Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I shudder to think how much money I piss away on beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Finally got a collar and ID tag on STR catte #2 - the same collar/tag rear end in a top hat Casserole recommended. Boomerangtags.com for the tag, and Beastie Bands for the collar. Boomerangtags.com sells the basic beastie bands, and the combo is pretty heavily discounted.

He didn't like it one bit when he was awake, I get the feeling he's either never had a collar, or hasn't worn one in a long time. He kept trying to get it off between prying it off with a paw and hooking it in his jaw. :downs: I've loosened it up, and snuck it back on him while he was asleep. I'm going to wake up either to a pissed off cat, or a collarless cat.

It's elastic/velco, and loose enough that I can fit 3 fingers between the collar and his neck easily. I'll have to tighten it slightly once he's used to it, so that he can't remove it via paw + jaw action. He's passive enough that I think once he wakes up, he'll realize "well, poo poo, I'm stuck with this now" and just deal with it. I hope.

Also considering some netting around the back yard fence, so that I can let him hang out in the yard without worrying about him escaping (or the neighborhood cats dropping in, one of them really loves my catnip plants) Squeak wasn't a climber at all, he was content to find a corner and chill out. Anytime there's a loud noise, The Dude is instantly on something fairly high - tables, counters, etc - so I'm worried about him climbing the trees or saying "OH HELLO WOODEN FENCE THAT MY CLAWS CAN SINK INTO". We have a pretty drat nice back yard/patio (though small), and I'm out there often enough (either grilling, smoking :420:, trying to convince the chickenshit dog to take a poo poo in the grass, or just enjoying the weather) that it'd be nice to have him out there with me without worrying about him escaping. He's a goddamned ninja as it is.

meatpimp posted:

Never been a landlord, need to diversify. Too much sitting stagnant, need to put some into play.

I'm certainly not one to speak, but as someone else said, if you go through with this, hire a management company to handle the day to day stuff. They'll take a percentage, but they'll also have people on call for emergency repairs, have lawyers that know the laws in your area if/when things go sour, and make sure rent is collected on time. You can usually spell out what the management company will and won't do on your behalf.

It wouldn't hurt to go say hi to the tenants either, make sure they know who you are, who they can call in an emergency, etc.

Mat_Drinks posted:

Totally understandable. Do you have a real estate agent you like and know well? A lot of them also handle property management as a way to keep a steady stream of income coming in during the slower seasons. If you purchase the duplex through him/her you may also be able to work out affordable management so that you don't have to deal with the 2am 'the sewer is backed up' calls. It may be worth lowering the profit for the security of knowing someone else that does it for an at least partial living is taking care of it for you.

Make sure you have a good handyman and/or subs lined up too in case poo poo blows up so that you're aren't having to pay high rates for repairs that are required in short periods of time.

This too. I know in the city I used to live in (Denton), there was a real estate agent who personally managed several rental properties for others. A friend had rented through him and was very happy with everything; repairs were done quickly, payments were credited quickly, etc. Older house (1960s), but very well maintained - something you rarely see in rentals of that age.

There were also two huge property management firms that owned most of the cheaper housing near campus that were absolute nightmares to deal with - right up to their newer properties not even being wired for phone or cable service, and the only internet option was their heavily firewalled connection shared between the entire building (you'd also have to give them the MAC address of your PC, and could only have 1 computer - so you'd need a router that could spoof a MAC address to get your PS3 and PC online at the same time). Pretty sure there was quite a bit of illegal poo poo going with that. Even when I lived in dorms, I could still get a phone line and cable TV (basic cable was free), and the internet connection wasn't firewalled to poo poo (... when it worked, but if you got caught torrenting, you had to pay a fine and have them "clean your PC of all illegal material and torrent clients" to the university IT department).

meatpimp posted:

The nice thing about oil companies is that they pay dividends, so even if the stock stays flat, there's still some income. That said, I don't want any more exposure to oil, it's too volatile. At least I didn't jump in before the crash, or worse, buy futures a few months ago.

Edit: and perhaps the least-AI thing ever -- I've been watching craigslist for a cheap Prius, especially one that needs a battery pack. I think with the glut of cheap gas, people are going to be short-minded and go back to gas hogs... and I doubt that cheap gas is going to be a long-term thing.

My stepdad has been getting dividends from oil companies for decades now. It's not a whole lot anymore, but it's a bit of extra cash into his IRA every month.

Gas has already started to rebound slightly here. A week ago, I paid $1.65/gal. It's back up to $1.75-$1.85 in most areas.

I don't blame you one bit for watching for a Prius with a bad battery. Replacement batteries are pretty easy to find, and someone will let it go thinking the car is nearly worthless just because the battery is bad. The first gen Civic Hybrids also pop up fairly often with bad batteries, same with the Insight. If I had the cash sitting around, I'd be watching for them as well.

iwentdoodie posted:

I felt punch drunk. So it was great.

I love hot food, but I really like to know it's coming. Usually this place isn't THAT hot, even getting a 10/10, so it was a shock when three bites in my mouth was on fire and I had snot pouring out.

Your wife is awesome, and needs to order for me next time I'm in the mood for Thai.

This one Thai place I used to go to all the time kept the heat mild at first even though I asked for "extra hot". They'd ask how it was, I'd say it tastes great, but it's not hot at all. They'd ratchet it up a bit more every time I went in. They finally asked if it was hot enough yet when I was sweating a little bit. My answer was "it's getting there, go up one more notch next time and I think it'll be perfect". I miss that place, but I don't work in that area anymore.

I remember the first time I bought Dave's Gourmet Insanity sauce.. and thought it was meant to be used like a normal hot sauce. I covered a taco in it. I got about half the taco down before I realized "I've made a terrible mistake". That was my introduction to the world of real hot sauces.

I have to be careful with what I leave out now - STR Catte #2 will wander around desks, counters, even sinks looking for a nibble. He got into some a bowl I'd left on my desk that had only some sauce remaining - a creamy sauce - and was making GBS threads/puking everywhere all day. :smithicide: He got into a bowl of chili awhile back too, and it was a bit less of the same. Still training myself to get used to a "normal" cat that actually jumps up on stuff; Squeak would only jump on couches/beds, and not on counters, tables, or desks.

the spyder posted:

It's 61 outside. WTF. We have almost no snow pack. Summer is going to be hot and dry. Thanks Oregon.

We nailed 70+ a few days ago. Still hitting 60s during the day.

Fall/winter started off with below average daily highs, now we're really close to breaking daytime high records. We had a pretty mild summer, at least.

We have a :airquote: cold front :airquote: coming in today. We've only dropped below freezing a handful of times this season; it's still very much t-shirt and shorts weather here. :argh:

Rhyno posted:

Racist. What did Skrillex ever do to you?

I wouldn't kick him out of bed.

There, I said it. Though he looked better with long hair.

rscott posted:

I don't drink much anymore but I spent $3700 on :350: last year, sometimes budget tracking can be depressing

I'm pretty sure I spent less than $150 on :350: last year. Actually, probably closer to $100, though I did get plenty for free.

I don't smoke anywhere near what I used to. And when I do, 99% of the time it's through my vape (my cute widdle MFLB). I have zero THC tolerance whatsoever

Alcohol, on the other hand.. well, it's probably close to what you spent on weed.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 25, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Double post time.

Including myself, I know 4 people with Ions in person, all 2.2s.

All of theirs lose oil like crazy. My boss's needs a few quarts between oil changes (2004, minor visible leaks, 130k), coworker's needs 3+ quarts with no visible leaks (2006, 80k), and her favorite oil change shop has documented "it came in with no oil". friend's with 150k (2005) just windowed the block due to.. you got it, no oil. Mine is an 06 with a valve cover leak.

I go 7k+ on oil changes with synthetic oil. Same engine. What gives? I'm losing about 1/2 quart between oil changes. I'm at about 110k. And I drive it like I stole it at least a few times a week.

Again, same engine across all samples. Did I just wind up with a bizarro sample? I have a leak from the valve cover (and it could easily account for the 1/2 qt), but I'm pretty sure that leak is why I lose much of 1/2 of that quart.

All of them have the GM Ecotec L61 2.2L. Just luck of the draw, or was mine insanely well maintained before I got it? Even Blackstone has given me comments along the lines of "your wear levels are far lower than we expect from this engine".

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I haven't touched hard alcohol since new years 2012-2013 because I ruined it for myself.

And 5 beers is a lot now... what the hell happened to me?

Oh well, that money goes toward junkyarding and welding wire now.

E: STR, you probably got a car that was well maintained and they got ones that were barely maintained. Ring/bore wear would account for that, and is usually caused by not enough oil or lovely oil change schedules.

kastein fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 25, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I know I'm only the 2nd owner of my car (Carfax says 3rd, but looking at Carfax, it looks like they applied for a Texas title a few days before trading it in) - so yeah, I'm going with "maintained very well". If you pull the valve cover, it looks brand new.

The two coworkers with Ions (my boss and one of our cooks) have both owned their cars since new though, and have gone by the "oil change" indicator. Guessing they went with the cheapest oil. I know even 2 years after buying mine, it still looks drat close to showroom quality inside and out, aside from the floormats and some chips in the hood.

My boss's Ion isn't quite as showroom mint...

I've promised to pick up the parts to fix the front clip next time I'm at pick and pull, but the bumper and headlights are 04 (MAYBE 03 as well) sedan specific, same with the grill. It definitely needs the bumper skin, styrofoam core, metal beam behind the bumper, wheel well liner, and a bit of sexy time with a big loving hammer. I haven't asked if the airbag light is constantly on yet; if it is, that means a lot more expense. He's even stated he doesn't care if they're remotely the same color. Thankfully the fender is fine, and the upper radiator support will only need a little TLC from a BFH.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 25, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Stop talking about not drinking, you're all making me feel bad.
I'm with 13".
Last night was the first night I stayed up until 5AM for a long time and drunk shitloads. I've been good for a few weeks, but was hell trashed today and now feel terrible. I've ran out of whatever the Dr gave me, it is a long weekend here, was happy about not buying a fuel pump but angry/depressed that centrelink cut me off

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 25, 2015

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Adiabatic posted:

OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD IM GONNA BE POOR NOW

Get an R32 skyline so I can live through you

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

Let me know how this turns out and if you like it once you get into it. I want to eventually do something similar.

Are you on BiggerPockets? They've got a great podcast.

I'll update if there's any action. My wife is a lawyer, so she's got that part covered and I'm a detail-oriented prick (surprise, eh?) so I'll keep well on top of maintenance/repairs/etc.

Since the renters are long-term, they are probably month-to-month. My wife would want to at least start things out with a year lease, so I said to cut rent by $25/month in exchange... this will probably all change when I see that it's a dump and ready to fall down, but we'll see when I go through it tomorrow.

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

:suezo:

It's happening!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpxgSJVpXns

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
My kid loves watching MotoGP highlights. I dont know if its the awesome brit/aussie announcers or the bright colors or what, but he is literally standing 1' from the TV, totally engaged. Hes not quite 3 years old, but I think I know the sorts of things he might be into as he gets older :v:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

PaintVagrant posted:

My kid loves watching MotoGP highlights. I dont know if its the awesome brit/aussie announcers or the bright colors or what, but he is literally standing 1' from the TV, totally engaged. Hes not quite 3 years old, but I think I know the sorts of things he might be into as he gets older :v:

Not necessarily, i apparently loved spiders until I was about 4 years old till I played a game of hide and seek and gotstuck under an upturned wheel barrow i couldnt get out from under and they were crawling all over me.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Hopefully my kid doesnt get trapped under any sort of motorcycle transports!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

I haven't touched hard alcohol since new years 2012-2013 because I ruined it for myself.

And 5 beers is a lot now... what the hell happened to me?

Oh well, that money goes toward junkyarding and welding wire now.
Why don't you build a still? You strike me as the kind of person who should build a still.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I just found out AKG Motorsports has a mono-wiper kit for E30s. :shepspends:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

rscott posted:

punk rock was also invented by 3 black dudes from detroit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9obRQDQsEI

I don't drink much anymore but I spent $3700 on :350: last year, sometimes budget tracking can be depressing

I had never heard this band before. Thank you, defenitley something that was missing in my life.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Just checked air pressure on old porsche turbo rocking P345/35/15 pirellis on the rear

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I budget $20 a week on beer. I regularly go over that.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I've got a thing for midgets...

Straps... bush... shackles... retainers... mmmm... they got what I want, they got what I NEED

Jam a rusty SU carburetor damper into my urethra...

They're shaped like that for a reason

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 25, 2015

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Just checked air pressure on old porsche turbo rocking P345/35/15 pirellis on the rear

Holy poo poo.
Those are Pirellis only made every few years, mostly for Countach owners. They're over $700 each!

(My widebody 240z runs the same size tires, too bad I can never afford them)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

InitialDave posted:

Why don't you build a still? You strike me as the kind of person who should build a still.

I would consider it but I literally couldn't stomach the smell/taste of hard alcohol again (assuming on the taste part...) until a year or so later.

I am perfectly happy with my beers and ciders, like the flavor more and I can drink more of them without getting shitfaced. Think I will stick with that for now.

I do kinda miss a couple of the whiskeys I liked, but I sorta ruined them for myself anyways, so...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

E: goddammit cellphone, don't double post things because I had the temerity to minimize the browser for a moment :argh:

kastein fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 25, 2015

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

mafoose posted:

(My widebody 240z runs the same size tires, too bad I can never afford them)

... I need to see pictures of said widebody 240Z if you have them :stare:

Also, finished my last Regulations test for my Basic Water Distribution course. So, that feels kinda good. Maybe this highschool dropout might make something of himself one day.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rhyno posted:

Dubstep, truly the whitest music.

The original stuff originated from dub reggae. The UK scene back in the beginning around 2000 was massive soundsystems in grimy basements filled with masses of bass and weed smoke. It was when the US got hold of it that things became very white and terrible.

EDM is white as gently caress, the rest of the world has known it as just 'dance music' because we've all known that synths have been involved since the 70s but America needed to brand it and it's never really sat well with me. I mean house music is 'EDM' and you lot invented it! Most enduring genre of the lot. Errone loves house.

Oh and I'm on a train home and there was a dude wearing a clip on tail sat across from me. :/

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I pissed away $7000+ on liquor, beer, and bar tabs one year. I'm trying to keep it under $1000 this year. I'm already at $150 for January, though...

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

goatse guy posted:

I pissed away $7000+ on liquor, beer, and bar tabs one year. I'm trying to keep it under $1000 this year. I'm already at $150 for January, though...

That sounds like my 2012. I was out every night after work and just in a drunken stupor on the weekends.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

That sounds like my 2012. I was out every night after work and just in a drunken stupor on the weekends.

2012 was a banner year for drunk goons. I was barely able to make rent several times because of how much we were partying.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

2012 was a banner year for drunk goons. I was barely able to make rent several times because of how much we were partying.

I didn't eat much but I figured all the carbs kept me full. Seriously.... It was terrible. But I didnt gain weight.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I didn't eat much but I figured all the carbs kept me full. Seriously.... It was terrible. But I didnt gain weight.

I got fat as gently caress. And all I ate was fast food which probably didn't help either.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
60* and sunny in Seattle today, I don't even know how that is possible but the wife and I dumped Baby Ulysses at grandma's and now we're having liters of German beer :feelsgood:

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 26, 2015

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

So today I went to Harbor Freight because they had their cheapie buffer pads for $1. The sun was out and there was hardly a cloud in the sky.

By the time I got home, there was a torrential downpour. So much for that idea (I'm ready for spring).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I think the most I've ever spent on alcohol in a year was like, 500 bucks. And that's taking my estimate of what I drank, rounding it up to the next bottle per month, doubling it, and adding a hundred or so for the poo poo I'm sure I forgot. How the hell are you people still alive and in possession of functioning livers?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kastein posted:

I think the most I've ever spent on alcohol in a year was like, 500 bucks. And that's taking my estimate of what I drank, rounding it up to the next bottle per month, doubling it, and adding a hundred or so for the poo poo I'm sure I forgot. How the hell are you people still alive and in possession of functioning livers?

I don't recall anyone making that claim.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Well a good craft beer from the grocery store is going to be at least a buck and a quarter, and 1 beer a day is 365 beers a year, which isn't that many beers in a whole year. And that doesn't account for beers drank in restaurants or bars

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Weed is way more expensive. :20bux:

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
Sitting here at work eating some bomb rear end vegan chili. Would have never guessed I would be saying that a few months ago, but it is seriously one of my favorite foods now.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

All the flavor in chili comes from vegetables anyway, just sub meat for wheat gluten, tofu, mushrooms or whatever.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Fucknag posted:

All the flavor in chili comes from vegetables anyway, just sub meat for wheat gluten, tofu, mushrooms or whatever.

It's all about that fuckin quinoa man.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Holdbrooks posted:

Sitting here at work eating some bomb rear end vegan chili. Would have never guessed I would be saying that a few months ago, but it is seriously one of my favorite foods now.

Sell the ram.

goatse guy posted:

It's all about that fuckin quinoa man.

The hell did you do to earn THAT. :stonk:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

cursedshitbox posted:

Whatever she did, it's loving glorious :allears:

e: Oh holy poo poo, I just realized it's from Meat Loaf's "Bat Out Of Hell" album cover, that makes it even better :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

cursedshitbox posted:

Complete shot in the dark here: Be a woman on the internet. (Because the internet is terrible.)

• Locked thread