Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Argona posted:

Can you still unlock the Lost with seeds?

I think you can, just as long as the Azazel run is not seeded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Ludovico owns with large stationary bosses like Gurdy or Mega Satan. You can just park it over them then focus on dodging everything.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

To the people who are wondering why wouldn't you use up soul hearts to buy stuff or why wouldn't you use Dead Cat whenever you can...

You do realize that many, many, many people are just decent at this game, not great? For instance, like many people when I first got the flash game I started with dying on the first floor every single time until I started learning the enemy patterns. I've gotten a lot better since then. I can win a game every few tries, if I get decent-to-good items and am a bit conservative with my hearts because I need them if enemy placements decide to be stupid or my reaction time is not fast enough, or that bug happens where the entire games suddenly decides to go at 2x speed for no reason whatsoever,

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Today I ruined a ??? Hard Mode/Dark Room run by learning that if 9 lives appears in one of your 4 red chests he cannot take it for "free". My damage was middling to ok but still I burned 4 lives on a triple Cage large room and the rest on a double Adversary room :(.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I just did a run with ??? which combined some damage upgrades, ipecac, and Dr. Fetus. I had explosion-immunity and could just bullrush enemies.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Alabaster White posted:

I think you can, just as long as the Azazel run is not seeded.

Yep, I did my Lost unlock on the current patch version, using seeds for the first three characters.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

did they patch the game in europe on the ps4 yet?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Now that there's nothing horribly broken on the PC version, it feels like forever since there's been a patch, bug-fixing or balancing or otherwise.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Argona posted:

Can you still unlock the Lost with seeds?

This will probably never be patched out, by the way. I'm not sure it's quite intended, but it's not a bug. It's just a consequence of how you unlock that character. The reason you can use seeds for everything except the last run is that you don't technically unlock anything or any achievements from those first runs. You only ever unlock something and get the achievement on the last run. So as long as that last run isn't seeded, you can do whatever you want.

Using seeds to get The Lost was never an exploit in the same way as seeded challenge runs were.

Also, I know people have broken achievements and stuff, but I really hope the Vita version is never patched again(despite it feeling like Flash Isaac in terms of framerate). They fixed the Dead Cat invulnerability along with most of the other bugs, but Krampus' Head is still a 3 room charge.

The more I play the game the more I think they've painted themselves into a corner in terms of balancing. You have a character like Azazel and you have a character like Lazarus fundamentally being thrown into the same game system. Along with that you also have the challenges and hard mode to think about. So Krampus' head being a 6 room charge seems reasonable maybe compared to its power when you're playing as Isaac or Azazel on Normal. When you're playing as The Lost on Hard, on the other hand, it feels like a giant punch in the dick that makes Krampus' Head nearly useless unless you've got a 9 Volt and Trickle Charge.

The balance in the original game worked because there was less variance between all the characters and challenges. With Rebirth, though, if you balance for Normal mode then you're making Hard Mode even more tedious. If you balance for Hard Mode then you make Normal mode too easy. If you balance for Azazel then Lazarus or The Lost are impossible. If you balance for The Lost then the game is a cakewalk.

I like the game a lot, but I feel like Normal Mode is far too easy and Hard Mode is too tedious. I wish they had more subtle balance differences between the 2 modes other than "lol, no keys, more champions." They constructed their hard mode the same way lovely difficulty levels in FPS games are done. I know they probably think there's some kind of elegance to it, but it just comes off as lazy.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 25, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

To the people who are wondering why wouldn't you use up soul hearts to buy stuff or why wouldn't you use Dead Cat whenever you can...

You do realize that many, many, many people are just decent at this game, not great? For instance, like many people when I first got the flash game I started with dying on the first floor every single time until I started learning the enemy patterns. I've gotten a lot better since then. I can win a game every few tries, if I get decent-to-good items and am a bit conservative with my hearts because I need them if enemy placements decide to be stupid or my reaction time is not fast enough, or that bug happens where the entire games suddenly decides to go at 2x speed for no reason whatsoever,

The thing is that Isaac is designed in such a way that having a high damage output is much better for your survival than having an extra heart. If you're a bad at dodging being able to kill an enemy faster is more likely to make you survive than having that one heart, especially once you hit the Womb. 3 Soul Hearts is a bit more arguable but still runs into the same category. Are you going to, overall, take three soul hearts of damage from enemies who you wouldn't have if you had whatever you were buying?

Dead Cat hits the same category. Yes, you lose excess Red Hearts if you buy it but unless you had a huge overabundance of Red Hearts that is a fairly minimal loss compared to 9 extra lives and 1/3rd of a Guppy run. Guppy is so central to easy wins that it's hard to imagine any number of red hearts being worth it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 25, 2015

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Carbon dioxide posted:

...or that bug happens where the entire games suddenly decides to go at 2x speed for no reason whatsoever,

Yeah, someone should file a bug report about that watch being broken.

ImpAtom posted:

The thing is that Isaac is designed in such a way that having a high damage output is much better for your survival than having an extra heart.

This is the truth. Enemies in Isaac rarely take more than 6-7 hits unless they're champions or you get hosed over on damage ups. Meanwhile there are items that triple your damage output like Cricket's Head or double it like 20-20. Then there's a bunch more smaller incremental damage ups that mean you can eventually one hit those enemies that used to take 6 or 7 hits. The damage ups are far more substantial upgrades than single hearts. A single heart might give you an extra 20% health, but the damage up might mean you take out enemies 25% faster or 50% faster. So the value of damage ups inside the game systems is just fundamentally more than health ups.

I've had a lot of runs where I get no damage, and get whittled away from 12 hearts on Sheol or Dark Room. I've also had a lot of runs where I beat the game with 4 hearts because I got lots of damage ups. I've also noticed in my Lost runs that my progress is pretty much always gated by my damage. Sometimes Dead Cat or Holy Mantle let me go a bit further, but usually not too much further. If you don't have the damage to back up Dead Cat and Holy Mantle you'll just use up all your lives fighting Mom's Heart or whatever.

Also, Red Hearts are pretty bad for most builds. If you have Leech or Placenta I could understand the argument, but I like to stay around only 1 or 2 red hearts because I usually have more trouble filling heart containers late game than finding spirit hearts.

Side note: I've decided the best way to balance make The Lost fun is to start him with the D6. That would allow you to be more likely to get the items you need, and also keep to the spirit of the character by making him essentially a copy of the base Isaac character. Plus, re-rolling is a fun meta-game that makes it feel less like a slot machine than it's current state of just retrying until you get carried.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 25, 2015

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

The thing is that Isaac is designed in such a way that having a high damage output is much better for your survival than having an extra heart. If you're a bad at dodging being able to kill an enemy faster is more likely to make you survive than having that one heart, especially once you hit the Womb. 3 Soul Hearts is a bit more arguable but still runs into the same category. Are you going to, overall, take three soul hearts of damage from enemies who you wouldn't have if you had whatever you were buying?

Dead Cat hits the same category. Yes, you lose excess Red Hearts if you buy it but unless you had a huge overabundance of Red Hearts that is a fairly minimal loss compared to 9 extra lives and 1/3rd of a Guppy run. Guppy is so central to easy wins that it's hard to imagine any number of red hearts being worth it.

Yeah, once I stopped being afraid of using the devil/curse rooms, my completion rate shot up considerably. I went from barely getting through depths to pretty much always being able to at least kill Mom.

I'm not amazing at the game, but I'm at the point where unless I get royally lovely luck on drops I'm pretty much always going to at least get to Mom's Heart/It Lives! A Devil room item can make the difference between a bad run and an easy one (especially if you get Brimstone or Dark Bum. Holy poo poo is Dark Bum broken).

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

After my third run with no Angel Rooms, I'm taking in Judas. I need to unlock the Guillotine anyway (not the Left Hand, since I already had a fight with Ultra Pride).

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

ImpAtom posted:

This. In the chicken-egg problem of 'I take too much damage' and 'I don't spend on devil deals', I think avoiding the devil deals explains why you take a lot of damage.

I've probably gotten a little better at the game, mechanically speaking, since I started. But I'm in my 20s, it's not like my reaction times got better by playing this game. I probably haven't gotten 'better' at it in some other nebulous way either; I've played plenty of top down action games in my life. The biggest change between my first time playing the game to now is my attitude toward the game. Isaac generally rewards risky and sacrificial play.

To that end, I consider getting a soul heart on the first floor one of the hands-down most important things to do. I'll go for a blue rock instead of a secret room attempt on my first bomb. I really like having that buffer to get me through floor two without red heart damage. If I manage that, I get a devil room, and I'm usually golden for the run.

Being bad at dodging doesn't matter nearly so much if you spend 10-15 seconds clearing a room instead of 25-30 or more seconds.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 25, 2015

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

I beat Mega Satan. Might have gone smoother if I'd thought to use my Strength card sooner, but I guess I was so fixated on wanted to have fought him as Guppy and only getting two of the three items needed.

I'm probably the only person here who hadn't already beaten the game, but still thought I'd spoiler this out:

So, what's going on in the final ending? Isaac suffocates in his toy chest and is reborn as a demon?

Also, I know Isaac's already dead in the game, having suffocated in his toy chest, but is he in Purgatory, Hell, or just a dying hallucination?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Have you read this article? Edmund said it's the closest thing anyone has written to what was in his head when he was planning out the game.

http://www.twinfinite.net/2012/10/01/big-sloppy-slomper-chompers/

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Poizen Jam posted:

This. In the chicken-egg problem of 'I take too much damage' and 'I don't spend on devil deals', I think avoiding the devil deals explains why you take a lot of damage.

I've probably gotten a little better at the game, mechanically speaking, since I started. But I'm in my 20s, it's not like my reaction times got better by playing this game. I probably haven't gotten 'better' at it in some other nebulous way either; I've played plenty of top down action games in my life. The biggest change between my first time playing the game to now is my attitude toward the game. Isaac generally rewards risky and sacrificial play.

To that end, I consider getting a soul heart on the first floor one of the hands-down most important things to do. I'll go for a blue rock instead of a secret room attempt on my first bomb. I really like having that buffer to get me through floor two without red heart damage. If I manage that, I get a devil room, and I'm usually golden for the run.

Being bad at dodging doesn't matter nearly so much if you spend 10-15 seconds clearing a room instead of 25-30 or more seconds.

Getting a soul heart on the first floor is absolutely the key to victory. I can pretty consistently clear the second floor without taking any damage with a decent loadout but if you're not restarting then more often than not you're going to have poo poo.

Then you just have to hope for a halfway decent item in the devil room, which is not something I have a lot of luck with.

I'm almost inclined to say that Judas is overall the best character just because of his ability to get a devil room on every floor.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

ErIog posted:

Have you read this article? Edmund said it's the closest thing anyone has written to what was in his head when he was planning out the game.

I've read this before and it's utterly fantastic. The ending of BoI:R makes it even more sad when you add the final ending to it.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I think the D6 is more powerful, but Judas is definitely the most fun and consistent character of the bunch.

Shame- Cain used to be my go to in Flash Isaac and I can't stand him anymore.

Edit:

Nice try, game!

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 25, 2015

Happy Big Fun
Jul 23, 2004
Yay!

Codiekitty posted:

So, what's going on in the final ending? Isaac suffocates in his toy chest and is reborn as a demon?

Also, I know Isaac's already dead in the game, having suffocated in his toy chest, but is he in Purgatory, Hell, or just a dying hallucination?

If the keyhole is big enough for that keyhole-shaped light to get through, that's plenty of air getting in.

The plot of the game is the intro movie and random not-well-thought-out ending movies. They don't hold up to scrutiny; feel free to ignore the plot.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Happy Big Fun posted:

The plot of the game is the intro movie and random not-well-thought-out ending movies. They don't hold up to scrutiny; feel free to ignore the plot.

They don't form a detailed linear story in the way we are used to talking about story in games, but I don't think they need to be ignored. It seems to me like the game is a child's fantasy life while being locked in a basement by his abusive mom. Similar to the World of Warcraft episode of South Park or the recent South Park game, Isaac is not actually killing his mom while locked in his room or locked in the basement, but he's fantasizing about fighting monsters to get powerful enough to take control of his situation. So each run or each ending is kind of like a separate time that his mom has locked him up, and the different characters are the different things that he has pretended to be in his fantasy. Isaac's perception of himself has changed over time, and so each character is like a separate incident or separate time in his childhood.

The items you unlock are commonly real world objects that Isaac is playing pretend with, and the endings are dramatizations of his fantasy. Every fantasy ends, though, with him locking himself in the chest because that's where he hides. The Mega Satan ending is an extreme version of that where he becomes catatonic.

So as a rough description of the game, Binding of Isaac is a video game depiction of a child's evolving fantasy life while growing up in an ultra-religious abusive household. It's a game that doesn't really have a plot, but it has setting and detail if you go looking for it. Demons' Souls has a lot of storytelling like this too, and I think it's one of the better ways to do interactive storytelling. It's like the video game equivalent of "show, don't tell."

ErIog fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jan 25, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Happy Big Fun posted:

If the keyhole is big enough for that keyhole-shaped light to get through, that's plenty of air getting in.

Thank you for giving me permission oh god of video game storytelling

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

psivamp posted:

I really wish there was an ARM linux build of the game. I bought a NVIDIA Tegra K1-based Chromebook and slapped linux on it. Now I don't want to use my 9 lb. regular laptop if I can use my 3 lb. Chromebook for stuff.

I e-mailed Nicalis, but haven't heard back. I don't really expect to -- ARM-based linux boxes with enough power to actually play a game are a very very small market.

Lol

Dear people, could you invest hundreds of man-hours on my behalf for no recompense?

Yours,
Goon

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

o.m. 94 posted:

Lol

Dear people, could you invest hundreds of man-hours on my behalf for no recompense?

Yours,
Goon

Actually, other than Steam's library, I have ARM-flavored versions of everything. Cross-compiling for another architecture from C/C++ is not necessarily a large effort anymore.
Obviously I don't work there, but if they're using a sane build system like CMake (there are others, I hear good things about Scons and waf) and a good compiler chain, they could try to build for an ARM target with no code-level changes and see if it builds. Removing Steam is probably an existing pre-compiler directive option.

I'd dedicate my own time, but from how Edmund reacted to The Lost coming out hours ahead of the community getting legitimately, I'm guessing that the code and assets are under lock. That and the README in the resources dir saying that even if you manage to reverse engineer their packing of art assets could you PLEASE PLEASE not tell the world.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

psivamp posted:

Actually, other than Steam's library, I have ARM-flavored versions of everything. Cross-compiling for another architecture from C/C++ is not necessarily a large effort anymore.
Obviously I don't work there, but if they're using a sane build system like CMake (there are others, I hear good things about Scons and waf) and a good compiler chain, they could try to build for an ARM target with no code-level changes and see if it builds. Removing Steam is probably an existing pre-compiler directive option.

I'd dedicate my own time, but from how Edmund reacted to The Lost coming out hours ahead of the community getting legitimately, I'm guessing that the code and assets are under lock. That and the README in the resources dir saying that even if you manage to reverse engineer their packing of art assets could you PLEASE PLEASE not tell the world.

Whatever you're asking for, the world cannot give you. You have to forge your own destiny

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

ErIog posted:

Huh, I figured from playing Binding of Isaac Vanilla (I haven't put much time into Wrath of the Lamb. Should maybe remedy that.) that it was all going on in his head. I figured your run was a "game" he was playing while waiting for his mother to come kill him, but I missed the significance of the opening cinema of his mother hearing God being shown as drawings (meaning *that* was also in his head). Then when I saw the Cathedral and Chest endings and read some other stuff online, I thought it was all coming together.

Interesting read.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Codiekitty posted:

Huh, I figured from playing Binding of Isaac Vanilla (I haven't put much time into Wrath of the Lamb. Should maybe remedy that.)

Enjoy the bugs.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Even though I knew it was pointless for me to unlock The Lost because I'm not good enough I went ahead and did it anyway. Then I died a few times. Then I got a decent Stop Watch run going and made it to Isaac but died on a light beam; Guppy's Collar failed me after it had saved my rear end four times earlier.

I don't think I want to continue down this road... :\

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
If you're on the PC, you can quickly Alt-F4 out before you see the last will. Returning to the game will put you at the last point you saved which is typically when you first enter a level. Do this for the Lost so you don't go completely mad trying to roll luckily.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Or, for an even better time, don't play The Lost because The Lost is unfun garbage.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Ahahahah, game redeemed itself

first run, rerolled a couple times in an angel room thanks to a 48 hour energy, got godhead. Next floor, i also knock out Dead Dove from my item collection list. I keep seeing stuff like epic fetus and proptosis, and in the chest, in the final secret room i reroll twice and finally get missingo, passing up 1up and trascendence as i already had them

now i just need blue candle and stopwatch to complete my items page

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Sage Grimm posted:

If you're on the PC, you can quickly Alt-F4 out before you see the last will. Returning to the game will put you at the last point you saved which is typically when you first enter a level. Do this for the Lost so you don't go completely mad trying to roll luckily.

So much this, I did this when I got an amazing Lost run to finish unlocking with him. Otherwise it would have been such a pain.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
also gotta build them meat boy and bandage girls

and fight triachnid....

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Just had the LUCKIEST Waka Waka challenge. First curse room gave me guppy's tail and collar. I get growth hormones, pentagram judas' shadow first devil room, get suicide king card, about SIX balls of steel pills, 5 tears up pills. magic mushroom first thing on caves I, get the cat in another curse room. Game wanted me to win that so badly.

edit: oh yeah, and a pandora's box in a boss trap room that paid out 4 soul hearts

edit2: oh yeah! and i did the boss rush, and got the forget me now, and curbstomped mom a second time just to say I did.

something fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 26, 2015

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

ArfJason posted:

also gotta build them meat boy and bandage girls

and fight triachnid....

It's probably worthwhile to set up an infinite monster manual combo for them meat boys. Doing it natural is the path of madness.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I finally cleared Suicide King, Beans!, and Cat Got Your Tongue this weekend, and (not deliberately) ended up beating all of them without reroll rooms or pickups that totally trivialized the challenge.

I want to say Suicide King is the most fun and deceptively easy of all the hard challenges—even just a couple boosts to range and movement speed are enough to make your shots relatively easy to aim and avoid, and your shot is already very powerful right from the start. I picked up Guppy's Head around Depths II, and that helped a lot with the rooms where you can't maintain a safe distance from the enemies—but I could never accumulate a deadly halo of flies like I do on a normal run, and I succeeded mostly through precision shots.

Beans! was a loving nightmare, though, and I never want to do it again.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

It's probably worthwhile to set up an infinite monster manual combo for them meat boys. Doing it natural is the path of madness.

ive tried eternal monster manual rerolls but its also as minuscule of a chance of happening

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

I finally cleared Suicide King, Beans!, and Cat Got Your Tongue this weekend, and (not deliberately) ended up beating all of them without reroll rooms or pickups that totally trivialized the challenge.

I want to say Suicide King is the most fun and deceptively easy of all the hard challenges—even just a couple boosts to range and movement speed are enough to make your shots relatively easy to aim and avoid, and your shot is already very powerful right from the start. I picked up Guppy's Head around Depths II, and that helped a lot with the rooms where you can't maintain a safe distance from the enemies—but I could never accumulate a deadly halo of flies like I do on a normal run, and I succeeded mostly through precision shots.

Beans! was a loving nightmare, though, and I never want to do it again.

Beans! was great once I got sacrificial dagger in a curse room, and Book of Revelations + the Habit.

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008
Was looking for Godhead but thinking what are the chances, even this run where I can get a decent number of rerolls if I get into an angel room the chances are not great. Rerolled once and received godhead. Sadly I had mom's knife so didn't even get to see the effect, but I guess I'll try it out again sometime with a seed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Oddly enough godhead showed up on the run right after I was done with The Lost.