Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

before i get to the new build let me give one final farewell to this turd of a dialog

no, don't tell me how big it is or how far it's come, just run the text off the button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

shadow puppet of a posted:

from 'metafilter discuses hololens'

i never appreciated ballmer's willingness to waste as much money as possible

what was happening between years three and four come stackrank time?

'so you got that meetingroom tv thing figured out yet'
'nope'
'do you want more money or more people'
'yes'
i remember an article about ballmer from 2-3 years ago where they said he did all his work on a giant hdtv touchscreen running windows 8 metro in his office

i guess that was the prototype for the surface hub

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Phoenixan posted:

this but unironically

who said i was being ironic?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

FMguru posted:

i remember an article about ballmer from 2-3 years ago where they said he did all his work on a giant hdtv touchscreen running windows 8 metro in his office

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Now need a version with the dorks flaying around with a holla-lens on.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

stafford beer cries a single joyful tear from his shallow grave in the chilean altiplano

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
4 holographic tweets at a time

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I still cant get over how much they look like tiny elves using ipads

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

the woman on the left doesn't even dare to touch the screen

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

the touch scrolling on the far right screen is terrible

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
lol wow he seriously does just pull his hand from top-mid of the screen to bottom only to have it scroll down a couple of inches

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
what ever happened to that crazy news room, do they still use it?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

those color-matched herman miller leaps were probably taken by a rival dept as soon as the news day was over and it has likely never been used again as nobody wants to deal with gorilla-arm and sore feet from having to stand while you pretend to fulfill the board's directive that you synthesize today's headlines by dynamically meshing social media with a clear focus on audience engagement

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

while you pretend to fulfill the board's directive that you synthesize today's headlines by dynamically meshing social media with a clear focus on audience engagement
fox news is one guy's personal fiefdom. any poo poo they do is purely because of his own whims

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

FMguru posted:

What sort of "work" do you imagine Ballmer actually does, like on a computer, day to day

I would be surprised if it's anything more complex than writing emails and reading pdfs

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

What sort of "work" do you imagine Ballmer actually does, like on a computer, day to day

I would be surprised if it's anything more complex than writing emails and reading pdfs

I bet his assistant converted all of them to xps before sending them through

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

this 10 preview is something else

is this the first time they've switched off 'hide file extensions' as a default setting

not much fanfare there it would have been nice to hear a 'sorry for that decade of deciding on the worst possible default setting to use and the millions of problems it created'

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

whatever_do_you_mean.png.png.zip

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

ahaha oh man they forgot the extra blue borders in hidpi mode

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

windows 9 is the best windows since 7

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

8 and 10 are shameful

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i watched the demo and i won't say that it's a sign of anything, but thank god there are still people at microsoft who know how to put together a tech demo.

i'm hoping we finally move past the years of ballmer trying to sell a release by pumping his fist repeatedly on stage

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

ie11 metro, modern, or whatever it was called is gone. the only decent browser for the surface is gone. now its just normal ie11 with the small button targets. the tablet/normal mode notification spams you with the question every time you disconnect the keyboard. the notification is in the form of a question, but if you tap the notification it just performs the action rather than a yes/no question.

the search box disappears in tablet mode, it becomes a magnifying glass.

it does this when you press the start key:

only on the actual screen draw, the box is pushed down over the taskbar without moving the icons over, blocking them. the snipping tool captured it as it should look, not what it looks like on screen.

8.1 was better for tablets than this

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

so you can say "hey cortana <question>" and it'll answer it

if you say "hey cortana" and wait for it to pop up, it'll time out and just answer the question "cortana" by saying "how can I help you?"

it cannot open programs without "future updates" either

please let this be clippy 2.0

Dolomite posted:

ie11 metro, modern, or whatever it was called is gone. the only decent browser for the surface is gone. now its just normal ie11 with the small button targets. the tablet/normal mode notification spams you with the question every time you disconnect the keyboard. the notification is in the form of a question, but if you tap the notification it just performs the action rather than a yes/no question.

the search box disappears in tablet mode, it becomes a magnifying glass.

it does this when you press the start key:

only on the actual screen draw, the box is pushed down over the taskbar without moving the icons over, blocking them. the snipping tool captured it as it should look, not what it looks like on screen.

8.1 was better for tablets than this

they could've just kept the slide-in task switcher from the previous version? that was horrible to use with a mouse but it worked pretty well with touch - what's the point of having a 'tablet mode' if you're not going to take advantage of it? also if i remember correctly (never used it with touch) windows 7 had a 'touch optimized' mode where the taskbar and some targets were made a little bigger and it kind of blew, why are they regressing? from windows 8?

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 24, 2015

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
hey shags you realize if ms bounces back you'll be like all those fanboys who stuck with apple through the wilderness years based on nothing but its name and had no idea that it would turn around but now pretend they knew it all along

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
clippy did nothing wrong

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
seriously clippy was a hit in tests with the general public, all the hate came (and still comes) from nerds

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I find this usual suspects lineup of default icons to be my favorite part of win10

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Gazpacho posted:

seriously clippy was a hit in tests with the general public, all the hate came (and still comes) from nerds

ngl I was genuinely sad when I got a new version of office at some point and he wasn't there - I don't think I ever used him for anything but they were endearing af I'll give you that

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Gazpacho posted:

it's because the proest assistant option was links

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I find this usual suspects lineup of default icons to be my favorite part of win10

look at that consistent design language, dang

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

so if you use small icons, the search bar goes away, but when you open the start menu, it runs off the edge of the screen when it appears because it appears over the task bar, full sized. can't get a screenshot because this laptop doesn't have a print screen key but lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

overall win10 is an absolute mess right now, let's see if they can clean it up

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

i need to change my choice of 'favorite thing', coming from win7 i had no idea there was a dead-kids-stare-back-at-you app that shipped with the operating system

this is exactly what i needed to unlock my productivity in a mobile-first cloud-first world

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

carry on then posted:

ahaha oh man they forgot the extra blue borders in hidpi mode

i like it better that way honestly

i need to change my choice of 'favorite thing', coming from win7 i had no idea there was a dead-kids-stare-back-at-you app that shipped with the operating system

this is exactly what i needed to unlock my productivity in a mobile-first cloud-first world

lmao

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

yeah but the nikkei's up

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

It really feels like they've regressed, like they've forgotten what metro was supposed to exist for. I'm a total whore for shallow aesthetics and quite liked the whole flat UI trend because it got rid of a lot of things I thought looked needlessly tacky but these icons and most of the UI stuff they're showing in W10 looks like steaming, sweating, heaving garbage. Even with the worse of the ios7 icons there was at least a sense that someone had thought about what they looked like aesthetically; that slide out quick settings panel in W10 looks like a webpage where the stylesheet failed to load or something. You could literally create that panel in mspaint. I know this is microsoft but at least when they were doing poo poo like that bizarre puke green theme for the whistler beta it was at least funny.

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Generic Monk posted:

they could've just kept the slide-in task switcher from the previous version? that was horrible to use with a mouse but it worked pretty well with touch - what's the point of having a 'tablet mode' if you're not going to take advantage of it? also if i remember correctly (never used it with touch) windows 7 had a 'touch optimized' mode where the taskbar and some targets were made a little bigger and it kind of blew, why are they regressing? from windows 8?

yeah the taskbar icons don't change size or spacing in tablet mode, they just move. the only thing that changes is the search box. it also takes any maximized windows down to a 1/4 of the screen when switching from tablet to desktop. it'll re-maximize the window upon entering tablet mode. swiping from the left edge of the screen invokes the new task switcher, the slide-in is gone. the charms bar on a right side swipe now opens the notifications panel.

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

i also have the start screen instead of the mini-start menu, and no ~live tiles~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Dolomite posted:

i also have the start screen instead of the mini-start menu, and no ~live tiles~
how has the lack of modern u-... affected your productivity?

• Locked thread