Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Asimo posted:

20% less marks or so, the optional is now 5 minutes, they fixed the close safe zone, and the hard failure condition is now three dead so you're reliant on pubbies not having shitboats.

Oh loving hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Ha, at this point what exactly am I upgrading all this crap for? All the queues are dead and I've always thought the ground and story missions are trash.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Just jumped in after a couple years of ignoring the game and wow, a lot has changed. The intro Federation missions are greatly improved amd everything seems to be a lot smoother. Ground combat has also seemed to have gotten more fun, which is a welcome shift as well. I think after I find my way around again I'll join SFD. Could be fun playing with other people.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Ha, at this point what exactly am I upgrading all this crap for? All the queues are dead and I've always thought the ground and story missions are trash.

That's the thing about STO's "proper" endgame. It's almost always been about improving your ship to run queues better to improve your ship to run queues better... Which is fine, so long as both ends of that symbiosis flow smoothly into each other. If the queues aren't fun, there's no motivation to run them, and thus no motivation to upgrade. If upgrading isn't fun / is too expensive, the "improved" queues are no longer fun, demotivating others to upgrade.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
With the death of CCA there goes the last popular queue remaining.

Bravo PWE, there is no longer an endgame :golfclap:

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

DancingShade posted:

With the death of CCA there goes the last popular queue remaining.

Bravo PWE, there is no longer an endgame :golfclap:

Ahem. There's still space-Barbie. :colbert:

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Ahem. There's still space-Barbie. :colbert:

And Xean. Never forget Xean.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Just jumped in after a couple years of ignoring the game and wow, a lot has changed. The intro Federation missions are greatly improved amd everything seems to be a lot smoother. Ground combat has also seemed to have gotten more fun, which is a welcome shift as well. I think after I find my way around again I'll join SFD. Could be fun playing with other people.
All those things you listed are good, and real improvements to the game. But they were all put in place before the latest expansion, which is horrible. Basically, the game's great until you get to level 50 when all the fun just gets sucked out.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Hey guys, I found the Emergency Party Hologram.

"Please state the nature of the party emergency."

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I wonder if some dunglord at Cryptic was like "hmmm...all the queues are dead...except for CCA. It must be SO easy that no one bothers to play any other queues! Now that's fixed, everyone will go back to the others. Problem solved. :colbert: "

Not that CCA wasn't too easy, I usually just would park a raider in the general direction of a flank and just spam FAW 1k from the entity and maybe blow up once the entire time if I got unlucky with a spawning tholian ship, but Jesus Christ.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Berke Negri posted:

I wonder if some dunglord at Cryptic was like "hmmm...all the queues are dead...except for CCA. It must be SO easy that no one bothers to play any other queues! Now that's fixed, everyone will go back to the others. Problem solved. :colbert: "

Not that CCA wasn't too easy, I usually just would park a raider in the general direction of a flank and just spam FAW 1k from the entity and maybe blow up once the entire time if I got unlucky with a spawning tholian ship, but Jesus Christ.
They're not even trying to hide it anymore. From their explanation thread:

A cryptic dev posted:

This particular batch of updates has focused on increasing difficulty for queues that are being completed at a higher rate than expected and decreasing rewards for queues that have been over-rewarding as compared to the reward levels we have established across all PvE queues.
In other words, we're supposed to fail most of the queues we run. They're nerfing Cure Space, Crystalline Catastrophe, Colony Invasion, and Fleet Alerts. However, they're increasing the rewards for Bug Hunt (gotta make those DR metrics) and Atmosphere Assault :psyduck:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I can't imagine what the meeting was like when they discussed their "goal" of a failure rate percentage for queues. I wonder if that's why that Hawk guy quit... and how many others thought about it.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

To be fair the rewards for BHE were pretty bad. Like, even though it is very easy, it'd still take like twenty minutes to complete with a good team and you'd only get like twenty marks.

Edit: but this is why I figure they broke with previous mark quality upgrade progression and made Mk XIII and Mk XIV increase in dps at higher rates. Basically make standard content hard enough that the generally awful playerbase can't complete them so they shell out the dil for upgrading their gear. Of course all the queues are really easy but most people in this game are just bad.

I mean, there's a logic to that. I don't know though why anyone at the meeting didn't point out "but what if everyone just quits."

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 23, 2015

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

g0del posted:

They're not even trying to hide it anymore. From their explanation thread:
In other words, we're supposed to fail most of the queues we run. They're nerfing Cure Space, Crystalline Catastrophe, Colony Invasion, and Fleet Alerts. However, they're increasing the rewards for Bug Hunt (gotta make those DR metrics) and Atmosphere Assault :psyduck:

I wouldn't especially mind Atmosphere Assault being 'worth' running(It's minorly interesting, and hey, something to use shuttles on!), but not as 'payment' for the other bits coming down.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
:lol: at this game sometimes.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Bloodly posted:

I wouldn't especially mind Atmosphere Assault being 'worth' running(It's minorly interesting, and hey, something to use shuttles on!), but not as 'payment' for the other bits coming down.
Yeah, I don't really mind them increasing rewards for any queues. I wish they would do it for all of them. But right now it's looking like when they asked the STO forum members to make lists of queues that weren't being run anymore, they weren't looking for a list of queues to fix. They were looking for a list of queues that had had finally been nerfed enough, and didn't need to be made any worse.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
So before they nerf everything, what's the best source for nukara marks now? Wanting to pick up the shield from that rep.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Valatar posted:

So before they nerf everything, what's the best source for nukara marks now? Wanting to pick up the shield from that rep.

Run CCE as much as you can before the next update. Also going to the Nukara adventure zone will get you marks in a short enough time by running the easy to medium difficulty missions.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The thing that just gets me is I'm not even sure what the... goal of all the changes are. Make people run Delta content to improve metrics? Maybe, but then why is Borg Disconnected still an obnoxious shitpile to PUG? Do they want to normalize mark rewards? That's probably fine honestly, but it's also unrelated to big sweeping difficulty changes. Did they want to make queues take longer to reduce the overall reward versus time or encourage people to spend money on upgrades? If so, then why add the hard failure conditions? It's clearly not wanting difficult queue options since that's what the Elite queues are for, but they changed the Advanced queues too...

It just literally makes no sense. I have no idea what PWE is even trying to do. It's like Lorak mentioned already; the endgame of STO was really fragile and depended a lot on people optimizing to reduce queue times rather than increase queue success rates, or being able to easily buy new ships and new equipment toys and throw them at content they already knew. But right now there's massive active discouragements to get new gear (upgrade costs) or run alts (specialization points), and strong passive discouragement from running queues (non-zero failure chance, reduced rewards). The whole game and its monetization scheme is falling apart and Cryptic has to be aware of it, but instead of making sweeping changes to fix or or even announcing an intent to they're just digging in deeper with every patch. It's insane. :psyduck:

Burning_Monk posted:

Run CCE as much as you can before the next update. Also going to the Nukara adventure zone will get you marks in a short enough time by running the easy to medium difficulty missions.
For the moment, Transdimensional Tactics Elite is like 110 marks for three minutes of work, just go in with a full auto rifle (or a TR-116 after those are fixed) and shoot space spiders. Unfortunately, after the next patch its HP is getting tripled and I have a worrying suspicion that this will make it just difficult enough to PUG that most people will abandon the queue. Advanced will probably be fine, but you can barely get TTE started as it is, so...

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Let me get an invite to the channel.

Piscine Rockslab@checkmate667

Also what is the point of rarity in bridge officers?

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 23, 2015

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Deadmeat5150 posted:

In general they come with better quality traits (like "superior <whatever>" instead of the base version) and there's certain skill ranks that only appear on blue or purple-quality duty officers. In general it's better to use purple boffs where possible, but since the traits/skills are random there's no guarantee they'll be better in every case.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Removing cool down timers on queues would go far to encourage playing them more. At least on failures, currently if you gently caress up/have a lovely pug/someone intentionally forces a failure because cryptic can't design poo poo/etc you're looking at eating a poo poo sandwich for 25 minutes to an entire hour on some queues.

Even for beating a queue is the timer doing much? Rewards are underwhelming as is, does it break the game to run BHE three times an hour instead of two?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

They can't remove the cooldown on failures, then people would just fail over and over and get more marks than our metrics demand!! :downs:

The best solution is the one they already had before DR: most queues had no failure conditions (and the ones that did were the gozer-era borg STFs), and the difficulty was either getting the optionals or getting geared up enough to run them quickly. But this apparently isn't an option due to PWE, I guess. But they could at least drastically boost spec XP from a successful queue...

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Has something like this upcoming anniversary giveaway event ever been done before? And if so, anything worth cheering about?

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.

HughGRect posted:

Has something like this upcoming anniversary giveaway event ever been done before? And if so, anything worth cheering about?

Oh man. HughGRect GAR-BAGE DICK!

Excellent avatar, username combo. That worked out great for you.

Yeah, sometimes they give out cool stuff. Sometimes, not so much.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, the previous giveaways have been costumes, c-store items like hortas or tribbles or whatever, and a ship (usually a low-seller) on the last day. It's nice and there's no reason not to log in and claim whatever it is, but don't expect anything too exciting.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Let me get an invite to the channel.

Piscine Rockslab@checkmate667

You're in.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

quote:

The whole game and its monetization scheme is falling apart and Cryptic has to be aware of it, but instead of making sweeping changes to fix or or even announcing an intent to they're just digging in deeper with every patch.

I feel kinda bad for Cryptic. Not Perfect World, you understand, Cryptic.

They struck out on their own after Atari screwed them over. Now Perfect World is turning the screws even worse. They take the majority of blame for issues and mistakes, and things from higher up tie their hands. Morale has to be in the crapper.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
At this point I think Cryptic is doing whatever they can to get enough poo poo metrics to tell PWE to gently caress off, the question is whether or not the game will last through that.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Really wondering if it is even worth logging in to get the anniversary ship, if only because outside of the novelty a lot of these ships don't amount to much outside of pokemon collecting desires but really just finished up doing 25 or whatever days of running Q's Winter Challenge so another month long daily tedious task like that seems a tough sell. Honestly these really grindy seasonal events kind of burn me out as this same thing happened right after the last Risa though that wasn't without the added shitshow of DR and subsequent patches.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

The new ship(whatever it turns out being) is probably going to be the poster child for the Command spec and probably the only Command spec ship for a while. Of course, the Command spec is likely not going to be anywhere near as impressive as +20/30/40% Crit Chance and Crit Damage. It's like they released them in reverse order.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Bloodly posted:

The new ship(whatever it turns out being) is probably going to be the poster child for the Command spec and probably the only Command spec ship for a while. Of course, the Command spec is likely not going to be anywhere near as impressive as +20/30/40% Crit Chance and Crit Damage. It's like they released them in reverse order.
Not a chance in hell that the Vaadwuar mystery ships coming with the new lockbox won't be command-spec too. The real question is when a c-store one will hit, but I can't imagine it'll be too long after.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I'm genuinely stumped how I'm supposed to do the intel spec and commander spec skill lines in any reasonable fashion.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Berke Negri posted:

I'm genuinely stumped how I'm supposed to do the intel spec and commander spec skill lines in any reasonable fashion.

All you need is a computer newer than most pubbie's to figure it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DGNZnfKYnU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

I'm stumped why you'd consider anything in this game reasonable.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Bloodly posted:

It's adorable that you don't think they're going to be doing another 9 pack.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

Lagomorphic posted:

It's adorable that you don't think they're going to be doing another 9 pack.

That's coming too.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
*grunts* I'm having a vision... its *hrrgh* becoming clearer now... I see *breathes deeply* three faction based command ship triple pack bundles for... *sweats* fifty dollars each! Or all 3 bundles of ship with a *breathes through nose* lovely costume I can't quite make out through the fog, *breathes deeply* available for one hundred and fifty dollars BEST VALUE.

The vision has passed. You may exit the medicine lodge ensign.

"gently caress off Chakotay."

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Ok what the hell is with lockboxes? I've had random people just give me several of them so I've tossed them on the Exchange for now. Should I just buy a master key or is there a list of what I can find in them and I can just buy that poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Ok what the hell is with lockboxes? I've had random people just give me several of them so I've tossed them on the Exchange for now. Should I just buy a master key or is there a list of what I can find in them and I can just buy that poo poo?

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Lock_Box

Unless you're specifically looking to accumulate lobi you should just buy lock box rewards off the exchange. The main ship rewards are really expensive but itd literally be easier selling keys bought with zen than to hope on getting them in lock boxes

Edit: the only upside to the R&D and delta rising changes is crafting mats sell really well. When I was playing pretty heavy a month ago just running ground elite queues netted like, 5 mil a day selling them

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 25, 2015

• Locked thread