Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Whirlwind Jones posted:

So if you're doing an out-of-warranty swap do you need to set up an appointment or can just any of the regular blue shirt nerds take care of it?

You'll need an appointment.

The blue shirts selling product aren't trained in back end systems for repairs/replacements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Man I tell you what... this iPhone 6+ is the first phone I have had with TouchID and it may very well be my ONLY thing I truly am disappointed with (other than Apple's recent laxity regarding quality of their OS's)

I feel like for a few months I had to re-do my prints in the settings to get it to work when it stopped reading. I wondered if maybe it just needed more time to acclimate so it's been a few months now and they just don't ever successfully unlock. (any of my 3 fingers I have on file.)

Only other guess is dry skin of winter somehow alters my fingerprints to an unrecognizable degree? (Seems extremely far-fetched... but who knows...)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Feenix posted:

Man I tell you what... this iPhone 6+ is the first phone I have had with TouchID and it may very well be my ONLY thing I truly am disappointed with (other than Apple's recent laxity regarding quality of their OS's)

I feel like for a few months I had to re-do my prints in the settings to get it to work when it stopped reading. I wondered if maybe it just needed more time to acclimate so it's been a few months now and they just don't ever successfully unlock. (any of my 3 fingers I have on file.)

Only other guess is dry skin of winter somehow alters my fingerprints to an unrecognizable degree? (Seems extremely far-fetched... but who knows...)
It's possible you have a faulty TouchID. I haven't really heard of the problems you're having.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
Touch ID works for me probably 99% of the time, and it seems to be very permissive when it comes to finger positioning. If you redo your fingerprints, make sure you get good coverage when you do the sides of your fingers.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You're thumbing it wrong.

(TouchID works so well for me that sometimes I just want to check the time really quick and it unlocks before I even get to see the lockscreen.)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Good to know, guys. I will do a restore at some point and from there look into a swap.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

The Dave posted:

(TouchID works so well for me that sometimes I just want to check the time really quick and it unlocks before I even get to see the lockscreen.)

Yeah. If I want to check the lock screen I use a finger that isn't scanned into the phone.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

The Dave posted:

I've done this before and it's actually kind of annoying because it dismisses all the lock screen notifications and I'm like "wait what...?"

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Answer me this, if you would...
a while back it was mentioned by myself and one other that we had recorded the same finger in 2 different angles (dead on and at a holding/side approach.)

It was mentioned that one scan (finger approaching upward from the bottom of the device) would allow it to read your finger at basically any orientation.

Is this true?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I trained it dead-on with my thumb pointing up toward the earpiece, and it will unlock fine in any orientation.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

Answer me this, if you would...
a while back it was mentioned by myself and one other that we had recorded the same finger in 2 different angles (dead on and at a holding/side approach.)

It was mentioned that one scan (finger approaching upward from the bottom of the device) would allow it to read your finger at basically any orientation.

Is this true?

Uh, yeah, that's how mine works anyway.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
While you're setting up the finger print it tells you to do it at different orientations and angles (to get the edges of your fingerprint) but if your fingerprint is properly scanned and cataloged then you should be able to put your finger upside down and have it still read correctly.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

While you're setting up the finger print it tells you to do it at different orientations and angles (to get the edges of your fingerprint) but if your fingerprint is properly scanned and cataloged then you should be able to put your finger upside down and have it still read correctly.

Yeah sorry, by orientation I just mostly meant which direction your finger was, more or less.

Thanks to all of you. If it keeps giving me trouble post-restore I will get another...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Orientation during setup doesn't matter. The entire idea of TouchID is that it works in any orientation. I scanned mine at the angle they naturally fall and I can unlock perfectly in any orientation, even ones I don't see myself ever using (e.g. pointing towards the charge port with my thumb.) If you're having problems, it's almost certainly a hardware defect.

FWIW, it went from like 90% success to 99% after iOS 7.1 on my 5s, but that won't affect your iPhone 6, obviously.

The only other thing I can think of is that you're trying to use the very tip of your thumb rather than the flat part. I did that when I first got it and had trouble with it until I figured out how it's supposed to be used.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Endless Mike posted:

Orientation during setup doesn't matter. The entire idea of TouchID is that it works in any orientation. I scanned mine at the angle they naturally fall and I can unlock perfectly in any orientation, even ones I don't see myself ever using (e.g. pointing towards the charge port with my thumb.) If you're having problems, it's almost certainly a hardware defect.

FWIW, it went from like 90% success to 99% after iOS 7.1 on my 5s, but that won't affect your iPhone 6, obviously.

The only other thing I can think of is that you're trying to use the very tip of your thumb rather than the flat part. I did that when I first got it and had trouble with it until I figured out how it's supposed to be used.

Thanks. Good info. I'm pretty confident I'm using it right. (Flat 'pad' part of finger) because I've gotten so annoyed/particular about it not working so I'm always very thoughtful about how I place it.

I just re-recorded my fingers and it works like flawlessly. Just like it always initially does. We'll see what it's like in a week...

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Any suggestions on how I could set up a specific alert?

I keep my phone on silent, but some nights I need to get woken up if I get a certain type of alert, I also need to be woken up within a minute, and not have the alert delayed 5-15 minutes.

The problem is, the alert comes via two channels but I don't think either one is helpful:
1. SMS. The problem here is that it comes from a different sender every single time, because it's sent to myphonenumber@text.att.net or whatever. The sender always shows as 1 (210) xxx-xxxx, where xxx-xxxx is an incremental number from the previous text message. For instance, 000-0001, 000-0002, etc. Since it's not a consistent number, I can't set it as VIP.
2. Email. The problem here is that it comes to my gmail account, which obviously I can't enable push, and therefore means it could be several minutes delayed (up to 15 minutes).

Any thoughts on what I could do? I'm jailbroken, if that is helpful.

Thanks!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

dexter6 posted:

I keep my phone on silent, but some nights I need to get woken up if I get a certain type of alert, I also need to be woken up within a minute, and not have the alert delayed 5-15 minutes.

The problem is, the alert comes via two channels but I don't think either one is helpful:
1. SMS. The problem here is that it comes from a different sender every single time, because it's sent to myphonenumber@text.att.net or whatever. The sender always shows as 1 (210) xxx-xxxx, where xxx-xxxx is an incremental number from the previous text message. For instance, 000-0001, 000-0002, etc. Since it's not a consistent number, I can't set it as VIP.
2. Email. The problem here is that it comes to my gmail account, which obviously I can't enable push, and therefore means it could be several minutes delayed (up to 15 minutes).

Thanks!

Download the Gmail app or another alternative and use the email route.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

tuyop posted:

Download the Gmail app or another alternative and use the email route.
How do I get it to push alert on only certain emails?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

dexter6 posted:

Thanks!

Set gmail to forward that type of email to an account that does push properly.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.
Forward gmail alerts to your phone via message mail rule to the cellphone number email address and set your phone number's text messages as a VIP so it always rings despite DND.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I think someone brought this issue up a while back in the thread but I can't find it.

My current 6 is an in-warranty swap; my old phone red-screened and died randomly one night.

When I first got issued the replacement, I noticed after a couple of days that the front camera had shifted very slightly away from the earpiece, making a crescent-shaped line of not-lens visible. I ignored it, but now it's been about 3 months and the gap has grown to about 1mm. It doesn't seem to affect the photos I take with the front camera, although I have yet to try FaceTime with it.

Could they fix this at the fruit stand, provided they just needed to open up the phone and reseat the front camera assembly? Would it cost me anything if my phone is still in-warranty?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

The updated chrome app with Google's material design is pretty loving smooth and awesome. It makes me want to get rid of my iPhone with its recently faulty Touch ID (doesn't recognize scanned fingers, gives me an error and won't even let me scan a new finger - no I'm not at my limit) and get a nexus.

However, I realize that a few core Google apps are not indicative of the android experience and I'm sure most apps on android suck or just really pale in comparison to iOS. I have to give it up to Google, though, for having an overall nicer design than iOS.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I think someone brought this issue up a while back in the thread but I can't find it.

My current 6 is an in-warranty swap; my old phone red-screened and died randomly one night.

When I first got issued the replacement, I noticed after a couple of days that the front camera had shifted very slightly away from the earpiece, making a crescent-shaped line of not-lens visible. I ignored it, but now it's been about 3 months and the gap has grown to about 1mm. It doesn't seem to affect the photos I take with the front camera, although I have yet to try FaceTime with it.

Could they fix this at the fruit stand, provided they just needed to open up the phone and reseat the front camera assembly? Would it cost me anything if my phone is still in-warranty?

They'll give you a new phone because your current one is defective.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Could they fix this at the fruit stand, provided they just needed to open up the phone and reseat the front camera assembly?

Maybe? If they can replace the screen at the store, I'd imagine that's what they'd do to fix this.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Would it cost me anything if my phone is still in-warranty?
Your replacement phone is still covered by your orginal warranty. You should be fine.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I took my phone to the Apple Store yesterday because of the crescent camera issue. It was a little off when I got it at launch but I looked at it recently and it had shifted more. At first the genius was telling me since the camera was working to use it until it became an issue but they took the phone and looked again then decided to ask a tech in the back. When he came back he told me they could fix it if I was willing to wait. They didn't swap my phone out though but replaced the screen.

Dream of Janney
Aug 25, 2013

Corsi Enthusiast
Ordered some 6ft. AmazonBasics cables from the OP and am hoping my phone/house/life doesn't melt away.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

serebralassazin posted:

I took my phone to the Apple Store yesterday because of the crescent camera issue. It was a little off when I got it at launch but I looked at it recently and it had shifted more. At first the genius was telling me since the camera was working to use it until it became an issue but they took the phone and looked again then decided to ask a tech in the back. When he came back he told me they could fix it if I was willing to wait. They didn't swap my phone out though but replaced the screen.

Cool. Good to know what to expect. I'm not surprised that it requires a complete screen swap. I replaced the screen on an old 4S for my friend and there were a lot of components attached to the replacement screen that would be hell to try and swap out individually.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I kind of hate that Apple made image previews in Messages larger. There have been plenty of times where I'll type something and attach an image in a message and people only see the image and don't scroll up to see the text beforehand. At least in the old, smaller preview window you were able to see more on the screen and you could tell that there was stuff before it.

Additionally, the fact that the preview image is larger but not a full image means people are less likely to actually open the image and see anything barely cut off on top and bottom. Both examples have happened to me a handful of times. Most of my friends are technological zombies but I would say that accounts for the majority of people using smartphones these days. It's annoying.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dream of Janney posted:

Ordered some 6ft. AmazonBasics cables from the OP and am hoping my phone/house/life doesn't melt away.

These are the literal best Lightning cables out there, and semi-cheap as well. The only downside is the connector piece you hold is fatter than the one on the Apple, so you have to be careful if your case covers the bottom of your phone.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Update to my thumbgate yesterday or the day before... I recorded my two thumbs and one index. Everything worked. My left thumb already won't unlock no matter what I do.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

These are the literal best Lightning cables out there, and semi-cheap as well. The only downside is the connector piece you hold is fatter than the one on the Apple, so you have to be careful if your case covers the bottom of your phone.

They aren't. I'm sure you and others in the group have had great experiences but I've had two fall apart on me in less than 6 months. The Ankers I recently picked up seem pretty decent so far though.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Feenix posted:

Update to my thumbgate yesterday or the day before... I recorded my two thumbs and one index. Everything worked. My left thumb already won't unlock no matter what I do.

I don't know if you've tried this stuff already, but here it goes:

-Clean and dry your filthy goon fingers. If that doesn't work...
-Wipe your phone, install newest version, DO NOT restore any sort of backup. If that doesn't work...
-Go to Apple store and get it fixed. I don't know if they can just replace the home button or if they have to give you a new phone.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Verizon carrier settings 18.1 just got pushed out. What did it change? Probably nothing but gently caress it I'm excited! :bubblewoop:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Verizon carrier settings 18.1 just got pushed out. What did it change? Probably nothing but gently caress it I'm excited! :bubblewoop:

It's the year 2015 and 8 iPhones later but I still get a little excited when I see updates are available for the OS or individual apps.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't know if you've tried this stuff already, but here it goes:

-Clean and dry your filthy goon fingers. If that doesn't work...
-Wipe your phone, install newest version, DO NOT restore any sort of backup. If that doesn't work...
-Go to Apple store and get it fixed. I don't know if they can just replace the home button or if they have to give you a new phone.

Thanks yea I have clean hands and haven't yet done a wipe. The only downside is if have to wipe my phone then wait a few days which is inconvenient on a 'bare' phone. (Because the process of my fingers no longer working seems to take a few days...

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Feenix posted:

Thanks yea I have clean hands and haven't yet done a wipe. The only downside is if have to wipe my phone then wait a few days which is inconvenient on a 'bare' phone. (Because the process of my fingers no longer working seems to take a few days...

You can still setup your iCloud, iTunes, email accounts, etc, just don't restore from any backups (local or iCloud). It sucks, but if you go to an Apple Store without doing that, they may not replace your phone because that is the first troubleshooting step.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm getting a 6 relatively soon and I'm looking at getting an Otterbox Commuter. I've never used an Otterbox before, how are their screen protectors? Should I use it or get a Spigen like I usually do?

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

I'm getting a 6 relatively soon and I'm looking at getting an Otterbox Commuter. I've never used an Otterbox before, how are their screen protectors? Should I use it or get a Spigen like I usually do?

I've got a Commuter, Defender and a Spigen. My preferred setup is the Spigen without a screen protector. Otterbox screen protectors are nice but are wildly overpriced compared to the packs of 3 you can buy for a few quid on Amazon. The screen protectors that are built into Otterbox cases seem to be a bit hit or miss. Mine was ever so slightly raised above the screen so while it didn't really affect my typing much, it was a case of OCD and I couldn't deal with it anymore.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My dad didn't set up Find my iPhone and he lost his phone. Can he get Verizon or Apple to tell him where it is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've run into a few people who refuse to setup find my iPhone for "privacy" reasons. It's very strange and I'm always at a loss for words to help them manage that bizarre technophobia.

It's usually the same people who refuse to do online banking or have wifi or accept cookies. They also use lead lined protective wallets and poo poo. What do you say to those people?