you could handle it.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Did the card game used to be simpler or is it just that I'm too old to understand how.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

PoshAlligator posted:

Did the card game used to be simpler or is it just that I'm too old to understand how.

It used to be a game where stuff happened, now it's just having the deck that plays itself faster. The graveyard went from a graveyard to the second hand.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
original yugioh kinda sucked tbh

edit: the card game, not the show, can't judge there

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Anything beyond Metal Raiders is awful.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

currrent yugioh owns hard if you play skull servants

and why the gently caress wouldnt you play skull servants

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

For me Yu-Gi-Oh as a card game hit its peak around the time the first couple of batches of Western structure decks started to come out. They really pushed the way combos could work at me and I started to get it.

And that Zombie deck man, Christ, what a wrecker.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Rangpur posted:

Ocassionally I get the urge to relive my youth where everything I watched on TV existed to sell me cards and toys. So where the hell are you all even following this, anyway? Does Netflix/Hulu/Crunchyroll carry the subtitled version or something?

Hulu via http://www.yugioh.com has subbed versions of 5DS and Zexal, but otherwise watching the dubs.

I just finished the GX episode where Jaden battles the stoned hippie and everyone but him gets stoned. This is just so stupid and I love it.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Belowski is the loving bomb

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

Endorph posted:

currrent yugioh owns hard if you play skull servants

and why the gently caress wouldnt you play skull servants

Because I'm too busy having fun with my spell/trapless superheavy samurai deck. I'm aware of how many ways someone can wreck me, but oh my god is it fun.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dabir posted:

Didn't they then immediately go their separate ways in the epilogue?

Literally everyone left Neo Domino City except for Yusei.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

paradoxGentleman posted:

Not only Fusion, but also Synchro and XYZ, which is much more noteworthy as they are more commonly used; lots of deck mantain certain XYZ monsters in their Extra Deck just to deal with certain situations.

Seriously people, watch a couple of YGOpro duels on Youtube and try your hand at it. The game has changed but it's still fun.

e: And really, once you've wrapped your head around the new types of summon it's not that hard.

It just feels like there are way too many cards to try and make a decent deck. Having to read a million different cards just to get stuff that works together is too time consuming for me to just jump into.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there are a lot of cards but the days of just splashing the best cards into your deck are long over. You pick a theme you like, and find cards that support that theme. There's no shame in looking up a decklist and building your own deck off of that, either.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Request to update Chumley Huffington's bio to mention eating, specifically grilled cheese sandwiches, loving said grilled cheese sandwiches, and whining about running.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Daily reminder that Jack Atlas is the best character.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
This topic made me want to watch yu-gi-oh. I used to watch it ages ago but they re-ran it so many times I don't think I ever saw past the marik arc, in fact I don't think I ever saw the conclusion of it.

So instead I started reading the manga. What's the general consensus on that? Better or worse than the show?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Momomo posted:

It just feels like there are way too many cards to try and make a decent deck. Having to read a million different cards just to get stuff that works together is too time consuming for me to just jump into.

I'm going to quote myself from the other thread from like 1,5 year back.

Xoidanor posted:

I would try playing again but the obstacle of having to learn how the Xyz-monsters and new meta works seem like an insurmountable obstacle now when I have work. :(

and then just one month later.

Xoidanor posted:

I've been playing for shortly over a month now and I really gotta say the XYZ format is a lot better then the Synchro format that came before it. While some of the new decks are kinda bullshit (spellbooks :argh:) the XYZ have really powered up a lot of old decks. Not to mention all the additional support for old archetypes (intentional and unintentional) that keeps coming out. Being able to build decks like Vehicroids, lvl 2 swarm and cyberdarks and go toe to toe with the top teir decks is pretty great.

I recommend DevPro to anyone that feels like playing. The ability to pop in and immediately find a game definitely makes it easier to find the time to play.

It probably helped that there today are things like yugitubers (so you efficiently can keep up with what is new) and the yugioh wikia (elaborate card tips for almost every card in the entire game) but it wasn't nearly as difficult as it first seemed. The best new thing is Devpro, it is fully automatic (like the DS games) so you don't actually need to know the rules by the back of your hand anymore to play. It's pretty great when getting back into things. :shobon:

Nuebot posted:

This topic made me want to watch yu-gi-oh. I used to watch it ages ago but they re-ran it so many times I don't think I ever saw past the marik arc, in fact I don't think I ever saw the conclusion of it.

So instead I started reading the manga. What's the general consensus on that? Better or worse than the show?

Everything up to the end of the pegasus arc is batshit insane more interesting in the original manga so just switch to the show after that.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Much tighter and better constructed. At the point you stopped watching the anime introduced a year or so of filler arc and then had a low budget for the end arc, so I suggest the manga and then if you want more DM you can watch the anime arcs.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

To be fair, the first filler arc in that stretch (Orichalcos) is generally considered one of the good examples of filler. And as crappy as the other one was, it gave us Kaiba beating the ever-loving crap out of the villain.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nuebot posted:

The Manga of the time before the English Dub starts is freaking awesome and should be read by all.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I didn't really care for the orichalcos stuff. The whole monster dimension thing is something I'm just not into and it being generic Yoshida (hear me out: darkness in mankind, eh? eh? sure isn't lame the fifth time right???) makes it worse for me in retrospect.

The early manga is amazing and Death-T is a masterpiece. Joey is the only right character for never letting go of that.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Oh wait, make sure to skip the chapter about loving tamogatchi, that was really lame.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

forbidden lesbian posted:

Oh wait, make sure to skip the chapter about loving tamogatchi, that was really lame.

No, you have to read that too. The little fucker went Yami and everything. Then it died.

e: And it was a Digimon

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

history lesson :allears:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So I dunno much about the card game, but isn't Pendulum Summoning kinda a huge boost to XYZ summons? I know one of my friends played a deck based around having an 8 rank XYZ that required three level 8 monsters, and could just win the game after three turns with it. Being able to suddenly throw down three level 8 monsters in a single turn seems pretty big.

Though it also seems like just throwing down 3 level 8 monsters at once would win you the game easier than that.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I'd guess it's somewhat balanced out by Pendulum cards that are 9+ being relatively rare, but it's been ages since I last played.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

So I dunno much about the card game, but isn't Pendulum Summoning kinda a huge boost to XYZ summons? I know one of my friends played a deck based around having an 8 rank XYZ that required three level 8 monsters, and could just win the game after three turns with it. Being able to suddenly throw down three level 8 monsters in a single turn seems pretty big.

Though it also seems like just throwing down 3 level 8 monsters at once would win you the game easier than that.

There's not many Pendulum monsters that have a scale of 9, and the ones that DO usually have a restriction on them, usually only letting you summon monsters of that archetype.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I think you will have better luck and safer with synchro summon using a bunch of 4+4 level than having a bunch of level 8 in your hand.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

One of the biggest issues I see with that is that you're not taking advantage of the main strength of Pendulum Monsters, ie that they go to the Extra Deck instead of the Graveyard. Even if you try to XYZ with Pendulum Monsters, XYZ materials aren't on the field, so detaching a Pendulum Monster will just send it to the yard as usual. And if you run a bunch of non-Pendulum monsters to XYZ with, you're not getting much out of the Pendulum Summon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

forbidden lesbian posted:

The Manga of the time before the English Dub starts is freaking awesome and should be read by all.

It's kind of fascinating, he blew up one guy and set another on fire.

What ever happens to Yugi anyway. Like I saw a few episodes of GX on TV when it was airing, and it was vaguely implied he was still alive. But does the series ever touch on the fates of the original cast?