Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Reene posted:

The staff would probably back me up if I complained but I'm afraid of becoming known as the girl that can't take a joke/compliment/whatever and it's just a lovely situation all around.

I really like the store, most of the people are very rad and I've been doing FNM there for ages, but yeah.

No, see, that's the thing. You've got this feeling of "oh no, what if I hurt his feelings? And what if everyone else hates me for it." In this particular situation, everyone that isn't you can gently caress off. Is that guy you? No? Then he can eat poo poo. You don't get to care about his feelings or your reputation at this (lovely sounding) game store, because apparently that's going to keep you from actually doing what needs doing.

So the next time he approaches you, texts you, etc., just be forthright about it. "I am not interested in you. There might be some underlying feeling that I'm 'friendzoning' you or playing hard to get or something, but I'm not. I am not interested, and I will not be interested at some point in the future. Stop (note, 'stop,' not 'please stop,') touching me, stop trying to invite me to slumber parties, and stop trying to date me. If you want to be friends and play games? Sure, that sounds fun. But you may not touch me and I'm tired of being asked out." And honestly, if it were me I wouldn't even leave in the line about 'if you want to be friends, etc.' in there, because that glimmer of hope might keep him being a creeper.

Guys like you are describing are socially retarded and being subtle will not work here. If you go through one of the store clerks, if they even give a poo poo (because it kind of sounds like they don't), it's going to be blamed on you, and if you go through a friend/buddy it's going to end up as a big thing of "why not let her talk for herself?" Yeah, he's feelings are going to get hurt, but so the gently caress what? Is he you? No? Then gently caress him. Care about yourself and your own boundries in this really creepy instance because this guy definitely doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Swags posted:

No, see, that's the thing. You've got this feeling of "oh no, what if I hurt his feelings? And what if everyone else hates me for it." In this particular situation, everyone that isn't you can gently caress off. Is that guy you? No? Then he can eat poo poo. You don't get to care about his feelings or your reputation at this (lovely sounding) game store, because apparently that's going to keep you from actually doing what needs doing.

What Renee is talking about isn't "oh no what if I hurt his feelings," it's "what if I make a legitimate complaint and then get blackballed as The Girl Who's Always Trying to Make a Big Deal About Stuff, Why Can't She Just Take a Joke (That Bitch)." To you the situation might seem black and white, cut and dried, this guy's a jerk so complain about it or tell him to gently caress off, but in a fair number of cases like this the person being made to feel uncomfortable is stuck between a rock and a hard place because deserved or not, raising a complaint about this kind of lovely behavior can (and has) led to the exact opposite desired result.

Or in other words:

Zurui posted:

Yeah, I don't play magic any more because I complained about a dude offering to grab my chest during a game and became an immediate social pariah.

So maybe Renee feels more comfortable just going "gently caress it, rather than deal with any of this bullshit I'm just going to excise myself from the situation entirely." Which might mean not going back to that game store, which sucks, but that's why it's called a lovely situation.

This doesn't just happen in casual social contexts either, it can (and does) happen in professional workplace environments where it sucks even more because someone raising a complaint about, say, sexual harassment can find themselves being frozen out of advancement opportunities, blackballed in their field, or even let go on spurious pretexts and while legal recourse is always possible it's A). costly, B). time consuming, and C). not guaranteed to work in your favor, so there's frequently tremendous pressure to just keep your head down and suck it up because unlike the LGS you can't just go "well fine, then I won't work here anymore."

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Oh I get it, I was just saying if the FLGS staff was worth a drat they would step in and swat down his excuses. The minute this dipshit got called on it he would be like "Oh ha ha I'm sure it's no problem, right Renee?" at which point the staff should say "don't look to her, this is a problem to me and will stop"

But again FLGS people are usually horrible so they will probably turn on you no matter. I was just trying to think of a way out of it.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

What Renee is talking about isn't "oh no what if I hurt his feelings," it's "what if I make a legitimate complaint and then get blackballed as The Girl Who's Always Trying to Make a Big Deal About Stuff, Why Can't She Just Take a Joke (That Bitch)." To you the situation might seem black and white, cut and dried, this guy's a jerk so complain about it or tell him to gently caress off, but in a fair number of cases like this the person being made to feel uncomfortable is stuck between a rock and a hard place because deserved or not, raising a complaint about this kind of lovely behavior can (and has) led to the exact opposite desired result.

Or in other words:

So maybe Renee feels more comfortable just going "gently caress it, rather than deal with any of this bullshit I'm just going to excise myself from the situation entirely." Which might mean not going back to that game store, which sucks, but that's why it's called a lovely situation.

This doesn't just happen in casual social contexts either, it can (and does) happen in professional workplace environments where it sucks even more because someone raising a complaint about, say, sexual harassment can find themselves being frozen out of advancement opportunities, blackballed in their field, or even let go on spurious pretexts and while legal recourse is always possible it's A). costly, B). time consuming, and C). not guaranteed to work in your favor, so there's frequently tremendous pressure to just keep your head down and suck it up because unlike the LGS you can't just go "well fine, then I won't work here anymore."

I got what she was saying, but I guess Zurui's anecdote drove home the truth of it. Honestly, I've been pretty blessed to have only encountered really awesome game stores before, and that's the kind of poo poo that wouldn't fly at any of them. Most good owners will want to make sure the environment is as friendly as possible, and most good players will want the woman who just want to play around (and, bar logic here, maybe invite a few other girls) than the fat poo poo in the sweat pants. Thankfully, any time I've seen situations similar to Reene's, it's always gone badly for the creep, not the victim.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Reene posted:

For the past month or so I've been fending off a dude that has no sense of when it is and isn't okay to touch somebody. Like he'll walk up behind me and hug me or pat my head and poo poo. He also doesn't appear to bathe/groom much, wears sweatpants, and is a brony.

Last Friday I struck up a convo with a guy who seemed cool and said I should give me his number so he could let me know when some shows were going to be playing in his neighborhood. I should have spotted this flimsy pretext but several days, many texts inviting me to "pajama parties" and a phone call later the dude is terminally not understanding that I don't want to have sex with him and indeed would very much like to be left alone.

I just wanted to make friends :negative:
Please tell me this isn't guardian games. :(

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

It is, yeah.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

DigitalRaven posted:

Well, yes. You have to make it up. It's a roleplaying game. Making poo poo up is how it works...

Are you a fan of the system? Have you played it? I'm curious. The game had potential, but nothing much came of it.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

But again FLGS people are usually horrible so they will probably turn on you no matter. I was just trying to think of a way out of it.

The employee at my FLGS was very supportive and asked if I wanted him removed from the tournament. At that point I'm stuck between "let's make a scene and have a dude ejected" and "no no, it isn't that big of an issue, I just wanted you to know." With the first I am a tattler and immediate social pariah, with the second I am downplaying my distress at being verbally abused. I chose the second, because social programming isn't something you get past easily.

The other players saw me talking to the employee, though (I was clearly upset). It all turned in to "well, if you can't take a compliment" and "you shouldn't wear shirts like that" (by which they mean regular women's tees). The other girl who plays there regularly was the worst, actually. The guys were nice enough not to use words like "tramp." I guess what I'm saying is that "trying to think of a way out of it" is failing to recognize that gaming stores are basically elementary school playgrounds. There is no way out except to leave the store.

Whatever. I spend a lot less money on stupid cardboard now. Night Witches just came out and so I can't be sad about gaming at the moment.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Error 404 posted:

Please tell me this isn't guardian games. :(

Reene posted:

It is, yeah.

Having been to Guardian Games a few times I have to admit this doesn't surprise me tremendously.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Now I'm curious what you guys have seen at Guardian Games to make you say that.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Reene posted:

Now I'm curious what you guys have seen at Guardian Games to make you say that.

Well I never experienced any harassment myself certainly. Really it was just kind of an overall feeling I got from the store itself and the people who had congregated there...the store always felt kind of vaguely "grungy" to me in that "converted Portland warehouse" sense and the few times I was there it was overwhelmingly stereotypical_mtg_player.txt going on in the playspace area. I never saw or experienced anything worthy of the catpiss thread, but neither did I feel like I really wanted to make the effort to go back there either (the last time I went was because my at the time tabletop gaming group wanted to go check out the Free RPG Day selection, otherwise I probably wouldn't have gone).

I guess what I'm saying is it felt very much like the sort of hangout where Bob the guy with a bad grasp of social boundaries and when not to touch people would definitely not be out of place. Maybe that's just me being too stereotypical and judgmental but, well.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Project Blue Book on the internet with search for the 129,491 pages.

http://projectbluebook.theblackvault.com/

Have fun occult and conspiracy gamers!

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

The old GG location was worse about the grungy thing what with being in an actual alley next to a really gross nightclub and all. My ex gf's car got broken into while we were running inside for ~10 minutes to buy miniatures once. That whole area was sketchy as hell. The new store is way nicer.

As far as people go most aren't that bad compared to venues I've frequented in the past. The most common thing I notice is that almost no one seems interested in actually having a conversation with me or being friendly despite my being there almost every week for the past ~6 months, which you would think would be enough to invite more than one-word answers to conversational questions and not darting off the second the match is over. It's probably telling that my social experience of nearly every FNM there and the PTQ I went to are nearly identical. I honestly don't know what the problem is but at least I get to play Magic, which is still a hobby I enjoy for the sake of it.

I'll take that over dudes flicking pennies down my shirt during rounds though, which happened at my LGS in Minnesota, or dudes launching into random homophobic/transphobic rants out of literally nowhere, which is what happened at Knightfall Games in Beaverton OR the one time I went there before it went out of business.

...maybe I do need a new game store. :(

Reene fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jan 21, 2015

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Reene posted:

For the past month or so I've been fending off a dude that has no sense of when it is and isn't okay to touch somebody. Like he'll walk up behind me and hug me or pat my head and poo poo. He also doesn't appear to bathe/groom much, wears sweatpants, and is a brony.
Tell him in very explicit terms that it is never acceptable to touch you. Ever ever. Tell the manager that you have told him this, and that if you need to you'll file assault charges. If you become "that girl that can't take a compliment (that bitch, how dare she not let me cop a feel)" then you find another store and tell everyone you know who goes/might go there about how the staff lets smelly bronies grope other customers with impunity. That kind of poo poo wouldn't be tolerated for a second in literally any other business in the country, why would you allow it at a game store?

Reene posted:

I'll take that over dudes flicking pennies down my shirt during rounds though, which happened at my LGS in Minnesota
Which store did this happen at?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Reene posted:

I'll take that over dudes flicking pennies down my shirt during rounds though, which happened at my LGS in Minnesota

The Source?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Reene posted:

The old GG location was worse about the grungy thing what with being in an actual alley next to a really gross nightclub and all. My ex gf's car got broken into while we were running inside for ~10 minutes to buy miniatures once. That whole area was sketchy as hell. The new store is way nicer.

Oh, I didn't know they'd moved (I've been out of Portland for a few years). I am in fact talking about their old location, which was as you note sketchy as hell.

Reene posted:

As far as people go most aren't that bad compared to venues I've frequented in the past. The most common thing I notice is that almost no one seems interested in actually having a conversation with me or being friendly despite my being there almost every week for the past ~6 months, which you would think would be enough to invite more than one-word answers to conversational questions and not darting off the second the match is over. It's probably telling that my social experience of nearly every FNM there and the PTQ I went to are nearly identical. I honestly don't know what the problem is but at least I get to play Magic, which is still a hobby I enjoy for the sake of it.

And this is what I meant earlier about the crowds there. Every single time I went there and ventured into the playspace to see what was up it was just a bunch of dudes sullenly hunched over Magic decks muttering and/or arguing with each other. There wasn't any sense of enthusiasm or enjoyment going on, nobody (including the staff) seemed interested in striking up a conversation, it wasn't the sort of thing that made me go "oh man, I've totally got to come game here." Also at no point that I ever went into Guardian did I ever see a women there, like, at all.

Contrast this to the game store I stumbled upon in Longview Washington, which while mostly populated by regulars who also fall into many of the typical nerd molds, they've all at least been friendly and outgoing and willing to strike up conversations, suggest games, and on the whole are a lot more personable. That and last night's board game night had a half dozen women in attendance and there was no creeping or inappropriate groping going on so there's that too.

But yeah, sorry that happened but to be honest your description of FNM there sounds like a drag even without the inappropriate touching and creeping business (which is far worse to be sure). I wish I could suggest an alternative but I don't actually know of any...I got out of Magic before I moved to Portland and only occasionally played with friends and if I wanted to browse elfgames I usually just went to Powell's.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Echophonic posted:

I've seen a few AW hacks for Mass Effect, but this is by far the best and most complete.

Actually got some people down to play this this week when my DM bailed. I enjoyed it, but I feel I was the only one because the other two players never did Mass Effect: it was only me and our GM who knew the universe.

I was the first Vorcha spectre who had a Turian handler and a Volus for talky things. We had a Quarian, but she bailed on us due to real life. It almost became Monster Hearts b/c I initially joked about setting one of my Hx as a love one and that set off a chain reaction where everyone loved each other: never came up in play though. Ended up getting infected by the reapers because the Turian didn't think opening a box we were told to handle by the citadel was a bad idea. Then the Volus tried to sell us to the Geth, but, instead, got C-Sec trying to kill us all. Too bad, the game died there b/c it was just getting good especially because I was willingly letting the Reapers guide me to give me an edge (like security codes).

Edit: By the way, Vorchas, in-fiction, are actually really cool. Like, if they lived longer than 20 years, they would probably be a serious threat at the same level of Krogans.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Vorchas own.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
...I think I may have just accidentally caused a bunch of people to go buy Blue Rose, oops.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
That sounds like a good accomplishment. Why "oops"?

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Was it by showing them BlueRose.flv?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTWpzq5Pr7I

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

This is now my favorite thing ever.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

This got even funnier when I realized that those aren't clips from a TV show/movie (and that the singer is also the male lead).

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I mostly watch that in stunned silence until "Love has enemies" pop up at the end and now I can't stop laughing.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Well poo poo now that I know I can finally be Chris Dane Owens I am pretty interested in Blue Rose.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
I'm not entirely sure which thread I should ask this is okay.

My friend is very interested in playing a Mass Effect pen and paper game. I haven't been able to find an official game for it, but what homebrew games/add-ons have been made for it? Are they any good? Even just a few links would do.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Suleman posted:

My friend is very interested in playing a Mass Effect pen and paper game. I haven't been able to find an official game for it, but what homebrew games/add-ons have been made for it? Are they any good? Even just a few links would do.

Friend and fellow goon madadric has a space hack ( heavily mass effect inspired) of the apocalypse world game.

Follow the quote, and a few pages before this, someone posted mass effect apocalypse, a different apocalypse world hack that specifically uses mass effect names, races, and powers

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Basically it's Oops because it was not an intended consequence of my action! That "They should make a D&D for girls" "D&D is D&D for girls" thing crossed my eyeline one too many times and I posted a small rant about Blue Rose and how people were super-pissy about it not being explicitly marketed to dudes.

And then the rant got reposted by a mid-list urban fantasy writer. And then I kept getting notifications of other people responding to it, often some variation of, "Oh wow I'd never heard of this, oh, they still sell it on their site. I'll have to check it out!"

And I had not had coffee yet when I posted that.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Speaking of which, are there any other rpgs like Blue Rose? Aldea is nice and all, and I've seen some homebrew hacks on adapting it to Fate, but I'd like to check out if there are other official materials I could use.
It's a sadly neglected genre in elfgames.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Error 404 posted:

Friend and fellow goon madadric has a space hack ( heavily mass effect inspired) of the apocalypse world game.

Follow the quote, and a few pages before this, someone posted mass effect apocalypse, a different apocalypse world hack that specifically uses mass effect names, races, and powers

Thank you very much! I'll pass these on to her.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Suleman posted:

Thank you very much! I'll pass these on to her.

Groovy.
I think madadric's game is mostly standalone, but the other is just a reskin abd your friend would need the apocalypse world rules to understand it.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

unseenlibrarian posted:

Basically it's Oops because it was not an intended consequence of my action! That "They should make a D&D for girls" "D&D is D&D for girls" thing crossed my eyeline one too many times and I posted a small rant about Blue Rose and how people were super-pissy about it not being explicitly marketed to dudes.

And then the rant got reposted by a mid-list urban fantasy writer. And then I kept getting notifications of other people responding to it, often some variation of, "Oh wow I'd never heard of this, oh, they still sell it on their site. I'll have to check it out!"

And I had not had coffee yet when I posted that.

And as I commented when I saw it on my feed, one of the people who screamed bloody murder about Blue Rose being for girls went on to help make 5e. So no, DnD is not for girls. It is by and for people who don't want them in the hobby.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Suleman posted:

There's an adaptation of Space Master for Mass Effect. I play that on Sunday's and it work's pretty well.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What is Blue Rose, exactly?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Littlefinger posted:

Speaking of which, are there any other rpgs like Blue Rose? Aldea is nice and all, and I've seen some homebrew hacks on adapting it to Fate, but I'd like to check out if there are other official materials I could use.
It's a sadly neglected genre in elfgames.

I used Blue Rose to run a Wonderful Land of Oz game once. The system is really flexible.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

And as I commented when I saw it on my feed, one of the people who screamed bloody murder about Blue Rose being for girls went on to help make 5e. So no, DnD is not for girls. It is by and for people who don't want them in the hobby.

Can you link? I wanna see that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Night10194 posted:

What is Blue Rose, exactly?

A character from Tiger & Bunny. :v:

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

The worst I got from Magic players was the fact that they're all worthless thieving fucks who steal from real nerds. :shrug:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Can you link? I wanna see that.

Not much to link to. Pretty much the biggest poo poo talker both before and after Blue Rose changed to d20 was Tarnowski, who continues to rant to this day about the evil Marxist SJWs trying to corrupt tabletop gaming by caring about minorities. You know, the same guy proudly presented in the 5e credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

Not much to link to. Pretty much the biggest poo poo talker both before and after Blue Rose changed to d20 was Tarnowski, who continues to rant to this day about the evil Marxist SJWs trying to corrupt tabletop gaming by caring about minorities. You know, the same guy proudly presented in the 5e credits.

Oh, I know; he was doing much the same thing in a thread by Ron Edwards a couple of days ago. I just wanted to see how his rants go over in non-gaming circles.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 25, 2015

• Locked thread